'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fiberglass over a steel trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-06 9:49 PM
1 replies, 3437 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

PinkMartini
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-06 6:08 PM (#132687)
Subject: Fiberglass over a steel trailer?

New User

I have a 2H Bumper Pull that has seen better days. The former owner went under a low tree limb and put a huge dent in the roof. There is a hole in the middle of the dent. The trailer body has some rust, surface mostly, but around the dent it's really starting to deteriorate.

I plan on getting the dent out of the roof. And then making sure all the rust is taken care of. Sand blast it, and the treat the worst of the rust like I would do restoring a car. But to prevent further rust could I fiberglass over the steel? My father and I have worked with fiberglass many times when restoring old boats.

I want to do the entire exterior. Then I would sand it down to a smooth finish and paint.

Is this possible?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-04-06 9:49 PM (#132698 - in reply to #132687)
Subject: RE: Fiberglass over a steel trailer?

Expert

You won't be able to use an iso or polyester "boat yard" resin, to lay out the glass and have it adhere well over time to steel. You would have to use an epoxy resin, and for the trailer's size, to fill and fair the glass weave, the resin costs would be substantial. You would have to invest in a great deal of labour and materials, to end up with a smooth surface.

If it were my trailer, I would sand the damaged area to bare metal, use a rust converter, apply an etching epoxy primer, fair with polyester body filler, prime and paint the roof. Except for the damage repair, I effected the same roof coating on a trailer restoration I made a few years ago. It held up well.

If you are concerned about a coating, elastomeric products are durable, light reflecting and water proof. They can be applied over many surfaces including steel, and are available from many sources.

BOL  Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)