'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Do-It-Yourself LQ on '02 Silver Star

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-23 10:20 PM
1 replies, 2442 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-23 1:56 PM (#52794)
Subject: Do-It-Yourself LQ on '02 Silver Star

Veteran

I've gotten much of the work done installing the insulation on my '02 Silver Star, and am coming to the realization that maybe having LQ professionally installed is not a viable option due to cost.

That doesn't mean the result can be less than professional, up to code, and safe.

Does anyone know of a book that tells us how to do this job from the ground up?  What codes are applicable?

Also... what do folks suggest with regards to the floor?  The factory floor supports 2.5" horizontal beams to which the vertical wall studs are mounted.  The existing floor is low enough that there's a bit of step to get out of the trailer or to walk through the pass-through door between the planned LQ and horse sections.  My thought is to build the trailer floor up from the existing factory floor so that the base of the plywood/insulation/plywood sandwich that will make up the new floor lies on top of the supports.  Obviously, there will be bracing on top of the existing floor to hold up the new floor.  Does this sound like a good way to go?  Seems the most reasonable way to me, so far.

Also, where do the freshwater and dirty water tanks go?  This, the electrical system, and any gas line work, are the only parts of the project I'll probably leave up to a pro.  However, having some knowledge beforehand will allow me to save a few pennies by "roughing-in" things.

Thank you,

Mike

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-12-23 10:20 PM (#52810 - in reply to #52794)
Subject: RE: Do-It-Yourself LQ on '02 Silver Star

Extreme Veteran

You will need to layout where you want everything first.  Your freshwater tank is almost always installed inside the LQ.  In most cases under a bench or sofa.  The gray and black water tanks are installed under the trailer.  This is why you need to know where you want things such as shower, toilet, and sink.  They will have to have a way to drain in the holding tanks under the trailer.  HWBar and some others have had some really nice threads on do it yourself LQ.  You might check the archives to see what is on there.  Hopefully, others will lend a hand in knowing where these posts are located.  Also, there was another member that did a good job at posting step by step pictures of their LQ as they installed it. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)