'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
AAnyone know of where we could camp and ride in Bryce Canyon?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-02-14 6:19 PM
18 replies, 10253 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2011-02-03 7:14 PM (#129755)
Subject: AAnyone know of where we could camp and ride in Bryce Canyon?

Regular

We are the one's trying to plan the trip to the Grand Canyon, North Rim, we thought we would leave there and ride in Bryce Canyon a little on our way back, but I'm having difficulty finding something on the website.  What I read seemed like no camping, directs you to Red Canyon, but that's in New Mexico from what I can tell.  See I am really confused.  If you know of a camping area, primitie is fine, that is accessible to the trails in Bryce Canyon.we appreciate the info. 

Thank you

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2011-02-05 4:25 PM (#129823 - in reply to #129755)
Subject: RE: AAnyone know of where we could camp and ride in Bryce Canyon?

Regular

If no one from Utah replies, try calling Best Western Ruby's Inn & Campground, just outside Bryce Canyon. If you can't camp there with horses, they may know of a place where you can. Just another thought, have you looked into doing the Red Rock Ride (redrockride.com) I have not, but folks that have, have raved about it. About 6 days of riding in Utah; the last day, I believe, is the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-05 4:57 PM (#129825 - in reply to #129755)

Expert

I'll be happy to talk to you about it.  PM me.

Red Canyon is the canyon the hiway from Panguitch to Bryce follows up.  there are several trail heads that depart from Red Canyon. But most of the camp grounds in the canyon don't allow horses.

Several Suggestions.

Ruby's Inn just outside the gate of Byce has horse corrals.  You can put your horse in their horse motel for $10 a night. We usually leave the horses there and get room, at least for some members of our group who don't want to rough it.  Ruby's inn also has an RV park.  Leave your horses in the corrals by the rodeo grounds and camp with hook ups for your trailer in the RV park.

Corrals at Ruby's Inn

the other choice is to primative camp over near Castro Canyon.  There is NO Camping allowed in Castro or Lossee canyons, But you can primative camp with horses just outside the mouth of the canyons.

Bryce Canyon itselt only has 1 trail for you to ride. Depending on how fast you ride, It's a half day to all day trail ride. So if you are in the area, You will want to ride some of the other trails that are not in the Park.

Castro and Lossee canyons both have good horse trails. They are 20 miles from Bryce, so access is easy.  From Red Canyon you can ride up to Thunder Mountain Which is also a great trail. We usually ride in Bryce for the morning, Got eat Soup and Pie at Twin Pines Cafe  and then ride Thunder Mountain in the afternoon.   ( btw, anybody want to venture where Disney got the name for their Thunder Mountain roller coaster ride)

Me on Thunder Mountain

Usually when we are in the area, We also ride in the Grand Staircase Escalante. This is lower elevation than Bryce, So if it's cold up and Bryce, drop down into the Grand Staircase.  Most of this area is accessed south of Cannondale.

Willis canyon and Sheep Creek is a great ride down a narrow canyon

Also Capital Reef is not far away and has excellent Riding.

We spend a lot of time up in the san rafael swell.  ( I-70 splits the swell in half) Byrce has a million european tourist a year come through. They are fascinated by american cowboys. If you look the part your photo will appear on more coffee tables in Europe than your wife has photos of you at home. Going over to the Swell we get away from the tourist. Fewer rules about camping, almost no people, so you have the place to yourself.

It really gets narrow in places

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-02-05 8:36 PM (#129828 - in reply to #129755)

Expert

looks like a fine place to ride a nice mule!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-05 9:27 PM (#129831 - in reply to #129755)

Expert

Lot of people like to ride mules in this kind of country. But we prefer our horses.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-07 9:16 AM (#129864 - in reply to #129755)

Expert

One more point.

They will not allow you to bring your horses into Bryce Canyon with out current Coggins and health papers.  You will have to show them at the main gate when you enter the park.  Also the park usually likes to see your trailer cleaned out.  Meaning any old manure swept out of the trailer. Since you are supposed to feed certified weed free hay for 3days  prior to traveling onto public land. ( which there is no way they can enforce) They figure any road apples dropped along the trail will not contain weed seeds, But the livestock may track in seeds from manure on the hooves from what was in the trailer

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2011-02-07 10:15 AM (#129866 - in reply to #129755)

Regular

Painted Horse thank you so much for the info and pictures.  Just looks beautiful. We were going to the Grand Canyon first, then were going up to Bryce, but the G Canyon is a pain, so have scratched that idea.  (We were riding our own mules down on N Rim) But too much trouble for just a 2 hour trip down and 2 hr up.  They said u could not go to bottom anymore.  Anyway.  Bryce was part of that trip.  Grand Canyon was on my husbands bucket list, but looks like he's gonna have to take it off.  If we decide to do Bryce anyway, I may pm you.  Thank you so much for all your help.  

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-07 11:49 AM (#129874 - in reply to #129755)

Expert

here are a couple of websites from that area of the state.  The websites are geared to you hiring them and their horses for the rides. But the trails they list are public and anybody can ride. So the trail descripition will give you some ideas of trails around Bryce

http://www.brycecanyonhorseback.com/horserides-bryce-canyon.html

http://www.horserides.net/

There also is a good day ride in Zions National Park.  You enter the park at the Kolob Canyon Visitors center off I-15 .  There is a 7 mile long trail to Kolob arch ( you have to tie up and hike the last 1/2 mile) or you can continue across the hops valley for an additional 7 miles, Making it a 14 miles one ride.  It is an extremely long drive around to have somebody shuttle your trailer, So most folks ride across and back for a 28 mile day ride. It's not terrible tough terrain, but it can get hot during the summer months. There is horse water at LaVerkin Creek about 4 miles into the ride. This trail goes from the Lees Trailhead to the Hops Valley Trailhead.. The road that accesses the Hops Valley trail head is steep and winding, Wouldn't reccomend it for really large LQ trailers.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=531514

The Trail in Zions doesn't take you down into any narrow canyons, Most just along sheer walls.

Capital Reef National Park is close by and also has some great trails to explore.

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/capitol_reef/horseback-riding.htm

I also like to get up high during the summer heat. areas like the Aquarius Plateau and Boulder Mountains are close to Bryce and are 10,000 elevations and are beautiful to ride across and explore. Easy rides where you are not on the side of cliffs.

Hope that gets you started.  There is more riding in that area than you could possible do in a summer.

CutAbove
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-02-08 9:56 AM (#129919 - in reply to #129755)

You can also camp and ride in the mountains north of highway 12. The roads are good and there are places you can pull off the road and camp, then ride and explore up the various canyons. Good water for your horses.

I'll second Painted Horse on the beauties of the San Rafael Swell area. I've ridden mostly north of I-15, but I'm anxious to explore more of that area. It's good stuff.

Painted Horse, thanks for one more great post with beautiful pictures. The only trouble is now I need a ride, and it's only Tuesday.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-09 9:56 AM (#129972 - in reply to #129755)

Expert

So when you say North, Are you talking about up in John's Valley? Or are you talking more about the dirt road that heads up to Mud Springs and Pat Willis Draw? I've never explored that very much. May have to drive there and see whats in that area. I suspect you could also find some camping areas to the west over by Tropic Reservoir and Long Hollow.

There are some great rides south of I-70 in the Swell. 

Camp at Lost Springs and ride up Old Woman Canyon across the back of the reef and down Earnie Canyon.  There is often horse water at Lost springs

Camp at Buckskin Springs and ride up Chute Canyon, across the back of the reef and come down Wild Horse Wash

Camp just off the off ramp at Justensen Flats and ride down to the Old Copper Globe mine and over to the Window. But you will have to haul all your water in here.

Justensen Flats

Copper Globe

Camp near one of the Stock ponds near Sinbads Head or Swayze's Cabin and ride down Eagle Canyon

Swayze Cabin

CutAbove
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-02-09 10:54 AM (#129978 - in reply to #129972)

We camped in West Hunt a little below Clarence Creek, a little north and east of Mud Springs and Pat Willis Draw. I didn't get over into John's Valley. We were hunting elk so there was a lot of cross country riding, up and down, not necessarily on marked trails.

I've been on the copper globe mine road once. We didn't make it to the mine. We got distracted by some wild horses we decided to follow for a while. I'd like to get down there again. We also had a good ride out on McKay Flat.

Probably my favorite San Rafael ride is the horse thief trail. I have some friends who have ridden down off of there to where the airstrip and from there out to the San Rafael campground. I haven't done that. We just ride to the top and have lunch looking down on the river then ride back.This past fall we went started out in the bottom and rode out to the airstrip.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-11 5:17 PM (#130148 - in reply to #129755)

Expert

Wild Mustangs on McKay Flat

Next time you ride out to Copper Globe, Continue on down to the "Window" This gap in the reef looks out over Red Canyon.  It's thousands of feet of drop below the window. Impressive view.

I think the absolute best ride in the North Swell is up McCarty canyon across the narrow neck of land and down Mesquite canyon.

It's not an easy trail to find. but it is well worth the trip.

This trail gives you an impressive view of Saddlehorse canyon

CutAbove
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-02-11 5:24 PM (#130150 - in reply to #129755)

I might have to figure out a way to tag along with you sometime. When you go down, do you usually do an overnighter or just a down and back? Are you in northern Utah? If so I'm guessing you spend at least one night down there.

We almost always do a down and back, leaving early and getting back late. I've camped down there once, and would like to do more of it. That's one of the biggest reasons I'm seriously looking at a trailer with a nice big dressing room. I don't think I need a living quarters, just something that I can sleep in without the hassle of setting up a tent, where I know that my gear and I can stay warm and dry.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-02-11 9:41 PM (#130158 - in reply to #129755)

Breath taking photographs. Thanks.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-12 12:17 AM (#130165 - in reply to #130150)

Expert

We do a lot of Friday-Saturday trips,  Often leave after work on Thursday.

I live between SLC and Ogden,  So down and back in the same day, Makes for a really long day.

McCarty canyon is tough to get a big trailer into.  So we usually load up smaller trailer and stay at Gilleys in Feron the night before.

It just depends who is going and what kinda rigs every body has

arrestado
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2011-02-13 5:13 PM (#130207 - in reply to #129755)

I used Paintedhorses directions to Red Canyon 2 summers ago. Perfect directions (GPS coordinates too). This was our camp. It was awesome.IMG_3169
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-14 12:03 PM (#130256 - in reply to #130207)

Expert

Was that over by the mouth of Castro Canyon?  I can't remember where I sent you.

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-02-14 2:16 PM (#130266 - in reply to #129755)

Veteran

Jealous, jealous, jealous.  What beautiful riding!
arrestado
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2011-02-14 6:19 PM (#130275 - in reply to #129755)

Painted horse, yes by Castro. It was awesome riding and great directions! I'd love to meet up sometime for one of your rides too!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)