'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1st Cherokee arrives in South Africa - YIPPEEE

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-14 12:18 PM
17 replies, 5903 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-11 11:44 AM (#87283)
Subject: 1st Cherokee arrives in South Africa - YIPPEEE

Veteran

Hello all

Well today has got to be the highlite of my life. I purchased a new 4H Cherokee Tomahawk 56"SW from Tobruk Trailers in TN about 2 Months ago and had them ship it to me here in South Africa. Well today was the day that it finally arrived. I have been going through hell waiting for it - you need to understand that we do not have anything like these trailers here in SA - mostly 2H BP's (plain and simple) This on the other hand is like a Rolls Royce compared to a moped.

I was up early this morning and was at the Port at 5.30 am to see the ship arrive ... I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. My first glimse of my new trailer sent goosbumps over my entire body....

I am now the proud owner of an all American Horse Trailer.... I must compliment Cherokee on their quality - it is most certainly out of the top draw....Dave McAdoo from Tobruk Trailers went the extra mile and then some to make this happen, so he deserves a Huge thanks as well....

I will post some Pics of our first trip with the trailer in two weeks time - for now we have got to build the weekender LQ and fitt the B&W hitch and change the electrics to suit our standard - so I am going to be busy for the next couple of days.

You guys really know how to do things.....

Cheers for now

Nick

Sunny South Africa

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-07-11 11:51 AM (#87285 - in reply to #87283)
Subject: RE: 1st Cherokee arrives in South Africa - YIPPEEE

Extreme Veteran

Good for you.  I sure hope you enjoy your Cherokee as much as I have mine. 

Ride On!

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-07-11 11:54 AM (#87286 - in reply to #87285)

Elite Veteran

This is interesting.  Not many posts from South Africa.  Pictures would be welcome.  What will you use to pull it?  Do they not make trailers in South Africa?  What kind of cars do they drive there? 

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-11 11:54 AM (#87287 - in reply to #87285)

Veteran

Hello Lesliemal

You can bet on it - I cant wait to hook her up and hit the road. I actually think my horses are going to get some attitude - just cos' they got the best ride out....

Still smiling

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-11 12:10 PM (#87289 - in reply to #87283)

Veteran

Hi Dave

Here in SA most of the trailers are 2H BP's made out of steel, and some clad with a type of plastic (simalar to a water tank) (see pic attached)The biggest problem I think is that we do not have many trucks - as you guys call them... most of our tow vehicles are much smaller than yours, they are 1 tonne but much smaller than your average tow vehicle - thus most people just opt for the smaller trailers, that are not exciting at all.

I actually tried to have a trailer manufactured her in SA to my specifications, but did not find a manufacturer that was keen enough and it would have cost me more - and I would not have been able to buy something that you guys have tried and tested... This trailer sure shows that it is user friendly and years of experience have gone into its design.

I have a F250 Super Duty double cab(one of only about 120 or so in SA - Right Hand Drive) - it is fitted with a MWM 4,2L turbo diesel motor so pulling my new trailer will be just fine.

Mayby I am lucky and I will start a new trend here in SA - I have had lots of interest from people that have heard about me importing this trailer, and now that I know how it is done - hopefully it will continue.... I will post some pics of our 1st trip, which will be to the SA Polocrosse Club Champs, where about 800 horses are played - so the Cherokee will be showcased

Cheers for now

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-11 12:12 PM (#87290 - in reply to #87283)

Veteran

OOps so I forgot to attach the pic of our most common trailer her in SA... and this is my F250
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-11 2:41 PM (#87304 - in reply to #87283)

Expert

It is obvious that you are exstatic, congratulations!  You and your horses will enjoy the ride!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-07-11 2:56 PM (#87307 - in reply to #87283)

Expert

Nick gets his new Cherokee in South Africa and on the same day, Dave  http://www.tobrukfarm.com/  has an Exiss stolen off his farm. Celebrate a sucessful around the world delivery, for it all to be ruined by some P.O.S that has stolen a trailer off your lot, that will most likely be chopped up and sold for scrap...... It may be against the law to shoot someone for stealing something like this, but I don't believe that it's wrong to blast them!!

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-11 5:03 PM (#87318 - in reply to #87289)

Expert

Originally written by Barfly on 2008-07-11 11:10 AM

I will post some pics of our 1st trip, which will be to the SA Polocrosse Club Champs, where about 800 horses are played - so the Cherokee will be showcased

Barfly

I was discussing polo with a friend yesterday.  He said that the polo pony is changed out after a "chukka" (?)  Is that why you have a need for a four horse trailer?...Four chukka and four ponies to a match? or may the ponies be merely rotated in & out?

Thanks for any enlightenment..

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-07-11 9:01 PM (#87321 - in reply to #87283)

Regular

Sounds so exciting for you.  I am glad you are happy with your purchase.  I can't imagine what it was like waiting for it.  Worse than Christmas for a kid!  My husband has sold several cars outside of the States.  He sold an old Camaro to a guy in London.  The guy has continued to keep in touch with him and calls just to chat from time to time.  He has gotten him to buy parts for it when he has needed them.  He said his brother in law hounded him as soon as he got it to sell it to him, so he finally did.  Now, he's got my husband on the look out for another for him.  He just loves American cars, especially Camaros and Trans Ams and you just don't find them over there.  With the weak dollar, he can buy in the US and ship over there way cheaper than trying to buy one in Europe.  Can't imagine the gas cost to drive one of those beasts over there!

My husband and I have been wanting to make a trip to South Africa.  We had one planned for the late Spring of '07, then my horse had to have surgery, so I decided I couldn't afford the trip.  We still hope to make it in the not too distant future.

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-07-11 11:14 PM (#87331 - in reply to #87283)

Veteran

This is a really interesting thread, congratulations on the new trailer.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of the trailer hooked to your truck!  :)
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-07-11 11:29 PM (#87332 - in reply to #87331)

Expert

do not be surprised if everybody wants you to drive them some place to  ride have fun
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-12 1:12 AM (#87336 - in reply to #87318)

Veteran

Hi hosspuller

I play Polocrosse which is similar to polo...we use a stick with a net on the end and actually pick the ball up and throw it. 3 people on a team and the field is also a lot smaller than a polo field. We are only allowed to use 1 horse (thus the name  - "King of the one horse sport" ) whereas polo you change horses (ponies as they are know) between chukkas (games). We have a 6min chukka and then rest for 8min - x3 for a full game.

It is much more physical and action packed than polo and you need to pace yourself so that your horse is still strong at the end of your last chukka....

My top horse's name is Barfly (hence my forum name) and he is super fit, he is 9 now and is at his peak... he loves the game and knows exactly what to do and when. It is so amaizing that one can become so at one with a horse - al lot of the commands are mere thoughts and he reacts instantly.... great horse and my best friend...

The reason why I needed a 4H is that my daughter also plays, and we often travel quite far to attend tournaments then we take 2 each, just in case - you do not want to pull for 400miles and then have to sit out if something goes wrong with your horse (as is so often the case

Its a wonderfull game - and now I have a wonderfull trailer to get there....

Thanks America

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-07-12 11:25 AM (#87345 - in reply to #87336)

Elite Veteran

Let us know what you're paying in fuel over there.

As for foreign markets, everything is changing.  Know what the most prestigious car is in China now?  A black Buick.  In fact, last year, for the first time, Buick sold more cars in China than in the U.S.  Ted Koppel did a special about the auto industry in China and it was on the Discovery channel last night.  THAT's where the oil demand is coming from.  The govt. is subsidizing gas prices to keep it lower than ours, in hopes it will spark an automotive revolution in China, and raise the economic bar for everyone.  (They've watched us for the past 75 years.)

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-12 11:37 AM (#87347 - in reply to #87336)

Expert

Barfly ... Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know there was such a sport as Polocrosse.  I did learn its origins are a combination of polo and lacrosse. Ergo... "polocrosse"

Good Luck to you and your daughter in the tournaments.

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-14 1:29 AM (#87419 - in reply to #87345)

Veteran

Hi DaveM

I did the math on a previous thread a few weeks ago and we pay a bit more for fuel over here than what you guys are paying, but it is much of a muchness. Some of our economists are saying that the fuel price at the end of this year is going to be double what it was at the begining. We are currently paying around 2US$ a litre for diesel (and 2,5US$ for low sulphure diesel).... My F250 with the MWM engine gives me around 7,8km/L (19miles/Gal)normal driving and drops to around 5,5Km/L (13miles/Gal) when towing - so it is quite economical, if you consider I am towing 4 horses...

My mottow in life is - "1 LIFE - LIVE IT" so every chance I get to do something with my daughter - I do it. they grow up so quickly and they are only with us parents for such a short time... must make the best of it... it is costly but all I do is sacrafice some of my other comforts.... I also do a bit of horse transporting for people who need difficult horses moved, and this subsadizes my sport.

I have been chosen to be on the Springbok team (Polocrosse) to play a test against Zimbabwe and Zambia so will be taking a long trip at the end of August (about 1800km - 1 way) so my new box will be well and truelly tested after that.

Great chatting with you.

Nick

P.s. I used my trailer for the 1st time on Sunday - just took 3 horses around the corner for a PX practice... I think everyone was more interested in the trailer than practicing. But the trailer worked a treat.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-07-14 8:13 AM (#87426 - in reply to #87283)

Hey Barfly, Congrats on your new purchase! I played PX a little on my reining mule, Miss Cody. It was a blast! But, I had an advantage over the other newbies since most of the horses were scared of the mule when she pinned her ears. After we tired and started to watch, the game got downright brutal with the body checks. We were playing in PA right out of Harrisburg. These folks were getting ready to go to the championships in TX that year.They were good, had played all over the globe and were very passionate about the sport. We moved from the DC area not long afterwards and I have not had a chance to play again, but I still have my ball and net. I was at a Clinton Anderson clinic in Memphis, TN last month and saw several teenage girls walking around the vendors with well worn nets in hand so there must be some PX action in that area. It is a hoot to watch and fun to play. Some of my friends found that their team penning horses were perfect mounts for PX.  
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-07-14 12:18 PM (#87437 - in reply to #87426)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for some very interesting posts and we'll look forward to seeing your pictures of the Cherokee in South Africa and elsewhere.  Would love to have you "chronicle" your polo travels with pics right here in this forum. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)