'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
De-winterizing

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-26 8:02 PM
1 replies, 3288 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sheryl
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-03-26 11:54 AM (#118034)
Subject: De-winterizing

Veteran

I plan to de-winterize this weekend or next.  I have an anode rod to replace the drain plug in my water heater.  There is a build up of "crud" in the hole where it goes.  What should I use to remove this?  Is it harmful to my water heater?  Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-03-26 8:02 PM (#118041 - in reply to #118034)
Subject: RE: De-winterizing

Extreme Veteran

The crud is most likely the left over plumbers thread seal from the old one.  Just wipe it off.  If it is white bubbly hard residue that could have been corrosion from a leak.  Scrap it off.

I would flush out your tank with a garden hose.  I used a female plastic hose mend from HD and attached a length of 3/4 clear tube I had lying around so I could get the water inside the tank.  As I was flushing the tank I took another length of the tube and created a syphen to vaccume the bottom out (worked like a charm) I was amazed how much sand came out when I did that.

When your ready to reinstall the new anode just coat it with plumbers thread seal and tighten like a spark plug  No need to crank it with all your might.

I use the bottle brush style wire brushes and reach into the flame chamber and then blow compressed air to get all the rust out of there.

I gently brush all the fittings and connections and then air gun everything off.  I do the same for the Refer.

The first light of the season is tough run the stove for a few minutes to get the propane thru the lines.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)