'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer roof vents leaking

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-18 10:47 PM
1 replies, 4236 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TBchick
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-04-18 9:20 PM (#133148)
Subject: Trailer roof vents leaking

Regular

My newly acquired 2002 Featherlite trailer is leaking in the area of the two roof vents. I haven't had a chance to climb up there yet. When I do, is there likely a gasket or piece of caulking that needs to be replaced? Not sure where to start.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-04-18 10:47 PM (#133156 - in reply to #133148)
Subject: RE: Trailer roof vents leaking

Expert

Usually a caulking is applied between the vent flange and the roof's surface when it is installed. The vent takes quite a beating on top, whenever you're at speed with your rig. A tractor trailer passing in the opposite direction, forces a wind equaling almost double your speed.

The vents will flex and move about, pulling on the roofing and eventually often breaking the seal. Clean off any old loose and dried caulking, that was applied externally since the trailer was manufactured. Apply a new polyurethane or elastomeric sealant and you should be good to go.

On the inside, spray some light oil on the cross rod that rubs on the cam tracks. Make sure the vents are moving easily, and they lock in the centered position detent. If they don't, water can leak inside while driving or whenever a wind drives the rain.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)