'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail riding/camping in Colorado?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-02-04 9:24 AM
17 replies, 11777 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Stier
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-18 8:37 AM (#129002)
Subject: Trail riding/camping in Colorado?

Any suggestions on where to trail ride and camp in the northern or central part of Colorado? We live in southeastern MN and are looking for something that's around a 12 hour drive and also a place to stop midway to spend the night. For accomodations we would need corrals, showers, hook-ups, water for the horses and a place that allows dogs. A variety of on and off trail riding, scenic and hopefully full of wildlife. The less commercialized the better, we prefer to hang out at camp when we're not riding. 

Thank you & happy trails to you..

Jane

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-01-18 9:30 AM (#129005 - in reply to #129002)
Subject: RE: Trail riding/camping in Colorado?

Expert

I don't have any suggestions. But let me educate you just a little.

Most of the west is different from riding in the east. In that we are often on Public Land.  Forest Service, BLM, State Trust Lands etc. So you don't have private horse camps that are designed for horses. And Forest Service and BLM campsites, when you do find them, Most the time you don't get the hook ups.

Almost 100% of my camping is with self contained camping.  We choose camp site where horse water is available. And feel lucky if there is any people water. 

Here in Utah, groups like Back Country Horseman have gone in to popular trail head campgrounds and built corrals. The Forest Service still collects the $10 per night for the camp site. But you have a corral nearby.  Usually horse water is a river or lake that is near by. These camp grounds usually have a Bivy or outhouse, a flat spot to park, and picnic table.

This is a back country horseman corral

In other areas, Ranchers have grazing permits on public land. The ranchers under permit from the governing agencies, have built holding and sorting pens. These are corrals, where the ranchers will load and unload their livestock, sort and work the cattle.  These pens are often empty and the people do use them for their camps. But the Ranchers get first rights. If you are using them and the rancher pushes a group of cows in, Your horse need to be removed. Some of these corrals, can be very large complexs of corrals capable of holding 300+ cows, others will be simple 20 foot round pens.

I know that several of the camps built by the Forest Service for public use here in Utah, feature hitching rails to tie your horses at. BlackHawk  in northern Utah and Tasha Equestrian Campground in Central Utah  are two examples.  http://www.publiclands.org/explore/site.php?plicstate=UT&id=1362

Most of the dude ranches that back up to Public Land, Want you to ride their horses, So most are not greared for bring your own horse.

The fortunate side of this, That we have great access to lots of land to ride, I rarely pay anything for camping, Just pull off the road in a wide spot and set up camp.  Most the time, I high line or put up an electric fence.

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-18 12:12 PM (#129010 - in reply to #129005)

Veteran

Places to stop on the way, I have stayed at Hobby Horse overnight stable in Mitchell, SD it is just off Hwy 90 shower is extra over at the Flying J Truck stop. Custer Park on the Western side of SD has overnight camping spots in the park for horses, no shower but pens and pit toilets & horse water, trails right out of camp if you want to stop a day and ride some challenging spectacular trails on the way. 

Stier
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-18 12:19 PM (#129011 - in reply to #129002)

We have stayed at Hobby Horse as well for a lay over and we sure appreciated thier conveniences. Last 9 years we have gone to Custer State Park so who know's maybe we have seen you in camp or on the trail:)

Happy Trails.............

Stier
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-18 12:27 PM (#129012 - in reply to #129010)

Your photos are absolutely beautiful. Wish we had more time to make a trip such as this, hopefully down the road we can do so..I appreciate you taking the time to send me this information. It has to be just wonderful riding out there!! Feel free to send more photos and travel information:)

Happy Trails...

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-01-18 3:43 PM (#129015 - in reply to #129002)

Expert

Maybe some of this might help....

http://horseandmuletrails.com/

traxarlo
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2011-01-18 4:54 PM (#129018 - in reply to #129002)

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu159/dennis-trax/IMG_0338.jpg

Hi, First off, there is free corrals and water at Cabelas in Mitchel and Rapid City. French Creek Horse Camp in Custer has corrals, electric hook ups and showers. Also, Broken Arrow Horse Camp (a private campground) has full hook ups and corrals

Winding River Resort in Colorado National Park - Near Grand Lake has corrals, water, electric and showers.

The Picture is of French Creek Horse Camp in Custer. I live in the Black Hills and if you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask.

Dennis
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-01-18 6:55 PM (#129025 - in reply to #129002)

Extreme Veteran

From the sounds of your post, you do have a living quarters
horse trailer. Primitive camping is not as difficult as
some people make it out to be. If you can afford the trip,
then I'd image you can afford an electric generator. Add
a truck bed water tank for fresh water. And your almost
facilities camping for free. Camp at higher altitudes and
you seldom ever need AC. You generator only has to be large
enough to recharge your batteries and run minor appliances.
The smaller the generator the better. I have a 1000 watt one
that uses about a gallon of fuel every 8-10 hours. At that rate
you don't have to carry very much fuel.

The biggest item I look for when camping in the west is close by
horse water. Hauling water to horses can be a real pain, BUT
most places have water nearby. It just takes a bit of looking.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-01-19 12:53 AM (#129028 - in reply to #129002)

Expert

Realize also that most the trails in my part of the west are pack trails, So they usually are a in-out type of trail.  To make a loop would involve a very long ride or having somebody drive over to another location to retrieve you.  Most trail heads will have enough trails to offer 2-3 days of riding with out repeating any trails, if you stay longer, There are plenty of trails, but the first 5-6 miles each day will be a repeat.

Us locals just move the trailer over to the next trail head. But if you are setting up an extensive camp, you may not want to pack up and reset up after moving 25-30 miles to gain access to the next drainage.

Also a lot of our areas are wilderness. Meaning that the trails are primative. Nobody is picking rocks up to make sure the trails are smooth. The rangers do usually keep the dead falls cut back. But the rocks can be a challenge to folks not used to them.

I met some folks out from Minn a couple of years ago. I ran into them on top of the mountain. They told me where they were camped and asked directions for the shortest return trail. I told them to follow me since i was heading in that direction. After 5-6 miles I had to cut off to return to my camp. I told them to just keep following the trail for another 2 miles and they would come to their camp.  They said, "We've been following a trail?"  I had to give them a quick lesson on forest service markers, since the trail was not well used and would fade in and out and they had not noticed the rock cairns and other markers.

Stier
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-19 7:29 AM (#129031 - in reply to #129018)

I have been checking Winding River out this past week and it looks interesting as it has the facilities we are looking for. We have camped at French Creek the past 9 years and we love it. We couldn't get in this year, they are booked full the days that we take vacation. Don't want to head north of CSP due to Sturgis week, have you ever heard of or been to Country Charms? It looks like a nice place.

Thanks again.

Stier
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-19 7:33 AM (#129032 - in reply to #129025)

Yes we have living qtrs and when it's just my husband and I we primitive camp but will have other parties traveling with us. We do have a water tank and generator  Looking so forward to spring and riding:)

Thank you...

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-01-19 9:59 PM (#129051 - in reply to #129002)

Extreme Veteran

Take a look at Double Cabin in Wy. From MN, I don't believe it would be as far as CO. The riding out of Double Cabin is awesome. There are 3 sets of corrals and plenty of water close for the horses. Easy in and out.

http://www.publiclands.org/explore/site.php?id=1553

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Double%20Cabin/#!cpZ...
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-19 10:40 PM (#129052 - in reply to #129051)

Regular

Originally written by bbsmfg3 on 2011-01-19 10:59 PM

Take a look at Double Cabin in Wy. From MN, I don't believe it would be as far as CO. The riding out of Double Cabin is awesome. There are 3 sets of corrals and plenty of water close for the horses. Easy in and out.http://www.publiclands.org/explore/site.php?id=1553http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Double%20Cabin/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16
I looked at the pictures, I want to go on that vacation. That is all I have to say.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-01-20 6:52 PM (#129085 - in reply to #129052)

Extreme Veteran

I looked at the pictures, I want to go on that vacation. That is all I have to say.

We go every year. The first 3 weeks of July, Your welcome to come along.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-21 12:01 PM (#129119 - in reply to #129002)

Regular

Sure would be nice and thanks for the invite. Maybe someday. I was curious about the small cabin pictures, were those private or someplace you could pack in to and stay?
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-01-21 6:50 PM (#129132 - in reply to #129002)

Extreme Veteran

The cabins belong to the ranchers that graze their cattle in
these mountains. Ranchers can rent areas for grazing from
the Forest Service. The cabin in our pictures is only accessible by horse
back. The grovers pack their supplies in via mule train. This one is really
neat. It has running water from a mountain spring that they drove
a pipe into and put a corral around the spring to keep unwanteds out.
It has a fence around the cabin so they can graze the lawn with their
horses. Behind the cabin there's a corral that's about 5 to 7 acres.

And the view from the front porch is more than great.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2011-01-21 6:53 PM
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-22 10:47 AM (#129143 - in reply to #129002)

Regular

That's pretty sweet, sounds like my kind of vacation getaway. Too bad it's not open for use. Thanks for the explanation.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-02-04 9:24 AM (#129773 - in reply to #129143)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Bleve on 2011-01-22 10:47 AM

That's pretty sweet, sounds like my kind of vacation getaway. Too bad it's not open for use. Thanks for the explanation.

There are Forest Service cabins available for rent in a lot places.
Not sure how you go about finding them. We've met folks that
were renting them and riding out from the cabins. I'd start by
calling the Forest Service in the, area of interest, and asking
them about cabins.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2011-02-04 9:27 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread