'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer ramp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-13 1:35 PM
18 replies, 4699 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

klthechiro
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 12:52 PM (#37916)
Subject: Trailer ramp

Regular

Has anyone have experience with trailer ramps?  The trailer I am getting has either a 1/2 ramp (4' on 8 ' wide trailer) or full ramp.  Any problems you have experience loading or unloading the horse with a 4' ramp with 4' door opening on a slant load.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
danielle
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 1:21 PM (#37918 - in reply to #37916)
Subject: RE: Trailer ramp

My cousin had one back of the ramp and drop on the side - she always backed out of the trailer fast.  She got cut, the vet came, a lot of $$ to stitch her up, but then she ended up dying from a reaction to the drugs. 

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-27 1:47 PM (#37919 - in reply to #37916)

Expert

Thats not a fair example- I know of lots of folks with ramps and they like them. No problems with injuires. I don't have a ramp and don't really want one either. Its a matter of what you prefer. Don't get hung up on the horror stories- I hear tell of horses slipping under the trailer yet thats never happened to me. So if you want a ramp- fine. if you don't-fine. In either case, there is always a chance something can happen but they rarely do.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 2:49 PM (#37921 - in reply to #37916)

Elite Veteran

Both my trailers have had ramps and I prefer it basically as I'm used to it & like it for the further protection if the back doors came open for some horrible reason while driving down the road.  But it isn't spring loaded and can get heavy. 

One of the best reasons is, in the rear tack, I had the  saddle racks put up pretty high so I could store stuff underneath. It's no problem to reach the saddle on the top rack.   Friends of mine, that don't have ramps, have to put something to step on and it was really tough getting my saddle down.

I borrowed a horse this weekend and while unloading, noticed how he kinda backed out on his tiptoes, and acted scared of the whole process.  When his feet hit the ramp, he seemed to relax.  Backing out can be very stressful for them and I think the ramp can give them a better sense of security than hitting just air.  However, I have trailered my horses in step downs and they all did fine.  Some people will have very strong opinions, but what matters is what you want.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 2:56 PM (#37924 - in reply to #37916)

Expert

That's funny I had a ramp put on my last trailer beacuse I had a horse that would come out the trailer so fast that when her foot dropped down she would throw her head up in the air and hit her head on the top of the door opening. I had a ramp installed and ordered it 7'6'' tall, just Sold it a month ago. I bought another trailer this one is 7' tall and no ramp, because I don't have the mare anymore, she was the best roping horse I ever sat on, but I don't rope that much anymore. I think people buy trailers to suit there needs at the time. If we lived in the perfect world none of us would have the truck or trailer we currently have. JMO
klthechiro
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 4:34 PM (#37927 - in reply to #37916)

Regular

Thank you for all the input.
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-02-28 7:23 AM (#37958 - in reply to #37916)

Regular

I had a 1st trailer with no ramp and bought another trailer with ramp.  Currently have only the trailer with ramp and have had for a number of years.  I am considering a new trailer because I need more room in the front and one definite option is ramp over full length rear doors.  Added security for possible horse kicks and if anyone ever hits you from the rear.  Also all the horses I have hauled seem to load and unload easier with NO CHANCE of slipping under back of trailer.  Ramp also helps me on uneven ground and because I am short makes getting into the trailer easier on me.  Horses can walk out forward or back out(versatility is key).  I LOVE MINE as you can probaly tell and wouldnt have nothing else.  Also makes it easier if you haul things besides horses. 
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-28 10:25 AM (#37971 - in reply to #37958)

Elite Veteran

As said before, it is a personal preference. Depending on the horse, I think a horse has an equal chance of slipping a leg under a trailer with no ramp and slipping off the ramp and getting hurt that way. Either way it could be costly. I prefer a trailer with no ramp. They can get heavy. Also for me, it is just another thing to maintain and repair if need be. My horses will load and unload a trailer with or without a ramp (as it should be). As for a saddle on the top rack, that's where hubby's saddle goes, so I don't use it. If I need to (maybe twice in 3 years) get to the top rack, I undo the pins on the rear tack wall and step in the trailer to get the saddle. I can even do this with a horse in the rear stall. My rear tack wall is very easy to do, so it's no big deal for me.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-28 3:16 PM (#37981 - in reply to #37916)

Elite Veteran

Goodpoint, Downsouth.  I used my trailer for several loads of boxes when I moved.  It was so easy to load 3-4 boxes on the dolly, roll into the trailer and stack in the horse area. Everything stayed dry and secure inside the trailer.  When I got to my house I just wheeled the dolly down, put a board up on the step from the garage into the house and wheeled the stuff in.  

By the way, I have a full-size ramp and it's inside the two rear doors.

Edited by Dunoir 2006-03-01 7:28 AM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-28 3:45 PM (#37983 - in reply to #37916)

Expert

I keep wondering about the "chance of slipping under the trailer" theme. Personally, I have seen more horses fall off the side of a ramp than slip under a trailer. Not that those "falls" resulted in injuries. But golly, there is a chance a horse can step off the side of a ramp- why would you even chance it? There is chance of the ramp falling off the back resulting in the doors flying open on the road, why would you even chance it? Ramps can be handy and they can be a pain. Ditto a step up. So forget those horror stories or musing of horrific things that can happen. Just get what you think you'd most enjoy and benefit from.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-28 6:13 PM (#37997 - in reply to #37916)

Expert

I agree, I have read about more horses getting killed, thier legs broken, hung from the dividers, legs caught under the rear doors of trailers, horses surviving roll overs in trailers, I'm beginning to wonder who I'm talking to on here. If theese people have this much bad luck with the horses they have I don't know about them.

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-28 7:18 PM (#37999 - in reply to #37997)

Extreme Veteran

Took one off a Sundowner I had they are in the way to me. I'm with you farmbabe I have never even had one almost slip but most of mine are stepping out onto dirt not pavement. The reason they are in the way to me is that I never tie a horse to the side of the trailer. I always have one or two horses and I put the butt bar up and saddle both horses there. If they stay there a while they don't get into trouble and don't paw the fender. I guess every one to their own preference. One thing for sure is people either love them or hate them.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-28 9:55 PM (#38013 - in reply to #37999)

Extreme Veteran

I have a step-up and haven't had any problems with my own horse, but my friend's horse is hard to load and his hind leg did slip quite far under the trailer... He kind of hurried toward the trailer, then held up at the last moment and slipped on the wet grass. I help my breath for a moment but he pulled it right back out from under there. It could have easily led to a broken leg. I was parked on a bit of a hill (facing downhill) so I turned the trailer around, and he had to load on the uphill. I didn't want the added factor of facing downhill plus wet grass. For the most part I like the step-up, but would like a 3' ramp over my one big door, simply to prevent an incident like that one. My heart literally stopped for a moment. I have also seen horses slip and go down unloading with a ramp, a nice quality ramp with lots of traction. So, there is no fail-safe way to get every horse in and out every time, in my opinion.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-01 10:47 AM (#38024 - in reply to #37916)

Elite Veteran

Your original questions was to a 4' wide ramp. IMO, if I had to have a ramp, it would be the full width. It would give the horses more room to load and unload. But if you are always going to be loading perfect horses, then I guess a 4' wide one would be ok. 4' really isn't all that wide.
halfpass
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-03-10 10:26 AM (#38597 - in reply to #37916)

A lot can depend on the rear bumper height. There can be quite a difference from brand to brand, madel to model. I know some with the really larger tires hit me just below the knees! It seem like quite a step for a smaller horse. I'd get a ramp with one of those. I'd be concerned with the backing out more than stepping up.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-03-11 2:27 PM (#38658 - in reply to #37916)

Expert

I'm in a wheelchair, next trailer we buy will have a ramp of some configuration at every doorway. LQ, mid-tack, across the rear and anywhere there's a doorway.
J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-11 6:21 PM (#38675 - in reply to #37916)

I have my first trailer with a ramp and why didn't I do this years ago, thinking I got it for the animals no I got it for myself, everything is so much easier from putting the saddle on the top rack to loading the generator or even packing hay in no more step ups.
If you have a animal that flies out backwards out of a trailer if you do this they won't do it any more you may have trouble unloading them the first couple times but back your trailer up to the edge of the lake it works better at the deep part as close as you can get let them go flying out backwards the animal won't get hurt unles they drown. Or have some one there with a buggy whip just a whipping when they start backwards they most of the time go back in away from the pain.
Most of our problems with animals is man made unless the animal is just plain stupid.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-12 6:08 PM (#38716 - in reply to #38675)

Expert

I think the plusses of ramps generally outweight the minusses.
I've never used a 1/2 wide ramp and my reaction is "Gee, I'd be extra careful with THAT setup".
I think I'd try teaching the horses to back up it and into the trailer first, just to get them acclimated. It might take some time, but once they're really familiar with it (my) fear of a horse trying to turn around on a 4ft wide ramp would probably fade.
{edit}
I just remembered, the side ramps on my center load trailer are only 5ft wide and although there is never a need for a horse to back down them, they just about always come out on a diagonal. So maybe 4ft isn't as narrow as I was thinking. Oh Ohh, I'm being nudged to say that horses need to be trained to back out STRAIGHT, not try to turn around or even look over their shoulder to see where they're going - something about TRUST the handler at the horse's head. {end edit}
Yeah, OK - I said that.
(-:

Edited by Reg 2006-03-12 6:16 PM
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-03-13 1:35 PM (#38746 - in reply to #37916)

Veteran

I camp in some rough areas and sometimes wish I had a ramp, its a long way down when your parked in tall grass in uneven areas. Seems thay never do get used to that first step out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)