'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Lights not working on Silver Star...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-29 6:02 PM
19 replies, 5305 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 8:47 AM (#42238)
Subject: Lights not working on Silver Star...

I just bought a "new to me" 2003 Silver Star SilverLite 3 horse GN with dressing room.  All the running lights, brakes, etc work & everything that works off of the generator works.  However, there is a light inside the dressing room, over the back door, inside the horse area & inside the tack area which have toggle switches.  The lady said they run off the truck plug.  But none of them work.  Any ideas what to check?

Also, I bought a 50 gallon 1/2 moon water tank that fits nicely behind the saddle rack, but there is nothing to strap it down to.  How can I secure it?

Thanks,

Brenda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
LFEquines
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-25 9:20 AM (#42240 - in reply to #42238)
Subject: RE: Lights not working on Silver Star...

Sorry, I'm not helping but I have the same trailer (only 4 horse) and do not have the toggle switches you describe. Is this a handmade switch? If so, you're probably going to need a good electrician. Hopefully you have a friend or neighbor that will look at it for nothing.

I also have the dilemma concerning the water tank. I finally bought a used plastic 55 gallon drum (soda syrup) cleaned it out real good and strap it down in my truck bed(behind driver's seat). I fill it up with water when I am ready and use a hand pump or syphon to get water as needed.

I kinda like this better than the tank inside because now I have more water storage and no mess in case of a leak. Good luck.
afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 9:28 AM (#42242 - in reply to #42240)

Thanks for the reply.  How do you turn on your lights in those areas?

Thanks,

Brenda

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 10:09 AM (#42243 - in reply to #42238)

Extreme Veteran

sounds like something may be wired incorrectly? or a bad wire. We had lights on one side of my trailer (not a 4 star) not work and then one would work, we redid all the wiring since we found that water got into the wiring and rotted the one wire to all those lights. They all work now. Another suggestion, maybe those lights work off of one switch somewhere else on the trailer, and their individual swithes are for on off when you are using them right there. Hope I didn't confuse you, and I'm not an electrician by any means but hope maybe some info could help ya out. On you tank...............get two tie straps with the cinch hardware on them, I can't really explain them good or know the exact name, but they cinch down by means of a big metal I call it a mini comealong, get some good size washers and screws two for each strap, screw into some beams along side the trailer where you want your tank, one strap on towards mid top and one towards mid bottom, place the screws to the outside of the strap on the back. I wish I could have you see how I have mine, it's easier done than said.......and it will not pull out of the wall and keep your tank in place with water in it......

I found them, they are called ratchet straps, here is a pic of them, I found them online on a boating website, but you could prob. get them at a local hardware store.....

Edited by cowpony01 2006-05-25 10:12 AM
Diamond D Shane
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-05-25 10:14 AM (#42244 - in reply to #42238)

the problem you have described sounds like it is in your truck plug side not the trailer at all.  most tack room,dome lights for horse area and loading lights run off of the truck plug and usually when you have the problem you are talking about it is because the center pin on the plug is not wired hot(power all the time) or the fuse is blown on the truck(accessory fuse) and when this happens there is no way the lights will come on because they have nothing to power them.  have a trailer repair shop check your truck plug in or fuses.  I'm sure this will fix your problem. also some truck models(ford) must have the key turned on for the accessory stuff to work.

Edited by Diamond D Shane 2006-05-25 10:23 AM
afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 10:25 AM (#42245 - in reply to #42243)

Thanks.  I was thinking the same thing about a "master switch" somewhere & was hoping that someone would have a similar trailer & tell me where it is.  I've searched & searched & haven't found one yet.

My tank came with 2 straps, but there is nothing but a flat sheet of aluminum there.  If I can get it close enough to a beam, what type of screws can I use?  Sorry.. completely new to this whole aluminum trailer deal.. 

I found photos online similar to my trailer.  I'll try to post them with the switches & lights cirlced.  Maybe they have nothing to do with those lights???   You can also get an idea of what the wall looks like behind the saddle rack.

Edited by afkatrina 2006-05-25 10:27 AM
afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 10:29 AM (#42246 - in reply to #42244)

Thanks Shane,

My plug they mounted inside my bed is not working at all (had to run over the tailgate), so I'll make sure they check the center pin on both when they fix the one in the bed.

Brenda

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 10:41 AM (#42247 - in reply to #42238)

Extreme Veteran

no beams to screw to.....I see your trailer and what you're saying....uhm, I'm not good with aluminum trailers, I have a steel one and plenty of beams......sounds like you found the light prob.? If nothing works with a new plug, try looking for a master switch for the lights down low around the trailer footing along the sides, maybe near the rear of your trailer? Let us know.....
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 11:00 AM (#42248 - in reply to #42238)

Elite Veteran

On Fords I believe there is a relay fore the trailer lights (inside etc) seperate from your tail lights, not sure what truck you have.

If you know a little about auto electricty you can check the light for operation by taking a new 9 volt battery, the little square ones, and get a couple of wires with alligator clips on them. The lights will be a little dim but will work enough to let you know if they work.

Now if you know what wire on your plug is ground you can hook the - side of the battery to this with the wire.

Hook the + side up to the "Hot" plug and see if the light works. You can check all your lights this way.

The good thing about the small battery is if you short it out or hook it up wrong you will run the battery down but not cause any major problems.

Allways check for power at the plug on the truck before assuming your trailer is bad. You can do this with a cheap troubleshooting light sold at most auto parts places.Also double check that the light has a good ground.

Good luck

arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-25 12:39 PM (#42256 - in reply to #42238)

Veteran

I don't know what type of truck you have.

I have a 2005 GMC and  had a similar situation on my trailer. The problem was fixed by installing a fuse (40 AMP, came with the truck brake wiring harness) that powered up the trailer accessory lights.  Suggest you insure that the fuse is in place if you have a 2000-2006 GMC or Chevy.

afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 1:14 PM (#42257 - in reply to #42256)

I have a 2006 K2500 Chevy.  Where do I need to install the fuse?  In the regular fuse box on the truck or is it somewhere on my brake box? 

I've been towing for years, but never had a trailer fancy enough to have problems with! 

I really appreciate everyone's help!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-05-25 3:47 PM (#42264 - in reply to #42238)

Expert

On mine, there is a switch on the rear of the trailer next to the door hinges, one on either side, one is for the lights inside and the other is for the rear load light. Have you tried those or does your trailer not have those external recessed switches.
afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 4:11 PM (#42265 - in reply to #42264)

It has the switches, but they do nothing.    There is a photo attached to an earlier post with them & the lights circled. 
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-25 4:21 PM (#42266 - in reply to #42257)

Veteran

Fuse box is under the hood (driver's side) over the wheel well.

I think that it is position 1.  Sometimes there is a paper label that slightly covers where the fuse goes. There may be a red "blank" where the fuse goes.  If so remove it and insert the 40 AMP fuse in its place.

Edited by arroyoseccofarm 2006-05-25 5:17 PM
LFEquines
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-25 4:41 PM (#42267 - in reply to #42238)

OK, sorry, I misunderstood where the toggles were. Yes, I have those same switches and they run directly off the truck (when plugged in). So your problem must be in your trailer plug or connection. Did you try using the plug connection at the bumper (not the bed) sometimes if there is a problem, one will work and the other won't.

The water tank issue is just a matter of how bad do you want it in that spot. I like to be able to close that rear tack if needed (loading problems). Also, my saddles are too bulky to allow a tank back there. Have you tried sitting the tank back there with all your tack? Make sure it will fit before you start drilling holes in that nice trailer :)

Also, try talking to a Silver Star dealer and see what kind of options they could provide. Good luck
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-25 5:26 PM (#42268 - in reply to #42238)

Extreme Veteran

Sometimes you have to have your truck running lights on for the interior trailer lights to work.
afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-26 9:56 AM (#42284 - in reply to #42238)

Thanks for everyone's help.  My truck does have that dummy fuse, so I'll be picking up one of those today at lunch.

My water tank fits nicely in that spot even with saddles on the rack and allows the wall to partially close (same as if the saddle rack is in the "open" position, but not removed).  So... I really want it to work there.  I'm going to keep experimenting until I find a way to secure it.  My dressing room is finished, so there is no other place to put it.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! 

Brenda

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-05-26 2:41 PM (#42296 - in reply to #42238)

Extreme Veteran

I have an '03 Silver Star and when I first picked it up from the dealer my interior lights did not work.  My dealer found an unconnected wire and was able to re-connect it.  However in your case, it sounds like the previous owner did have the lights working.  I would agree with Diamond D Shane.  Sounds like a pin is not functioning correctly in your connector.

Hope you like your "new" trailer.  I love mine!

pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-05-26 4:14 PM (#42302 - in reply to #42238)

Regular

afkatrina,

your trailer looks like mine, only newer, and I'm really pleased with it.

my old truck did not have a fuse in that spot either.  hope that fixes your problem.

for my corner water tank, I put self tapping screws, with washer, through the strap into the trailer upright frame piece in the back corner of the collapsible tack.  one high and one low, like someone described.  works great.   one tip:  "dry fit" the strap tight around the tank with the buckle where you want it, mark the strap for the screw site, at the place where the upright will be.  this makes sure the buckle doesn't end up way out of reach when it is tight.  hope this helps.

happy haulin" 

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-05-29 6:02 PM (#42360 - in reply to #42238)

Veteran

I have a 2002 Silver Star Starlite Supreme, bought new.  Lights inside work with toggle switches, as does the floodlight on the outside.  I've never had any problems.

I think you'll need to take the truck/trailer to an RV shop and have them diagnose the problem.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)