'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
gooseneck regrets?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-26 4:28 PM
16 replies, 8279 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-01-19 12:02 PM (#97779)
Subject: gooseneck regrets?

Veteran

Has anyone switched to a gooseneck trailer and regretted it? I have a 99 Ford F-150 extended cab, 4x4 truck with 5.7 triton engine. I love my truck, don't want to do anything to harm it and just sold my bp trailer and am shopping for a "new to me" trailer. Will my 6 ft. truck bed be an issue? I have never used a gooseneck, but heard they are more stable and easier to haul. I am looking for a simple 2h trailer preferably straight load with tack room.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-01-19 12:05 PM (#97780 - in reply to #97779)
Subject: RE: gooseneck regrets?

Expert

I wouldn't go back to a BP unless I had no choice. They are simply better IMO- period. There are lots of folks hauling GN with 6ft beds, I did myself at one time but we favor a 8 ft bed in a truck so that what I have now. I have seen some people get into trouble if they turn really sharp causing the GN to crinkle the cab of the truck so I suppose I'd keep that in mind when contemplating a sharp turn ( and I mean really sharp as if you had to crank it around to park it etc)
Toranoda
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-01-19 12:35 PM (#97782 - in reply to #97779)

I, too, have had both and love the GN the most.  To me it is easier to pull, easier to turn as well as back. If given the option to change back to BP or stay with GN I would stay with GN.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-01-19 12:41 PM (#97783 - in reply to #97779)

Expert

We have both, but if I could only have one, I'd keep a gooseneck.  With your short bed, there are options if needed to help out there, a V shaped nose on the GN will be much better than a square front in your situation, both for fuel economy and for interference with the cab.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-19 12:50 PM (#97786 - in reply to #97783)

Expert

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2009-01-19 1:41 PM

We have both, but if I could only have one, I'd keep a gooseneck.  With your short bed, there are options if needed to help out there, a V shaped nose on the GN will be much better than a square front in your situation, both for fuel economy and for interference with the cab.

X2

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-01-19 1:04 PM (#97787 - in reply to #97779)

Extreme Veteran

I pulled a 16ft gooseneck stock type horse trailer with a 97 F150 with a 6ft bed for several years with NO problems.   The truck handled the trailer great.  The trailer was big enough for 3 horses but I usually only pulled one at a time.  Once or twice I did haul 3 horses but ONLY for short distances and I took extra care. I loved that truck and trailer but wanted to get a LQ.  Good luck on finding and using a gooseneck.  I think you will be pleased.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-01-19 1:07 PM (#97788 - in reply to #97779)

Extreme Veteran

Switched to a GN back in '03 and love it!  I won't go back to a BP.  Currently I only haul one horse and do some trail riding and camping. 

Make sure to check the towing specs/capacity of your '99 F150 before you get too far with this process.  You may not have the capability to handle the weight of a GN.

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-01-19 4:42 PM (#97798 - in reply to #97779)

Veteran

Goosenecks are great for stability and manuverablity.  I will never own a bumper pull again.  Just don't buy a square nose gooseneck with a 6ft bed.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-01-19 4:53 PM (#97799 - in reply to #97779)

Elite Veteran

After buying our LQ trailer we sold our small 5 foot shortwall LQ gooseneck and bought a 2 horse BP for day trips. That lasted a year for me. I like the back tack and the option to store tack, a small plug in fridge in the gooseneck dressing room.  And we are going to add an awning just for day rides when we want to eat lunch and then hit the trail again or somewhere to sit in between show classes. We ended up buying the exact same trailer we had without an LQ installed in it. And what hurts the most is that the shell cost almost as much as my original small LQ trailerr. But hindsight is 20/20.

I prefer goosenecks for ease of hauling, stability and more room in the horse compartment.

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-01-19 6:54 PM (#97807 - in reply to #97779)

Veteran

Good luck making a decision between BP and GN. I have one of each (2h bp and 4h slant GN wwith DR/LQ) and love each of them for different reasons. However, my two cents worth of thought is that if you're wanting a tack room bigger than about 2' long, I'd go with a gooseneck trailer. And if there is any chance of you wanting to turn your tack room into living quarters later on, I would definitely go with a gooseneck. But if you're just wanting a 2 horse trailer with 2' or less tack room for day trips, then a bumper pull would be fine.

As far as how much trailer can your truck pull/stop? I don't know enough to help you on that. My only advice is that it's *always* better to have more truck than trailer.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-01-20 4:55 AM (#97822 - in reply to #97798)

Elite Veteran

I have a 6ft bed on my F250. My trailer has basically a square front. I purchased a SB1 extender hitch and I can jack knife the trailer into any place without worry...The extender set the trailer back 9in. and I can still put my 65 water tank the bed without any interference...
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-20 6:56 AM (#97831 - in reply to #97822)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by mingiz on 2009-01-20 5:55 AM

I have a 6ft bed on my F250. My trailer has basically a square front. I purchased a SB1 extender hitch and I can jack knife the trailer into any place without worry...The extender set the trailer back 9in. and I can still put my 65 water tank the bed without any interference...

mingz, I was going to make the suggestion about hitch extenders and I'm glad you did and glad you are happy with it too. 

I agree with a previous post; that BP and GN trailers have a purpose.  I'm a contractor and have both BP and GN trailers for hauling equipment and materials to jobsites.  As for horse trailer, I prefer GN for all the reasons most of the previous posts stated.  I don't usually do 30 minute short trips with  my horses and I'm not usually hauling to a place that has limited area for parking or turning.  I'm thinking about starting a pony ride business for parties and if I do go that direction, it's going to be a small GN stock trailer.

deranger

Edited by deranger 2009-01-20 7:05 AM
headedforhome
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-20 9:08 AM (#97838 - in reply to #97779)

New User

No regrets whatsoever. I have a Chevy 1/2 ton 4WD with 6' bed, 5.7L, auto, in other words pretty comparable to what you have. The B&W hitch I had put in was apparently positioned perfectly on installation. I've had the truck turned under the GN, no problems. I pull a 94 Trailet 2H SL, 28', with 7' LQ, Trail-et's are aluminum with a fibreglass roof. The 2000 truck I have pulls it effortlessly, altho only 10 mpg when pulling (gas powered). Hope this helps.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-20 9:47 AM (#97841 - in reply to #97779)

Expert

We kept our 3 h BP after purchasing a GN with LQ. The smaller BP was more maneuverable and better handling/parking in the local shows we attended. With only a minimal DR, in comparison with the LQ, we soon appreciated the space and amenities the GN provided.

Our last BP had a box length of 18', for us a perfect sized 3 horse trailer. We found a GN with a weekender conversion LQ, that has the same length box. In the same floor space, we are now able to enjoy a private and sanitary bathroom, a comfortable living area with a queen bed, a large storage capacity, and all the appliances we need. Our tack is kept separately in its own area.

With our BP, we jackknifed the rig twice, damaging the trailer front and truck's bumper. Once was when the trailer slid sideways in the deep snow when we were backing, and once with the camper, when backing into a parking spot after dark. With the GN, these problems are alleviated.

Many people  have mentioned that the GN trailers pull better than the BP. I will agree that they behave perfectly in cross winds and when tractor trailers pass. They are consistently rock steady. I will also say that my BP trailers did the same. All my trailers have had torsion type axles, so I can't speak for the spring mounted axles on horse trailers. I consistanly use and have a great deal of knowledge, of the poor effects these springs have on loaded boat trailers.

Having traded one BP for the same size GN, I am very pleased with the extra room and features it offers. I have always had difficulties hooking a BP hitch by myself, where as the GN is a one shot deal, first time, every time.

I haven't noticed any difference in mileage between the two different loaded trailers, even though there is an unloaded weight difference of about 2k#. Our BP had biased ply Goodyears, the GN has new Bridgestone radials which results in less rolling resistance. This difference will sway the mileage results.

After owning three different BP trailers, I do like our two present GN trailers better, if only for the extra room and features. If it came down to purchasing a new BP, I would put the same funds into a used GN instead.

Gard

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-01-21 8:56 AM (#97924 - in reply to #97779)

Elite Veteran

My only suggestion would be to look carefully at your straight vs slant load question. In a 2H configuration in both GN and BP, many straight load trailers will have full escape doors and a tackroom with door in a 14' or so box. The door placement pushes the axles all the way to the rear resulting in a heavier percentage of tongue weight than you might expect. A well designed slant load will often not have an escape door thus allowing the axles to be positioned further forward and resulting in a more typical weight distribution. Over the years, we have had customers who were satisfied with their 1/2T truck and 2H slant, switch to a straight to accomodate a larger horse. Given the tongue weight & the 7'6" height of most straight loads (read- extra wind resistance that you will notice) they were not near as happy with their truck's pulling ability anymore, even with only 1 horse. But looking at only actual loaded weights, the two look very similar. Just my .02$
RTSmith
www.SelectTrailer.com
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-01-24 9:01 PM (#98163 - in reply to #97779)

Extreme Veteran

I had a 2H straightload BP, then went to a 3H GN then a 2H GN and now have a 2H GN with LQ.  I love my GN trailer.  I would not get a straightload though... I think it's easier to haul a safer load with one horse in a slantload.  I hauled my one horse that way for years, usually in the front stall unless I was travelling across the country.  Long distance travel required me to put hay bales, grain, portable corral, buckets, etc in the first stall.  Kind of hard to move that out of the way to unload so horse goes in the back stall when I go long distances.  The only noticable difference was a more stable ride, and a little tighter cornering with the GN...  ie, don't cut your corners too close or you will be jumping curbs haha (don't ask :)  Also gotta be more careful pulling into the gas station!

Edited by cowgirl98034 2009-01-24 9:03 PM
buttercup
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-01-26 4:28 PM (#98276 - in reply to #97779)

We switched from an 18' BP to a 24' GN and found the GN to be great on the hwy but when trying to negotiate narrow windy back roads, it was more of a hindrance since they don't follow exactly in the wheels of the truck. Also when on icy, or muddy slippery roads, they take on a life of their own as with a BP, you can put anti-sway bars on and you have a lot more control. GN trailers are a lot easier to back up and jacknife in a tighter area though and having the GN area for sleeping in is a real plus.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)