'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
If it was you....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-10 6:02 AM
16 replies, 5163 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-02-05 12:20 PM (#116174)
Subject: If it was you....

Custom ordering a trailer...would you get a price from several different dealers on building you that trailer? Does one company have more 'wiggle" room than another...or, on a custom order is the price from the factory standard and everyone has to add the same amount of mark up?I sure wouldn't want to offend one dealer or the other...yet having said that, i am sure we all want the most for our money?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-05 12:28 PM (#116175 - in reply to #116174)
Subject: RE: If it was you....

Expert

Not only price the same trailer from multiple dealers, but price the same trailer from different manufacturers as well. You will find a wide disparity in pricing for similar products.
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-02-05 12:46 PM (#116177 - in reply to #116174)

Veteran

Getting a price from several dealers is fine, if price is what you are concerned with.  You will also need to take into count that service comes into play.  If you have a local dealer and you buy out of state, that dealer has no obligation to service you.  Since the out of state dealer won't ever see you again to take care of those little things that aren't covered, they can afford to shoot you a lower price.  If the dealer is worth his salt, you won't be able to get the best price until you actually show up.

That doesn't apply if you are in an area where there is no local dealer.  Then you can shop around without fear of "bad feelings".

Also, when getting prices, make sure that you are getting the same product.  Sometimes they will drop an option just to show you a better price.  You might want to get the "Total delivered price" not just the price on the unit.

I notice that you are in Canada.  If you are buying in the states you will also need to factor in the costs of getting the unit back into Canada.  If you are financing, you will have to pay the GST out of pocket when you get back.

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-02-05 1:07 PM (#116178 - in reply to #116174)

Thank you..Yes, i have taken all the taxes etc into account. There are no dealers here..or even close...but i am buying an excellent brand of trailer so i don't see too many issues in the future. I also have a list of exactly what i want..so there is no fear of getting corners cut. The price I have does not include delivery..and that is a huge hit as well. Then there is always the exchange. I felt it was rude to shop around...but perhaps on this dollar amount, it will be very worthwhile.Thank you all for the replies
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-02-05 3:47 PM (#116184 - in reply to #116174)

Expert

Rude to shop around? Since when? I bet those dealers shop around for office supplies,cleaning services,insurance quotes...why shouldn't you shop around for the best bang for your buck? I want to get quote from at least 3 dealers on the same basic trailer- then its up to you.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-02-05 5:50 PM (#116185 - in reply to #116178)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by spinnylena on 2010-02-05 1:07 PM

Thank you..Yes, i have taken all the taxes etc into account. There are no dealers here..or even close...but i am buying an excellent brand of trailer so i don't see too many issues in the future. I also have a list of exactly what i want..so there is no fear of getting corners cut. The price I have does not include delivery..and that is a huge hit as well. Then there is always the exchange. I felt it was rude to shop around...but perhaps on this dollar amount, it will be very worthwhile.Thank you all for the replies

I think if a particulaer dealer has gone above and beyond helping you and maybe keeping you from making some mistakes then some loyalty is warranted. I would still shop to keep them honest but I would not sell them down the river.

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-02-05 6:28 PM (#116188 - in reply to #116174)

I agree Laurie...having been a salesperson myself, i do want to be loyal and will be. But, having said that, if you don't do a bit of shopping, they can charge you whatever they want.I'll see what numbers i come up with..and if the difference is very little, you can be sure i go back where i started!
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-02-05 9:49 PM (#116195 - in reply to #116174)

Extreme Veteran

Definitely shop around. The way I see it if they are offended by you shopping around then they aren't giving you the best deal that they can. Shop different manufactures and dealers. If it's a custom build you need to have some sort of drawing and options list to get an apples to apples comparison. When I was shopping for my trailer I made sure I let them know I was shopping for the best deal and at several brands of trailers.
LAZYJ10
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-02-06 3:49 PM (#116218 - in reply to #116174)

New User

Why buy from a dealer try looking at factroy direct look at this site www.lazyjhorsetrailers.com we own one of these trailers, we have owned other trailers and found Trail Rider to be a high quality unit, and the price is about half of what you would pay for the high end trailers, I have been to the factroy on six occassions and have had some hands on experience with the manufacturing of these units.
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-02-06 5:28 PM (#116222 - in reply to #116218)

Veteran

Originally written by LAZYJ10 on 2010-02-06 4:49 PM

Why buy from a dealer try looking at factroy direct look at this site http://www.lazyjhorsetrailers.com/ we own one of these trailers, we have owned other trailers and found Trail Rider to be a high quality unit, and the price is about half of what you would pay for the high end trailers, I have been to the factroy on six occassions and have had some hands on experience with the manufacturing of these units.

Well, Mr. Phil Johnson, I would hope that you have been to the factory more than 6 times considering that this is YOUR website!!  Since it is your company I would expect you to own your product and claim it to be high quality.  I prefer to hear from unbiased owners who do not have a financial gain for promoting their trailers.

LAZYJ10
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-02-06 6:15 PM (#116225 - in reply to #116174)

New User

Sorry Pinkmouse, I do not own the company I have bought two trailers from them over the past five years, I was very impressed with them so I became a factroy rep they are a small company about 200 trailers a year I have owned other trailers over the years two exiss I am retried and spend a lot of time riding and camping and can say this is the best trailer I have owned I would not rep something I did not beleave in, Trail Rider set up the web site, I am sorry if I mislead you. Thanks Phil

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-02-07 8:42 PM (#116251 - in reply to #116174)

Think i have made a choice......i think i am getting a Bloomer. I loved the 4 Star...but LOVE the Bloomers more!
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-02-08 11:19 AM (#116259 - in reply to #116174)

Veteran

What features does the Bloomer have that you prefer?  I have been looking at 4Stars as well.......
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-02-08 7:12 PM (#116283 - in reply to #116174)

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-02-08 7:17 PM (#116284 - in reply to #116174)

I really did like the 4 Star and it seemed like a very well built trailer...the thing I ( personally) didn't like about it were the bars in the drop down feed doors. They are attached to the window and when the window is down, the point into the horse area leaving a gap on the top and sides. I know this may not be a problem for most, i just personally didn't like it. Also, i liked the construction of the floor better on the Bloomer. Again, nothing against the 4 Star...just personal preference.
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-02-08 8:09 PM (#116286 - in reply to #116174)

Veteran

I don't think you'll be disappointed in your decision.  I just bought a Bloomer last summer and one of the things I really like about it is the way the head side doors work.  The windows are lightweight and easy to use.  You can also open the doors and have full access to the horses.  We no longer have doors falling open while going down the road because my wife or daughter didn't get the heavy one piece doors closed all the way.  Platinum, 4star and Elite are all excellent trailers in my opinion, but Bloomer has some unique features that I truly like.  Some say they're overpriced, but if you truly look at all the options, they're all priced fairly even.  Kinda depends on what you want.
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-10 6:02 AM (#116347 - in reply to #116185)

Regular

Originally written by laurie on 2010-02-05 6:50 PM

Originally written by spinnylena on 2010-02-05 1:07 PM

I think if a particulaer dealer has gone above and beyond helping you and maybe keeping you from making some mistakes then some loyalty is warranted. I would still shop to keep them honest but I would not sell them down the river.

The way I handle that as a consumer is if price is critical to me, I don't let one dealer provide all of that outstanding service. I spend around on products where I intend to shop around.This may just be a crutch for me and my nature of loyalty, but if you are comparing dealers who both provide excellent service then it's all good. It's not fair in my mind to compare a dealer with little service (low overhead costs) to a full service dealer with the staff to go the extra mile.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)