'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone Seen Ebay Lately?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-22 11:57 AM
17 replies, 5199 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-12-20 12:55 PM (#52687)
Subject: Anyone Seen Ebay Lately?

Veteran

I have to admit that part of my daily routine is going on this site - read the new posts, go over to the Trailer for Sale section, browse through there looking for the perfect 2H Trailer, then I go over to Ebay and do a search and see whats new for trailers.  For a while now they've had a problem with fraudulent listings.  Today reached a new high.  There were so many fake listings that it filled up my screen.  Finally after scrolling down some I was able to see a few "real" listings.  I don't know what they are going to do, but this problem of people copying pictures, hijacking accounts, and posting fake listings has gone too far. 

I can't imagine that anyone falls for these ads at this point - A 3 horse Slant with Living Quarters for $2900 and free delivery... sign me up

Thanks All, just venting, and I'd really like to see Ebay put a stop to it.

Steve

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-12-20 4:16 PM (#52694 - in reply to #52687)
Subject: RE: Anyone Seen Ebay Lately?

Veteran

I hear yah!  I actually saw a featherlite in two different e-bay ads in two different states with the EXACT SAME picture (not a promo. picture, just in someones yard)!  It is unfortunate- buyers beware!  Also saw a 2005 Sundowner Stampede- 2 H BP for $4,500 (retails new for well over $11,000) and a 2006 2 H BP 4-star for $5,500 I believe, on equine.com- scammers are everywhere.  If the deal is to be true.....
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-12-20 6:27 PM (#52698 - in reply to #52687)

Expert

I'll do you one better.  Someone broke into my yahoo account last month and found an e-mail from e-bay and clicked on the link which gave them my user name.  They then requested a lost password and ordered $800 worth of prepaid calling cards and clicked on pay with pay pal and got my user name and requested a lost password. At least thats what were guessing happened, can't think of anyother way they could have gotten all three user names.  They aren't written down or saved on my computer.

FORTUNATELY I was home and online while this was happening and saw the e-mails e-bay and paypal sent to confirm the bid/payment and immediately called paypal and stopped the payment.  Then I got on yahoo and, to my surprise, found out that "I" was talking to the sellers telling them not to mail the calling cards but to e-mail the numbers/pin numbers to "me" at an alternate e-mail address instead.  I sent an e-mail to them to tell them not to send anything because it wasn't really me and I had already stopped payment.  I got the reply from them and I guess the other "me" was reading it at the same time because they changed my password on me.  I couldnt get into my yahoo account or e-bay account.  I had to spend 2 hours trying to find a phone number for yahoo to reset my account.  Guess I should have changed the password first hua?

It was a huge headache and took me 9 days to get my money back in my checking account.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-12-20 6:53 PM (#52700 - in reply to #52687)

Veteran

These scammers seem to have a lot of angles they use to get our account information.  It's such a shame so many obviously smart people decide to waste their talent and make our lives difficult.  I'm glad you were able to stop all that - I imagine their must be a lot of folks who don't find it so quickly.  So many of these fake ads are listed using peoples accounts who don't have a clue what has happened.  Ebay needs to do something about this now, or more folks like me (who at one time used Ebay a lot) will no longer use the site.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-12-20 7:00 PM (#52701 - in reply to #52687)

Extreme Veteran

I refuse to use ebay.  Nothing but crooks waiting to pounce. I have even saw an add on here for a 3500 DRW 4x4 6-speed Dodge that was bogus.  Crooks are everywhere on the internet. It's like walking through a mine field. Better always be on guard.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-12-20 8:49 PM (#52706 - in reply to #52687)

As a member of the "grammar police" on this site, I am glad that the scammers have moved away from here.  Forget ebay, I don't even look at it anymore.  Sorry I missed the bogus truck ad.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 12:05 AM (#52711 - in reply to #52687)

Extreme Veteran

I tried to email it to someone but I couldn't figure out who that would be. Easy to spot the bogus ones.  1. A deal that is unbelievable. 2. A yahoo or hotmail email address.  3. Try to call the phone number they give an it is wrong or undialable. 

webdreamin
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 9:08 AM (#52721 - in reply to #52687)

I get a lot of emails asking me to send my account information. I closed 2 different accounts because of people getting access. I forward them to stopfraud@ebay.com. I get a lot of emails saying I ordered items and the funds were not available in my PayPal account to cover. It is a shame that people spend their days just figuring out to to rip people off, but it is not going to stop as long as soemone is making $$ from it.
sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-12-21 10:06 AM (#52724 - in reply to #52687)

Regular

And it seems that there's been some monkey play on this site lately as well.  There's been a few instances of legitmate ads being hacked into and changed - price, contact info, etc...

Swartz Trailer Sales
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-12-21 10:07 AM (#52725 - in reply to #52687)

I got one for you guys.Last week I had a 2 Horse Bumperpull listed on Ebay that I ended up selling.Yesterday I get 2 calls for the trailer I had listed on Ebay.I ask the first caller to give me the item number and told him I had no trailers on Ebay right now.I looked the trailer up and saw my exact same ad that I ran last week.Pictures were the same and wording was the same.It was like it was copied over.The seller was a new member  just signed up on Dec. 9 and he was in Canada.I sent this to Ebay's attention and  today the trailer is  off the listing and still waiting to hear what Ebay has to say about it.The scammer did'nt realize in my item description that my name and number was there.I just wonder how many tried to email him.I also noticed that one of the bidders was new the Ebay only a couple days.Like he was bidding it up.One thing I did notice is you can no longer contact a bidder.I was going to contact the bidders and tell them that was a fake and that it was my ad.By Ebay doing that ,I think it will help a little.Before anyone could click onto a bidder and send them something.That is where alot of second chance offers were coming from.Now I'm thinking only the seller can contact the bidders.This should help Ebay a little  bit,They have to start doing something or they won't last.

Any way to the scammer that had to pay to put my listing on Ebay,Thanks I sold 2 trailers yesterday because of it and never cost me a dime.Jokes on you this time

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-12-21 11:25 AM (#52729 - in reply to #52725)

Expert

How funny.  I'm glad it worked out for you. 

It took e-bay 3 weeks to e-mail me back and let me know I didn't have to pay for the items.  You'd figure they would respond a lot quicker and have a phone number for emergency contacts and such.  We searched for hours and never found a phone number and you have to be logged in to send them an e-mail which made it really difficult since my password had been changed by the scammer.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 12:08 PM (#52733 - in reply to #52729)

Veteran

Isn't that something - I tried to find a phone number for ebay... nowhere on their site.  I ended up emailing them about the fraudulent listings, and I did notice most of them were gone by last night.  I doubt they responded so quickly to my email - I wonder if they have people and/or software that keep an eye out for the blatantly fake ads.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-12-21 12:20 PM (#52735 - in reply to #52733)

Expert

I'm just glad paypal has a contact number on their site.  I was able to stop them from paying out the money, but not quick enough to stop them from requesting the money from my bank account.  Not having access to $800 of my money was fusterating.  I got it back, but not without having to make some late payments.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-21 1:09 PM (#52737 - in reply to #52733)

Expert

Originally written by SHMANN on 2006-12-21 11:08 AM

Isn't that something - I tried to find a phone number for ebay... nowhere on their site.  I ended up emailing them about the fraudulent listings, and I did notice most of them were gone by last night.  I doubt they responded so quickly to my email - I wonder if they have people and/or software that keep an eye out for the blatantly fake ads.

The is a way to report scam auctions via E-bay.

At the very bottom of the page, click "report this item"

next page: Select "Fraudulent listings"

then: "you suspect a listing is fraudulent, you didn't bid"

then: continue

Next page: click "e-mail us"

Say why you think the listing is fraudulent.  E-bay usually responds ... and the listing gets deleted.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-12-21 3:27 PM (#52740 - in reply to #52687)

Extreme Veteran

At the beginning of this year I had my checking & saving account empited by PalPal fraud. My bank took care of me the next day, and PalPal reimbursed my bank after about 4 months or so. I no longer keep any banking account information in PalPal. Do NOT put checking account info in your pay pal account. I'll tell you there is no worst feeling than logging on to balance your bank statement and find out you have no money to balance it with.

Always practice safe computing... Betty

Edited by bjhouten 2006-12-21 3:30 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-22 12:17 AM (#52756 - in reply to #52740)

Expert

Originally written by bjhouten on 2006-12-21 2:27 PM

At the beginning of this year I had my checking & saving account empited by PalPal fraud. My bank took care of me the next day, and PalPal reimbursed my bank after about 4 months or so.

Betty ... Can you tell us how your pay-pal account was used against you. 

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-12-22 11:48 AM (#52766 - in reply to #52687)

Extreme Veteran

Somehow an off-shore account got access to my PayPal account, and used it to make "purchases". It started with $30 "purchases" a few days apart, then the dollar amount increased over several days, then they took a "large amount" one right after another over several days until they had used up my checking & rolled into my savings. (overdraft protection) I was suprised my bank had not noticed this activity. I had not checked my account for about 10 days, and this happen to start during that period. I don't know how they got authorization to make the "purchases" in the first place. My bank was great, and said that this is not that uncommon, and they never get a report on the cause of the fraud from PalPal. I am guessing they "captured" a transaction I made earlier on ebay, and used that info to do the purchases. That's the only thing I can figure. But it was weird because I had not purchased anything off of ebay/PalPal for about 6 months prior to that. So who knows. I know it was an off-shore account because I did research on the email address and it came from an IP provided in Brazil. I emailed the provider about the fraud, but never heard from them. Now if I want something off ebay I try and contact the seller to provide my info directly to them if possible.  I'm just a little shy about using PalPal now.  I'm sure PayPal works great for millions of people. If you do on-line transactions I highly recommend you check you accounts frequently for invalid debits.

-Betty

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-22 11:57 AM (#52767 - in reply to #52766)

Expert

Betty .. Thanks... I'm going to cut the Pay-pal connection to my bank accounts right now.

I'll use a credit card exclusively with pay-pal

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)