'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Listing for diesel locations

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-13 4:27 PM
17 replies, 3753 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-05-09 11:40 PM (#41519)
Subject: Listing for diesel locations

Veteran

I'm going to be traveling to a new part of the country this summer. Are there any good listings to check for hours, locations, etc. of stops that carry auto diesel?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-10 12:02 AM (#41520 - in reply to #41519)
Subject: RE: Listing for diesel locations

Veteran

Amazon carries this: The Next Exit: USA Interstate Highway Exit Directory

it may help you out.

How is "auto diesel" different?

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-05-10 2:56 AM (#41526 - in reply to #41519)

Veteran

I think it is a different mix than is used in semis. Maybe not as much or more sulpher, I'm not sure. Someone else on here can probaly tell for sure. I also don't know that a private rig can fuel up at a truck stop for commercial rigs. I know that they aren't charged some of the tax, looking at the difference in the price. If you look you can see signs saying $.$$ auto diesel and signs saying $.$$ exemept. Can a private rig fuel up at a truck stop and just tell them they are not exemept and pay the difference? Sure would be easier getting in and out of a truck stop lot than a small station. Also, thanks for the site you gave me.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-10 5:37 AM (#41529 - in reply to #41519)

Expert

The fuel out front and the fuel on side(big rigs) is the same.I have and do when pulling trailer fill up with the BIG trucks.Nozzel size is BIGGER.But same fuel.Only OFF ROAD is the tax excempt.Its also DYED RED but it also is same fuel and has been for several years.Just has dye in it.Have a friend with a 03 dodge diesel who modified his filler and almost always uses the big rig side.He can fill up in a fraction the time it takes on the auto side.
MichaelD
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-10 6:51 AM (#41530 - in reply to #41519)

Regular

You can fill up where the big rigs do.When you go in to pay they just add all of the taxes in so you pay the same price as at the auto pumps.

Mike 

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-10 9:19 AM (#41532 - in reply to #41530)

Extreme Veteran

A lot of the truck stops that have the bigger nozzles will have a smaller one on the pump closest to the building.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-10 9:30 AM (#41534 - in reply to #41532)

Expert

I will comment that unless you fuel up promptly and in a timely manor at  the BIG rig island some will and do get upset! They really get tisty with the motor home crowd who want to walk their dogs,take a shower,look at every fliud etc.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-10 10:34 AM (#41542 - in reply to #41534)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hounddog on 2006-05-10 9:30 AM

I will comment that unless you fuel up promptly and in a timely manor at  the BIG rig island some will and do get upset! They really get tisty with the motor home crowd who want to walk their dogs,take a shower,look at every fliud etc.

I always move away from the pumps if I have to go inside to pay or other activities, either with my rig or in my car. I certainly appreciate it when those in front of me move out of the way. I frequently fill at the bit rig island because in so many places I just can't get my rig in the car islands. My husband & I measured my rig awhile back and it is 50ft long from the front of the truck to the rear of the trailer, I was alittle suprised. :-)
-Betty

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-10 3:35 PM (#41557 - in reply to #41519)

Elite Veteran

InIndiana,

If you're talking about where you're going in June, I can assure you that there are plenty of places to get diesel.  Not to worry!!

Nancy

Edited by N2ridin 2006-05-10 3:36 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-10 9:06 PM (#41571 - in reply to #41520)

Expert

Originally written by arroyoseccofarm on 2006-05-10 1:02 AM

Amazon carries this: The Next Exit: USA Interstate Highway Exit Directory

it may help you out.

How is "auto diesel" different?

It is dispensed from a smaller nozzle, usually on an island that is difficult to wrap a horse trailer around. Otherwise it is pretty much the same; cetane, sulphur, cloud point, etc. SOME pick-up trucks can't take the full sized nozzle, others vent so poorly that you'd WISH you hadn't jammed the big nozzle in there and put it on even the slowest flow. Yes, if you're filling up on the truck pumps DO move ahead as a courtesy - REAL trucker style (-:

Just about any truck stop can handle cash and credit cards as well as truck accounts. The taxes are collected differently for commercial accounts, details don't matter if you're "private" - that's the answer to the question you might get asked about your account. Not having one means you're "private". Get a Love's card if you're going through states that they're in, you start to get stuff after a few hundred gallons.

re: listing of locations; A list of where they're NOT would be a lot shorter. If you're travelling they're just about everywhere that trucks pass. If you're settling or staying in a small town for a while you might have to ask the locals if its REALLY off the beaten track.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-05-10 10:24 PM (#41583 - in reply to #41519)

Expert

http://www.flyingj.com/

List all their truck stops and the PRICE of their fuel at each location

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-05-10 11:41 PM (#41586 - in reply to #41519)

Veteran

Thanks all!!! Really valuable info. And I get testy at the auto pumps if someone fills up and then goes in and looks at everything there is in the station! Would not do that. Pull in, fill up and get out of the way! Might be traveling of a night and maybe not be on interstate all the way was the main reason for wanting the info. Thanks again and if anyone still has ideas, lets hear them!!
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-11 9:01 AM (#41596 - in reply to #41519)

Extreme Veteran

Flying J truck stops have separate diesel pumps for RV ans trailers. They are separate from the big rig pumps and most places, separate from the car gasoline pumps. They also have dump station and potable water hoses. (flyingj.com)

Loves are good, but I have always had to pull in by the "big boys". On Interstaes, I usually just watch the signs for the next exit. They will say "diesel" if a station carries diesel.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-11 2:59 PM (#41614 - in reply to #41596)

Expert

Originally written by Cloud9 on 2006-05-11 10:01 AM

Flying J truck stops have separate diesel pumps for RV ans trailers. They are separate from the big rig pumps and most places, separate from the car gasoline pumps. They also have dump station and potable water hoses. (flyingj.com)

Loves are good, but I have always had to pull in by the "big boys". On Interstaes, I usually just watch the signs for the next exit. They will say "diesel" if a station carries diesel.

Topic Drift:
In my opinion "Pulling in with the Big Boys" is a good thing for a number of reasons.
1) SHADE ! Even in the cold months if you've been travelling at 60+ MPH and then stop, your trailer will warm up quite a bit, even if you open it up and I'm sure we all do. Then we get going again and "Ventilate" the trailer. So, I seek big rig shade to keep the trailer cool during the stop and avoid the re-chilling.
2) Families with kids. OK, so I try to never leave the trailer unattended and I don't have drop down windows with horse heads poking out, but I still don't want kids offering bits of hot dogs (and/or fingers) to the horses.
3) Part of 2 really, people who just want to pet the horses and tell me about their distant relatives who are from wherever and are "into horses, big time" as if I'm supposed to know them. I don't want the horses messed with and it seems to be ONLY the people who know nothing about horses who want to get a finger bitten off (-: I'm sure they'd sue.

So for ME parking with the big trailers is a clear winner. YMMV, etc.

Edited by Reg 2006-05-11 8:11 PM
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-05-11 7:43 PM (#41621 - in reply to #41519)

Veteran

Again, I recommend getting, knowing how to properly use, and useing a C.B. radio.  Just ask what exit the next fuel shop's at.  When ya ask on the radio we mostly assume that you're a big truck and automatically give ya the next truck stop, not that little Conoco station that has 2 fuel pumps in the middle of B.F.E.   And for all of you that may pull up next to my Bull-Rack for shade at the next truck stop..... I can't be held responsible for what may end up on the roof, or side of your rig!  LOL  EWWWWW, What's that green STUFF :)

Like everyone else has said, the fuel's the same and they will just add the tax for ya when you go to pay, just tell them "private carrier" or "private use".  Most of the time you will have to call in to the fuel desk to get the pump authorized so look for a phone or intercome system near the pumps somewhere, and use it.  That's when they will want your company name, D.O.T. #, and all that good stuff, then you can tell them the "private" stuff.   If ya have a question, I'm sure a driver around will help ya.

Talk to y'all later....

Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-05-12 5:46 PM (#41642 - in reply to #41519)

Heres south dakotas and the prices are on there too!
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-13 7:16 AM (#41657 - in reply to #41614)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2006-05-11 2:59 PM

Topic Drift:
In my opinion "Pulling in with the Big Boys" is a good thing for a number of reasons.
1) SHADE ! Even in the cold months if you've been travelling at 60+ MPH and then stop, your trailer will warm up quite a bit, even if you open it up and I'm sure we all do. Then we get going again and "Ventilate" the trailer. So, I seek big rig shade to keep the trailer cool during the stop and avoid the re-chilling.
2) Families with kids. OK, so I try to never leave the trailer unattended and I don't have drop down windows with horse heads poking out, but I still don't want kids offering bits of hot dogs (and/or fingers) to the horses.
3) Part of 2 really, people who just want to pet the horses and tell me about their distant relatives who are from wherever and are "into horses, big time" as if I'm supposed to know them. I don't want the horses messed with and it seems to be ONLY the people who know nothing about horses who want to get a finger bitten off (-: I'm sure they'd sue.

So for ME parking with the big trailers is a clear winner. YMMV, etc.

Good point, Reg. Lots of kids want to see the horse and at the least tie you up with inane questions.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-05-13 4:27 PM (#41668 - in reply to #41519)

Veteran

(have been using the MSN web site for Gas prices.  They also show those station that carry Diesiel, and you can map the locations.  I estimate a safe distance and find the ZIP for the next town, enter and and find the station with the lowest price.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=Netx

Turfa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World