'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Living out of a dressing room

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-11 11:01 AM
20 replies, 9728 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mi rider
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 9:45 AM (#43922)
Subject: Living out of a dressing room

Any tips on how to live out of a dressing/tack area.we have a small 2 horse straight load with no rear tack.Need ideas on how to live out of one of these for a week at a time at shows and camping.We also have no electic, we can do coolers and are checking inot one of those koolaire's for air conditioning.Any suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 10:54 AM (#43928 - in reply to #43922)
Subject: RE: Living out of a dressing room

Elite Veteran

Back when all I had was a 2 horse straight load, I cleaned out the back when the horses were unloaded and put 2 cots in there with sleeping bags.Worked pretty good and saved a lot of motel bills.If you need to shower or whatever you can fold up the cots and give yourself more room.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 12:13 PM (#43937 - in reply to #43922)

Extreme Veteran

You can also make yourself an awning by securing a large tarp on one side and pulling it over the top. Then stake it with some tent poles. Having the shade will help the inside temp a little. We got some tent poles that "telescope" up to about 7 ft. at WalMart and some nylon tie line and stakes that drive into the ground. Not too expensive and makes a nice place to sit in the shade.

RIDE ON!

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-07-03 12:41 PM (#43939 - in reply to #43922)

Elite Veteran

I was getting ready to post exactly the same question! I am preparing for a three day show in a couple of weeks and was looking for good advice for how to camp out of a non-LQ dressing room. The show grounds I will be at has shower facilities so will be able to use those, but I have heard good things about a portable shower made by Coleman. Its basically a 5 gallon black plastic bladder you hang outside and its heated by the sun, then you bring it inside to the horse area to shower.

But I'm interested in hearing everyones "If I would have known then what I know now" about horse trailer camping.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-03 1:33 PM (#43943 - in reply to #43922)

Expert

We live out of a dressing room shell with A/C, generator, awning, small freezer rather than a fridge, microwave, LP gas stove/grill, fans and a shower made out of a couple 2 1/2 gallon hand pump up sprayers along with a clean muck bucket. Got that idea last week on this site and it worked like a champ. Thanks to those that posted those ideas! Got 125 gallons of water in the bed of the truck for the horses drinking water, my bath water and fire supression if needed. You can make it as rough or as nice as you like. Once you start adding little odds and ends, you'll soon run out of trailer, I know that I'm about to!
paintthatain't
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-07-03 7:33 PM (#43951 - in reply to #43922)

Regular

Headhunter, I live in Wa also and even though we have had great weather recently the experience i have had with the solar showers has been "luke warm" to say the least. I have however heard good things about the little coleman propane wtr heaters. We have some rodeos coming up and am thinking about picking one up.

PTA

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-07-03 7:39 PM (#43952 - in reply to #43922)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for that heads up on the solar heated hot water! I like my shower hot, so would have been dissappointed with lukewarm. I wondered how effective they would be on our mostly overcast days.

One question that comes up, with all these nifty gadgets and such, how does everything get stored so its not all rolling around in the tack room going down the road? I plan to get a stud divider so the first stall of my 3 horse trailer can be a stuff/mud room, but I'm still not liking the idea of things like a propane tank and hot water heater being loose in the back of the trailer with the horse. I have a friend that sets up a propane powered hot water tank in her rear collapsible tack, but due to the configuration of my dressing room I use my rear tack for tack.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-03 8:37 PM (#43959 - in reply to #43922)

Extreme Veteran

As far as storing stuff such as a propane heater/shower buy one of those rubbermaid totes, the big ones and put it in your first stall. I have one and it holds alot of gear and fits perfect in that space.

Before I got my LQ trailer I also camped in my bumper pull in the dressing room. If you had electric available you could run an electric cord through the dressing room door and use one of those multiple plug in thingys(think computer!) to plug in a  heater or fan and a radio or for a blow dryer or even one of those plug in coolers. Otherwise invest in alot of batteries for flashlights and a radio. The horse shows I went to had electric hook-up so it was nice to have that and have either a fan or heater in there with me(not to mention the noise of a fan helps to drown out that outside noise so you can sleep!)

I slept on one of those flip out beds in a sleeping bag. It folds into a chair and was actually quite comfy and didn't take up much space when folded. I think Wally world sells them.

Sleeping in your bumper pull dressing room is doable and you can get creative as to storing stuff or things you can put in there with you, other than your tack!! I sure don't miss those days though, especially when nature called during the night and no porta potty!! I would invest in one of those too and if you have a walk-thru door, keep in the horse area.

I am loving my LQ trailer now!

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 10:43 PM (#43966 - in reply to #43922)

Veteran

Do you have a cap for your truck?  I have a friend who has an air mattress in the back of his truck cap (he is close to 80 yo).  I also have a a younger friend (50) who has a 2 horse straight with walk thru to dressing/tack room. She sweeps the shavings to one side and lays down a tarp. She has an air mattress that goes on top. She puts her cooler next to it as a table for a night lamp and clock. She uses a 5 gal white bucket with trash can liner and shavings for a porti-potti. She hangs privacy curtains with tape. You can get a milk crate for your propane tank to store in. You can use the milk crate as a step if needed.  You can purchase a large plastic storage tote from Walmart that is water proof. Carry it in the trailer or back of truck (secure lid). Store everything you need in it for overnighting and take it out and store in tackroom when not needed. I have seen the kind that ride in the back of the truck in the automotive section at Walmart.  I have a coleman shower ($19.99? at Kmart) that I use.  I heat water (propane stove and large coffee pot) and pour in a 5 gal white bucket, drop the shower end in and there you are.  I also have an electric burner I use with electric hook ups.  You can get an EZ UP at Walmart for less than $100. You can't imagine how much it cools off the inside of the trailer.  Put it up by your door if possible or at least by open windows so it can move the air inside. Get a good 5 day cooler and use chunks of ice in the bottom for food.  I freeze water in 9X13 cake pans and put it in heavy plastic bags and tie closed.  Everything doesn't get soggy. I use a 2nd cooler for drinks and have to buy bagged ice. You can get one of those battery packs (car jumper/12V power) and use a 12V fan with it.  I used mine 2 nights and only used 1/2 the charge.  We do alot of rough camping.   Any other questions ask.

Edited by Rockinghorserun 2006-07-03 10:57 PM
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-07-04 3:06 PM (#44006 - in reply to #43922)

When we use to camp in our our steel 2 horse slant trailer we used strong magnets to hold up curtains on the butt wall slat side.  I also used the plastic banquet table liners to cover up horse poop if some got left on the wall- not so much an issue in the fall but definitely a must during the summer.  As someone said, a tarp on the floor keeps things tidy.  Walmart also sells a magnectic towell bar- very inexpensive- which is nice to put on the wall to hang a shirt or wet face cloth on.  I liked sleeping on a cot w/ coil springs for two reasons, one- it wasn't halfway bad to sleep on and two- it allowed us a place to store clothes or things we might want with us and not locked up in the dressing room as we had no walkthrough door in that trailer.

We had the Walmart camp potty in the small dressing room.  Depending on the availablity of electricity you can go wild with wonderful things or use propane and battery powered things to carry you through.

Good luck!

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-04 7:23 PM (#44013 - in reply to #43922)

Elite Veteran

Here's what I use to do when I "REALLY" camped.  The easiest, cheapest, and most convenient to handle for a shower, are gallon water jugs.  Those coleman water bladders are a nice concept, until you have to try to pick 5 gal. of water over your head to hang it up.  I would take 1 gal water bottles (milk jugs) and set them in the sun all day.  I would use a muck bucket (not the one used for the poop) to stand in.  I could bathe and wash my hair with 1 1/2 gallon of water.  Now, if you really want to go fancy, you could get a truck bed tent.  They're really cool.  I believe you can find them in Cabela's catalog.  Nothing is going to keep you cool in the back of a horse trailer without air conditioning.  After arriving, clean out the back of the trailer, close windows and doors and spray with fly killer.  Hopefully you have screens on the windows.  If not, buy some screen, cut to the size of windows, sew on some velcro and stick to the inside of the trailer.  I also carried one of those EZ up canopies.  Alot less hassle to put up then tarps.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-04 7:50 PM (#44015 - in reply to #43922)

Elite Veteran

When my wife and I started out, all we had was an older arrow-nose Wrangler GN with no frills. We made sure we took short trips and camped with friends whenever we could to learn as much as we could. What works extremely well for one person, might not work as well for someone else. The "cowboy shower" is a must for the ladies. We joked about being able to pay for it the first year by renting it for $1.00/15 minutes. We always used coolers for food and ice and still do. We have a fairly new slant LQ with all the frills. We've never used the micro-wave, the refridgerator got used in the beginning, but now we are back to using the coolers for everything. We haven't had a need to use the A/C yet, since we don't use the trailer too much in hot weather. The A/C gets used when the trailer is parked in the driveway and my wife needs a break from the kids to read a book, take a nap or just have some quiet time to herself. We bought our new trailer as a "show special" and it came with a lot of options we don't need right now. We might start using all the options at a later date (and the kids are gone).

My best suggestion is just look around at what others are doing at your level and make improvements and additions to your camping supplies/equipment as the budget will allow and the need arises. Happy trails.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-05 1:31 AM (#44029 - in reply to #43922)

Expert

I have a small dressing room in my trailer and have been using a 2.5cubic foot refrig with a power inverter and a deep cycle marine battery.  It keeps everything ice cold while I am traveling and I charge the battery overnight when I have the generator and ac running. 
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-05 11:57 AM (#44056 - in reply to #43922)

Elite Veteran

Lots of great suggestions here.  I also have the shower that you drop in a water bucket after heating some water.  I hang a shower curtain up in the back of the trailer for privacy and keep the portapotty behind it besides showering. 

I sleep in the dressing room.  Lay down a tarp, then 2 mattresses, pillow, and sleeping bag.  I have one of those headlamps and can read at night after leaving the campfire.  Once the DR door is closed, it's like my private bedroom. 

I freeze 1/2 gallon jugs of water as the solid blocks will stay solid much longer as well as smaller thinner  bottles I take riding so I have cold water on the trail.

The key in keeping things more organized is to hang them high off the floor as much as possible.  I have multiple blanket bars for towels, 3 brush trays, and a bridle bar with 8 hooks in the DR.  I have D-rings installed in the Dr & use bungee cords to secure tables, chairs, etc while traveling. Also have a bar across the v area that I hang other stuff on, carriers to hold stuff, saddle bags, & could hang shirts, pants, etc if necessary.  I usually pack a duffle bag with my clothes & keep in the back seat of my truck.

I put hay bales in vinyl bale bags so the hay stays dry and less mess and store the hay in the truck bed while traveling (bungee it to the truck) and then move it to the trailer horse area when parked. 

I'm thinking of buying a small fridge to use when electric is available to have in addition to the cooler and keep stuff in there that I need to get to more often. 

I have one of the E-Z up canopies, but find I stopped bringing it and am getting an awning installed instead.  It does come in handy for other times though.

I wrote an article on Camping with your Horse awhile back and it includes tons of ideas, food suggestions, etc.  If anyone is interested, send me your email address to my inbox and I'll be happy to send it you.  It might have some info you could use.

Good luck and happy camping.

Edited by Dunoir 2006-07-06 12:51 PM
Hellevig
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-06 12:28 AM (#44116 - in reply to #44056)

I have a two-horse bumper pull trailer and have installed a 35-gallon water tank, water pump and a hot water heater, countertop with sink, platform with bed, shelves and cabinets. I have shower installed in the horse section, along with a hand-held shower head that I remove when hauling. It's cozy but complete! I use coolers and do cooking outside, and it's a great setup. Having running hot water is the best, and gets better each day of a multi-day trip!
Bonnie
daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 12:40 AM (#46336 - in reply to #44116)

Regular

Your set up sounds great!  Any pictures available?

Daafy

Hellevig
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 11:39 AM (#46352 - in reply to #46336)

Yes, I do have some photos! I didn't take any photos of the work in progress until I began to cut the huge hole for the hot water heater. I'm pretty much done now and it's been lots of fun. It's just a 2H bumper pull and no one can believe it when they see what's in there. Having hot water is the very best of all.

Here are photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/whinneycal

Bonnie
clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 12:42 PM (#46356 - in reply to #43922)

Regular

Hellvig, You are very handy and creative! Perhaps you should go in the conversion business. Excellent job!Colleen
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-08-10 4:06 PM (#46360 - in reply to #43922)

Extreme Veteran

I camp out of my dressing room in my 2H GN slant load.  I got a pass through door from the DR to the horse stalls.  I clean out the back after the horses are unloaded and set up the porta potty and Coleman Hot Water on Demand shower in the back.  You can't get magnets to work on the walls of an aluminum trailer so I rely on the suction cup hooks to hang curtains over the windows for privacy.  I just bought an 18 gallon water tank for the DR but hubby hasn't got it set up yet.  I took the mattress out of a convertible sofa for the gooseneck.  We use coolers for the food.  I can't decide if I want to spend the money on the deep cycle batteries and the electric set-up.  I love the hot water on demand.  It uses a bottle of propane and a rechargable battery.  The water heats up instantly.  I tried the solar bags, but for reasons listed by others here, it just wasn't worth it.  I also got a remote control Coleman lantern (battery powered).  I hang that near the horses and if I hear any commotion, I hit the remote and it lights up the horse area and I can see from inside the trailer.  Works much better than a flashlight!
cynthia
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 11:00 AM (#46395 - in reply to #44056)

Please forward your article on Camping w/ your horse.

Thank you

cynthia
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 11:01 AM (#46397 - in reply to #44116)

Bonnie...can you email me pictures of your dressing room?  I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks

Cindy

Cynthia.Schultz@Schreiberfoods.com

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'