'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cross ties

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-10 10:46 AM
17 replies, 6280 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-10-03 7:51 PM (#92547)
Subject: cross ties

Veteran

Ok, Heres a question....A friend and I have a disagreement on where to put the saftey latch end of the cross tie?

Do you hook the saftey latch end to the horse or to the wall?

I have always been told to hook it to the wall.That way if the horse breaks away it will be hanging from the halter and you can catch them more easly.Any way I am just wondering if it is a matter of prefrence or is there really a right and wrong way to hook it?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-10-03 9:08 PM (#92548 - in reply to #92547)
Subject: RE: cross ties

Veteran

I would always attach it to the halter.  Keep in mind, the quick release is not necessary designed to pop loose when a horse pulls back, just for you to be able to release it quickly by hand, although there are some made to pull loose with straight pressure.  If a horse does manage to pull it open, it would not be a good idea to have a 3 foot long rope with a heavy metal clasp on the end attched to the halter-your horse could injure himself or you by swinging it wildly around.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-10-03 9:12 PM (#92549 - in reply to #92547)

Expert

If a horse is thrashing around, having your head and arm close to him can be detremintal to your health.  I always have a knife, and put panic releases further from the horse.

horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-10-04 11:04 AM (#92565 - in reply to #92547)

Veteran

I would think you would want it attached to the wall where you can easily pop it open if it does not release.

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-10-05 10:49 PM (#92644 - in reply to #92547)

Regular

I like to put one each direction.  That way, if there is a problem, you have the option of unhooking from which ever direction is safer.  If the horse should rear, you don't want to go up under him to unhook from the halter, so you can at least get the one side from the wall.  If it is safe and easier, you can unhook from the halter on that side, if you have one fastened each way.  I found situations where each has worked best.  I will say I HATE, HATE, HATE those bungee cord cross ties.  My filly has always taken them as a challenge.  She leans into them and stretches them for fun.  So FAR, she hasn't broken one, but I keep expecting it.  They don't really provide restraint, because they stretch.  They can be dangerous, too, because they do come apart easily and snap back.  A local farrier got hit in the eye when a horse freaked out and broke one and they hought he might lose his eye.  Fortunately, it was not as bad as they first thought. 
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-10-06 10:23 AM (#92656 - in reply to #92547)

Elite Veteran

Definitly not on the horse! As others have said you don't want to put yourself in peril if something happens. Also if you disconnect it from the horse, how do you control the horse? Try to grab the halter of a horse going crazy and lose fingers or a hand. If you disconnect from the wall you still have a lead to control the horse and hopefully prevent further problems.
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-10-06 7:04 PM (#92671 - in reply to #92547)

Veteran

You all have VERY good points.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-10-06 7:27 PM (#92673 - in reply to #92671)

Expert

I always keep my lead rope on my horse's halter whenever he is in crossties or in the trailer except during bath time.I use a long soft cotton rope with a length of chain and a hook clasp on the end for my crossties.But in the trailer,I use the bungee cord and I put the panic clasp near the halter.I don't want it to fly into my horse's eye if he were to pull back and release it.I keep a knife handy if I had to cut the cord but I would sure want to be out of the way of the panic snap if I did.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-10-06 9:35 PM (#92680 - in reply to #92673)

Extreme Veteran

I like the idea of having a panic snap on the wall on one side and on the horse on the other side...  I hadn't thought of that.  As for bungie ties, I had a friend use a  bungie cord trailer tie and the horse pulled back without any notice, and she didn't get to the release in time... it snapped and broke her hand so badly that she has now had 3 surgeries to try to repair all the damage.  He was a horse that was trailered weekly to drill team practice and had never had a problem in the trailer before so she was caught off guard when he pulled like that.  As you can guess, I am reluctant to use a bungie tie :)

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-07 7:06 AM (#92698 - in reply to #92547)

Extreme Veteran

Hate, Hate, Hate the bungees - seen and heard of too many accidents when that heavy snap pops back at the horse or the handler.

I always put the panic end of the trailer tie or cross tie close to the wall, but I also make a loop of a short length of bailing twine and attach that to the wall ring, then I put the panic snap end onto the bailing twine loop.  More than likely the loop will pop before the panic snap breaks - and they do break - or with your always handy knife, you can cut the loop rather than the cross tie.

Also, I hate seeing one of those broken snaps left on the cross tie with another snap hooked to it.  Seems to defeat the purpose and it's a lot of metal "bobbing" around.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-10-07 8:35 AM (#92702 - in reply to #92547)

Expert

Cross tieing a horse is dangerous.None in my barn.Don't like them in trainers barns and some trainers  I've used feel the same way and won't allow or have them.A tie halter and single tie.Panic snaps always need to be away from the animal.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-07 9:35 AM (#92708 - in reply to #92547)

Extreme Veteran

Probably the best thing to do is to train the horse to ground tie.... not always possible or practical, but most likely the safest.  My gelding will stand in the aisle of the barn for quite a while with a lead line hanging and no ties. 

I also like a quality made rope halter and lead.  It's the hardware that is most likely to break down in a bad situation and we all know, once that horse knows it can break away, it's going to happen again and again.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-07 5:02 PM (#92723 - in reply to #92547)

Expert

I'm with hounddog, you won't find a cross-tie in any of my barns or my clients.  Young horses in particular, because they don't have a ton of weight on them, can really injure their necks or even break them on cross-ties.

I prefer a single lead dropped down from a single high attachment point.  Such a tie allows for a safe exit for people if things get hairy.  A horse in cross-ties can become tangled in both ropes around the head/neck or legs if they are so inclined.  I'd rather cut one rope than two, with cross-ties you need to be in the danger zone twice as long!

horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-10-07 7:13 PM (#92724 - in reply to #92547)

Veteran

I also use bale twine to hook my panic snap end to the wall.It does break fairly easy.My cross ties also have velcro.The velcro pops open even before the panic snap.Kinda like 2 safety fetures in one.All my horses cross tie very easily with no problems.My filly ground ties as well.I have had her since birth and she was tought to give to pressure.
albert
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-10-08 10:46 AM (#92764 - in reply to #92547)

This just happen to me this week !! I had my daughters 4 year old cross tied to trim his hooves. He spooked at a combine in a distant field. Reared up threw his head around several times until he broke both cross ties. Ended up falling down on his side. Skinned his legs up pretty good but doesn't look to be hurt at all. I feel as though I got really lucky cause he could of ended up on top of me or he could of hurt himself to the point of having to be put down. From now on I am going to use bailing twine. I think there is just enough hold to keep them in place and if they do go crazy they can break away with no problem.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-10-08 11:05 AM (#92765 - in reply to #92547)

Expert

Thats why cross tieing is dangerous.Been many a horse killed in cross ties as well as people getting hurt.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-10-08 2:03 PM (#92771 - in reply to #92547)

Elite Veteran

I'm not a big believer in cross ties either, but if used properly they have their use. They should be attached to the posts no higher than about 4 inches below the nose of your horse at his normal head set. They also should have very little sag in the rope. If they are set right the horse will not be able to rear and also not much movement of his front end only his hind. That also would prevent him from being able to put a lot of pull or jerk to the lines. To many people use the same setup for all horses no matter what their size. I much prefer that horses be able to be ground tied or at the minimum be able to be controlled easily by one lead rope in your hand. This is usually accomplished with a lot of ground work.
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-10 10:46 AM (#92874 - in reply to #92547)

Veteran

call me crazy, but i dont use those quick releases mainly because if a horse pulls back they have a tendency to open. I am of the school of thought that if you tie a horse, you tie a horse... if it gets in the habit of pulling back or going crazy and getting loose you are just starting bad habits... i just use bull snaps and rope... i also have no qualms about using a neck rope on a horse that likes to break things.. but it does not work real well in cross ties.... jmho
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)