'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Little Lusk lodge or Hayes Canyon, Shawnee National Forest

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-30 10:27 PM
20 replies, 16736 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-18 8:23 PM (#37460)
Subject: Little Lusk lodge or Hayes Canyon, Shawnee National Forest

Elite Veteran

We've got the trail riding bug while sitting here in -0 weather. Would like to know if anyone has stayed at Little Lusk Trail Lodge or Hayes Canyon campground in the Shawnee National Forest. We went to Shawnee last year and loved it and would like to return to a different campground this year. Any info on other camps is fine too.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-18 10:41 PM (#37471 - in reply to #37460)
Subject: RE: Little Lusk lodge or Hayes Canyon, Shawnee National Forest

I live 100 mi. north of Shawnee National forest and love it, I have rode lusk creek area but not stayed at little lusk lodge, I have rode the bay creek, bear branch and hags canyon area, it is all good, there is also a circle B camp which is on lusk creek.
I prefer to go to High Knob which is 25 miles on east, I camp on private property more than in camp when friends go then we go into High Knob camp. I like the riding there a lot more, when leaving camp you are in the rocks and creeks within 5-15 minutes of camp.And you can ride Garden of the Gods area to. High Knob fills up fast on holidays and is not a good camp ground it is hard to level up a trailer and poor showers etc. The first time at High Knob get some one to lead you.this is the best riding.There is also double M camp on east of high knob. The trails here has not been shut down as bad as the lusk creek area. The worst camp and riding is the 34 camp I will never go there again. You can find these camps on www.horseandmuletrails.com
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-02-18 10:41 PM (#37472 - in reply to #37460)

Veteran

We camped last July 4 at  www.BearBranch.com is really nice has alot to offer.Just check out web site.Circle B Branch was pretty small an sites really really close together.Few years ago we stayed at www.34Ranch.com was nice an our first time down to Shawnee Forest.Or try www.baycreekranch.com or www.onehorsegap.com

Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-19 8:14 AM (#37483 - in reply to #37460)

Veteran

Never camped at these but rode throught Hayes Canyon heard it was nice. WE usually go to Double M campground. It's a quiet campground, has a couple cabins and a resturant. Showers aren't always the best. You can ride over to High Knob and get the good riding there. Might be an all day ride. Heard High Knob can be a party camp on holidays (not for me) We liked the riding at Bay Creek also. I agree with JD about 34 Ranch, didn't like the riding there. Also if you are planning on a holiday better get your reservations in as soon as possible they do book up fast. Where ever you decide Happy Safe Trails.
Shari

Edited by Shari 2006-02-19 8:20 AM
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-19 7:27 PM (#37513 - in reply to #37460)

Veteran

Tammy, we have friends that have a permanent campsite at Hayes. They are always looking to meet new horse people. If you decide to stay there I can give you his email and maybe he can meet you and guide you. Let me know, Debbie
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-02-20 10:10 AM (#37533 - in reply to #37460)

Regular

We have a permanent site at Little Lusk, and we love it.  The campground is wonderful, plenty of room.  You won't have any trouble setting any trailer up.  Easy to get in and out of with trailer.  All of the riding in the Shawnee is great.  Riding out of Little Lusk, is nice but takes a little longer to get to rock formations so if possible it's better to ride with someone who knows the area.  Just ask Lonnie & Peggy the owners and they know someone if he's there that loves to show people around, he does not charge anything, just enjoys people and showing the area off. 
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-21 10:31 PM (#37654 - in reply to #37460)

Elite Veteran

Thanks to everyone who has replied with suggestions so far. Still looking at other areas to ride to from Trail Rider Magazine. We hiked a little around Garden of the Gods last year since it was too hard to pack up camp and take the horses. I was wondering how far the trails were from Little Lusk lodge. We have QHs, so the ride would be slow going. I thought the scenary was beautiful and would like to ride there. Are there any horse camps close to Garden of the Gods?

Edited by ponytammy 2006-02-21 10:36 PM
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-02-22 1:35 PM (#37684 - in reply to #37460)

Veteran

We stayed at Lusk last year too. Peggy and Lonnie are about the nicest people you'll find! Their place is clean, and very nice.
As for Garden of the Gods, we drove up there and saw it that way. We were told that it was a VERY (8hours one way) long ride from Lusk and you couldn't get all the way up to the scenic area. I have heard that High Knob has great riding too, but most of the camp sites are in the sun. Were trying Bear Branch this year just so we can see different trails.
Lusk also has a nice pond to fish and a separate pond to swim in (CLEAN!).
The only bad thing I could say about lusk is that it took a little while to get into some nice hills and pretty scenery.
Enjoy Shawnee!
We are going June 10-18 at Bear Branch.
Think Spring! I'm ready to ride!!!
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-22 3:44 PM (#37693 - in reply to #37460)

Veteran

Tammy, we stayed at High Knob and rode to garden of the gods. riding there and walking thru it and riding back you can easily do in a day. the camp does not have much shade, but that is not a problem this time of year. would be in the summer when it is hot. we just had someone mark the way on the map & we made it fine.  Debbie
J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-26 8:21 AM (#37846 - in reply to #37460)

The round trip from high knob to garden of the gods can be done an easy six hours the river to river trail goes thru high knob and garden of the gods, you can go one way and come back another also so you don't have to ride the same trail.
You can get a map from Fay the owner of high knob or if she isn't busy talk her into going, high knob is the best thru the week for finding a place to park which I don't think there is a level place in the campground but on holiday weekends it is impossible to get a spot.
High knob isn't a very good camp as far as level sights, the shower house isn't much and no resturant, but there is lot's of rocky riding.
You can ride there from 34 ranch but some one has to have a key to open gates it is a big pain to ride there from 34 but to me 34 is a big pain.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 9:01 PM (#37938 - in reply to #37460)

Elite Veteran

Well we decided to stay at High Knob campground since this was near the area that we want to explore. We are going in early April, so the sun shouldn't be a problem. Really looking forward to seeing some pretty rock formations. Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions. Looks like we will be making several more trips to the Shawnee to see more of it. Too bad it is a 12 hour drive for us, but we think it is well worth the trip.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-28 8:39 AM (#37964 - in reply to #37460)

Veteran

You are going to LOVE it.. I'm to the point the campground doesn't really matter that much as long as the riding is good. And you will have good riding from High Knob. A beautiful ride along the bluffs, we ride it everytime we go down there. We ride over from Double M. If you want to go out to eat you can ride over to Double M for lunch. I think we're going down April 13 or 14th.
Happy Safe Trails
Shari
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-02-28 8:52 PM (#38005 - in reply to #37460)

Regular

You will love it there, and staying at a different campground each time you go is the way to go.  Cause each campground has something different to see.  I do agree High Knob is really great riding.  Since we have the permanent campsite, we can trailer out to other areas, and it has been great for us.  Lots of pretty rock formations over by Bay Creek too.  They do alot of rock climbing over there, really interesting. But your gonna love High Knob area.

Happy Trails. 

J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-08 10:53 PM (#38502 - in reply to #37460)

I have just been reading the new trail closings in Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois, I will be talking with David and Faye Flanders the owners of high knob to understand more of what trails that have been lost. David is working on new maps to show the closed trails.
From what I have read and was told from a land owner near high knob is that we have lost rice hollow, upper hurrican ridge, from the cool aid stand or coke stand trail, and some trails near no no rock. There is new closings around garden of the gods also. These trails around high knob will not be closed for I was told 45 days. I don't know what trails around double M has been closed.
I have not heard of what closing out of any other camps are.
Good luck on your rides it looks like the tree huggers have won this fight, ya know the tree huggers can kiss my ASH.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-09 6:29 PM (#38551 - in reply to #37460)

Veteran

JD, my sentiments exactly. Debbie
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-03-10 7:51 AM (#38575 - in reply to #37460)

Veteran

JD

I was told last year that the biggest problem tree huggers are actually 2 brothers that have nothing but time and money!  I thought that the trail riders won a big decision in court last year? The problem is that the private land owners are no longer letting trail riders use their land to go on trails.  We encountered areas that were fenced off and we had to re-route.   I heard that the judge actually went out into the woods and checked things out for himself.  Seeing that the ridicilous claims from those guys are nuts, he ruled the other way.  If anyone goes down to Shawnee this year, ask some locals about it, I found it interesting to hear from them.  Sad that only a couple wing nuts can ruin it for all. 

Happy Trails!

Diane

J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-11 5:47 PM (#38669 - in reply to #37460)

I have been hauling over to Brown county the last few years and while talking and riding with some of the locals as we ride they show me trails that have been closed over the years and now mostly bridle paths left to ride, we have been hauling out to Jamestown Tn and the Smokies and hear the same thing about closing of trails I haven't thought about those area's until they hit in my back yard. They have been picking on Lusk Creek area for several years now and have left high knob mostly alone until now, I would about as soon quit than to have to ride wide bridle trails I love the narrow rocky a lot better.
A few years ago I put an ad in the Mules and more magazine about the trails closing and learned that it just isn't here it is all over the United States. Back then I was told that the Government owed the United Nations so much money that they signed all of the National Forest over to them. So many stories some day it will come out what plan they have. I thought we the people owned the land and the Government. So with our tax money they are shutting us out of our own land with our own money.
truckin_cowboy_63
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-12 9:23 AM (#38699 - in reply to #37460)

jd i agree with you 100% we pay federal taxes & more importantly we pay illinois taxes so with this being a national forest it really belongs to the people that pays taxes. i dont guess i  understand how property can be takin away from us. this land belongs to the people

Edited by truckin_cowboy_63 2006-03-14 1:19 PM
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-21 7:33 AM (#42040 - in reply to #37460)

Extreme Veteran

Guys - If you're concerned about trails closing write you senators to support the Right to Ride legislation. There is a separate thread about it on the forum. I understand that it has passed the house again. So, it is in the senate. We need them to hear our voices since there are other groups actively against this legislation.
Suz
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-30 10:53 AM (#80681 - in reply to #37460)

New User

My husband and I have stayed at both Hayes and Little Lusk. We stay at Little Lusk all the time now. We are going next week when they open. The owners Peggy and Lonnie are the nicest people. There are many different trails leading out of this camp. We love it!

suz

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-03-30 10:27 PM (#80752 - in reply to #37460)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, there have been some trail closing, but there are also some new ones the Forest Service are building. Not just a few but a lot of new ones. There are still more trails, close to any of the camp grounds, than any one can ride in weeks and weeks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)