'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need Advice***** GARD!!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-07 9:33 PM
19 replies, 6317 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-06 7:19 AM (#119786)
Subject: Need Advice***** GARD!!!!

Elite Veteran

I have come into a situation that I will have to live in my LQ for a while.My concern is what should I do for the winter living. I figured I have my on board water tank to use I can fill when needed.As far as parking it I thought I'll put the gn facing the SE so that the north winds don't hit the gn area. I was thinking of putting straw bales around the trailer to protect the underneath somewhat and thought of maybe a tarp around the front to block some of the wind. I do not have sewer hook up so I will have to unhook and go dump it.Or call someone to come pump it out. I will have electric and water access. I'm worried about the tanks on it. I will let the grey water run out into a field. It does have a forced air furnace the only bare pipes I see underneath is the one that goes across the front to the sink I can put some heat tape and foam installation it that. The rest run along the interior wall. Any suggestion will greatly be appreciated...Oh and I don't have alot of money to get fancy. I know they have the curtain things for 5th wheels but going back to being single after 23 yrs isn't pretty....

Edited by mingiz 2010-05-06 7:20 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-05-06 7:30 AM (#119788 - in reply to #119786)
Subject: RE: Need Advice***** GARD!!!!

Veteran

Sorry about your luck.  You can get "dump dollies" that will allow you to find a spot and park your LQ and not have to move it just to dump.  Hay will work, but you might want to go to your local RV dealer and look for Heat Tape for your pipes.  These work off of your 12 volt system and help keep your pipes from freezing up, but you will still need skirting and the hay.  You will also want to get 3M(or Duck brand from Walmart) window plastic.  The kind that you put on the inside and use a hair dryer to stretch out.  This will help cut down on the drafts.  Depending on where you are parked, you might want to invest in a ceramic heater so you aren't burning through propane in the fall and winter.  Check with the RV dealers parts department near you.  If your are near Randallstown, I would highly recommend Charlies Camping World.  They have a large parts department and are good people to deal with.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-06 7:41 AM (#119790 - in reply to #119786)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the ideas The trailer itself has good seals it's usually a 10 degree difference between trailer inside and outside temps...I'm about 2 hrs from Randallstown.  I know that I can do the heat tape and plug it into the elec outlet on the trailer. The ceramic heater idea is good. THX
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-05-06 8:12 AM (#119791 - in reply to #119786)

Elite Veteran

I believe that Charlies is now closed.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-06 8:23 AM (#119792 - in reply to #119786)

Expert

I agree with NI's ideas. With electrical available, using a heat source other than your furnace, will be much easier than constantly refilling propane tanks. We have a 13' LQ, and one ceramic heater easily maintains a comfortable interior at temps in the mid 20's. A second one should help at colder times.

The water situation will be more difficult to address, and heat tapes are really your only alternative for exterior lines. I would favour the a/c tapes rather than the 12V variants. The tapes use a lot of amps, particularly on long runs, and I would be leery of how much your converter is able to supply on a constant basis.

Eliminating the wind from passing under the floor areas, will greatly enhance your comfort. Hay bales, fiberglass panels, plywood, something rigid to block the wind will help. If the trailer won't be moved, these could be installed a little more permanently.

You can purchase the dump totes with wheels, that have a larger capacity than your holding tanks. If one were left attached to your trailer and the dump valve was left open, it would fill the tote instead of the holding tanks. This would certainly work with the gray water, but the solids in the black water tank, would be difficult to flush into the tote. This could be a problem in freezing temps. An anti freeze should be added to the tank before it is used, which would prevent the tank and valves from freezing.

As was stated, a plastic liner could be added to your windows, along with heavy curtains to prevent some of the heat loss.

Over all, staying warm shouldn't be the issue. The water supply and waste will be the more difficult aspects to address. When I was first married, we owned a mobile home in upstate NY, a bad place in the winter. We had exactly the same issues you will face. Heat tapes, pipe insulation, power outages, frozen water lines, were all common issues that weren't fully resolved, until we bought our home.

I'm very sorry for your personal situation, and wish you the best of luck.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-05-06 9:01 AM (#119793 - in reply to #119786)

Originally written by mingiz on 2010-05-06 7:19 AM

I have come into a situation that I will have to live in my LQ for a while.My concern is what should I do for the winter living. I figured I have my on board water tank to use I can fill when needed.As far as parking it I thought I'll put the gn facing the SE so that the north winds don't hit the gn area. I was thinking of putting straw bales around the trailer to protect the underneath somewhat and thought of maybe a tarp around the front to block some of the wind. I do not have sewer hook up so I will have to unhook and go dump it.Or call someone to come pump it out. I will have electric and water access. I'm worried about the tanks on it. I will let the grey water run out into a field. It does have a forced air furnace the only bare pipes I see underneath is the one that goes across the front to the sink I can put some heat tape and foam installation it that. The rest run along the interior wall. Any suggestion will greatly be appreciated...Oh and I don't have alot of money to get fancy. I know they have the curtain things for 5th wheels but going back to being single after 23 yrs isn't pretty....

Are you sure that one is not the LP line running to the hot water heater? Is it black (or possibly rusted) steel pipe?

As far as the grey water goes, if you are going to keep it drained, it shouldn't be an issue. You can get tank heaters for those. They are basically a "blanket" of heat tapes that attaches to the bottom of your tanks.

Edited by Tresvolte 2010-05-06 9:02 AM
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-05-06 9:02 AM (#119794 - in reply to #119786)

Veteran

Charlies is not out of buisness.  Called the number and it was answered.

http://charliesrv.channelbladelive.com/content.asp?nav=141213&cpid=29233&

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-06 9:58 AM (#119798 - in reply to #119786)

Elite Veteran

Thanks all for the information. I forgot about the heaters for the holding tanks. And now that it was mentioned the one pipe I do see may be the gas line. DUH!!! Not thinking to straight right now...After this past winter I may have to change my plans....How do I find out how much the converter will handle..for the ceramic heaters. I will be plugged into shore power and I'm going to have a heavy duty line for power I had the flat stuff for wiring homes before but it got ruined...I was going to do that again..If I put heaters on the tanks and block everything from the elements will I survive?
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-05-06 10:46 AM (#119803 - in reply to #119786)

Veteran

You should survive.  As far as the converter goes, check the owners manual and/ original paperwork.  It should tell you what type of converter was used.  Or just take it to the local RV service center and have them tell you.  An honest one will only recommend what will be best for you and your purposes.  Make sure you give them all the information on what you are going to be doing.  Then they will know what to recommend.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-06 11:19 AM (#119804 - in reply to #119786)

Elite Veteran

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! as usual HTW forum peeps are the bomb!!!!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-06 12:34 PM (#119813 - in reply to #119804)

Expert

Originally written by mingiz on 2010-05-06 12:19 PM

You should come down and visit us this weekend..... http://www.showhorsemanagement.com/TarheelPlantationClassic.html

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-05-06 1:16 PM (#119816 - in reply to #119786)

Elite Veteran

The other thing you ned to think about. Is your water source going to be hooked up to your trailer for a constant flow, or refill the holding tank as needed? If you are going to have constant flow your hose could freeze up when water is not flowwing and would need to be drained when not in use. Here in MN, it gets cold enough that a hose can freeze in a matter of minutes. even an unprotected hose with a slow flow will freeze.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-07 3:45 AM (#119834 - in reply to #119786)

Elite Veteran

I won't have a water hose hooked up I was going to use the on board water tank and fill as needed.. I know about hoses freezing quickly... THX
Dee S.
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-05-07 10:59 AM (#119846 - in reply to #119786)

I have done a fair amount of cold weather camping with my LQ trailer and have learned a few things that might help you.   Unless you are going to park a propane truck next to your trailer you will need an electric heater.   While it is an investment of about $250.00...a EdenPURE heater (the smaller unit they offer is big enough for 300 sq. ft.) is the safest way to heat your trailer and you would not have to be afraid to leave it operating while you are gone. It also circulates the air from floor to ceiling and into the gooseneck much better than other types of heaters. If you need to use an extension cord to reach an outlet be sure to buy the shortest one necessary and heavy duty to prevent overheating the cord.  The ceramic heaters get hot on three sides and draw more amps of power.  A 2" piece of foam insulation board under your goose neck mattress will stop the transfer of cold to your mattress.  The water pump is vulnerable if it is screwed directly to the floor....it can freeze.  Put a square of insulation board under it.  The fresh water inlet hose where you put water into your trailer is another weak point.     A round piece of 2" styrofoam insulation will fit behind the little plastic door on your water inlet and keep the cold air from funneling down to your tank.  Leaving the cabinet doors open under your kitchen sink and bathroom vanity on cold nights is a huge help. If you have a cabinet door opening into the space where your fresh water tank is, then open that door also. Trailer floors are always cold...so a good pair of warm slippers and heavy throw rugs for the floors will make things more cozy.  You can pour RV anti freeze into your black water (sewer) holding tank to keep it from freezing solid and plan on draining your tank into a portable one during the warmest part of the day so it will flow.  I have repeatedly camped down to 15 degrees on unprotected camp sites and been OK.  Sorry to hear that it will be necessary for you to do all this.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-05-07 11:53 AM (#119849 - in reply to #119786)

Extreme Veteran

You might want to rethink the straw bales, as they draw rodents like kids to the candy store. Use some kind of siding instead and put out bait bars under your rig where it will be out of reach for other animals.

Marla
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-05-07 1:36 PM (#119859 - in reply to #119786)

Elite Veteran

We lived in a 5th wheel for 22 months while building our house. Learned alot about long term RV living. I agree with siding/plywood vs straw/hay for blocking wind from under the trailer. We did straw and it drew the mice in like crazy. Go with something else that mice won't eat and/or nest in. For your black tank, I recommend calling your local Porta-potty, Sani-can, etc. company in your area and arranging for them to deliver a 250 +/- gallon holding tank. You dump your on-board black water tank into the holding tank and then call them to have it pumped. Way easier than moving your trailer to dump or using one of those smaller rolling tanks.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-07 9:25 PM (#119893 - in reply to #119846)

Elite Veteran

Thanks about the heater and I'm going to have a heavy duty cord made for the extension cord. NOt sure yet how far from the electric I will be. I was thinking more of plywood for skirting,my water pump id mounted to the outside wall, the tankis under the dinette I don't have any cabinets on the floor or any opening to my water tank..except lift the seat and board up.Great idea for the GN sleeper to. I have arthritis and the cold kills me...Again thanks for the ideas...
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-07 9:27 PM (#119894 - in reply to #119816)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by genebob on 2010-05-06 2:16 PM

The other thing you ned to think about. Is your water source going to be hooked up to your trailer for a constant flow, or refill the holding tank as needed? If you are going to have constant flow your hose could freeze up when water is not flowwing and would need to be drained when not in use. Here in MN, it gets cold enough that a hose can freeze in a matter of minutes. even an unprotected hose with a slow flow will freeze.

I will fill as needed I have access to a frost free spigot...

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-07 9:30 PM (#119895 - in reply to #119859)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by headhunter on 2010-05-07 2:36 PM

We lived in a 5th wheel for 22 months while building our house. Learned alot about long term RV living. I agree with siding/plywood vs straw/hay for blocking wind from under the trailer. We did straw and it drew the mice in like crazy. Go with something else that mice won't eat and/or nest in. For your black tank, I recommend calling your local Porta-potty, Sani-can, etc. company in your area and arranging for them to deliver a 250 +/- gallon holding tank. You dump your on-board black water tank into the holding tank and then call them to have it pumped. Way easier than moving your trailer to dump or using one of those smaller rolling tanks.

Wow I didn't know that you could get a storage tank from those places I did have them come dump my camper years ago when I stayed in it temporaily...THx my tanks are the biggest worry with it... I will call and ask about one...

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-07 9:33 PM (#119896 - in reply to #119813)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by retento on 2010-05-06 1:34 PM

Originally written by mingiz on 2010-05-06 12:19 PM

You should come down and visit us this weekend..... http://www.showhorsemanagement.com/TarheelPlantationClassic.html

I would love to but all my extra will be spent on storage fees ,  etc for now. Rain check ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)