'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shower

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-01 6:51 PM
19 replies, 4672 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-24 7:22 AM (#43538)
Subject: Shower

Veteran

I need ideas. I'm going to a weekend show next week. Show grounds does not have shower facilities. I usually get hookups and stay in my trailer, but I don't have a toliet/shower. I really don't want the expense of getting a hotel room. Closest is 7 miles away. So far I've got: Sponge bathing with Shower to Shower body wipes (if they still make them). Putting a small baby pool in the back of the trailer, filling it with water in the morning. Temperature should be okay for bathing by the end of the day. Dumping it out and repeat for Sunday. Only problem is space to carry it (I guess I could put it on my bed) and dumping it. I haul with shavings, and I think it would be a mess trying to dump dirty bath water out.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-06-24 9:24 AM (#43542 - in reply to #43538)
Subject: RE: Shower

Extreme Veteran

Do you carry a muck bucket?  Use can use that too (wash it out of course - LOL!)

Walmart and Target carry the Coleman camp shower bags.
Fill them with water and set it in the sun all day.
It has a shower head and hose built in.  I hang mine from the roof vent handle and take a warm shower.  Works great!
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=827A706T&categoryid=28150

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-24 9:50 AM (#43543 - in reply to #43538)

Extreme Veteran

Just be carefu with a camp shower in this weather.  I would not leave it out all day.  The water will be HOT.  I learned from that mistake one year during a summer ride.  It will work well for you.  Just make sure you cover up your windows in the back of the trailer if you use it there. 
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-25 8:14 AM (#43574 - in reply to #43538)

Veteran

I do have a toy tub that my son no longer uses that I got at Dollar General. It looks like a muck bucket, but not as durable. I guess I could use that rather than getting a small baby pool. I wouldn't be able to sit down in it, but it would be easier to empty.

I'll check into the coleman showers, too. I could hang it outside for several hours then bring it in and hang it from the roof vent for use. That sounds like it would be better for washing hair. What do you do to keep your shavings dry? Or as dry as possible?
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-25 8:25 AM (#43576 - in reply to #43538)

Extreme Veteran

Use a scoop or a push broom to move your shavings up to the front of the trailer then put your shower/bath in the second stall. Instead of the hard kiddie pool, what about an inflatable? It would be easier to transport. Sounds like the coleman shower is your best bet though. I remember reading on one of these forums about shower options. They had some pretty good ideas. You might try doing a forum search and looking that up.         Stay clean!

RIDE ON!

S Farmer
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-25 1:39 PM (#43589 - in reply to #43538)

I think your best bet would be one of the coleman showers, if you look at Lowes or Menards they have a tray that you can get that your washing machine sets in in case that it leaks this tray has sides on it and a drain hole its made of light weight plastic and looks like the base of a shower in your house. I think that this would work great for you to stand in and the water would drain out the back of your trailer
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-26 7:01 AM (#43617 - in reply to #43538)

Elite Veteran

I bought a battery operated shower from Wal-Mart (Target also has them).  There are a couple kinds.  The one I have uses 4D batteries, has a shower head that you hang in the trailer, a tube that runs down from it into a clear container.  You heat some water on the stove and add it other water and it works quite well.  I only paid $8 on sale, though I think they are normally $15 - $20.  For $100 there is one that you step on a pedal to operate the water flow.

I hang a shower curtain in my trailer and just let the water run out as I don't use shavings. 

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-06-26 1:02 PM (#43647 - in reply to #43538)

Extreme Veteran

I have a coleman Hot Water on Demand.  It's a rechargeable pump unit with a propane bottle connected that will heat water pumped from a hose or an attachable 5 gallon container.  The water temp is adjustable and you can get a shower head connector for it as well.  I love this thing!  There is also one called Zodi that does the same thing.  There have been several other threads detailing these units.
TLR
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-06-26 8:09 PM (#43670 - in reply to #43538)

Regular

Kesta, We made many trips to the Big Horns without a shower before we got our LQ Trailer.We just pushed our shavings foward, put down a shower platform, and used a 3 gallon pump-up weed sprayer with warm water to take a shower .Several things that might help, keep your trailer high in the front and remove the wand from the handle and screw the nozzle directly to the handle.The rest of it you should be able to figure out. If you have any questions , don't be afraid to ask .

Edited by TLR 2006-06-26 8:32 PM
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-26 8:53 PM (#43677 - in reply to #43538)

Extreme Veteran

Hey TLR...That's pretty clever! I never would have thought of that.

RIDE ON!

clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-27 10:57 AM (#43704 - in reply to #43538)

Regular

Kelsa, I have the Zodi shower and love it. I too wasn't sure about using the back of the trailer. I found a "pop up" shower tent at G.I. Joes (a sporting good store in Medford Oregon). It is called an Outback porta privy you can order them from evergreen http://www.evergreen-outdoors.net/outback/porta_privy.htmYou can set a porta potty in there too. It fold flat and takes up very little space! Enjoy Colleen
dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-27 11:53 AM (#43705 - in reply to #43538)

Regular

What we have done is to use the solar shower bags to warm the water, and then we pour the hot water into a clean pail.  That way, we can add some cold water if it's too hot.  We found a battery operated shower where you put one end into the bucket, step on a switch, and then the water is pumped through the shower head.  It has worked well for us, as the solar shower bags are quite heavy when full of water, and difficult to lift up to hang.
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-29 6:39 AM (#43774 - in reply to #43538)

Veteran

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm leaning toward the Coleman/Zodi route, because the water is heated. My trailer is set up for direct hookup to a water line, but I only have cold water -- no water heater. The only way I could heat water would be in the micro and that would take forever as it is dorm room size.

My other option is to see if I could mooch a real shower off of a friend that is planning on getting a motel room!!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-06-29 9:51 AM (#43779 - in reply to #43538)

Expert

Kesta, thats the best idea I've heard yet. Knock on their door with a cold brew in hand, in and out in about 5 minutes!
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-29 4:28 PM (#43808 - in reply to #43538)

Veteran

Roughing it toilet and shower. A friend uses a white 5 gal bucket for a toilet. She puts a plastic kitchen trash bag in it with shavings. Does her business, pours a little disenfectant (Crenlin or Lysol), shakes it up and good to go. She always has a spare bag made up in her trailer for emergencies.  This worked good for her on a 3 day weekend (multiple bags).  You can get seats to fit the buckets. 

For the shower I have a solar bag from Walmart ($8.00), a Coleman battery camping shower from Kmart ($19.99) a shower curtain on a rope, a white 5 gal bucket and a tarp. I heat the water in the bag in the bed of the truck (will get hot), pour it in the bucket, add cold water to comfortable temp.  I use a tarp big enough to hang over the back edge of the trailer and hang up to make a side. You will stand on the tarp and it will keep the splash down and water will run out the back on the ground. The shower curtain may not be necessary. I store everything in the bucket. Make sure your trailer is higher in the front so the water will run. In the colder weather I heat my water with a propane cook stove and large coffee pot. 

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-30 4:22 PM (#43842 - in reply to #43617)

Veteran

How does one go about hanging the shower curtain? I don't want to make holes in the roof (Fiberglass) to put hooks up. Thanks.
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-30 6:05 PM (#43845 - in reply to #43538)

Veteran

I have an adjustable shower rod that opens to 7'.  I put it across the trailer in the back. I store it along the bed in the GN. If you have a slant you can tie from the last stall (horse tie ring) and run the rope over the hinge of the back door.  When you close the door it will hold the rope.  If you have a steel trailer you can get 2 strong magnets with loops and tie the rope to these across the trailer.  The magnets work good for curtains on steel stock trailers too. 

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-30 11:47 PM (#43850 - in reply to #43538)

Veteran

It's confirmed! My friend that is getting the hotel room said I can come and shower there. So that takes care of my shower quandry for the show on the 8th & 9th. Guess I better get some Boulevard Pale Ale as a thank you gift. Now, I have another show at the same facility on the 15th & 16th. Hmmm, guess I better start checking to see whose going to that one . . . Thanks for all the input. You all have had some great (and unique) ideas that I will use in the future.
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-01 3:43 PM (#43872 - in reply to #43845)

Veteran

Thanks so much for the info. My trailer, 2H slant Hawk, is a steel frame with aluminum skin. It has windows along the sides as well as in back. The cowboy shower is in the first stall nearest the front of the gooseneck. Roof is fiberglass.

I'll have to see if the magnets work, if not I'll check out where I can string a cord. Too hot right now to go out to the trailer, 100 degrees!!

This forum is absolutely the greatest. I've learned so much. Can anyone tell me how to enlarge the font? I'm about crosseyed from reading these itty-bitty letters.

Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-01 6:51 PM (#43876 - in reply to #43538)

Veteran

hold down control(ctrl)button and turn your wheel on your mouse it will change the size
Shari
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)