'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Summer Heat Trailering suggestion!!! LOOK

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-07 8:49 PM
18 replies, 10161 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Daniel Forman
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-29 1:48 PM (#45638)
Subject: Summer Heat Trailering suggestion!!! LOOK

A few months back I went to Walmart and found a wireless thermometer.. The one unit goes out side and the display unit stays inside.. The product ran around $15.00.. I put the display unit in my truck and the thermometer unit in my (horse trailer area) they are both battery operated and this lets you keep a check on what the temp is on your horses while hauling down the road, all for about $20, and it works great! I just wanted to share this with yall.. It will work great in winter as well as summer.. You would be surprised at how hot it gets in the trailer going up and down the road.. When I see its getting hot back there I will stop, and throw a few bags of ice on my shavings...Just found something cheap that works for me, and wanted to pass it along to yall.. Take Care, cause its one hot summer! Dan

Edited by Daniel Forman 2006-07-29 1:59 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Daniel Forman
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-29 1:58 PM (#45639 - in reply to #45638)
Subject: RE: Summer Heat Trailering suggestion!!! LOOK

Click to enlargepad<h>WS7013U Wireless Indoor Outdoor Thermometer</h>

DISCONTINUED BY LACROSSE... JULY 2006. CHECK OUT THE WS9013U WHICH DOES ALL THAT THE WS7013U DOES AND HAS AN ATOMIC CLOCK.

WS7013U Wireless Indoor and Outdoor Thermometer with manual set clock. Measure indoor temperature and outdoor temperature using a wireless outdoor sensor. Features Minimum/Maximum temperature memory. Comes with a 1 year warranty from LaCrosse Technology and Franklin Time and Weather's 30 day money back guarantee. Free Ground shipping in the continental US .

** Compare the Basic Wireless Instruments ( Thermometers, Hygrometers, & Forecasters ) with our Basic Wireless Instruments Chart **

Features

• Indoor temperature
  • Wireless outdoor temperature
  • Includes (1) TX6U In/Out temp sensor, requires [2] 'AA' batteries (not incl.)
  • Displays data from three possible sensors
  • Min/Max for temperature with time and date recording
  • Manual set clock
  • Battery operated display (2-AAA not included)
  • Free standing or wall hanging
  • Dimensions (D x W x H): 1" x 2 3/4" x 4 3/4"
TX6U (Included)
Wireless Temperature Sensor
  • Temperature
  • Transmits to receiver
  • Indoor or outdoor
  • Battery powered ( 2 - 'AA' not included )
  • Dimensions: 5.04"H x 1.57"W x 0.9"D

For Extra Sensors Click Here

<form action=http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/wg-order?time-weather+ltwirther method=post>WS7013U Wireless Indoor Outdoor Thermometer
WS7013UpadCompare at: $39.95padOur Low Price: $22.99pad

Daniel Forman
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-29 2:16 PM (#45643 - in reply to #45638)

Forgot to add one thing, if you have been at a weekend barrel race, with your trailer plugged in and the ac on all weekend, like I do,, I always close all my drop downs up, thiefs are every where... It seems like when I am packing up and loading horses to head out,,, the horse part has been all shut up and is awful hot,,, so about 20 minutes before I hit the road I open my mid door to my horse area, this lets the air cool the trailer down before loading them... No it doesnot make it cold, but after its been shut up all weekend it cools the horse area quicker.. Then I drop my windows, unplug, and load up and when I load my horses the trailer is cool,, instead of feeling like an oven! Some people dont have the middle door, but if you do, this is a good trick... Dan
-----
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-29 9:03 PM (#45655 - in reply to #45638)

Veteran

good idea. thanks for the tip!

Daniel Forman
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-31 4:46 PM (#45751 - in reply to #45638)

Dont forget wetting down your shavings and throwing bags of ice on them,, during long hauls really helps! Dan
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-02 4:29 PM (#45912 - in reply to #45638)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the tip, I went out and bought one today.. it was on sale for 11.00 at Walmart (had the red tag).  I am hauling to Chicago this month and I didn't want to overheat my horse in this weather.  The ice tip is great, too!!   This is why I love this forum!!!

Jbsny

Darwinsdata
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-02 4:45 PM (#45914 - in reply to #45638)

Wow, great idea!  I have added tail-side fans to my trailer as well.  Keeps the air moving.  My local dealer installed for me, 100.00 each, two speed on their own switches.  Gives me some comfort in knowing at least air is circulating, even when at a dead stop.  It takes a moment for the horses to get used to it, but no trouble at all really.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-04 9:00 AM (#46008 - in reply to #45638)

Elite Veteran

I always carry extra ice and cold drinks along with spray bottles.

I have been stoped in traffic for long periods of time and the cold drinks work good for Me and the spray bottles get filled with water and sprayed on the horses for extra cooling.

I found if I put ice in the manger they will lick on it and eat it.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-04 9:23 AM (#46014 - in reply to #45638)

Elite Veteran

The owner of the delinquent doggie, a contractor, told police he left the animal in his car while he worked on a nearby job.

He left the engine and the air conditioner running because of the heat.

Just don't leave your dog in the truck !

The worst damage most dogs do is chew up the occasional shoe, knock over a trash can or two or soil the carpet. 

Neighbors say a dog was behind the wheel of a car when it smashed into a Cumming house and then crashed into another car parked in the garage

Neighbors believe the dog somehow knocked the vehicle out of park and sent it careening into the house.  "The puppy was jumping around and hit the gas pedal and it started going."

The homeowners were home at the time but were not near the garage. No one was injured.

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-08-04 9:32 AM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-04 9:37 AM (#46015 - in reply to #45638)

Elite Veteran

There is also a lady in NH that bakes cookies on her dashboard ! she says it saves energy and makes her car smell good!

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-05 4:14 PM (#46050 - in reply to #45638)

Extreme Veteran

At what temperature do you put in the ice?   I am hauling to Chicago this month and I want to make sure my horses are OK during the six hour drive.  Praying it isn't as hot as it was last week, my QH almost overheated and I caught him just in time.

Jbsny

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-08-06 4:39 PM (#46082 - in reply to #46050)

Expert

I have the flat backed bucket brackets in my trailer and on long trips I keep a bucket of water in front of my horses.  I'm not sure if they wear or drink more, but they always come out of the trailer with a wet head/neck/chest and don't want to drink after unloading.  I refill the buckets at every stop.  If its really hot (like this last trip) I'll add some ice to the water.  My filly had a blast trying to grab it out of the water.  She was SOAKED!  So was her dam.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-06 7:13 PM (#46094 - in reply to #45638)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the tip, I have those bucket holders in my trailer.. I will use them on this trip!!!!!!!

Jbsny

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-06 7:28 PM (#46095 - in reply to #45638)

Veteran

Great tips Thanks.We'll hose them down before we load up also.Took small salt blocks when weathers HOT put in bucket.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-06 9:07 PM (#46104 - in reply to #46095)

Extreme Veteran

If I'm on a long hot haul I will rinse out our 2gal weed sprayer fill it and use it to wet down the shavings, the evaporation cools things a tad. If I unload them I will spray them to help cool them down.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-06 10:11 PM (#46113 - in reply to #46050)

Expert

Originally written by Jbsny on 2006-08-05 4:14 PM

At what temperature do you put in the ice? I am hauling to Chicago this month and I want to make sure my horses are OK during the six hour drive. Praying it isn't as hot as it was last week, my QH almost overheated and I caught him just in time.

Jbsny

I know conventional wisdom says to offer water every 3 or 4 hours and I stop every 3 hours, but it is not at all unusual for horses to not drink in a trailer for the first 5 or 6 hours. I'm not suggesting to skip the first water stop, I need it myself, I'm just saying don't be surprised or upset if they won't take water until the 5 or 6 hour mark, which could be your whole trip.
Big haulers at truck stops will confirm this, at least the ones I've met did.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-07 3:12 PM (#46169 - in reply to #45638)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks all, you are making my trip really easy. I just bought a gallon spray for my round up, but I now am converting it to a water jug (since it is white and easy to identify) for my trip!!!!  

Jbsny

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-07 5:52 PM (#46180 - in reply to #45638)

Expert

All of you with the sprayers may want to try adding a little rubbing alcohol to your water. One pint per gallon is what I use. Towed last thursday from Murfreesboro Tn. to Rocky Mount N.C. we would stop every couple of hours to offer our horse water and spray or mist her down with the H2O/Alcohol solution. She seemed to like the alcohol mist better than the drinking water. The alcohol helps with the evaporation process,......The horse cools quicker, try it on yourself sometime. We don't wet the shavings, all you are doing is making it more damp and humid. Unless you got a constant flow running down the sides and across the floor of the trailer then you may be making it worse than it was before you wet it. You got to add enough water to make a difference. lower those BTU's. AND when you are parked on that hot asphalt with no air flow underneath the trailer, then it becomes an oven. Asphalt temps were at the 130-135 degree range last thursday.  When it's 101 degrees, you need something just short of a fire engine pumping through the trailer to make a significant difference. Stop, do what you got to do and get back rolling, you need air flow, mass quanities of air flow and save that ice for your cooler. You break down beside the road it may come in handy for that world champion's water bucket, in a towel, etc. or maybe your red cup! Your horse is in no better shape that the driver of the tow vehicle when you are traveling, whether it be hotter than 40 hells or frozen like a skating rink. Think!.......Common sence and safety will prevail.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-07 8:49 PM (#46191 - in reply to #45638)

Expert

Retento,
I like the idea of adding rubbing alcohol to the sprayer.
Also agree absolutely about the pick up of heat by asphalt.
I try to hide my trailer in the shadow of a big rig van trailer whenever I can. Even in the winter time there can be a significant temperature rise in a stopped trailer, then you get going again at 60+ and you've got horses that were cold, then warm, then chilled again - not good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)