'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cribbing horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-21 12:33 AM
17 replies, 8350 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-26 3:19 PM (#47453)
Subject: cribbing horses

I would like to hear about your cribbing horse nightmares, and what you do/did to help the solution. I swear I have the worst cribbing, there has not been a collar on the market that work for her, and not an objcet that she can not crib off. Everytime we build a new paddock, put another horse with her, keep her with the other horses, and several ideas we have had, they all fail. Right now my biggest challenge is keeping the weight on her, this year she has a nice shiney coat, just skinny as heck. Tried beat pulp...alfalfa cubes...senior feed...and now we are ona technology feed but she seem to have lost weight on this so she is on one more bag and then I have to changed my options. What do you do to maintain a cribbing horse...by the way she is a nrevous mare as well.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-08-27 5:15 AM (#47471 - in reply to #47453)
Subject: RE: cribbing horses

Expert

To many good horses out there to put up with theese modern day habits. Sell her (annouce that she is a cribber) and cut your losses. I went Friday morning to look at a mare to buy owners told me how nice she was and all, she was bred to the gills, after all the talk was about over that mare went over to the fence and started tugging, at that time I felt like asking the seller for my fuel cost back. He said all by the way she will "chew a little wood". I won't have one of them on my place, I don't care if they won congress, I had one start cribbing about 4-5 years ago I gave it to a friends daughter for a 4-H project, and he hasn't spoke to me since.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-08-29 1:32 PM (#47587 - in reply to #47453)

Extreme Veteran

I've never had a cribber before, but I have some thoughts on the weight problem and nervous horses. I feed LMF Senior to my husband's old (32yo) Appy and he's doing well. He always loses weight in the Fall when he's getting his Winter coat....I guess the extra energy goes to hair and not to weight...so I feed him extra during that time. If your mare is "nervous" anyway, I'd watch out for what you feed her for weight gain. A lot of the weight builder feeds out there are full of sugar and "hot" ingredients, so you might be adding to her hyper need to entertain herself by cribbing. The best all-around staple for all horses is hay and grass with low sugar and protein - no alfalfa in your case. In your shoes, I'd get her to a large pasture where she can socialize with other horses and have something to chew on all day. If that's not possible, I'd put her on the Low-Carb LMF feed, rice bran, and give her LOTS of hay, preferably in several feedings per day to imitate a pasture setting. Good luck!
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-29 10:09 PM (#47608 - in reply to #47453)

Veteran

Severe cribbing is like being hooked on a drug.  The horse almost gets "high" from sucking wind, it give them a sense of well-being or relief.  The best thing you can do it give them a very large pasture with a few other quiet horses as buddies year round.  Most cribbers start because they were stall sour.  Being cooped up 24/7 with nothing to do....can you blame them?  Horses are roaming, grazing, herd animals...believe it or not but they like being outside, even in bad weather.  They are healthier too.

Also...do not confuse cribbing with just chewing wood.  Many horses will chew on a fence or part of their stall ....kind of like a dog chewing on a stick.  This in NOT cribbing....it is the sucking of the air down their throat that determines cribbing.

I have had success with feeding beet pulp (a lg coffee can "wet")  1x a day building up to 2x a day topdressed with 1/2 cup of oil building up to 1 cup.  Also I would feed a complete pelleted feed with 14 - 16% protein and 5-6 % fat.  Also regular worming and teeth floating along with lots of good grass hay or pasture.  It will take a few months but has worked very well for me.  Good luck.

maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-30 7:16 PM (#47655 - in reply to #47453)

thanks for the advice, although I failed to add that she is out on pasture and she is with other horses too, but she will find something to crib of whether it will be the tree, or the fence post. And like I said I have tried all the cribbing collars on the market.....and yes she is cribbing and not chewing wood.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-08-31 7:00 AM (#47665 - in reply to #47453)

Veteran

Sometimes a cribbing horse is a horse w/ulcers....& that will also make weight gain difficult to say the least.  You might try treating her for them.  Go to www.barrelhorseworld.com  & do a search for "ulcers"..... alll kinds of info will come up & you will get ALOT of suggestions for treatment.  You can also search for cribbers, too - I know there have been threads on that specifically too.  I had a cribber, too - raised him from conception & had to put him down due to a brain tumor at age 29.  I ended up using a flat strap that an Amish guy made (he made the first one - last one was made by a saddle maker in Chino Valley, AZ) & that worked the best for him.  He was also prone to ulcers.  The ONLY time I ever had a weight problem w/him was when living in AZ & I treated him w/Dynamite Miracle Clay for 1 mo - & from then on, he was good!  (this was at age 27, just before we moved to MT.  He HATED AZ.....was born & raised in MI.  He loved it up here tho!  )
grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-09-06 10:47 PM (#48018 - in reply to #47453)

Regular

You might want to give the new supplement from Farnam, "Quitt" a try.  It got good reviews in "Horse Journal".  I sent my horse to the trainers a few months ago, and he started chewing the place up (didn't before he got there, which was weird).  We put him on "Quitt" and he stopped chewing but does lick the wood now (also weird).  It wasn't that expensive either.

The effectiveness may depend on if your horse is a true "cribber" or just chews around on wood - I think I read where it wasn't as effective on cribbers, but it may be worth a shot to see if it helps.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-09-07 7:42 AM (#48024 - in reply to #47453)

Elite Veteran

I second AbbyB's suggestion on the Dynamite Miracle Clay - it works wonders for many things as well as  soothing tummies.  My horse had started to chew wood, I used Miracle Clay for 30 days and 1 1/2 years later he has yet to chew any wood.

Forget the Quitt - people at my barn have tried it and it doesn't do anything.  I suggested MC and they started using it, but were lazy and didn't finish the month treatment.

I also give it to my horse everytime I trailer him as that can be stressful.  It's a powder you mix with water and give in a syringe (no needle) in the mouth.  My horse doesn't mind the taste and in fact will lick it off your arm.  It's also great for bee or wasp stings as it draws out the poison.

You can only get it through Dyamite dealers and one container lasted me over a year, so it goes far. 

I'm not saying it will cure a cribber, but if a horse is having stomach issues which cause it to be in pain, and you can stop that pain, it's a good thing.

Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-07 10:23 AM (#48045 - in reply to #47453)

Veteran

I second the "no" vote for Quitt.  I have heard the some from friends that tried it.......didn't work.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-07 8:08 PM (#48069 - in reply to #48045)

Extreme Veteran

I bought a horse 22yrs ago that was a cribber and he is 24 now best horse I ever owned and he is a cribber and does pretty good if I only keep him in a stall half the time. His stall is 12x24 and crib proof, turn him out every night. Used to try and fight it collars etc. and I just desided to leave him alone and let him be a horse. He is like a smoker after he eats he likes to suck a little bit. He is 16.3 and weighs 1275 . You can either sell them , try to beat them or leave them alone. If I had the choice I would'nt have bought one but was dumb then and ended up with a good one. He will be here till he dies.
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-09-18 9:16 PM (#48744 - in reply to #47453)

Veteran

I have had 2 cribbers...the first one taught the second. It is embarrassing if you take them somewhere, but they have been the best horses that I have had. I tried a couple of collars, including the "wonder collar" and nothing worked. I had no problem with maintaining weight. So I just gave up. They don't even stay in stalls, but they like to spend time sucking on a fence post!
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-23 5:26 AM (#48981 - in reply to #47453)

Expert

Read my post about dog training collar.I'd be curious what it would do for a cribber.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-23 4:39 PM (#49001 - in reply to #48744)

Extreme Veteran

I've heard people say that one could teach another this trick but I have had several horses in the past 22 yrs and this is the only one I have had.
chevalnoir
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-29 9:08 AM (#49346 - in reply to #47453)

Cribbing is a symptom of a larger issue.  Often ulcers.  Have you spoken to your vet about her problems?

It sounds like your horse probably has ulcers and may have some other health problems.  I would recommend a full vet work up on her and getting her scoped for ulcers.  If you don't have the money to scope her, I would just go ahead and treat her with Gastro Guard.  It is expensive, but the only real cure for active ulcers.

Once the active ulcers have healed, there are other , less expensive, supplements out there that should help prevent reoccurance.

Iridem99
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-11-13 9:43 PM (#51440 - in reply to #47453)

Hiya Maeclara,

I had a VERY bad cribber at my barn who could crib through the "Miracle Collar" with ease. The higher she could grab something, the easier to crib. She developed the habit as a jumper in a barn where the show horses had a small turnout yard and got ridden most days. Yup, she was bored. But now it's a habit that got...curtailed..by keeping her turned out and putting electric along the top edge of every board she could get her teeth on. She gets hay continuously plus grass in season and she doesn't crib with this setup. As soon as she comes inside, she's grabbing for something to crib on. I asked to owner to try a cribbing muzzle, which I have also seen work on bad cribbers, but she kept putting it off. The horse did finally move and is now cribbing almost continuously again on their fence boards and has lost weight.

Quite awhile ago, I had seen an electronic collar which only activated when the muscles in the horses neck tensed to crib. Haven't seen it in years, too bad.

About the Quitt.....worked on a couple of young horses I had that were starting to chew wood when they were teething. It worked on them.

Good luck!!! Tough habit!!!

3horses
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-12-06 2:12 PM (#52254 - in reply to #47453)

Until recently, cribbing was thought to be hereditary and related to boredom, but new information associates it wich stomach pain from excess acidity and ulcers.Research also shows feeding grains causes ulcers, cribbing, colic, founder, tying up, diarrhea, and other health problems.The factors that affected cribbing behavior were high intake of concentrate feeds, being stalled, and weaning alone.If your horse is a cribber, have an endoscope done to check for ulcers.
Christina84
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-19 1:50 PM (#54112 - in reply to #47453)

New User

I have a 3 year old Irish Sporthorse that is a very determined cribber. I tried the Miracle Collar, but in order for it to work it had to be so tight that it caused sores. Then I tried a Best Friends Cribbing muzzle made of Nylon w/ an aluminum bottom. That worked, but started to fall apart w/in  a week. Next I tried a "freedom muzzle" which is a thick wire muzzle coated with vinyl that allows the horse to eat and drink. My horse would actually press the muzzle up against a wooden post, and crib through the muzzle. I also tried several of the paint on/spray on products that taste bad, none of which worked for more than  a week before they had to be re-applied. Currently I use a stainless steel muzzle made by Best Friends in conjunction with a spray on product that really works, and only needs to be applied once, and lasts for a year. It's called Bitterlicks, and the website for it is: www.bitterlicks.com   I hope some of this info. will be useful to you. It is definitely a good idea to try something to stop the cribbing. Cribbing, as you probably know, is a very bad habit that is detrimental to horses. It causes the teeth to wear down abnormally fast and uneven, horses destroy property when they crib, they can teach it to other horses, and it has been known to cause colic. Additionally, it makes it hard to keep weight on a horse. If  nothing else works, a last resort is a new surgery called the"Modified Forsell's " procedure done with a laser. They cut the accessory nerve w/ the laser, then remove 13 inches of two neck muscles. (the omohyoideus and sternothyrohyoideus muscles) and then close the wound up to heal. It sounds brutal, but is supposed to only leave a small scar on the underside of the neck. I might look into this procedure for my horse so he doesn't have to wear a muzzle. I'm not sure how expensive it is, though. 

My horse goes out everyday in a large pasture w/ another horse, and doesn't crib while out in  the pasture since the pasture has an electric fence, but as soon as he comes in for the night he starts cribbing in his stall on the wood or on his water bucket. He seems to crib the most when he's eating. Horses crib for different reasons. Some crib because they're bored (ex.-a racehore who's stalled all day), some crib because they are stressed out, others crib because they have stomach problems, and still others crib because they learn it from another horse. My horse learned to crib from his mother, even though at the time he learned to crib he was turned out to pasture 24/7 so obviously he wasn't bored. The problem is that once they start cribbing, they will probably never stop. If you want to find more information, go to a search engine and put in "horse cribbing solutions" or "cribbing". That's what I did, and I got alot of good info. Hope you find something that works for your horse to stop the cribbing.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-21 12:33 AM (#54172 - in reply to #47453)

Expert

They have been doing cribbing surgery for years and I have seen it both work and fail.  They are the horses with great headsets and skinny throat-latches, I mean abnormally skinny, think supermodel.

I'd sell while you can and cut your losses, like was stated above.  I've seen Congress/World quality AQHA all-around horses that you couldn't hardly sell because they were so fixated on their habit.  Pawn him/her while you can!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)