'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
First TIme hauler

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-04 7:08 AM
18 replies, 8761 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Johnny21
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-28 7:48 PM (#100369)
Subject: First TIme hauler

New User

Hi,

I am looking for advice PLEASE!  I have ridden horses for 10 years and only recently done trail riding.  I would like to get my own trailer so I could gain some independence so I can ride when and where I want. 

I have trailered our 21' boat and can back it up without much problem. 

What is important to you when you consider buying a trailer?  What would be a "minimum" in terms of interior specifications.  Rubber mats? Rubber walls?  Steel?  Aluminum?  Straight or slant?  Is there such a thing as surge brakes?  I have been somewhat reluctant to visit our local trailer company.  I don't want to sound like a total dork when I visit.

All I know at this point is that I need a 2 horse bumper pull and I don't really need the dressing room.

The trails are fairly near my home, all within 50 miles or so. 

Thanks in advance for your advice:O)

Linda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-28 10:34 PM (#100384 - in reply to #100369)
Subject: RE: First TIme hauler

Veteran

If you have pulled and backed a boat you should be fine pulling a horse trailer. Its all about the same, just slow everything down and look a little further up ahead when you drive to avoid any sudden moves. I try to keep the animals I pull as comfortable as possible. You have to keep an eye on the temp back there as well. As far as what to look for in a trailer.... thats a tough one to answer. Just depends on what you want/need. If its only a small amount of use dont spend an arm and a leg.
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-02-28 11:13 PM (#100388 - in reply to #100369)

Veteran

Welcome to the message board! If you do a search you will find several posts on most all of the questions you are asking. Slant vrs. straight load is a debate that will go on forever, in the end it really is up to what your particular horse seems to prefer.As far as steel vrs. alum. that will depend on what kind of tow vehicle you have (how much it can pull) and what your budget is. Alum. is lighter then steel, it's also quite a bit more expensive.Even if you think you don't need a dressing room I would get some kind of tack storage. I purchased a trailer thinking I wouldn't need a dressing room and always regretted it. I sold that trailer and got one w/ a small DR!You always want rubber mats on the floor (unless you spend the money to get a trailer w/ the Rumbar floors). Rubber on the walls is up to you, if your horse scrambles or is not a good traveller, the rubber walls will keep your trailer looking newer longer. Exposed metal walls get scratched up and if they are steel you will get rust where the paint is scratched off and it looks pretty tacky!A minimum size would be 7' tall interior height (in my opinion). I wouldn't touch a 6'6" tall trailer, the resale is not as good and they are just too cramped for anything but true ponies.The Brenderup trailers have surge brakes, all other horse trailers (as far as I know) have electric brakes. Unless you purchase a Brenderup you would need to have a brake controller installed in your trailer, again, search this site for posts on this topic.Good luck, this forum is a great place to LEARN. Take some time, search the previous posts and you will get a ton of great information.Plus search the trailers for sale ads, I find it helpful to look at the photos of different trailers to see how they are configured.
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-02-28 11:17 PM (#100389 - in reply to #100369)

Veteran

Oops! I hate it when the paragraphs aren't there! It's SO hard to read!

Same post w/ paragraphs this time

Welcome to Horse Trailer World!

If you do a search you will find several posts on most all of the questions you are asking.

Slant vrs. straight load is a debate that will go on forever, in the end it really is up to what your particular horse seems to prefer.

As far as steel vrs. alum. that will depend on what kind of tow vehicle you have (how much it can pull) and what your budget is. Alum. is lighter then steel, it's also quite a bit more expensive. Even if you think you don't need a dressing room I would get some kind of tack storage. I purchased a trailer thinking I wouldn't need a dressing room and always regretted it. I sold that trailer and got one w/ a small DR!

You always want rubber mats on the floor (unless you spend the money to get a trailer w/ the Rumbar floors).

Rubber on the walls is up to you, if your horse scrambles or is not a good traveller, the rubber walls will keep your trailer looking newer longer. Exposed metal walls get scratched up and if they are steel you will get rust where the paint is scratched off and it looks pretty tacky!

A minimum size would be 7' tall interior height (in my opinion). I wouldn't touch a 6'6" tall trailer, the resale is not as good and they are just too cramped for anything but true ponies.

The Brenderup trailers have surge brakes, all other horse trailers (as far as I know) have electric brakes. Unless you purchase a Brenderup you would need to have a brake controller installed in your trailer, again, search this site for posts on this topic.

Good luck, this forum is a great place to LEARN. Take some time, search the previous posts and you will get a ton of great information. Plus search the trailers for sale ads, I find it helpful to look at the photos of different trailers to see how they are configured.

Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-03-01 9:57 AM (#100399 - in reply to #100389)

Veteran

Another Oops! I meant to say you would need to have a brake controller installed in your TRUCK, NOT in your trailer!!

Deirdre

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-01 6:29 PM (#100425 - in reply to #100369)

Expert

Aluminum vs Steel is personal preference. There is not that much difference  in the actual weight.  Yes aluminum is lighter, but they use more of it to get the same strength as steel.  The real difference is steel rust and aluminum doesn't.

Get a trailer with a some sort of Dressing Room,  you will never regret having the space. It's a place to keep the saddles, horse blankets, a cooler for your treats, grain or hay pellets, grooming supplies to clean up your horse etc. You can even keep a few folding chairs to sit and enjoy the forest after a ride before heading home.

I prefer a slant load. Again personal preference. Sometimes I haul friends horses that don't know how to back out of the trailer. With a slant they can often turn around and walk out.

I personally like as much tire and axle under a trailer as I can get.  Look at what the axles are rated for and see that the proper tires have been included. Often on used trailers, people just "throw" a tire on to get the trailer sold.

Good luck and enjoy your trail rides.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-02 12:13 PM (#100466 - in reply to #100369)

Expert

You have trailer experience, just not live weight experience, you will be fine, just slow stops, slow turn, and slowly accelerate........imagine keeping a cup of water in your lap without the lid and if you don't spill it.....that horse is gettin a pleasant trailer ride!  And, as they say, keep a close watch on traffic around you.

You might do fine with a BP stock trailer, as well.  Rubber mats in whatever you get, and the brake controller added on the truck to brake the trailer.   Some of this will depend on your towing rig, and what amenities you feel you must have.  I like my 2 horse BP that closes up for quick day rides, as I also carry a porta-potti for those last minite bathroom breaks before heading out on a ride! 

Basics are, brakes, by either surge or electric, good strong floor, smooth inside for the horse not to get cut on, great tires and axles,  as far as steel or aluminum,  on a BP I don't know that you would notice the weight difference, what is noticable is the resale value and the non rust issue, but it will cost more at the onset. 

Good luck and you can do it!!

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 1:45 PM (#100475 - in reply to #100369)

Elite Veteran

Johnny21- There are at least three good dealers within 50 miles of you and I don't think any of them will think you are a total dork. The biggest question you need to answer is what you are going to be pulling the trailer with. Next thing to consider is will my needs change in the forseeable future? What kind of money do you want to spend?If you are going to pull it up the hill at Forestville you will need both power and the right rear end for what ever you are pulling. Take a look at Denny's, Arena's and Cannon Falls Trailers web sites. Also talk to your horse riding friends and they will give you good information about what might fit your specific needs.Good luck.
Johnny21
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-02 8:21 PM (#100496 - in reply to #100369)

New User

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice! 

I drive a Honda Ridgeline rated for towing 5000#.  It is a V6, not a V8.  Does that mean I will have trouble pulling up the hills at Forestville?  The other truck I rode in when trailering was a v8 and he just put it in low gear and went slow.  I'm guessing that from the size of my truck, I should look more for aluminum trailers that for the steel. 

I mentioned that I didn't think I wanted a Dressing room only because of the extra weight and I figured weight would be a concern.  I can put the tack and "junk" in the back of the truck.  It has a topper too. 

I don't plan on doing any overnight trail rides at this point.  My goal is just to have the independence to go to the Douglas Trail or to Forestville when I want for the day.

I seriously am considering a small stock trailer.  That was actually my first thought but my other horsey friends thought I'd be happier with the "horse" trailers.  My friends are pretty much dressage/english riders.  I would love to have them go with me.  

This may sound weird, but are there any problem with stock trailers?  I mean, can you trailer a horse in Minnesota in January,if you need to, in a stock trailer? Not that I would but I did have to trailer my horse to Stillwater to see an opthomologist in January and the fellow I hired had a stock trailer.  He's done it before so I trusted his judgement.  Have any of you ever trailered in the cold?  Would a stock trailer still be okay for that? 

Anyway, that's enough for now. Thanks again for all the advice from all over!!!

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-02 8:38 PM (#100498 - in reply to #100369)

Veteran

If you can BU and pull a boat a horse or 2 is easy. I haven't seen it mentioned but boat trailers have serge brakes trailers have electric or electric hydro brakes, so braking is much better, and control is better. As for a Ridgeline I am sure it will work, but the hot running diesels will blow past you with 4+ head onboard. I only know this is I run out west and we run pretty fast 75-80+ and was back with the wifes family who is near you and people move quite a bit slower and there are no real hills, I know I run to fast.

The other thing I put on all our trucks even the little ones is Airbags, (look up Ride-Rite, Pac-Brake etc... ) just makes the rearend work alot better, for occasional towing I would just get the pump up at home or the gas station air line install. Under 200.00 done deal and makes a world of difference.

As for Steel or AL, Steel rusts MN=Rust

You will do fine

Troy

Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 8:59 PM (#100500 - in reply to #100496)

Veteran

Well, I don't know what other folks will say but I wouldn't advise hauling anything other than a Brenderup with a 6-cyl. engine!

It will be interesting to see what kind of responses you get. 30 yeas ago when I got into horses and showing/trailering, one of the first things I was taught is that you need a minimum of an 8-cyl. truck to haul a horse trailer, but maybe things have changed since then!

Deirdre

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 10:29 PM (#100508 - in reply to #100496)

Expert

Originally written by Johnny21 on 2009-03-02 9:21 PM  

This may sound weird, but are there any problem with stock trailers?  I mean, can you trailer a horse in Minnesota in January, if you need to, in a stock trailer? .  Have any of you ever trailered in the cold?  Would a stock trailer still be okay for that? 

We had a 3 H BP steel stock combo that only weighed 3400# and pulled it with an Expedition. It had three slant load stalls, and the entire or parts of the interior could be removed for an open floor.

We trailered in every kind of weather. We closed in the slats with Lexan, blanketed the horses and were good to go. With no freezing wind striking the horses, they were as comfortable as within any other uninsulated trailer.

Stock trailers are very versatile and can be outfitted any way that you want with front and rear tacks, and a front dressing area. The one piece rear doors are wonderful. Almost any horse will load in a 7' x 7' open, well lighted space. I wish one of our "standard" trailers had such a rear door. Stock/combo trailers are excellent horse trailers and can serve you well.

Your problem is the lack of horse power and your limited towing capacity. Those issues will drastically limit your selection of suitable trailers, and the number of horses you can haul.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-03-02 10:34 PM
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 10:42 PM (#100511 - in reply to #100369)

Elite Veteran

Johnny- I have many friends who use nothing but a stock trailer. I even end up using theirs in the winter because mikne is put away in a shed and can't get to it because of the snow.I would like to think that a 12 or 14 foot stock trailer probably won't weigh much different than an older two horse straight load as far as total weight, but it will be tongue weight that will have to concern yourself with. If you can, borrow a trailer or check into 'test driving" one to see how your truck does.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-03 7:40 AM (#100530 - in reply to #100369)

Extreme Veteran

We purchased a used all aluminum 16 ft stock BP this past summer and have loved it.  I has a dressing room; rubber mats on floors and lined walls.  We don't haul in extreme cold weather, but if we did lexan panels can be added in the side slats for keeping the wind off of the animals.  I have never had any problem with a horse (or cow) loading in this trailer.  It has no dividers and the is open; which the horses seem to prefer. Very versatile trailers.  You can haul anything in them.  Even if you think you don't need a tack room get it anyway.  Great for storage and a good resale point.  You may not see yourself over-nighting right now, but that tack room would allow you to carry plenty of camping gear if you ever decided to get more involved in trail riding or camping with your horse. 

Personally, I would think if you can tow and back a boat you should be fine.  Just drive carefully.  I learned to haul with a gooseneck and pulling and backing a BP has taken some getting used to.  There are lots of folks on this forum who can help you with your tow vehicle questions.  I think you will find new freedom and a love of trail riding if you start traveling to different places.  Good luck with your search.

Edited by tom-tom 2009-03-03 7:41 AM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-03-03 5:35 PM (#100571 - in reply to #100496)

Expert

Originally written by Johnny21 on 2009-03-02 9:21 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice! 

I drive a Honda Ridgeline rated for towing 5000#.  It is a V6, not a V8.  Does that mean I will have trouble pulling up the hills at Forestville?  The other truck I rode in when trailering was a v8 and he just put it in low gear and went slow.  I'm guessing that from the size of my truck, I should look more for aluminum trailers that for the steel. 

I mentioned that I didn't think I wanted a Dressing room only because of the extra weight and I figured weight would be a concern.  I can put the tack and "junk" in the back of the truck.  It has a topper too. 

I don't plan on doing any overnight trail rides at this point.  My goal is just to have the independence to go to the Douglas Trail or to Forestville when I want for the day.

I seriously am considering a small stock trailer.  That was actually my first thought but my other horsey friends thought I'd be happier with the "horse" trailers.  My friends are pretty much dressage/english riders.  I would love to have them go with me.  

This may sound weird, but are there any problem with stock trailers?  I mean, can you trailer a horse in Minnesota in January,if you need to, in a stock trailer? Not that I would but I did have to trailer my horse to Stillwater to see an opthomologist in January and the fellow I hired had a stock trailer.  He's done it before so I trusted his judgement.  Have any of you ever trailered in the cold?  Would a stock trailer still be okay for that? 

Anyway, that's enough for now. Thanks again for all the advice from all over!!!

Remember Honda recommends....Premium unleaded fuel recommended when towing....http://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline/towing.aspx

Edited by PaulChristenson 2009-03-03 5:36 PM
Johnny21
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-03 9:16 PM (#100584 - in reply to #100369)

New User

Thanks again for all the great ideas.  I didn't know about the premium gas required for towing...oops.  We will remedy that right away!! 

Now, what about ramps versus step ups?  Seems like a luxury for a horse to have a ramp.  But does it add weight as well?

And another question.  Do any of you ever go out by yourself for a ride?  I have taken my horse out along the county roads alone and he was fine.  Cars and truck passed us and he was fine.  But there were no pheasants flying out in front of us or anything that might spook him.  He is definately not a spooky horse so I am inclined to ride him alone mostly because I can go anytime I want.

Most of my horsey friends work during the day.  I am blessed that my job is flexible so I like to ride during the day which would mean solo rides.  Just wondering what you experienced trail riders recommend.

Thanks again.  You are all amazing!

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-03-03 9:35 PM (#100585 - in reply to #100584)

Expert

if you do ride by yourself you should tell somebody were you are going and what time you would be back, that way if anything happens to you somebody know were to start look for you, a cell phone is good to have also
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-03-03 10:59 PM (#100589 - in reply to #100369)

Expert

Keep the cell phone on you!! Not in a saddle bag.  That way if you  get thrown (and your kids abandon you to chase the horse!) you can call for help.  A phone doesn't do much good if it disapears with the horse.

Oh, I would suggest the dressing room.  Lots of room for "things".

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-04 7:08 AM (#100599 - in reply to #100369)

Extreme Veteran

I don't ride by myself often, but I have.  I do carry a cell phone on me; not in the saddle bag.  My young horse went back to camp without me once.  His saddle bag was ringing when my husband tried to call and check on me.  I use one of the arm cell phone holders now.  I used a belt clip for a while, but recently stepped off of my horse and the clip caught on my saddle and the phone was lost in a creek bed.  I think pepper spray is also a great thing to carry if you ride alone or in deep woods.  I purchased mine from an army supply store.  I haven't had to use it, but it's nice to have just in case.

I have never had a ramp on a small trailer, but have owned two LQ trailers with ramps and loved them.  My older gelding with arthritis really enjoys the ramp over our step-up BP. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)