'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hard Labor Horse Camp in Georgia..who's been?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-10 4:18 PM
20 replies, 7089 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-13 6:54 PM (#89670)
Subject: Hard Labor Horse Camp in Georgia..who's been?

Veteran

Who has been to this one? Give me the scoop, please as I am looking for a good place in that area. Got to be LQ friendly!

Edited by galsgottaride 2008-08-13 6:57 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-13 8:07 PM (#89673 - in reply to #89670)
Subject: RE: Hard Labor Horse Camp in Georgia..who's been?

Extreme Veteran

I have never camped there but have ridden there often.  I have an annual riding pass.  The stables looked to be in good shape from what I have seen in my day rides.  The trails are good and very scenic.  I do know that you cannot take your horse into the campsites.  You must take your gear to the stables to saddle.  I believe I posted on an earlier of your threads with directions to get around the "hump" right in Rutledge that can be a problem for larger rigs. (Railroad crossing.)  Let me know if you need those directions again.  Have fun!
Lankyman
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-08-14 9:10 AM (#89692 - in reply to #89670)

Regular

I have not personally been there yet.  It is on the list of places to go, though.  This time of year would be nice to get up there & away from some of the heat & bugs.  From what I have heard, the camping is better on the Georgia side of the Chattooga River, but some of the trails on the SC side are very nice & have some great views.

Here are few links that I have found on the area up there:

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/rogs/horse/rocky_gap_willis_knob.htm

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/rogs/horse/20040305-horse-guide.pdf#xml=http://www.fs.fed.us/cgi-bin/texis/searchallsites/search.allsites/xml.txt?query=Chattooga%2BTrail&db=allsites&id=407b04220

http://www.chattooga-river.net/activities.html

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-parks-569386-whetstone_horse_camp_sumter_national_forest_camping-i

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/fow/index.htm

perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-08-14 10:27 AM (#89696 - in reply to #89670)

Veteran

I've been several times.  Very well maintained.  I've seen anything from 6 horse rigs with living quarters down to 2 horse bumper pulls.  Several of the campsites will accomadate the big rigs with pull throughs. Highly recommend it.  Stalls are farily decent.  You must bring your own bedding for the stalls.  Trails are very well marked and maps are fairly accurate.  As far as I know there are no horse supply stores convienent so make sure you bring all of your feed, hay, tack, etc... Hope this helps!

Ride on!

perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-08-14 10:29 AM (#89697 - in reply to #89670)

Veteran

Just to dovetail on what someone mentioned earlier. Be careful if you have a large rig going over the RR tracks in Rutledge as you WILL bottom out.  There is another way in a bit further down the road which has easy access. 
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-08-14 11:33 AM (#89701 - in reply to #89670)

Elite Veteran

It's located in a really cute town called Rutledge.  Their downtown is about 5 stores - there is a nice cafe and an ice cream parlor... 

nice riding and facilities, trail maps fairly accurate as well

there have been several threads on it - so please do a search and you will find lots of good info

perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-08-14 12:00 PM (#89702 - in reply to #89670)

Veteran

It just dawned on me, we are talking about Hard Labor Creek State Park and the horse camp inside the park, correct?  That is what all of my references have been for. 
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-14 4:00 PM (#89726 - in reply to #89670)

Extreme Veteran

Trails are great.  Kind of a mountain feel wihout riding on solid rock.  Lots of inclines and creeks.  Some creeks even have smooth concrete to make it easier to cross.  They have a realy nice arena to warm up in next to the barn.  The trails can become a little mucky with rain and being that this is such a popular riding spot you will have some good GA mud if it has rained.  The park does a good job of maintaining the trails.  The camping area seems nice, but you are not allowed to take your horses anywhere inside of the camping area.  They have to say in the barn.  You must either haul your tack up to the barn or as some do rent a stall to store it in.  I have never camped there since I only live an 1 1/2 hours away. 

Due to the rocks I would recommend shoes or trail boots.

Edited by tom-tom 2008-08-14 4:04 PM
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-16 4:28 PM (#89829 - in reply to #89673)

Veteran

Leslimal, Please send me the directions so I can KEEP my plumbing!! I will be coming from S.C, picking up I-20 at Columbia. Looks like a pretty straight shot... When I was checking in the spring on camps in that area, I ended up going to East Fork , Tenn., Do they take reservatons? Thanks all for your info.......I'll check some of the previous threads.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-16 4:51 PM (#89831 - in reply to #89670)

Extreme Veteran

galsgottoride...sent you a PM. 
perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-08-18 5:50 AM (#89883 - in reply to #89670)

Veteran

galsgottaride, check out the Georgia State Parks website (Google Georgia State Parks and it will give you the link).  They do take reservations and even have an online reservation system.  The online system does not work real well for the horse facilities and you are probably better off calling the 800#.  The website will also give you a contact number for the park itself and I am pretty sure they can give you directions so you can keep your plumbing intact on your LQ.  Do not take the first right as you come into Rutledge (there will be a warning sign showing a semi bottoming out across the RR tracks). 

Have a safe trip!

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-21 8:25 PM (#90145 - in reply to #89831)

Veteran

thanks Leslimal & Perk........you info is most helpful!! You know we always kinda like to know what we may be in for from those who have been there and done that! Sounds like a good place to go......looking at maybe early fall .Thanks again!
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-21 9:03 PM (#90148 - in reply to #89670)

Extreme Veteran

Might want to make reservations early.  They fill up fast since this is  a popular spot to visit.  I heard someone say today that they couldn't get a reservation in October because they were already booked.  She was wanting to go the first or second weekend.  I haven't checked myself, but you may want to go ahead and look into it if you are planning to go.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-21 9:18 PM (#90150 - in reply to #89670)

Extreme Veteran

Did you get your PM galsgottoride?  It is still in my outbox so I was just checking.

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-22 7:02 PM (#90215 - in reply to #90148)

Veteran

Tom-tom.....I figured October would be hoppin', like just about everywhere! I'm already going to Broxton Bridge Plantation (S.C.)first week, but will check their availability and it may be Spring. How is the weather there in November?
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-22 7:05 PM (#90216 - in reply to #90150)

Veteran

Got it, Lesliemal!! Great directions...sure appreciate it. I tried to PM you back, but I couldn't get through. I have an I-Mac (there's my trouble!) and it just won't connect. Are there some steps I need to know to PM folks that might help?
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-22 8:42 PM (#90220 - in reply to #89670)

Extreme Veteran

I actually think November is better than October.  October in GA can still be pretty warm so November should be coole.  The leaves usually prime mid to late October, but still good color into eary November.  Good Luck on your trip.  They have great trails.
smhaughton
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-05 12:10 PM (#91033 - in reply to #89673)

New User

Lesliemal:

Have seen in this thread that you know directions to avoid the "hump" on RR tracks going to Hard Labor. Would you mind sending those directions to me? We are going there for the first time in October as a stop over on our way north. Thanks.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-09-05 1:01 PM (#91035 - in reply to #89670)

Extreme Veteran

Traveling east on I-20 toward Augusta, take exit 101 (Hwy 278/Covington), take a left. (If traveling west, take exit 101 and turn right)  Go to E Hightower Trl (not sure about exact mileage) you will turn left...it is a hard angled back left but the road is extra wide (about 3 lanes).  When you are approaching the turn, you will see what appears to be some sort of junk shop on the left.  Go to Knox Chapel Rd. and turn right.  Go until you pass the golf pro shop (this will be on your right) start looking for the HLC office sign..you will turn left into the office drive...go about 1/2 mile and the actual office will be on the right. Once at the office, they can give you directions to the stables/trail head parking. The area around the office is small and if you have an extremely large rig, you may have to do some tricky moves to get turned around.  The last time I went to the office, I went to the bottom of the parking lot and made the u-turn around the lot but my rig was only 19ft long. 

PS:  You can drill down to see these roads on the mapquest site.  It does seem like a round about way to get there, but it completely avoids the dreaded RR crossing. 

smhaughton
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-05 2:39 PM (#91037 - in reply to #91035)

New User

Thanks so much for the info.

Our trailer is 33 ft long. It sounds like we'll have to maneuver a bit.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-09-10 4:18 PM (#91263 - in reply to #89670)

Extreme Veteran

the  horse camp sites are very nice and I'm pretty sure  all of them are pull thru.  they have nice level pads to park on w/ lantern hook/picnic tables/elec. and water hook ups.   watch for fire ants.  if you leave food or anything out they'll get all over it.

unfortunately you can't take horses into the horse trailer camp sites but the horse barn is very close.  stalls are kinda small but safe enough and you have to bring your own buckets/bedding.   last time we went we just kept the saddle racks in front of the stalls, used those 4 prong tack hooks for extra stuff and had hay and grain in front of the stalls too.  3 of my friends split a stall for their tack/hay,etc but I was too cheap so just piled everything in front and it worked out fine. 

the trails are pretty nice- some hills and rocks but not very hard. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)