'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brenderup Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-04 4:12 PM
19 replies, 6064 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Falynn
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 3:00 PM (#58112)
Subject: Brenderup Trailers

New User

What do you think of these trailers?  Has anyone ever used these?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-30 3:53 PM (#58115 - in reply to #58112)
Subject: RE: Brenderup Trailers

Expert

Welcome to the forum...

I think they're expensive for my use.  This topic has been amply discussed before. Mr. Truck has an evaluation somewhere on this site.   Please use the search function with Brenderup to see more discussion.

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 6:46 PM (#58123 - in reply to #58112)

Veteran

99.9 percent of people who have used one, love it.  I did a lot of research on this forum and other sites and am going to be purchasing one in a few months (a friend is selling her old one and buying a new one).  I have a large draft cross and traditional trailers do not fit him well at all, but he rides beautifully in a Brenderup.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 7:38 PM (#58127 - in reply to #58112)

Expert

And you should be able to tow that draft with a Volvo.
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 7:47 PM (#58129 - in reply to #58112)

Veteran

They are a decent trailer that seem to be priced way too high for a lot of folks.  For us it isn't a matter of "can't afford it" - it's just a matter of practicality.  A new one in the size we want is 15k to 16k - if you look at other 2H models in that range you see incredibly well built deluxe trailers with real dressing rooms and very high level of trim and finish. 

As you'll see if you search this site you'll find polarized opinions about them.  We looked at them with every confidence that they were the trailer we wanted, but when we finally saw them in person the price of admission seemed absurdly high.  If you can get a good price on a used one then you'll probably get a much better value.  Personally, if they were priced closer to 10k new I think more folks would consider them to be an alternative worth considering... I know I would anyway. For me, there is nothing about them that justifies a price over 10k, yet they seem to sell pretty well.  I also have seen on their website that they are building a larger facility so they can increase production.  Perhaps when the supply goes up the price can drop.

Good Luck with it if you get it - I'm sure they are well made and seem to last well.

chawley
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-04-02 11:59 AM (#58294 - in reply to #58112)

I have one and it's the best trailer I've ever owned. It's solid and easy to use. My horse is very relaxed in the trailer and it tows equally nice with our large SUV or F350 diesel truck.

People that have never owned one think they're death traps. I've owned everything from a large six horse steel trailers to the traditional steel/alum. B.P. two horse. This trailer is as tough as any trailer I've had and it's very spacious and bright for the horses. The only downsize is that they are pricey.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-04-02 8:31 PM (#58339 - in reply to #58112)

Elite Veteran

Hi...where in Canada are you located? My friend Cathy in MN just became a BU dealer. She will have the trailers at the MN Horse Expo at the end of April.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-03 9:12 AM (#58381 - in reply to #58112)

Expert

Originally written by Falynn on 2007-03-30 3:00 PM

What do you think of these trailers? Has anyone ever used these?

Since you live in Canada I'd guess that you can buy a Jamco for a lot less than a B-Up and for less than folk in the US can.
As I have said in several other posts, my Jamco weighs barely a pony's weight more than a B-Up and it is full sized.
If your tow vehicle is so close to it's tow capacity limit that you need to shave that last 500 lbs or so, you might want to reconsider your truck/SUV choice. I tow with a Durango, even with 1 heavy horse on one side and nothing on the right side it tows well.

I'm not ANTI B-Up, I just think that there are better choices for the money and the weight savings are (largely) bogus. Even the argument that you can get by with a smaller vehicle for day to day use is suspect. Sure, you can "get by".

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-03 10:32 AM (#58392 - in reply to #58381)

Veteran

REG - Do you have a dressing room on the Jamco?  One thing I find that generally gets overlooked in these discussions is that there really isn't a dressing room on the Brenderup - there are a couple clever uses of cabinetry that give you some functionality of a dressing area - but it's not a real dressing room trailer.  And unless you have real short horses, the sliding wall unit requires the horses to be outside the trailer in order to use it. 

There were several "issues" my wife and I had with the B-Up when we finally got to see them - the dressing room thing was one of them...

• Tow vehicle rating isn't any lighter for these trailers than any other (very clear once you do the math)
    • 2200 lb trailer plus 2 800lb or heavier horses equals a load that I am hesitant to pull with my Toyota 4Runner - so where is the advantage here?
  • Very Very Very Pricey for a basic trailer with no frills, extras or dressing room (yes, I needed 3 Verys in there).
    • The dealer wouldn't even throw in the alloy wheels at 15k - Ugh...
  • Laminated Floor - vs. other types we use more commonly.  I don't know about others, but it reminded me of Ikea furniture.  I was told that the give in this floor (and it's in the video too) is part of the design to make the ride more comfy for the horse... Hmmm just wondering how much "give" my pretty large Standardbred would invoke in this flooring...
  • The escape doors are so small I had trouble bending and flexing to get out of the horse area - this is something anyone with a tight lower back ought to try out first before you buy one.
  • Call me a traditionalist - but the whole trailer flexed so much I just couldn't get my heart around it's construction type.  Not for 15k anyway, oh yeah, throw in more if you want the fancy wheels...

I like the advanced aerodynamics but that doesn't add to the cost - I also like the wheels having some camber.  I'm not an engineer, but it sounds like a good idea to help the trailer track straight.  Overall they are a decent simple little trailer.  They don't offer much if any weight advantage over other simple 2 horse trailers of lighter design - you certainly won't tow one with a 120hp vehicle - at least not legally or safely.  My vehicle has about 235HP and it was approaching my rated tow limits.  When I spoke to the fellow who owns the plant (Simon Barr??), even he said the 1st consideration is a vehicle's tow rating - you simply can't exceed it - not with any type of trailer.

So with all that - some folks can still justify the cost of these - more power to em, and God Bless America that we have all these choices, but it's sure not for us. 

Edited by SHMANN 2007-04-03 11:38 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-03 4:07 PM (#58406 - in reply to #58112)

Expert

SHMANN,
Yes, there is a dr/tack room in the Jamco, with it's own 4 hinge door - each with it's own grease fitting {Jamco quality details (-:}
It is small, but stand-up usable for changing and big enough for clothes and tack for two horses at 1 day events.

Last week I had the "pleasure" of loading and carrying a 1400+ lb very lively warm blood in it. Horses that size can destroy a flimsy trailer if they get ansie, suffice to say that I still have a ramp after his DANCE on (and several times across) it (-:
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-04-03 5:23 PM (#58407 - in reply to #58392)

Regular

You are correct, the tack area is smaller compared to some other trailers. People that purchase Brenderups are not buying them for the large tack room.  I find it interesting that only folks that don't own Brenderups have a negative opinion.  If they were not good trailers the resale would not be as good as it is.  Brenderups haul great and maintain their value due to very low maintenance. 

It works for me.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-03 7:37 PM (#58411 - in reply to #58406)

Veteran

Thanks REG - I figured it would.  One of the points I was trying to make (with too many words) is that any weight advantage with the B-Ups is gone if you had to add a real dressing room to them.  If you take the supposed weight advantage out of the equation - what are people buying??? Jamco's, at least with the reading I've done, aren't sold because they're light, they're sold because they are very well built, built like a tank, and are finshed out very nice.  Now that's a trailer I'd be glad to spend big dollars on - and I've also seen that they hold there value very well.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-03 7:50 PM (#58413 - in reply to #58407)

Veteran

Hi Leslie - You're probably right about that - but I've honestly looked hard at the Brenderup - called dealers, got the video, and we seriously went to the Equine Affair with the greatest anticipation of finally seeing one.  What we found when we did finally see it was not only disappointing, but seriously over priced. 

The Brenderups were located next to the Hawk display, and it was interesting to hear others comparing the trailers, especially when price was factored in.  If you looked at a 2H Hawk without a dressing area, but with an area in the nose for storage, you were looking at over $6000 difference - and the Hawk really looked to be better made. 

So perhaps some of the people didn't buy them, and don't own them because they simply didn't measure up... I've also thought that if the "construction model" was that good, and that in demand, that other European brands would be sold here to compete with the Brenderup.  If that happened that would hopefully drive the price down - because not matter what ever other aspect of the trailer we discuss, I can't get past the price that these units are listed for.  Heck, if all I wanted was a well built 2H Bumper pull without a dressing room I can get one for many many thousands less. 

I'm sincerely glad you like the trailer - everyone should like what they buy. 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-03 8:07 PM (#58414 - in reply to #58407)

Expert

Originally written by verushka on 2007-04-03 5:23 PM

You are correct, the tack area is smaller compared to some other trailers. People that purchase Brenderups are not buying them for the large tack room. I find it interesting that only folks that don't own Brenderups have a negative opinion. If they were not good trailers the resale would not be as good as it is. Brenderups haul great and maintain their value due to very low maintenance.

It works for me.

My opinion of B-Ups isn't Negative, my opinion of EBY, 4-Star and Jamco is more POSITIVE.
I like several of the novel and different features of the B-Ups, but not enough for me to buy one at that price level.
To ME face space for the horses is important, so is a functional dr/tack room - to the extent that it can hold enough tack for 2 horses at a 1 day event and not have to turn everything out when one small/medium sized person wants to get in there to change clothes.
Re-sale value is some function of acceptance and (like it or not) unusual trailers such as B-Ups are not well accepted by the majority of trailer buyers in the US.
I think 4-Star, EBY and Jamco hold their price as well as any and better than most.
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-04-04 10:46 AM (#58459 - in reply to #58112)

Regular

Reg,

I looked at the Jamco at the Sacramento Horse Expo before I purchased my Brenderup.  I agree with you, I think the Jamco was the nicest trailer at the show, however, my F150 wouldn't tow it and I was in no position to purchase another truck.  As far as straight loads, there aren't many options out there and I'm a fan of the straight load, unlike most people these days.  If I had the truck to haul it I would have purchased a Jamco but since I didn't, I bought the Brenderup and am completely satisfied.  I've made two trips to Colorado from California in this trailer in heavy wind  and rain storm with no problems  Isn't it great that we have options.

With regard to the pricing  on the Brenderup and the competition of other European trailers. I've talked to others on a world wide forum because I was curious other European trailers were out there.  There are quite a few and the price for them is expensive as well.  Most are made of fiberglass throughout the exterior, not phenolic resin like the Brenderup. 

There are also other factors that should be considered when comparing the price.  You don't need to install a brake system in your truck, the wheel bearings are sealed so no annual maintenance and once again the resale value, plus the customer service is outstanding! 

Edited by verushka 2007-04-04 10:48 AM
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-04 11:14 AM (#58463 - in reply to #58459)

Veteran

Originally written by verushka on 2007-04-04 10:46 AM

There are also other factors that should be considered when comparing the price.  You don't need to install a brake system in your truck, the wheel bearings are sealed so no annual maintenance and once again the resale value, plus the customer service is outstanding! 

That's good to know, since believe it or not, after all I wrote above, I'd still take a good deal on used one if it came my way.  Basically I'd just need to loosen up my lower back for the little doors, and I'd be good to go.

As a side note - I'm surprised your F150 wouldn't haul a Jamco... What is it's tow rating?  My problem with my truck is that I can pull just about any 2H BP empty, and possibly with one horse as well.  But when I add the 2nd 1000lbs in there I start to get too close to my 5000lb tow limit... at least too close for my comfort.

verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-04-04 11:35 AM (#58467 - in reply to #58112)

Regular

Shmann,

When I bought my first Brenderup I had a 1997 F150.  I'm not sure what the tow rating was.  My newer 2004 F150 probably would haul it but at the time when my husband and I talked with the Jamco folks they didn't recommend I haul the Jamco with the 1997.  Now that I have my Brenderup and have used it for years I have no need to purchase a Jamco.  I'm used to the escape doors and have completely reorganized the tack room so it is more user friendly.

I've been helping my friend search for a used trailer and the two horse straight load Jamco is no where to be found in Northern California and she is unable to travel out of state.  Not sure why but the dealer that was selling Jamcos in Northern California is no longer selling them.  I'm going to check them out again at the Horse Expo it they are there this year.

Oh, and on the Brenderup doors, I've asked it they could be made larger, like on the tack room and was told that is the standard size they use for all their trailers and since they are made in a factory it couldn't be changed. 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-04 2:00 PM (#58482 - in reply to #58467)

Expert

I picked the Jamco a) Because I have one and like it a LOT b) because the O/P in THIS thread is in Canada and I was guessing that it is even more price competitive up there.

re low maintenance; Sealed bearings are sealed for life, for their service life. I don't know how that translates to failure mode or failure rate.
One thing I do know is that my brake drums come off every year ANYWAY, so the elimination of a few grease gun squirts wouldn't be a big labor or materials savings to me.
The brake controller is in the truck for the goosie anyway, OK so I had to buy one for the Dango {~$100, trivial in the scheme of things}

On F150s - do I need to say it again ? (-:
If the Jammie was too heavy the B-Up was marginal.

On aerodynamics; Goosenecks WIN hands down.
The flat back of a trailer is what causes drag.
I'm not sure that the undercut ramp of the B-Up is a feature in this regard, does it add down force ?
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-04-04 2:26 PM (#58483 - in reply to #58112)

Regular

Reg,

Ford F150 just happens to be what I own and I feel I'm lucky to have it.  Some people have a larger budget than I do and I have a larger budget than maybe some other people do.  I'm happy you like your gooseneck Jamco and it would be nice if you would be happy that I like my F150 and Brenderup.  Comparing a gooseneck Jamco to a bumperpull Benderup is like comparing salt and sugar.  Does not make sense to me.

And incase you missed it, I do think the Jamco is a very nice trailer.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-04 4:12 PM (#58487 - in reply to #58483)

Expert

I don't know how you confused my comment about the aerodynamics of gooseneck trailers with my comments about Jamco BUMPER PULL trailers.

Let me try it again;
As a GENRE gooseneck trailers follow their tow vehicles a lot closer than do bumper-pull trailers. As a combination vehicle the gooseneck trailer&truck offers less air resistance than the two "separate" vehicles that a truck and bumper-pull trailer do.
My other sweeping generality was about the flat backs of most horse trailers that drag a partial vacuum along - and my doubt that the 'tucked under' ramp of the B-Up helps with that. I also speculated that there might be some down force due to that, which might help stability... iffy/maybe.

Sure, I'm happy that you are happy.
Lets all be happy ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World