'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Right turn signal not working on new trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-18 6:24 PM
16 replies, 13561 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-03 9:28 PM (#96864)
Subject: Right turn signal not working on new trailer

Regular

When I hauled home my new trailer a month ago, all the lights worked fine. I've been gone a lot and so it's just been sitting there, and when I finally hitched it up again, the right blinker doesn't work. Left one works fine. I'm assuming it's just a bulb--where would I buy one? And how do I know what kind to buy? I could easily get the bulb assembly out of the trailer, but I don't see a way to get the bulb out of the lens/back assembly. There is a connector which pulls out of the assembly though. On trailers, do you typically replace the whole light assembly, or dismantle it and remove the bulb?  If it turns out to be some wiring problem and not just the bulb, would you expect that to be a warranty item? By the way, it's a new Titan 2H BP.

Thanks! Sorry for asking what many of you might think is a silly question--I'm a complete newbie at horse-hauling. For cars/trucks, I can just go to AutoZone and ask for the right lightbulb, but for the trailer I'm at a loss. But I have now hitched, backed and parked the new trailer twice, and have given my horse some loading lessons. I'm on my way! (Much practice at trailer-backin still needed though.)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-01-03 10:10 PM (#96866 - in reply to #96864)
Subject: RE: Right turn signal not working on new trailer

Expert

I assume the rest of the running lights are working fine and the lights on the truck are fine until you hook up, but your right turn and brake on the trailer is not?

If so you can either call your dealer and tell him and 99% of the time they will send you a new light.  The lights on that trailer are a sealed unit and the complete light must be replaced.  If for some reason the dealer will not send you a new light, go to Autozone or Wal Mart and buy 2 new LED replacements, the cost is a little more but the lights are brighter and will last longer.  The best part is they will plug right into your wiring that is on the trailer.  simple as pie!

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-04 7:45 AM (#96880 - in reply to #96864)

Elite Veteran

I kept having trouble with my turn signals not working..one or the other. or my trailer brakes not grabbing.... Finally I realized that I was not getting a good connection with my plug, no matter how solidly I tried to seat the plug in its socket... Used some "electrical grease" (proper name?) and now I have a reliable current to ALL of my brake lights, brakes, and blinkers,  
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-04 10:23 AM (#96884 - in reply to #96864)

Expert

As Ridingarocky suggested, it may be your trailer's plug that isn't making a connection. If both, your right turn indicator and the right brake lights are inoperative, it could be either the bulb or a bad connection.

Before you purchase a new light assembly, it would be a simple matter to check the light assembly's plug with a multi meter to determine if there is any voltage present. With your indicator operating, the voltage will pulse, with someone holding the brake pedal, it will be constant.

Dialectic grease works well on trailer electrical plugs for a couple of reasons: The grease part is a lubricant, which lessens the mechanical wear between the pins and sockets of the plug, when one is inserted into another. This lessens the gap between the components, and maintains the conductivity over time. The grease also coats the metal parts, lessening the affects of water damage in the way of corrosion.

If the grease is applied to new components once or twice a year, they will in all likely hood, last as long as your ownership of the truck, as they have with mine. If it is used on worn components, it can reduce some of the corrosive affects and sometimes restore the electrical connection. It is a case where preventative maintenance is cheaper in the long run.

BOL  Gard

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-04 12:39 PM (#96905 - in reply to #96864)

Veteran

check the ground wire

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
DoubleDTrailers.com

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-04 5:04 PM (#96916 - in reply to #96864)

Regular

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had thought of using a test light or multimeter to check I had juice at the truck connector, but hadn't thought of removing the trailer light assembly to see if I had juice there. Good idea! Would I get the dielectric grease at Autozone? Also, DDTrailerman, could you clarify what you mean by "check the ground wire"? Sorry, I don't even know what ground wire you are talking about. :)
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-04 7:50 PM (#96928 - in reply to #96864)

Expert

You can also obtain dielectric grease at most hardware and big box stores. It is usually sold in the electrical department. A small tube cost about $1.00 and will last many years.

The lights on a metal trailer are usually individually grounded to the skin by the light base. Some lights have a dual wire plug, in which one lead goes to ground. The trailer is grounded to your truck by a separate wire in your plug. Usually if the trailer ground wire is defective, most of your lights will experience problems, instead of just one. Your multi meter will quickly help determine where your problem exists.

Gard

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-04 8:02 PM (#96929 - in reply to #96864)

Regular

Thanks!
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 8:19 AM (#96943 - in reply to #96864)

Check the ground on that one light. Lots of times the tail lights are grounded with a simple pop rivet and they do not maintain a good connection. And while doing that, you can also check for power there.

If it does not have power, check the plug on the truck. You can minimize the area that you need to look for the issue.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 10:09 AM (#96947 - in reply to #96864)

Expert

Checking the ground would be a good start IF any of the tail light, turn and brake light was not working at all on that side, but the original post said something about the turn lamp was not working, so I assume the running light was working which would eliminate the ground being the problem since there is one ground wire going to the lamp.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 10:20 AM (#96948 - in reply to #96947)

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2009-01-05 10:09 AM

Checking the ground would be a good start IF any of the tail light, turn and brake light was not working at all on that side, but the original post said something about the turn lamp was not working, so I assume the running light was working which would eliminate the ground being the problem since there is one ground wire going to the lamp.

Not assuming anything, if you have the light out anyway, check the ground. Better safe than sorry. I have seen every light working on a trailer until you flipped on the turn signal and then every light on the trailer blinked. Cause? Bad ground at the light. Try finding that one when you are hooked up ready to go and in a hurry. I was looking for a short to cause it, until I sat down and thought it through. Even after that, I was sure it was the ground on the truck causing it. Better safe than sorry...check the ground.

trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 12:00 PM (#96953 - in reply to #96864)

Regular

Another possibility...Check the fuse box on your truck for that trailer lite circuit. They blow easily and the right & left blinkers are on separate circuits in the fuse box.

Edited by trguy4820 2009-01-05 12:02 PM
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-01-05 2:38 PM (#96968 - in reply to #96864)

Expert

Some trailer lights have a thin ring that holds the colored lense over the light assembly. The ring will not be a complete circle, there is a gap in it. If you see this on the lense, you need to squeeze the 2 ends of the ring towards each other and pull the ring out.  Then pull the lense off to get to where the bulb is.

There are special tools for this,but I have a set of what I call "dentist tools" that I bought in an auto-parts store. They seem to work okay for getting behind the ring and popping it out.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-01-05 3:09 PM (#96970 - in reply to #96864)

Expert

Didn't you buy a Titan brand trailer?

I've had trouble with the RH signal going out. Check your stall interior light. If it isn't working either, the problem is in the junction box behind the left brake/turn signal assembly.

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 8:02 PM (#96996 - in reply to #96864)

Regular

Yes, it's a Titan 2H. I had not checked the stall interior light as you mentioned, but I will. Gabz, are you saying I'll see that junction box if I remove the left taillight?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I haven't taken the truck out there (to where the trailer is) again yet, but when I do in the next day or two, I'll try all these suggestions and let you all know what, if anything, I figure out.  

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-01-06 2:58 PM (#97062 - in reply to #96996)

Expert

No, there's no "junction box"... there is a hole in the outer wall of the trailer near the left tailight/turn signal where the left light wires go. Pull out the wires from there and check all your connections.

If you have the interior light switch below the left tail light, that's what corroded and started my problems. I replaced the switch once, then took it to a trailer dealer who put a rubberized switch and a junction box there.

Your problem might be different, but I guess it's a start, eh?  I also have trouble with my electrical connection and the right side light. I have to play with it. It was suggested that I apply a coating of Dielectric grease to my connections between the trailer and the truck. 

I might ALSO have some trouble with my connector from the trailer to the truck. It might not be really good - as the cable was yanked out of the plug by the delivery guy when it was delivered at the dealership and they had to cut it a bit shorter to repair it. grrrr...  But that's a separate issue.

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-18 6:24 PM (#97726 - in reply to #96864)

Regular

Dielectric grease did the trick! Thank you all!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)