'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Priced a conversion-- Now I see why people do it themselves...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-15 4:51 PM
16 replies, 4960 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-11 3:59 PM (#94704)
Subject: Priced a conversion-- Now I see why people do it themselves...

Veteran

Ouch! Now I get it. I'm in the process of getting a new Hart with a 5 foot dressing room up front. I called and got a bid on having it insulated and trimmed. I asked him to not go extravagant just some type of paneling and then carpet up in the goose neck. $7000.00! Yep, and that's no plumbing or wiring at all. Ok, what if I just have it insulated and have them do the fur strips? $4500.00. This is basically only a dressing room, it just seems like a lot.The trailer is going to be about $30K before all is said and done so I hate to pay out another 5 to 7 grand on top of that. If I can't find a company that's cheaper I think I will do the work myself. I have a nice workshop and I'm a good builder so I'm sure with the help of this site I will be fine. I was just hoping to be lazy and have someone else do it. :)Are these conversion companies making a killing or is it that time consuming to do?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-11 4:09 PM (#94706 - in reply to #94704)
Subject: RE: Priced a conversion-- Now I see why people do it themselves...

Expert

Sounds like you need to call around on a price on both.  Unless it is a large trailer, 30-k sounds high for a 5' shell trailer.  Around here 10 o 12' shell 3 horse trailers are right around that price. (4 Star, Bloomer, Elite, Platinum, only one I did not price was a Hart)

Depending on what you are wanting inside,  I just done our 2' short wall S&H steel trailer insualation, wood walls and ceiling and 2 lights for around 200. bucks.  But we did not want anything fancy just something to make it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter to change.  Fixing to add a cabinet from Lowes in the nose and the cost is around 60. bucks for a complete setup, then  I will clear it or stain it like the walls. 

If you was around Texas there is a couple of companies that does small jobs like you are interested in.  Bunkhouse Conversions is one of them, check out their website it has prices and options listed.

Edited by hogtownboss 2008-11-11 4:18 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-11 4:16 PM (#94710 - in reply to #94704)

Expert

You can do the same job yourself for about $500; paneling, insulation, carpeting and basic wiring.

Edited by gard 2008-11-11 4:27 PM
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-11 5:03 PM (#94717 - in reply to #94704)

Veteran

Yea, looks like I will do it myself. I'm really a perfectionist anyway so I think I would be better off. Two questions, 1. I'm going to use Tongue and Groove to finish it, could I attach this to the fur strips with an industrial glue and a compressor brad nailer, or would I need to use screws? The reason I ask is the trailer will have a certain amount of movement to it going down rough roads and such, I would not want the wood to get loose over time. 2. Originally I was going to use pine but I was just over on Home Depots site and I saw they carry a cedar tongue and groove as well. Would cedar work better or might it be too strong in that confined space??? Also, do you think the cedar might be too dark?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-11 9:41 PM (#94731 - in reply to #94704)

Expert

If you screw two boards together and subject them to movement, the screw hole will elongate and loosen the joint. If you use a polyurethane construction adhesive, it will allow some give, even though the joint will be stronger than the wood itself. Using a pneumatic pin nailer on the tongue to hold the boards in place until the glue sets, would eliminate the sight of any fasteners. It is also a less expensive and time consuming construction process.

Pine and Cedar are similar in strengths, with the White Cedar being slightly lighter and having a softer face. Also if you work with NE white Cedar, the colour will be similar as well. The Red Cedar will vary in colour form a deep Mahogany to a white sap wood.

I purchased a large lot of Western Red Cedar a month and a half ago, and the board foot price was almost four times that of #2 White Pine. Pine can easily be stained any colour you choose, so the value for the additional cost for White Cedar is questionable.

Any of the three woods would make a very attractive interior, and are easily worked with common wood working tools.

BOL  Gard

dallye
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-11 11:23 PM (#94732 - in reply to #94704)

keep in mind that when you start putting in electrical, that it may not be up to state code.  Many states require certain state approved seals to be put on the trailer.  I'm sure that you are capible of doing a good job, but after market living quarters tend to have a lower re-sale value.  I know in Oregon you have to have the seal, and no living quarter can be sold on a dealerships lot without it, I have even seen RV inspectors red flag trailers without them. 
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-12 2:14 AM (#94736 - in reply to #94731)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-11-11 9:41 PM

If you screw two boards together and subject them to movement, the screw hole will elongate and loosen the joint. If you use a polyurethane construction adhesive, it will allow some give, even though the joint will be stronger than the wood itself. Using a pneumatic pin nailer on the tongue to hold the boards in place until the glue sets, would eliminate the sight of any fasteners.

Sounds good, thats what I will do. Does a 1x6x8 board sound about right? The little nail going into the tongue will have to go at an angle through the tongue then into the 1x2 fur strip. How long of a nail should I use in the gun? Will the construction adhesive be enough to fasten the fur stripping to the goose deck and floor and wall under the goose deck, or would you recommend I screw into the 1x2 stripping from under (outside going in) as Red Wrench and others have done? Maybe a few screws will be needed to hold it while it dries-- I may have answered my own question... In an other post I heard you say that both sides of the tongue and groove need to be sealed, can one buy it already sealed or do you just lay it out on the shop floor and spray both sides before any cuts are made? If I go with cedar do I need to seal it at all? Thanks for all your help!!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-12 9:24 AM (#94744 - in reply to #94704)

Expert

Most furring strips are a little less than 3/4" thick; adding to it the width of the tongue, and its off set of the finished materials, you should be able to use a nail of a 1 1/4" length.

The urethane adhesive is strong enough to hold the goose flooring in place without mechanical fasteners. If you do use screws, do not use any steel or especially galvanized products into the aluminum. Stainless is the best.

If you plan on a finish for wood surface, do coat the backside as well. Spraying is an excellent process, and the individual cuts can be touched up with a brush later. The reason for coating all of the surfaces, is the absorption of moisture. If only the front surface is coated, water vapor will not penetrate to any extent. On the untreated backside, the water vapor will penetrate and the wood will swell. This uneven absorption will cause one surface of the wood to swell and not the other. The individual boards will then cup towards the finished surface.

Cedar and Pine are very porous and soft materials. Unsurfaced, they will absorb any airborne odors (body, cooking etc), water moisture which will allow expansion and contraction, and the surface will be susceptible to abrasion and splintering. They will also be susceptible to stains and dirt. The Cedar, especially, will constantly give off an odor, which if you are sensitive to allergies, can be an irritant. An oil based polyurethane satin varnish, will result in a very pleasant finish, that's both durable and good looking. It will take three coats to completely seal, and fill to smooth, the front surface of the Cedar. You will have to sand after the first coating, before the second and third coatings are applied. Pine can usually be surfaced with two varnish applications for a satin finish.

Most pre made tongue and grove Cedar boards are only available in 1 x 6 widths. Some speciality yards can get 1 x 4" widths which would work well in curved wall or ceiling applications. If you have a router and a table with a fence, you can fabricate your own tonge and grove boards, of any width as necessary.

My original estimation of the cost of a DR interior did not include the cost of Cedar materials. It including the pricing of pre made 4' x 8' paneling. This project could easily double my original estimate.

BOL  Gard

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-12 11:14 AM (#94751 - in reply to #94704)

Veteran

I think I will go with a knotty pine. With the finish it will look good and the lighter color will look nice in the small space. If Im not going to use screws on the goose floor do I even need any stripping? Would it work to simply glue the foam board to the aluminum them glue the plywood to that? When you fasten the stripping to the short wall under the goose do you not use screws there either?
GoinCrazy
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-13 7:48 PM (#94857 - in reply to #94704)

New User

I did my own, using the tongue & groove paneling. I used finished nails to secure the wood to the strips and it's worked out great. I'm about 80% finished (hot Tx summer slowed me down), but I've used it a lot and it's held up well....

Mine is a 4' SW with shower, sink, fridge, cabinets, etc. The paneling is one of my favorite features. I just need to get off my duff and finish it before next year.

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-13 11:17 PM (#94866 - in reply to #94704)

Veteran

Four foot straight wall? You got a lot of stuff in there. Thats another thing I need to decide on before they send in this order, do I want a four or a five foot SW. Five will take a foot away from the horses but that where i am leaning.
GoinCrazy
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-14 7:08 PM (#94906 - in reply to #94866)

New User

4' SW, slant not straight.

It's cramped a little, but it serves all my purposes and I utilized all the space I could.

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-15 4:46 AM (#94921 - in reply to #94704)

Veteran

Do you get more space with a slant than you would with a straight?
Mandi
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-11-15 9:23 AM (#94930 - in reply to #94704)

Charter Member

Probably so.

My short wall is 4' long. My long wall is 8' long. There's diagrams in my album.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=138&currentpos=1

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-15 9:41 AM (#94932 - in reply to #94704)

Expert

If you want to get an idea of what will fit into a small space, look at the want add photos in HTW. A four foot slant wall LQ is commonly called a "weekender". It can easily include a bathroom with a separate shower, kitchenette, cook top, fridge, microwave, hot water heater, storage cabinets, heater, water tank, air etc.

It will easily be comfortable for a couple of people for a couple of days.

Gard

Mandi
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-11-15 11:47 AM (#94936 - in reply to #94704)

Charter Member

Mine would be more comfortable for more people if I didn't decide to add extra cabinets in the nose area decreasing the width of the bed. Since my trailer is only a 3 horse and I always haul at least two with me, people rarely haul with me if I'm staying overnight (and most of my friends have larger LQ's anyhow). Hubby can't go because he's gotta stay behind and care for all the other critters at the house. I need storage because I try to always be prepared (so I pack way too much) AND I can't stand clutter - so everything has to have "a spot". LOL
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-15 4:51 PM (#94944 - in reply to #94704)

Veteran

Gard (or anyone else who might know), Is the top of a Hart crowned or is it a flat ceiling? If its crowned I need to rethink what type of wood Im going to use, tongue and groove might be tough to make look right without A LOT of work. Another type of final sheeting might be easier on that part of the project.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)