'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
5th wheel VS gooseneck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-27 9:25 PM
1 replies, 3535 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

recurveman
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-27 9:09 PM (#37939)
Subject: 5th wheel VS gooseneck

Regular

I had a gooseneck hitch installed in my truck today and I've been telling buddies about it.  Each and everytime I get the question.  What is the difference between a gooseneck and a 5th wheel.  My response is always the same.  Duh I don't know......  I know that one is just a ball and the other is a bunch of metal in the bed of your truck.  I just don't know the reasons.

Why do they use a gooseneck for horse trailers and 5th wheels for travel trailers?  What is the basic difference?

Thanks,

Chad

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MarkM
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 9:25 PM (#37941 - in reply to #37939)
Subject: RE: 5th wheel VS gooseneck

My belief is that gooseneck hitches are heavier duty (usually rated around 30K). A 5th wheel hitch (heaviest I have seen is 22K) most common around 16K, is used for travel trailers because travel trailers need more stablilty because they are lighter and sometimes higher than your normal horsetrailer, high winds can be very dangerous with RV trailers even with the extra stablilty a 5th wheel offers.

Goosenech hitches like I said before are heavier duty (2 5/16 ball and bigger) my B&W is rated at 30K. For horse trailers and flatbed trailers goosenecks seem to be more versatile than a 5th wheel.  

They both have a place in trailer towing just depends on what your towing behind you. Thats my 2cents!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)