'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Getting really close ...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-25 11:05 AM
18 replies, 8315 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-08 8:45 PM (#74054)
Subject: Getting really close ...

Regular

... to ordering my new trailer. I got some really good advice here last summer when I was vigorously trailer shopping. Then my mare was diagnosed with ethmoid hematomas and the whole trailer purchase deal had to be tabled for awhile. Months of stress and many thousands of dollars later my mare is doing well and I am back on track with my trailer purchase.

Based on recommendations from both local and online friends I settled upon 4-Star as a brand and got another recommendation for a great 4-Star dealer. I have quote, purchase order, and drawing in hand; now it's final decision time. Not surprisingly, costs have gone up some since my quotes from last summer. Freight I can do nothing about but I can remove some options if my husband chokes on this quote. (I haven't shown it to him yet, but he was OK with the summer quotes and while I'm complaining about increases the current quote really is in the same ballpark.)

I thought perhaps you all could help me a bit with some yeas and nays on the options I've chosen. I'm sure everyone has discovered 'extras' that weren't worth the $ as well as others you now couldn't live without. I'd be curious to know where my options fit in. FYI, the trailer will primarily be hauling long, tall, (but not particularly wide) Thoroughbreds. We haul out for some variety in trails, for lessons, and for horsemanship clinics. Most of the hauling is within an hour or two of home. We may well have some longer jaunts in our future but we don't show or compete.

Trailer shopping is not really my favorite thing so I'm basing my decisions on the notion that I will keep this trailer a long time. I'm loading it up a bit more than I would if I were planning on "trading up" a few years down the road, and while I am keeping resale value in mind (hence the collapsible rear tack) it's not a primary concern.

The base trailer is a 2008 4-Star 3H Slant GN, total length 18 ft.

The options I am currently adding:

+ Increase width of trailer to 8 ft. (but still thinking about 7'6")
+ Increase height to 7'6 ft.
+ Dropdown windows instead of bus windows on rump side and rear load door
+ Dropdown bars on all dropdown windows
+ Additional roof vents in horse stalls
+ RV style door with screen door instead of standard
+ Telescope last divider
+ Extra halogen load lights (2)
+ WERM flooring
+ Additional setting for removable saddle rack post in DR
+ Additional blanket bar
+ Clothes rod

Items that I considered but ultimately discarded as not being necessary or not worth the extra cost:

+ Fold-down step (think I'll just use a mounting block)
+ Roof insulation (I'm in central coast Calif. where it doesn't get excessively cold or excessively hot)

How am I doing here? All thoughts greatly appreciated!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-01-08 9:08 PM (#74056 - in reply to #74054)
Subject: RE: Getting really close ...

Regular

I am currently trailer shopping also (looking for a 3H with 10' sw.)

I have been told the one luxury many people swear by is the hydraulic jack.

I have been told by two dealers here in Texas that there are problems with the werm flooring staying down.  The Cimarron dealer here in Beaumont won't put it in any trailer.  Maybe it is the Texas heat and humidity, because I haven't heard of any problems with the werm floor anywhere else.  It was one of those luxury items I wanted and now I will have to think about that, also.  Good luck!

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-01-08 9:38 PM (#74060 - in reply to #74054)

Extreme Veteran

I would reconsider not adding the drop down step.  My LQ does not have one and I use the mounting block, but unfortunately, that is easy for someone to take during the night.  It's also in the way when I store it in the trailer when I am not using it.   If I had it to do over, I would order the drop down step.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-08 10:34 PM (#74062 - in reply to #74054)

Expert

A 18' long 3h doesn't have much space for a LQ.  If you are not going to build in aLQ go for the 7'6"

Absolutely go the 7'6" tall. If you ever think you'll spend a night in the Gooseneck sleeping.

Drop downs give you better ventilation. But if you don't have summer heat, save the money and do the bus windows.

Drop down windows and bars on the head side. Absolutely

One roof vent above each horse should be enough

I liked my telescoping divider on my old 3 horse.  If and when I needed to load a 4th horse, I could colaspe that divider and squeeze three horses into the space of two. allowing me to haul 4 horses in a bind. With a rear tack you loose this.  But I really liked it on my old 3 horse.

Get all the lights you can get. I use mine more for camping. I'll turn them on when I'm backing up.  Never can have too much light.

I like the Rumber flooring. No Opinion on WERM.

Saddle rack is your preference.  I never move mine

Can't get too many blanket bars

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-08 10:57 PM (#74063 - in reply to #74054)

Expert

From my way of thinking and experience... I do trail riding and camping.  For a trailer that serves long and well but first cost is a consideration get the options that are costly to add later.

extra height-sleeping in the GN area is cramped enough.  The tall bulkhead for the new tall trucks takes away from the headroom.

8' width takes away the running board but a step can be added later.  use a mounting step at first

A pass though door between the DR and horse area makes the horse area useful for extra stuff.

An escape door in the first stall becomes a mud room or pantry.

An AC unit framing & supports allows a hassle free AC install later on.

The rump drop downs make the extra vents unneeded.  My trailer has drops front and rear.  No bars on the rear drops.  They make ventilation a snap in the hottest weather.

Roof insulation is good when-ever there's sunshine.  Even in cool weather, the roof will get hot to the touch.  But insulation is easily added later.

Sundowner uses some other product beside WERM but I sure like the coated horse area for clean-up.

I never have the stink'in saddles or blankets in the DR.  I removed the rack mount from the DR.

happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-01-08 11:18 PM (#74064 - in reply to #74054)

Regular

My 4-Star is almost identical to what you are ordering, except mine is two years old. I love it!--Regarding the width, if you're doing a lot of running around town and such, I would suggest going to a 7' wide, increasing the LENGTH of your trailer, and having 4-Star make the slant stalls longer by changing the angle. My trailer is 7' wide and I don't think I'd want it any wider, as I run around town a lot for lessons and such, and an 8' wide is hard to see around. But you can get those longer stalls if you add length to your horse area and have them change the angle of the slants. I'd rather pull a little extra length than width.--My trailer has bus windows on the butt, and a drop in the rear door. That, combined with the head drops (mine have bars....a MUST) provides for excellent ventilation, as that rear drop really sucks the air in through the head drops. I live in a hot, humid area and I've never felt the need for drops on the butt, too. --Instead of the extra roof vents, why don't you have a few 12v fans installed? Mine has the standard vents (one per horse), which is fine, but if I were to add anything I'd love to have the fans in the event I was stuck on standstill traffic or needed to make a stop in town.--Load lights, YES! I have two in the rear and they are great, but I'd love to have one on each side of the trailer, too.--LOVE LOVE my WERM floor. Absolutely no problems with it, and it is the easiest flooring system I have ever used. A MUST.--I have a clothes rod and hardly ever use it. I'd opt for extra bridle hooks instead.--I have the pull out step, and it is nice, but I would survive without it.Other things I like about my trailer:--I got the anti-rack latches (like you see on semis) instead of the butterfly latches.--Low position latches on the drops. WONDERFUL! I bet these are standard but just make sure.--Stud divider on first stall. Makes it very handy to haul extra hay, buckets, etc up there when only hauling two horses.--Walk thru door between horse compartment and dressing room.--Window in long wall in dressing room. Makes the whole room more light, and extra ventilation.--Roof vent and framed for AC in dressing room.Things I don't care for:--The jack is not spring loaded. I have this super nice trailer and it doesn't even have a spring loaded jack!--Mine has that swing out blanket rack in the rear tack. At first, I thought I would use it a bunch, but I really don't, as it is just too tall for me to easily reach. I'm considering removing it and adding more bridle hooks on the door.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-08 11:38 PM (#74065 - in reply to #74060)

Veteran

Originally written by cowgirl98034 on 2008-01-08 8:38 PM

I would reconsider not adding the drop down step.  My LQ does not have one and I use the mounting block, but unfortunately, that is easy for someone to take during the night.  It's also in the way when I store it in the trailer when I am not using it.   If I had it to do over, I would order the drop down step.

I agree, the mounting blocks can also be tippy if the ground is uneven.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-09 3:17 AM (#74073 - in reply to #74054)

Expert

Get everything you think you may want on that trailer ...NOW! Don't skimp, it will only cost you more in the long run. Get the slide out-fold down step. Get the roof and walls lined and insulated. If you are not hauling corral panels on the side of the trailer, then by all means, make it 8' wide and 7' 6" tall. You may save a little $$$$ up front, but down the road you'll wish you had those bars to hang those blankets and jackets rather than dropping them on the floor in the poop and pee!!!! See what I'm getting at?! Sounds like it's going to be a nice trailer, congratulations!!

P.S.  Add you a few feet to that dressing room, you'll be glad you did.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-01-09 7:31 AM (#74077 - in reply to #74054)

Extreme Veteran

Here's my take on your choice of options...for what it's worth:

Unless you have huge horses or you're carrying a carriage or golf cart, go with a 7 ft wide.  Visibility and maneuverability are less with an 8 ft and my experience says if you are towing an 8 ft wide trailer you probably should be towing with a dually - again, just my experience, I'm sure there are others who will disagree.

Definitely go with the 7'6" height.

Skip the dropdown windows on the butt side.

Go for the dropdown bars on the head side.

Get one roof vent above each stall. 

Keep the RV door with screen.

Get all the extra lights you can.

Can't comment on the werm floor.  Mine is all aluminum with rubber mats in the horse area and I've had no issues.

Skip the saddle rack mount in the DR.  I also do not want smelly tack in my DR/LQ

Extra Blanket bar - same issue

Clothes Bar is nice to have.

Insulate everything you can before you buy, especially the roof.

Fold down step is really nice.

Also consider a pass through door between the DR and the horse area.  This is a big plus!

Collapsible rear tack is a big plus! It allows you to open the rear if needed for a horse that likes more open space to load.

Make sure to get a spare tire and mount.

Of course these are only opinions - I'm on my third trailer since having my own horses.  I currently have a 2 h GN slant load Silver Star, mostly only haul one horse, but I do camp with the horse and trailer.  Most of the things that you list as options were standard equipment on my trailer.

Good luck with your purchase.

18 feet doesn't sound very big for a three horse.  Make sure you have enough space in your DR in case you need to use it for camping/sleeping at some point.

Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-09 8:43 AM (#74081 - in reply to #74054)

Veteran

For what it's worth, here's my $.02:

+ Increase width of trailer to 8 ft. (but still thinking about 7'6"7'6" is adequate. 
+ Increase height to 7'6 ft.  Absolutely.  The extra height will be appreciated as you climb in or out of the sleeper.
+ Dropdown windows instead of bus windows on rump side and rear load door  I don't see a big need for this.
+ Dropdown bars on all dropdown windows  Absolutley.
+ Additional roof vents in horse stalls  Again, I don't see a need.
+ RV style door with screen door instead of standard  For sure.
+ Telescope last divider I'll admit, I see this as a good option, but I've yet to retract mine.
+ Extra halogen load lights (2) Can't ever have too many.
+ WERM flooring Or Rumber.  Both are great.
+ Additional setting for removable saddle rack post in DR  Ummm, your DR is gonna be tight as is.  I'd forgo this.
+ Additional blanket bar  Sure.
+ Clothes rod  Sure, we use ours

Items that I considered but ultimately discarded as not being necessary or not worth the extra cost:

+ Fold-down step (think I'll just use a mounting blockI guess so, if it's not a big add.  Mntg block works fine for me, but DO NOT lower trailer onto mntg block - don't ask.
+ Roof insulation (I'm in central coast Calif. where it doesn't get excessively cold or excessively hotInsulate, without hesitation.  Your horses will love you more. 

I'm sure they've been mentioned, but other things to consider:

Pass thru door-Escape Door-Stud wall (your fist stall will become your bucket room/bathroom/feed room/junk room once you arrive at your destination). A/C reinforcing.  Power vent in DR.  Add 2' to dr.  Wire DR for 110v.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-09 8:54 AM (#74082 - in reply to #74054)

Elite Veteran

I would invest in getting a fully insulated trailer!! Worth every pretty penny.

Last August we hauled from Wisconsin to Bakersfield. When we got to Needles, it was 115 !

My RV got a bit overheated and I had to pull over to allow the engine to cool off a bit before driving again.

I was so worried about my ponies in the trailer!

We pulled into a road side pull off area, turn the rig around so the sun would not be shining into the trailer's open dropped down windows on the driver's side. Thank goodness the pull off area was large enough to allow this.

Anywho... it was HOT! But, there was a strong wind blowing that also helped. The temp is the RV got to over 118, and every time I checked on the ponies...they were fine, in fact the trailer did not feel as hot as the inside of the RV. I know that having a fully insulated trailer helped!

BTW...it's so hot in Needles and the Barstow areas, how can folks live there? At least is was a dry heat! HAHA.
kathysrogers
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-01-09 8:59 AM (#74083 - in reply to #74054)

I would add spring back dividers, side tack door with tie ring at end of trailer, (tie your horse there, pull out your saddle and throw it on) seal the tack so that shavings and dust don't get in, full to floor divider at first stall is great for using first stall for hay etc., I don't see any reason for a removable saddle rack unless you are making the rear tack collapsible, if you go with 7 1/2' tall, lower all window latches or add the little fold down step cleats so that you can reach the latches, add a couple of feet to the dressing room just in case you ever want a small LQ, it doesn't add much cost to the trailer, I own a 4-Star, nice trailer, but in my opinion doesn't compare to the quality of the Platinum that I used to own!  Last thing, get an extra set of keys!

cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-01-09 9:46 AM (#74088 - in reply to #74054)

Regular

Here's my thoughts and I am in the central valley of CA, but have hauled alot in state and out of state. 

Increase width of trailer to 8 ft. As mentioned, this is not a LQ, so 7'6 is plenty wide
+ Increase height to 7'6 ft. Probably good for resale value or if your horses are large or if going full insulation & sleeping alot in GN
+ Dropdown windows instead of bus windows on rump side and rear load door Sliding bus windows should suffice.
+ Dropdown bars on all dropdown windows Agreed, use these & keep drop downs headside
+ Additional roof vents in horse stalls Nice for resale purposes
+ RV style door with screen door instead of standard Nice extra feature (but depends on if you will actually be sleeping in this trailer). Nice for resale
+ Telescope last divider This is handy
+ Extra halogen load lights (2) You can't have too much light
+ WERM flooring I am considering it for my trailer (after market install) add resale value
+ Additional setting for removable saddle rack post in DR (Are you going to sleep in the DR or are you going to use it for a tack room?)
+ Additional blanket bar Same as saddle post
+ Clothes rod This is always handy

+ Fold-down step (think I'll just use a mounting block) You will be sad if you don't
+ Roof insulation (I'm in central coast Calif. where it doesn't get excessively cold or excessively hot) You will get condensation inside on the coast if it is not insulated in the cooler months, much easier to insulate out of the box than to add later...again your choice. Would add resale value.

How am I doing here? All thoughts greatly appreciated!

Additionally, make sure they install battery power for your lights, this is a nice extra feature, I also like having a grounded plug in the DR which I can use for last minute clipping etc, it comes in handy.

Again, this is just my .02c!

Edited by cutter4life 2008-01-09 9:57 AM
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-09 8:29 PM (#74129 - in reply to #74054)

Regular

Wow - you all are fantastic. You're giving me exactly the input I wanted and I love how clear you've been about why you do or don't think an option is worthwhile because I can weigh your circumstances against mine. For example, I don't expect to need or want LQ in this particular trailer. If by some chance my life changes and I desperately want LQ I would sell this trailer (or opt for two trailers) and get one with LQ already installed - I'm very much not a do-it-yourselfer. I don't have the talent and my time is far better spent on other sorts of activities, LOL.

With that in mind, I'm leaning towards the 7'6" width again, although it galls me to pay the same $$$ for something less! I don't really want to give up the running board on the outside and the driving visibility when I don't need 8 ft for LQ or for my horses ... though one can never have too much space in the DR. ;) Still waffling a bit....

My DR will be a tack room, and for some indefinite period of time it will be my only tack room so I will be putting stuff in it that people who want LQ would not want in there. I may or may not love the rear tack as a tack room, and I foresee there will be times when I will want or need to collapse it so the DR is a TR.

I'm still processing all of the great info from your vast combined trailer experience. :) Thanks again!!!
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-01-10 9:47 AM (#74156 - in reply to #74054)

Regular

Not sure how much of an "add " it would be, but considering your circumstances, have you considered going with a mid tack as an add on? You could then eliminate the rear tack and have a wider opening for horses to get in (if this is a concern). This may eliminate the need for using the DR area for a tack storage.

Also, if you do end up using the DR as your tack area, I highly suggest adding bridle hooks as well as the blanket bars. You may also think about adding additional brush boxes as well. A boot box might also be good for storage and allow for easy access to the GN area for sleeping, etc. Since you may also be using the DR for tack storage, I would also suggest the step going in as you will be going in and out alot.

I went from one trailer that had a rear tack ( New Cherokee) to another that does not (Used Jamco) and only has tack storage in the DR area and I can tell you, I really missed that rear tack and if I had to do it again, I would opt for a mid tack area. I also added a step up from Coolhorse, it was welded on and folds up when not in use and it is so nice to have now that the only tack storage is in the DR area.

You will love the new 4 Star!

JAC
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-25 10:03 AM (#77883 - in reply to #74056)

New User

Can you tell me the dealer as I am about to buy a trailer with WERM floor and would like more info on any problems.

Originally written by amysbean on 2008-01-08 9:08 PM

I am currently trailer shopping also (looking for a 3H with 10' sw.)

I have been told the one luxury many people swear by is the hydraulic jack.

I have been told by two dealers here in Texas that there are problems with the werm flooring staying down.  The Cimarron dealer here in Beaumont won't put it in any trailer.  Maybe it is the Texas heat and humidity, because I haven't heard of any problems with the werm floor anywhere else.  It was one of those luxury items I wanted and now I will have to think about that, also.  Good luck!

JAC
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-25 10:15 AM (#77884 - in reply to #74054)

New User

I am also close to buying a 4-star and my dealer has said that the extra height is needed and insisits on 5200 lb axels (with heavier brakes etc.) vs the std 3200 lb.  Also looking at the WERM flooring, but want to knwo if there have been any problems.  I didn;t like the drop down windows.  Think load lights are important.  I don't want the extra width.

My 2 cents !

JAC
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-25 10:27 AM (#77889 - in reply to #74064)

New User

can you please explain what the anti rack latches are (vs the butterfly)?
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-02-25 11:05 AM (#77894 - in reply to #74054)

Extreme Veteran

I would go with the 8 foot trailer myself, especially if you have long horses. You can get big mirrors for your truck and I don't think it makes much difference in driving it. You do lose the running boards but those little drop down steps would make it easier to get to your drop down windows. If you tote a mounting block to use when you arrive at your destination, then you may not need the steps.
7'6" height is nice if you are sleeping in your trailer but mine is 7'1" and works just fine for my tall horses. Mine is a LQ, however, and since I'm very short it's not a big problem but definitely 7'6" if you get a LQ down the road.
I have stock sides on my trailer with one roof vent per horse. I live in Fl and wish I had put two roof vents in per horse.
If you get extra roof vents, then drop down windows may not be necessary on the butt side and might be cheaper in the long run. Definitely get bars with your drop downs on the head side.
I also wish I had ordered my trailer insulated. We planned to do it later but, as usual, that has not happened.
Clothes rods and blanket bars are always good additions and lots of extra hooks. They never put in enough hooks, ask for more. Also, be sure the tie rings are where you want them and that there are enough.
Good luck with your new trailer!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)