'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dutch Oven Cooking Help.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-04 12:44 PM
17 replies, 6140 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

docbar 20
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-11-02 8:59 PM (#94107)
Subject: Dutch Oven Cooking Help.

Going to give it a try for the first timr.What basic cookware do I need to see if this is what i want to do and where would you suggest to buy.Also need the process for cooking bisquits in dutch oven.I think I can use my own recipe.Tks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-11-03 5:51 AM (#94122 - in reply to #94107)
Subject: RE: Dutch Oven Cooking Help.

Elite Veteran

You  can get cast iron cookware from any outdoor type store like Gander Mnt. , Cabellos, even Walmart carries them...

http://southernfood.about.com/od/recipes_southern/a/aa092100.htm

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-03 11:13 AM (#94141 - in reply to #94107)

Elite Veteran

don't forget to season your cookware before using it the first time.. This can be done with shortening or cooking oil..wiping the insides of your cookware down and placing it in a low temp (I think @ 250) oven for a short while.. The cookware itself should have instructions with it.. I have an old cast iron griddle that makes the best biscuits and pancakes..Good luck!! 
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-11-03 11:22 AM (#94144 - in reply to #94107)

Elite Veteran

cooking with cast iron is great!! If you are new to it..get the book "Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies" It will help you alot! It tells you how to season, clean, and care for cast iron. Sometimes, you can find cast iron cheap at garage sales... Wagner and many of the old brands are the best. I got several great pieces and a couple of dutch ovens at Bass Pro shop.. they have some that is pre-seasoned...
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-11-03 11:37 AM (#94145 - in reply to #94107)

Extreme Veteran

You can cook anything in cast iron over a fire that you could cook in your home. One major consideration is the quality of the cookware. The cheap chinese and taiwan cookware looks attractive at first, but they are so porous that they won't hold water! Make sure you buy good stuff. Wagoner and Lodge are the ones I prefer. You can go online to Lodge. They offer a wide range of cookware and utensils. A long pair of metal tongs makes handling the coals easy. Make sure you buy camp style dutch ovens. They have flat lids with a rim that will hold coals and three short legs to stand over coals. A small fireplace shovel is also helpful. A lid lifter is nice but not essential, as is a pair of welding gloves.
To cook bisquits, preheat your dutch oven just as you would your oven at home. When you are ready to cook, place a few coals under the dutch, place the lid on, and use roughly twice the number of coals on top of the lid. If using briquetts, I use about 7 or 8 briquetts under a twelve inch oven. Use more or less depending on the size of your oven. About halfway through the baking process, lift the oven and turn it about a quarter turn. Do the same with the lid. it should take 15 to 20 minutes to have hot, golden brown bisquits!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-11-04 8:25 PM (#94274 - in reply to #94107)

Expert

If there are any flea markets in your area you can check there too.  There's usually a few pots and pans floating around there.
docbar 20
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-11-05 5:19 PM (#94337 - in reply to #94107)

Appreciate everyones help.Keep it coming.I went to Academy Sports and got a Legend 10 in dutch oven with the little legs ,lid lifter and a long pair of tongs.We are going to J D campgrounds in Ok the 22 thru the 26 of November so i will give it a try..
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-11-05 9:24 PM (#94354 - in reply to #94337)

Veteran

We use a dutch oven a lot when camping. Almost always biscuits in the mornings. Cinnamon rolls are easy also. Either the canned ones or you can make homemade. YOu can make a great pinapple upside down cake that won't go to waste. You can cook roasts with potato and carrots etc.

For heat you can use coals from a fire or use charcoal. We usually always have a fire when camping so thats easy. The type of wood really does make a difference. You need wood that will keep a good hot coal. Something like Oak, Hickory, locust is good thats what we have here in the east. Charcoal can work also, you can use the matchlight stuff or the normal. One tool you cant be without if you use a real wood fire is a small shovel with an extended handle for scooping your coals out from your fire and situating them under and on the top of your oven. The shovel I use is a small sheet metal type used to clean ashes out of a wood stove. YOu can cut a wood broom handle or get a dowel to use for an extended handle. I installed a hardware hook inthe the other end of my wood handle and you can use that to lift your oven and the lid. You should be able to find the shovel at a good old fashoned type hardware store. For the charcoal, use a small set of tongs like you would use turning steaks on a grill. YOu can pick up individual coals and place them were you need them. If you have a fire going, you can preheat your oven top and bottom over the fire. Sit your pan over the fire and take you lid and set over the fire. The smoke/heat wont hurt the bottom of your lid. While your mixing up you dough, let it preheat. Then put our dough in and put the lid on then place a small amount of coals around the bottom of the oven and heap a good pile on the top. Remove the lid using your hook to check them every so often. One common mistake novices usually put too many coals on the bottom and burn their biscuits the first couple times. You'll learn fast what is about right by trial by fire..ha. For Pinapple upside down cake, melt a stick of butter, cover the bottom of the pan with brown sugar, line the bottom with pinapple rings, add a cherry in the center of each one if you like, then pour in a yellow cake batter. Let it bake until a knife comes out clean from the center. Your need quite a bit of heat around the bottom sides for this recipe and on the top. Dont burn your top (bottom of cake). If your pan is well seasoned, your can remove your lid and set a metal plate on the bottom of your oven, using mitts, invert the oven pan and the cake will end up on your metal plate looking perfect. Serve with some ice cream if you have a freezer and you can invite over some new friends that will then be friends for life. Cheers.
D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-11-06 4:49 PM (#94413 - in reply to #94107)

Regular

Here's a link with tons of recipes and hints  http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/DutchOven.asp. As for biscuits, use an inverted pie pan to get them off the bottom of the oven. After about 2/3 of the cooking time has elapsed, take the oven off the bottom coals so the biscuit bottoms don't burn. I have been cooking in a DO for a long time now and learned lessons the hard way. Don't forget to rotate the oven and lid so you don't get hot spots.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-06 8:19 PM (#94424 - in reply to #94107)

Extreme Veteran

Right on!  Great topic.  My favorite Cast is from http://www.lodgemfg.com/ check out the pre seasoned cast iron. 

Boy it takes out the worry of properly seasoning your new cast Iron. 

This guy has a pretty cool site too.  http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

I noticed the other day that Walmart is carrying the pre seasoned Lodge cast.  Very cool stuff.

Happy Trails

docbar 20
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-11-08 4:37 AM (#94499 - in reply to #94107)

You guys are great.I did buy a lodge 10 and 12 to give it a try on our Thanksgiving ride at JD trails in Ok.You guys have a great holiday.Tks
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-08 11:03 AM (#94513 - in reply to #94107)

Extreme Veteran

Does anyone know of an actual cookbook that has really good camp recipes for Dutch Oven cooking?  I saw the links posted earlier, but would like an actual book to keep in the trailer that had lots of recipes and really good directions.  Thanks.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-08 2:04 PM (#94525 - in reply to #94107)

Elite Veteran

try looking at cabela's online.. they might have something.. also check out the cookware's website.. If someone makes their living selling cast iron cookware, it stands to reason that they'd want to promote it by publishing a cookbook.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-11-08 5:25 PM (#94535 - in reply to #94107)

Extreme Veteran

"Over the Open Fire" written by Pamela Alford with Johnny Nix.
dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-11 9:24 PM (#94729 - in reply to #94525)

DUTCH OVEN COOKING 101 Not sure of author. Also great website: http://www.koa.com/recipes/campfirecooking.htmLots of good recipes and easy, too!Deb (MedicineHatGirl)
docbar 20
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-11-27 4:37 AM (#95420 - in reply to #94107)

would like to tk all of ya'll for your help.THE COOKING WENT GREAT and had a great ride at J D campgrounds in OK.Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 7:11 PM (#95636 - in reply to #94107)

Extreme Veteran

Great I am getting hungry again! 

I have been driving the wife nutz with all my Dutch oven ideas for next spring.

docbar 20
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-12-04 12:44 PM (#95732 - in reply to #94107)

Me also.I have Santa a pretty nice size list of things needed.HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)