'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Using living quarters in winter, how early in spring?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-12 3:25 PM
18 replies, 9157 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

palo
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-09 9:27 PM (#36847)
Subject: Using living quarters in winter, how early in spring?

I have always been a summer time cowboy & never had a real living quarters till now.  However I have shows coming up & would love to use it.  I wonder should I leave it winterized?  Or could I just take water, & use the john if I empty the tank when I get home?  Any horror stories about them freezing up. 

This has been a great website, I have gathered lots of info.  I actually bought it last year & used the site a lot, it is an Exiss Event with a Sierria interior.  My only advice is what someone told me about a boat, you always want 2 ft more, no matter how much you have.

My only problem with the trailer is the gauge & pump my husband that winterized it said he had problems with the pump & gauge, however it is all drained and I can't really explain it since it's always worked fine.  He tells me I need to get it fixed before I take off now how do I explain this to a serviceman until Spring.  Please let it get warm soon.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-10 6:59 AM (#36862 - in reply to #36847)
Subject: RE: Using living quarters in winter, how early in spring?

Expert

Hey I'm curious also.Do trailers get built with WINTER packages? I'd like to use one year round and in freezing weather yet haviing RUNNING water and hot showers etc.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-10 7:05 AM (#36864 - in reply to #36847)

Expert

Can you leave it plugged in when not in use so that you can use a good ceramic heater to keep the inside of the LQ warm?  If you do this, just leave the cabinet doors that contain any pipes open.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-10 7:55 AM (#36868 - in reply to #36864)

Extreme Veteran

I use mine all year round have been to Emminence in Dec. for aweek long ride.. If I know I'm going to be using it soon I put the ceramic heater in so it doesn't get below about 50. If its going to be a month or so I just rewinterize it doesn't take 10 minutes and maybe 2 gallons of antifreeze. If you are camping don't let your holding tanks get full and keepthe heat on will your are out riding or showing. Shouldn't have a problem but I'm not in Minnesota either and don't plan to go there this time of year.
kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-02-10 9:20 AM (#36879 - in reply to #36868)

We just keep ours plugged in all winter, and a ceramic heater on low, with cabinet doors open. Granted, it only gets into the 20s a few nights here and there- like tonight- but we also get warm weekends and I don't want to fool with flushing the AF out. I also leave the porch light on so I can tell at a glance if the breaker tripped or whatever, and the power's not running to the trailer.

If my trailer was parked at the barn, out of sight, or I lived where it really IS cold- etc- I think you'll have to go the route of adding/flushing the AF and go on with life. It's pretty cheap and not hard to do, just a PITA.  

Syncho
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-02-10 9:39 AM (#36884 - in reply to #36847)

Regular

I'm not as far north as you either but we and many others use ours full time. If you have a package that is easy to winterize it becomes even easier. I will de winterize at home and fill the tanks up w/ water right before I'm ready to leave or not depending on if their will be a water hook up and leave a gallon of antifreeze in each holding tank and go. I leave the propane heat and water heat on all the time and drain everything as soon as I get home and put the antifreeze back in the lines. So far I haven't had any problems. Of course my lq is super easy to winterize, basically I pull out the lil hose that was installed by Bunkhouse and put it in the antifreeze, flip a valve, turn off water to the water heater, turn on the water pump and all facets and use around two gallons to fill my lines.

If you don't get home in time to winterize your lq make sure to plug it in and leave the propane on until you do. I'm not a fan of space heaters being unattented anywhere, I've seen too many houses and house trailers burned. Also always empty the holding tanks asap and throw in some anti freeze afterwards because there will almost always be a little water left in there, dumping may suffice but it's not worth the risk to me.

Also many conversion companies do make winter packages but that usually just means better insulation from what I've seen.
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-10 10:23 AM (#36893 - in reply to #36847)
Subject: RE: Bison Trailer

Veteran

I, too, am thinking about camping this month in northern AR where the temps may go below freezing over night.

Our fresh water tank is under the couch in the slideout, so I am thnking of just pulling in the slideout at night when the furnace is on.

Putting antifreeze in the holding tanks sounds like a good idea.

I have seen advertised heaters for the dump tanks. They look like a soft pack of heating cables that glue onto the outside of the tanks. Not sure how the glue would maintain over ther winter.

j&j
palo
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-10 8:46 PM (#36923 - in reply to #36847)

Thanks for all the interesting information, it seems lots of people have questions like mine. Keep the information coming, I have until the end of Feb & Jackson, MS in March, then I plan on staying inside until it's warm. If I can use the john & keep my dog & I warm I'm happy. I know that many people must use them in the winter & they can't all be from the south. But that sure sounds like a good idea.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-11 5:30 AM (#36933 - in reply to #36847)

Elite Veteran

I wonder how those tank heaters work to.. They have them in RV catalogs.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-11 3:52 PM (#36961 - in reply to #36933)

Extreme Veteran

I have never used the heaters on my LQ horse trailer but I did have 5th wheel travel trailer that I lived in while we built our house and I used the heaters on it. There were times I couldn't dump when I wanted to but I never had any lines damaged or had to replace anthing. Wouldn't you know it that was the coldest and windiest winter we had in TN. in about 10 yrs.
mgisse
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 1:58 PM (#37102 - in reply to #36847)

if you are in a area that dosent have hard freezes (below freezing for more than 8 hours at a time ) draining all the water out of the system is usually fine for temporary storage (a week or two).

If it gets colder for any longer get a blow out plug (a adaptor that screws on to the city water inlet) and using air blow out as much water as you can get out. Rv stores and a lot of walmart stores carry them.

If you are staying in the trailer in really cold weather disconnect the city water ,leave the cabnit doors open a little and try to keep your holding tanks drained if possable. If you cant drain the tanks dump about a cup of salt down the drains to slow the freezing .

If you are pulling your trailer in cold weather and your tank are not covered drain them. I replace a lot of holding tanks because no one concered how cold the tanks get when you are going down the hwy. at 75 mph.

Holding tank heaters work good if they are placed properly and the right size for the tank. You also have to use a heat tape on the abs pipes that are between the tank and the valve. Just dont for get to turn them off if you are dry camping.

I replumb about 4 trailers a year. Some times it is a fitting that need replaced, but usually I end up replacing most or all the water lines. one was a new rv that cost the owner over $3000.00 to repair. So if you think if might freeze the safest thing to is winterize.   

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 7:12 PM (#37133 - in reply to #36847)

Expert

How do you stay in freezing weather with no power but battery to run pump for shower etc.or you don't? I want to use a living qtrs for several days at a time in very primative conditions with a forced air furnace and just enough power for hot shower etc.
J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-17 8:08 PM (#37413 - in reply to #36847)

The coldest that we have camped is about 10 I used to use car antifreeze in the toilet holding tank until I was told that it was hard on the holding tank, now I just dump rv antifreeze in it I have never busted a tank but have had the handle freeze to where it wouldn't dump.
Inside the trailer we use a ceramic ventles heater it doesn't need elec. and run this going down the road also, we never have any trouble with the fresh water holding tank under the couch.
We do pull the plug on the hot water heater so it won't freeze with the pilot lite off. This way we can stop on the road and ust the bathroom and step into a warm trailer. As long as the heat is on with a tip out you don't need to pull the tip out in of a night, if you are worried about it just open the door close by so heat can get into it.
roadranger
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-18 11:41 AM (#37432 - in reply to #37133)

hounddog- just get yourself a Honda EU2000 generator, and plug the trailer into it for 4-6 hours a day. It'll keep you trailer battery up while running the furnace. The hot water heater is usually propane.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-02-18 1:44 PM (#37442 - in reply to #36847)

Veteran

We just returned from a weekend trip in Alto New Mexico (up around the Ruidoso area) it got down to 9 degrees at night, what we do is run a Mr Buddy heater at night (It lasts 6-7 hours on low on a 1 pound propane tank and keeps the trailer in the high sixtys) during the day we turn on the propane heater to 50 while were gone, the only trouble we had was a little slush in the bathroom sink the next morning, but I have insulated those pipes again, Keep the grey tank open and let the water out as you use it, as it will surely freeze, I have a cap with a garnen hose plug on the grey tank that I let the water out, that way if the valve freezes open (which it will) there is no problem, dump a gallon or 2 of RV Antifreeze down your black tank. Thats what we do and we camp all year long. If you are going to winter camp in a LQ horse trailer, you should insulate the pipes if you can get to them, we use the foam tubing that slips over the pipe and secure it with cable ties. Most LQ horse trailers do not have what they call artic packages on them like RV's do, so a little pre planning will save you alot of grief. I am heading for Missouri next week to the Ozark Trail, will let you know if I freeze or not. I hear tell its cold in them thar hills
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-18 5:29 PM (#37449 - in reply to #36847)

Expert

Are the EU2000 QUIET! Boy I hate the noise of those things.I could care about lights but I do want a forced air furnace and a HOT shower out in nowhere. 

Edited by hounddog 2006-02-18 5:32 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-19 12:01 PM (#37497 - in reply to #36847)

Expert

The Honda EU series  (EU 1000, EU 2000, and EU 3000) Are all inverter type generators. ( so is the Yamaha EF 2400is) The run at about 53-54 decibles.  Much quiter than normal generators that run at 65-70 decibles.  They also provide a CLEANER electrical signal that works better for computers and other high tech electronics.

They of course are two to three times more money that the average generator.

I have the Yamaha EF2400 and I turn it on for maybe an hour in the evening, to use my microwave to cooks dinner, heat the hot water in my trailer and charge the batteries.

bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-12 3:18 PM (#38710 - in reply to #36862)

Veteran

As an Endurance Rider, we go all over all of the time.  North Rim of the Grand Canyon in October, it was 12 degrees overnight.  Yes, had heat and hot running water for a shower every day.  I now have rigged 2 batteries.  Heater fan works much longer now.  Most of the riders have some form of LQ without a problem.  I would think that if you drained the water while stored at home it wouldn't be a problem.  Winterizing to me would be when NOT IN USE.   I have used my camper 6 times since that Grand Canyon Trip this year.  I just leave it.

bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-12 3:25 PM (#38711 - in reply to #37133)

Veteran

Two deep cycle batteries and a small generator to run while I am taking a shower and to re-charge for all night heater.  And I set the thermostat to about 55 at night.  I only have a truck camper, but I do this A LOT.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)