'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hard Lab or Camp in Georgia

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-05 12:27 PM
17 replies, 5635 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-19 2:27 PM (#84233)
Subject: Hard Lab or Camp in Georgia

Veteran

Folks around Georgia, S.C. and N.C...anyone been to Hard Labor State Park Horse Campground?? Heard many good things about the riding, but need to know if LQ's (10' SW, 3-H slant) can get in and out of the sites easily there.Pulling with a 350 dually, so you know about how much turning radius I DON"T have!! Sounds like a wonderful place and not too terribly far from my farm in S.C. Park is outside of Rutledge, Georgia.

Edited by galsgottaride 2008-05-19 2:33 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-19 10:21 PM (#84275 - in reply to #84233)
Subject: RE: Hard Lab or Camp in Georgia

Expert

I've been there many times (12 years ago, we lived west of Atlanta)  They have several pull through camping spots.  The only issue I remember is crossing the railway tracks in Rutledge.  It had a pretty high hump then.

I 'd suggest you call the ranger station there for reservations and to check on the pull throughs.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-05-20 7:13 AM (#84302 - in reply to #84233)

Elite Veteran

Ditto on hosspuller's reply. I've only been once and we had a BP when we went so it wasn't an issue.  But 2 friends with big LQ rigs had issues with the railroad tracks and certain campsites.  The riding is quite nice, nice barn (bring shavings).

The town of Rutledge is very cute. There's a nice breakfast place in town, can't miss it as the town is very small.  You're also close to the Atlanta Olympic cross country grounds and I've heard it's a nice scenic day ride for some variety.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-20 7:18 AM (#84303 - in reply to #84233)

We have been there several times also. Nice riding around the lake. It can be pretty muddy in places. We were always there in Feb or Mar since it was a stop on the way back to MD from FL. As far as the camp goes. My trailer was 33' on the box. The RR tracks were not an issue for me as my trailer was air ride and pumped all the way up. Nevertheless, I took it slow and had a freind get out and watch for clearance. There is a turn that was tough because the road cut back at an angle and started downhill. There again, my spotter was watching. The camp was nice with level concrete pads. You can not tie your horses in camp, they have to stay in the barn area, even for saddling. All in all, we enjoyed it and keep going back. In fact, I sure wish it was closer to AR!

Edited by brushycreekranch 2008-05-20 9:26 AM
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-05-20 7:39 AM (#84307 - in reply to #84233)

Extreme Veteran

There are a couple of ways to avoid the "hump" crossing.  I have heard of several people getting stuck on the crossing because the trailer bottoms out. The trails at Hard Labor are great.  I have never camped there so I am not sure about the camp sites. Watson Mill state park  in Comer (NE) is another good place in GA to camp with horses.  The trails are not as scenic as Hard Labor but the camp sites are good and the barns are nice. The trails are well maintained. Primitive camping is allowed at AH Stephens state Park in Crawfordville.   Each site has water but no electric. Not as much riding as available at HLC or Watson. If you decide to go to HLC, I will be happy to tell you alternative routes to avoid the "Hump". 

brightemiller
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-05-20 8:43 AM (#84316 - in reply to #84233)

It is close to me and I love going. They did a lot of work on the creek crossings and made them easy to access. The trails are nice and scenic. The campsite can accomodate a large rig. My friend has one that is max DOT length which i think is 47 or 48 feet and he pulls with a hauler and he got in and out just fine. Be sure to make reservations because they only have 8 or 10 sites. When the sites are gone, there are cabins you can rent and still stall your horses. Cabins have 2 bedrooms with 2 double beds in each one and rent for $80 a night. Share them with friends and it's really cheap!The stalls are nice and they even had a bath house with hot showers if you dont have LQ. The RR crossing hump can be a challenge but we have never had trouble with it. The road into the park is narrow and curvy but again, we navigated it just fine. It is a heck of a lot easier than the Jones creek 'cottonwood patch' outside of Dahlonega! Go, you will like it!
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-20 7:06 PM (#84352 - in reply to #84307)

Veteran

Thanks! I have heard about the tracks....please give me the route to take so I can keep my plumbing!!! I have a Bison and it's kinda low...I've seen lower, but those railroad type up and over things can be a problem.
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-20 7:10 PM (#84353 - in reply to #84316)

Veteran

Thank you, everyone for your input. I want to explore some Georgia ( I live in S.C.) riding and camping., so all the really good places you can steer me to will be appreciated!
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 7:41 AM (#84379 - in reply to #84233)

Elite Veteran

I haven't been to them, but friends have and liked them - FDR Roosevelt State Park, Watson Mills (already mentioned), and Willis Knob.  I assume you've been to Broxton Bridge & Lakeview Plantation in SC.
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-22 8:02 PM (#84508 - in reply to #84379)

Veteran

Yes, I have been to Lakeview...just this past late March for five days...Had a great time..weather was perfect. However, being from Charleston, S.C and Lakeview and Broxton Bridge about 70 miles from there...in the LowCountry..you might not be as happy in the warm months...humid, bugs, etc.(But you could ride early and late, I guess).Visited Broxton (about 15 miles from Lakeview) and it seemed nice..alot like Lakeview. When we were at L-view, Tom Seay did his favorite riding places thing....Tons of people there and a really good time.
brightemiller
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-05-28 2:45 PM (#84822 - in reply to #84233)

Of course, Hard Labor is nice and very pretty anytime of year.
My other favorite in GA is up around the Clayton area. Willis Knob and Whetstone are the two horse camps that share the same trails. That is my very favorite place to ride. The mountains are a big challeng compared to Baxton Bridge and Lakeview but so worth it! WK is in Ga and Whetstone is SC. There is an easy river crossing at the top and bottom of the area open to horses. Adline and Earls fords. I highly recommend visiting and if it is only you and your rig, book Whetstone because you can get a site at a time. WK reguries you book more than one site (except #9) but they have electricity. We go every July and love it. It's cool in the mountains and awesome riding!
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-06-11 12:58 PM (#85535 - in reply to #84233)

Extreme Veteran

You shouldn't have any trouble getting in and out of the horse camp sites at Hard Labor Creek. very nice drive thru camp sites w/ water and elec. hook ups, picnic table, etc at each one. Last year was the first time I'd been - several of us met there in July and had fun camping and riding. trails were fairly easy. I don't like that you have to keep the horses in stalls and can't have them at your trailer but we parked close to the horse barn so it really wasn't that much of a problem. I was the only one w/ out AC in my trailer and it was very confortable, even in July. we're all planning on meeting again there next month so hopefully the weather will be just as nice. bugs weren't bad either, altho I'm sure they can be- we got lucky!
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-06-11 8:53 PM (#85551 - in reply to #84233)

Extreme Veteran

In order to avoid the railroad "HUMP" crossing in Rutledge:

Coming from SC on I-20, you go past the exit with the HLC park/Rutledge sign and take the exit for 278/Covington, take a right at the end of the exit ramp, go for a ways (not sure about mileage) take a left on E. Hightower Trl, (it is a hard left at an angle but the road is extra wide)  go about 3 or 4 miles then take a right on Knox Chapel Rd.   The office for HLC is off of Knox Chapel Rd. (you will pass the golf pro shop)  You will take a left off Knox Chapel and the HLC office will be on your right.  They will direct you to the stable/campsite/trail head. 

Or if you take the exit with the HLC sign, when you get to 278 then turn left and go the E Hightower Trl and turn right.  Then follow the above directions.

Edited by lesliemal 2008-06-11 8:54 PM
rockin kgin
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-06-13 5:01 PM (#85646 - in reply to #84233)

We were going to camp there in April "08, but they are too expensive for a state park. When I called it was $25 to camp and $15 per horse in the barn (mandatory-- no tie outs). I complained to the Ga. Park Service with no response. The site ARE nice and easy in/out or pull throughs, but not at that price (especially with the price of fuel now). 
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-06-15 4:08 PM (#85702 - in reply to #84233)

Extreme Veteran

We just got back from a long weekend at Watson Mill State Park in Comer, Georgia. They only have about 12 miles of trails but the campgound is nice, and the barns are good. Price is $22 per nite for campsite and $8 a nite for a stall. However, you do NOT have to use a stall, picketing is allowed.
smhaughton
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-04 3:26 PM (#90963 - in reply to #85551)

New User

Hi:

We are planning a trip to Hard Labor for one night (a stopover on our way north). Do you still know if the "hump" over the railroad tracks is a problem. And what road is this "hump" on?

We have a 10' SW LQ (3 horse) - 33 ft long. If the "hump" is still there, what is the route around it? Same as what you posted on 6/ll/08. We are coming from Tallahassee.

Thanks.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-09-04 4:02 PM (#90967 - in reply to #84233)

Extreme Veteran

Hump is still there and will always be as far as I know.  It is the main crossing in downtown Rutledge.  Just follow the directions in my previous post and you should be fine.  Will you be traveling in from the east toward Atlanta or the west away from Atlanta?  I know Tallahassee is south but was not sure how you were coming up.
smhaughton
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-05 12:27 PM (#91034 - in reply to #90967)

New User

I copied your directions from earlier thread. Thanks. Just was checking for updates, if any.
Looking at the map, we will probably come from the east (Atlanta) unless we try GA 142 going north. Are you familiar with GA 142 - any good for LQ trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)