'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bison Trailers..Opinions? Problems?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-08 7:24 PM
16 replies, 9440 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kristen812
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-03 5:11 PM (#29943)
Subject: Bison Trailers..Opinions? Problems?

New User

I am currently downsizing from a 2003 Featherlite 14' LQ with a slide out...we've already sold it and frankly, the amount we got out of it wasn't that great considering it wasn't all the way paid off.  So I had been looking into Bison trailers because they -look- nice for the money, but I wanted to be wise and ask for your opinions or any problems you've had with them.

I saw a nice slide out one..do there tend to be mechanical problems with them, or are they okay?  We had a countless number of problems with our trailer..not just with the slide out, however.  Anything you can tell me would be great.  And also, if Bison isn't the way to go, what other brands would you recommend?  I need to keep the price down (32k maximum) but I want something that will stand up to a fair amount of hauling as I will be pulling all over the nation with my next trailer.

Thanks in advance! :)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-03 7:05 PM (#29944 - in reply to #29943)
Subject: RE: Bison Trailers..Opinions? Problems?

Elite Veteran

I've owned my Bison 8312 almost a year and I love it.  A good solid trailer with a very nice LQ, great horse area and the price is right.  There's been alot of negative stuff on this forum about Bison, but I have been totally satisfied and would buy one again

Nancy

heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-04 9:58 AM (#29949 - in reply to #29943)

Regular

Check out Stidham Trailers, Chickasaw, Oklahoma. I have had Stidhams since 1970. Family owned, great quality, fine resale value.

Brenda

kristen812
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-04 5:34 PM (#29955 - in reply to #29943)

New User

Great!

Any other comments?

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-04 8:30 PM (#29959 - in reply to #29943)

Extreme Veteran

Buy another Featherlite?
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-09-06 2:56 AM (#29972 - in reply to #29943)

Veteran

I don't own or haven't owned a Bison but have friends that have. The two that do or did both had MAJOR roof leaks. I know all trailers have their problems and I was looking at Bison when I was in the market for a new trailer. If it had been minor things wrong, I would have probaly overlooked it, but water coming in like you were pouring it in was something I couldn't overlook. Otherwise I hadn't heard of anything bad happening to them until a couple weeks ago. I was camping and someone had a sign about a dealer that wouldn't fix his trailer or make it right. Someone from Bison was also to have looked at the trailer and he couldn't get anything done and it was still under warrenity at the time. It was cracking at the hitch (gooseneck) where it is welded onto the body. He also stated the brakes were non working. He had had all these problems since he had owned it. He wanted another trailer, but they wouldn't allow him what he still owed on it. He said it sounds awful going down the road. I don't want to sound like I'm bad-mouthing Bison, but I had asked the same question of friends when I was looking and got some good heads-up on trailers. I look on it as doing my research. This said, I ended up buying an American Spirit. If you research AS on this forum you will find info on them. Or you can post me a message. Good luck!
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-07 9:50 AM (#30009 - in reply to #29943)

Elite Veteran

The two Bison trailers InIndiana speaks of with leaky roofs are mine and one of our friends. Mine is a 1999, and the other is a 2004. Same roof design, same problem with leaks. The fiberglass roof seams on Bison trailers CAN BE a problem due to inconsitent sealing methods. I've seen some that don't leak and I've seen more than a few that do. Insurance just had my entire LQ redone finally because of the crappy roof leak destroying mine. Rather than repair the existing LQ it was cheaper (matter of symantics, cause it weren't cheap) to rip out the old and put in the new. Also they put a cap on the fiberglass roof seam, double sealed it and it no longer leaks. Just the way Bison should do it to begin with. Also, don't get a ramp, and make sure there is a drip stip on the back over the doors or water will run down into the tack area. I have owned my Bison since it was new, and the roof is the only major problem I blame on them for poor quality and workmanship, but it doesn't appear they have gotten much better over time either. Otherwise great trailers for the money. Heck, buy a new one and have the roof rhino-lined immediately, that should fix it.
kristen812
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-08 7:49 PM (#30102 - in reply to #29943)

New User

Ok.  That's really good to know..thanks everyone!
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-09 8:38 PM (#30143 - in reply to #29943)

Veteran

Kristen, we just bought a 2003 featherlite with 10 ft living quarters. So far we are very happy with this trailer. Just wondering what kind of problems you incurred with yours? Debbie
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-10 11:51 PM (#30168 - in reply to #29943)

Veteran

I have a 2004 Bison and love it. I bought it new from Randy Burmaster in Fletcher, NC. I'm starting to see more and more of these trailers at shows around here (eastern nc) Mine has a slide out and it's great. I couldn't be happier with the trailer or the price. I'd recommend going with the optional aluminum roof though, it seems most leaking problems are with the standard fiberglass roof.
Sheryl A
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-05 10:41 AM (#68864 - in reply to #29943)

New User

I have a 2006 Bison, there isn't any problems with the slide-out, but I've had it in the shop many times. First the sewer drain wasn't ever attached, and the microwave didn't work and a piece was missing on the awning. That was fixed by the dealer,no questions. Now the leg that the eletric jack is attached to was loose( 8 large bolts) Well the jack some how moved causing the wires to move and it caused a fire at the battery. So now I am fed up with Bison, so as soon as that is fixed by the dealer it will be good as new, what else could go wrong??? Anyway I'm either selling it to also down size or trading it in. So it's loaded,and it's for sale, always in the barn(or shop) used 6 times. Sheryl in Iowa
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-10-07 1:46 PM (#68940 - in reply to #29955)

Veteran

Kristen, I recently bought a 2007 Bison AlumaSport 3-H slant with 10' LQ....so far so good. I really have enjoyed it..pulls great (have a 350 DRW). Bought mine from Ken Fagin in Fletcher, N.C. (Randy Burmaster) and they were wonderful. I turned around in about 3 weeks and bought (from Randy) a 2-H CM for day trips....so glad I did...that LQ is a pain if you're day riding, vets, etc. Good luck...like anything...ask 10 people the same question and you'll probably get 5-7 different answers!! Good to do research and of course, your pocketbook will figure into the equation too! Lots of luck!
Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-07 6:54 PM (#68949 - in reply to #29943)

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong...but I just asked this question two weeks ago! It looks to me (I could be really wrong since I'm new at this) that some of these messages were posted two years ago - so is there STILL a problem with the roof?? I've NEVER heard that the Bison had a fiberglass roof!! And I didn't get this much negative feedback - mine was mostly positive.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-10-08 2:53 AM (#68982 - in reply to #29943)

Veteran

I looked back and my post was from 2 years ago to another post. You might report this problem to the moderator (look at the bottom of the post an click "report to moderator"). 

I do believe that Bison used to have a one peice fiberglass roof.  Never had one (Bison)  but did know of them leaking but I think they have worked thorugh that problem.

PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-08 10:33 AM (#68992 - in reply to #68949)

Veteran

Originally written by Teri on 2007-10-07 7:54 PM

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong...but I just asked this question two weeks ago! It looks to me (I could be really wrong since I'm new at this) that some of these messages were posted two years ago - so is there STILL a problem with the roof?? I've NEVER heard that the Bison had a fiberglass roof!! And I didn't get this much negative feedback - mine was mostly positive.

Bisons used to come standard with a fiberglass roof.  However there were lots of problems with them leaking. When I bought my trailer in 2004 the aluminum roof was an option. I had read about the problems with the fiberglass ones and made sure to get an aluminum one. I think now they've made aluminum their standard roof. I have had no problems with my roof leaking and I don't remember hearing of any other complaints about the aluminum roofs either.

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-10-08 7:04 PM (#69028 - in reply to #29943)

Veteran

I bought my Bison new in March. We travel camping about every 3 weeks rain or shine. We haven't had the first problem with the roof or any other sealed areas.

Our only problem was the saddle rack. The seats were too close together for our western saddles. We were going to have them repositioned by a local welding company but sometime on the way home from a ride less than a month after the purchase, the welds holding the seats to the post broke and they collapsed down, one on the next, breaking the welds on all three seats. We called DHMCO who contacted Bison and Bison paid for the seats to be remounted to the posts with additional bracing. Bison told us that was the first time they'd heard of this but were very easy to work with. We've been very happy with the trailer.

PS The trailer we bought is a Trail Express. I wouldn't hook it to less than a 1 ton though.

Edited by Lynn0202 2007-10-08 7:06 PM
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-10-08 7:24 PM (#69031 - in reply to #69028)

Veteran

Know what you mean about the saddles being really close together (especially Western). Luckily, I was able to rearrange them due to one being a plantation saddle without a horn!I had my dealer put in a swing out saddle rack for me. Works great since I'm not 6'0 and had to climb up in there to get them out and put them up!! Now they just swing out and makes my life much easier. Love my Bison.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)