'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Is there anyone out there that goes horse camping with their motorhome & trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-04 10:19 AM
18 replies, 7275 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-06 3:53 PM (#73881)
Subject: Is there anyone out there that goes horse camping with their motorhome & trailer?

Regular

I was just wondering if any of you tow a horse trailer with your motor home.  If you do, what type and length of motor home do you own and what type of trailer do you tow?  I recently purchased a 24 ft Class C Coachmen with a V 10 engine that I would like to use as a tow vehicle when we go horse camping. I own a two horse straight load with a dressing room. I'm guessing it weighs about 5000 pounds fully loaded. Are there any suggestions from anyone on what I should do to beef up the motor home to make it safer?  What do I need to be careful of when towing with this type of rig?  Also, how difficult is it to backup with a rig like this? Any comments or advise will be appreciated.

Yes, a horse trailer with living quarters would have been nice, but we also enjoy camping without the horses, so we thought this would be the way to go.

Danyel

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-06 4:08 PM (#73883 - in reply to #73881)
Subject: RE: Is there anyone out there that goes horse camping with their motorhome & trailer?

Expert

My dad used to every year.  He'd go on the 2wk San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo rides.  I don't remember exactly what camper he had, but it was a class C and slept 6. The trailer was a WW 2horse with the under manger tack. He used to have a vinyl magnifier thing in the rear window so he could see the trailer to hook up and back up.  They still sell those at camping world.  He would always say don't back up unless you have to and then do it really slow.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-07 6:39 AM (#73906 - in reply to #73881)
Subject: RE: Is there anyone out there that goes horse camping with their motorhome & trailer?

Expert

I used to ride in CTR and put on a few CTR rides, Still show up at  a few Endurance Races.  I see folks in RV's pulling horse trailers at these events. I also see a lot of the ATV and Boating  crowd pulling trailers behind their RV's.  So folks do it. I personally don't have any experience with it.

I would talk with your RV dealer. to see what trailer load the RV is rated to pull, how heavy of a bumper hitch weight it can support. Most RV's have a long overhang behind the rear axle.  This limits how much weight you can put on the bumper hitch.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-01-07 7:19 AM (#73909 - in reply to #73881)

Elite Veteran

We have several club members with RV"s pulling trailers.  Two have 35' motorhomes and pull 3-4 hours trailers and have gone to IL, IN, etc  One member has a smaller one (not sure of the size) & she is selling it as she doesn't like how it pulls her 2H BP DR (Hawk) trailer. Sorry I don't have more specific info on the size of the RV.

I have heard that when driving you can't see the trailer at all and backing can be tricky.  The two people above that have the big rigs both used to be firemen and are used to handling huge vehicles, so they never seem to have a problem.

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-01-07 7:37 AM (#73911 - in reply to #73881)

Extreme Veteran

We have some friends who are getting ready to purchase a motor home to pull their trailer.  They like to camp and ride, but he also likes to hunt and fish.  So the MH is more practical since it can be used for all those activities.

I have seen several outfits like that at different camps.  The people really seem to enjoy their setup.

RIDE ON! 

Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-07 12:51 PM (#73936 - in reply to #73881)

Veteran

I use to have a 19 foot Class C MH and pulled a 3 horse trailer (with 2 horses).   Had it for a couple of years and never had a problem backing it up.  I did put a magnifier on the back window as Terry mentioned and used my two side mirrors.  You will want to tow with a WDH and stabilizer bar as they really help keep it stable when 18 wheelers breeze by you.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-08 2:42 PM (#74035 - in reply to #73881)

Extreme Veteran

Some friends tow their 4H BP with their 35'+ diesel pusher. They really have to be careful which camping spots they choose. Ive never watched them back up, but I wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal as long as they had plenty of room. When we ride with them, we don't always get to camp in the spot I would like to, but you would be surprised at some of the forest service roads we convince them to travel down.
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-08 3:04 PM (#74037 - in reply to #73881)

Regular

Thank you all for the advise and remarks. I can't even imagine towing with a 30+ foot long RV. I'm hoping that I'll be able to fit most anywhere with my 24ft plus the extra 12 or so foot trailer.

Keep the comments coming. I want to learn as much as I can before I start towing.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-09 9:47 AM (#74089 - in reply to #73881)

Elite Veteran

>>wondering if any of you tow a horse trailer with your motor home. If you do, what type and length of motor home do you own and what type of trailer do you tow? Hi,I have a 1993 Class A Damon Challenger RV. It's 26' long with I think a Chevy 450 (?). Geez...can't believe I forgot the engine size. HA! I have only had the RV for one year.I haul a 2007 Sundowner Sunlite 727 2 horse bumper pull. I have two horses; a 13.2 hand Icelandic gelding about 900 lbs and a 30" mini mare about 250 lbs. Since I do not have a tack room in my barn, my trailer pretty much holds all my horse stuff. I also have two (2) 35 gallon water tanks in the trailer's hay rack.>>Are there any suggestions from anyone on what I should do to beef up the motor home to make it safer? I would strongly recommend that you have your RV inspected by a reputable shop who specializes in trailer work. Such as a welding shop who beefs up RV and those racing car trailers. I took my RV to Crystal Welding in MN and they inspected my RV's undercarriage, frame, etc to make sure there were no cracks. Then they "beefed" the frame up. They added a ton of steel the frame from the rear to the past the back axle. They also installed the brake control and a anti-sway weight distribution bar on my Sundowner. I can not stress enough to you to make sure this is done on your RV and trailer.Also make sure your brakes and radiator will handle hauling your trailer. I would also install air bags on the front and rear axles, as well as a Steer Safe (on front axle) or similar safety measure.The air bags will help with trailer load, and the Steer Safe with help when driving in high winds or when semis race by you. The Steer Safe will also help with driver fatigue (tired arms). When you are hauling with an RV...it feels like you are driving a billboard, and the winds tend to toss the rig around a lot. I would also suggest that before hauling your horses, you load up the rig and just do some driving to get a "feel" for how your rig feels.Oh...also get a Awning Lock!! I almost had mine ripped off when traveling thru NM & AZ....geez it's windy in those states. BTW...the longest trip I took in my RV hauling my horse trailer was from WI to Bakersfield, CA and 11 days later....back to WI. >>What do I need to be careful of when towing with this type of rig? I love my RV...love camping in it and all the added room that it provides. But it can be a b!$*# to drive. Really be award of what effect high winds and passing semis have on your rig. Make sure you give yourself enough stopping time!! That's a lot of weight!Carry the right hand tools in case you break down. Carry levelers!! You will need them when you get to the camp ground. >>Also, how difficult is it to backup with a rig like this? For me....not a problem, but I have my CDL. If you are good at backing up a truck and bumper pull trailer, you should be fine. Before backing ...get out and plan how and where you will back up. Look up, down and all around for any hazzards. And take your time backing up. If you can not see your trailer...you can add extra mirrors to your RV's mirrors. >>horse trailer with living quarters would have been nice, but we also enjoy camping without the horses, so we thought this would be the way to goWe went with the RV for a few reasons; wanted a bed on the floor, needed more room, wanted a bathroom/shower and the RV was in MINT condition, only one other owner before me, and it was priced right. If I had decided to go with a bigger slide-in camper (to get potty/shower) I would have needed at least a 8'5" or 9" slide-in camper. And I wasn't sure I wanted to add an extended hitch. Also, it would have meant buying a newer truck, as my 89' Ford would not have handled a heavier slide-in camper. So...instead of buying a new slide-in camper and a new-to-me truck...which would have cost at least $30,000 or more, we decided on the RV which cost about 50% of that.Oh...you may want to look at some RV forums for more info. That are several on YahooGroups and Camping World also have a good forum. Have fun with your RV...you will love hauling with it.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-09 9:51 AM (#74090 - in reply to #73881)

Elite Veteran

OH...fogot to mention, get USRIDER!!! www.usrider.org
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-09 5:31 PM (#74118 - in reply to #74090)

Regular

Thank you Icepony. That was very helpful. This RV is also in mint condition and has very low miles. It's a 98 model with  airbags on the axals.  I'll definetly get the braking system and the anti-sway bar. I also plan on getting one of those backup mirrors. i thing that will be helpful. I already have US Rider and just love them. Twice they have helped me out. All great advise.

Just out of curisosity, what did it cost to get the RV's framed beefed up?

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-09 8:26 PM (#74128 - in reply to #74118)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by LazyDayHorseFarm. TN on 2008-01-09 5:31 PM
This RV is also in mint condition and has very low miles.>

Mine also had low mileage...only 16,000. We both lucked out.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-09 8:32 PM (#74131 - in reply to #74118)

Elite Veteran

Just out of curisosity, what did it cost to get the RV's framed beefed up?

Oh goodness...you don't want to know. It was about $2,000. But...now the RV is rated to haul 10,000 lbs. And it's safe going down the road!!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-09 11:44 PM (#74137 - in reply to #73881)

Expert

I have a Class A 32' that I have hauled to rides etc pulling a 2 horse Sundowner, have an electric brake control in the RV and it worked great.... backing up to park was really easy, and it was what I was dreading.  Drive with good common sense and a sensitive eye to the horses welfare in the trailer and enjoy.  We also have a LQ gooseneck horse trailer for hunting, so when we get there we unload the mules and use the horse trailer for all kinds of out of the weather storage and mud room, and have the 4WD truck for runs to town or whatever,  but both systems have worked well for us, and I would not hesitate to use the motorhome for a camp-out again, esp if we had guests with us, for the extra sleeping space in the 32 footer.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-14 6:14 PM (#74405 - in reply to #73881)

Elite Veteran

I have a 31 ft class A. I pulled an 18 ft trailer behind it and I have "carefully" been in some places you wouldn't even think to see a motorhome. I need to get a gooseneck. If you didn't have too much trouble finding a spot it was nice but forget backing up. I actually did quite a few times with success but accompanied with it were a "few" sweat drops coming down my forehead. Another problem was if you needed to run somewhere your vehicle hence is your motorhome. Pain in the backside for me......Remember that you're all front end. You need alot of room to turn around and back in. Goosenecks pivet but I don't think they require as much turn around space and back up front end space. Also, I couldn't feel the trailer let alone see it (no back up camera) very well. I'd catch a glimpse of the wheel wells and that was it. It could've come off and if I wasn't paying attention, I probably wouldn't have caught it right away. I didn't like that at all. I always double if not triple check my hook up and trailer latches before taking off but that set up made me feel even more cautious. It's going along with the boat!

A little heads up...Gotta watch those two tracks. They have a tendency to get more narrow the further down you go.

Edited by Gone 2008-01-14 7:01 PM
okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 8:06 PM (#75246 - in reply to #73881)

Hi there. I have been pulling a two horse bumper pull with a small dressing room with a class A 33' MH for almost 10 years.  Most places I have no trouble parking. But I prefer places I can get reservations and like flat, long spots. I can back it pretty good. I have a camera but it is no help other than to know the trailer is still "following" me. I use my mirrors. I can watch the fenders and know when I need to adjust my steering. If I can't see the trailer, I know it is backing up straight. If you are by yourself, you will always find a kind horseperson to help guide you. All the above advice is right on. If I had it to do over again, I would get a 26' or so. Once you get there, you have got a very comfortable LQ. Now that I'm in my 60's I do love it when hubby goes. We have only been in one place where we had trouble. THat was in Valle Vidal, NM. Coming down. Going up was a 2 1/2 hr trek. The LQ trailers were also going slow. Coming down our brakes got hot. Won't go there again in the MH! I've been to Ark, Mo, Tx, NM pulling my horses. For the first time last year we used USRider for tire changing. I was glad we had them.

We also do other things with the MH, so it fit our situation better. I would like to find a small 2 horse gooseneck just for me tho' when my hubby doesn't go. But we would also still keep the MH.

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-24 9:27 PM (#75251 - in reply to #73881)

Regular

Okeydar,

That was all very useful information.  Thank you.  Did you ever have any reinforcement done on the RV's frame for extra support? Do you have an anti-sway bar hooked to the trailer?  Most of my trips will be by myself since my husband is not that big into riding, so I'm sure I may need a helping hand at times backing into campsites.

Happy trails to you and thanks again.

Danielle

okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-01-25 11:31 PM (#75307 - in reply to #73881)

No, we didn't have any re-enforcement done and we don't use a sway bar. I do know we have air bags on the front. I'm not sure of the back. I don't know any anything about the mechanics as hubby takes care of that. I know I don't have trouble pulling unless it is real windy. Then I have touble even without a trailer. We have also pulled a car all over the US.

You will learn to get to a campground and get out and do a walkover of the site you have picked out. Height of the trees and location. As one person stated, it doesn't turn when backing like a gooseneck trailer. We have had our MH places where even I'm not sure we did it!!!!

But the MH has a nice bath, full kitchen with huge fridge, dinette and a couch. In bad weather, we have had several people in it. ALso, everyone knows I carry ice cream for root beer floats!!!! Have fun!!!

There are always downsides to any mode of camping rig you choose. Being stuck in a campground is one. But I travel with several others and can always hitch a ride when going to town.

I have level things built into the MH, but I prefer to just put small planks of wood down and drive up on them. I keep them in the MH.

SarahR
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-04 10:19 AM (#76022 - in reply to #73881)

I think Janine and Jim Wilder (http://www.horsetravels.com/) lived in a motorhome pulling a horse trailer AND a truck for five years, riding all over the country. Maybe you can call her and see what she says?

Sarah

www.fourcornerstrails.com

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World