'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
OtT - E85 & Wal-mart

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-16 3:34 PM
15 replies, 4375 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 9:26 AM (#46268)
Subject: OtT - E85 & Wal-mart

Regular

Since there are some really smart people on here....what engine's will burn this?  Regular gas engines?  Will it make your engine go Ping, Ping, Ping?

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/08/news/companies/pluggedin_gunther.fortune/index.htm?cnn=yes

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 11:13 AM (#46285 - in reply to #46268)
Subject: RE: OtT - E85 & Wal-mart

Extreme Veteran

I don't know about the technical issues, but I'm certianly in favor of this! Everyone should send email to Wal-Mart and support the idea.

-Betty
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-09 11:53 AM (#46289 - in reply to #46285)

Regular

I'm not an expert on E-85, but know just a little. It is for gas "type" engines, not diesel. Not all gasoline engines can run on E85, but there are SOME cars that have been made for roughly the last 5 years that can run on E85 or gasoline interchangeably. These are mainly american made vehicles, but there are a some imports too, like the Nissan Titan. Please note even with models designed to run on E85, not every single vehicle of that make/model can run on E85, for example SOME 2005 Chevy Suburabans can use it, and some can not. You need to check your owners manual to be sure.

Also note you will get lower gas mileage with E85 as it has less energy per gallon than gasoline. I think on average they get 20-30% less mileage than with straight gas.

Lastly, while it is a step in a better direction, E85 is not a complete solution all of our oil problems. Current E85 is produced from mainly corn. There is not enough land in the US to grow enough corn to support all of our gasoline needs. So... even if the cost of E85 is low now, as demand goes up the price is going to go up due to limited supply. Luckily there are other organic sources (like certain grasses) other than corn that may increase our domestic supply.

I think it is a good thing, but certainly not the Panacea that some would want you to believe.

Here is a site with a good summary of cars that can use E85
http://e85vehicles.com/

Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 12:12 PM (#46293 - in reply to #46268)

Regular

Thanks Flush for the E85 web site.  Really interesting.  I think that in the coming year's, there will be plenty of E85.  If the auto maker's and government will allow it.

My car isn't on the list.  I'm not about to get rid of it.  It's paid for and has less than 35,000 miles on it.  I think if E85 becomes available in my area, I'll be looking into converting. 

Edited by Lobo 2006-08-09 12:14 PM
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-09 12:41 PM (#46296 - in reply to #46293)

Regular

Originally written by Lobo on 2006-08-09 12:12 PM

Thanks Flush for the E85 web site.  Really interesting.  I think that in the coming year's, there will be plenty of E85.  If the auto maker's and government will allow it.

My car isn't on the list.  I'm not about to get rid of it.  It's paid for and has less than 35,000 miles on it.  I think if E85 becomes available in my area, I'll be looking into converting. 

I would encourage you to do some research before you make that switch. Currently in many areas E85 is already more expensive than gasoline and that is BEFORE you factor in you are going to get ~30% less mileage. So it may actually cost you more.

In addition, it is really not 100% better for the environment if you look at the big picture. What comes out your tailpipe may be cleaner, but it takes a lot of energy (like the tractor emmisions for example) to create Ethanol from corn. Not to mention the biggest issue which is when you put the HUGE areas of land needed into corn production you will be doing a lot of environmental damage. Corn fields may be green and pretty at first glance, but they are NOT good for all of the native plants and animals that used to live there. Some people could care less about that stuff, but to me it is a pretty important. I have no problem with farming, but if we do it on the scale required to support even half the current gasoline need, you will need to completely change the face of much of our great country. Like most things, there needs to be some sort of balance.

Overall I am very much on the fence about corn based E85. Unfortunately it is a very political issue, so much of the "data" you find is coming from a biases source and it is a slightly difficult to get the straight facts.

-Flush

Edited by Flush 2006-08-09 12:43 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 1:10 PM (#46298 - in reply to #46296)

Expert

I'm no expert on anything, but if you balance the growing of corn with the pumping/refining of oil I would bet it balances out fairly well.  What would you prefer to look at, acres and acres of oil wells or corn fields?  If a tanker of corn tips over there would be lots of happy fish/birds instead of lots of dead ones.  Corn may not be the be all to end all, but I think it is a good start and since prices are high either way,  I would rather pay for the corn than to send my money overseas for oil. 

I wish walmart would start carrying bio-deisel.  No one around here sells it.

Edited by Terri 2006-08-09 1:13 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-08-09 1:30 PM (#46300 - in reply to #46296)

Expert

[

In addition, it is really not 100% better for the environment if you look at the big picture. What comes out your tailpipe may be cleaner, but it takes a lot of energy (like the tractor emmisions for example) to create Ethanol from corn. Not to mention the biggest issue which is when you put the HUGE areas of land needed into corn production you will be doing a lot of environmental damage. Corn fields may be green and pretty at first glance, but they are NOT good for all of the native plants and animals that used to live there. Some people could care less about that stuff, but to me it is a pretty important. I have no problem with farming, but if we do it on the scale required to support even half the current gasoline need, you will need to completely change the face of much of our great country. Like most things, there needs to be some sort of balance.

-Flush

I can't believe that any clear thinking AMERICAN, can say that buying oil from the ragheads is better than using this great lands resources for growing corn to make E85.

That you are worried about the native plants and animals that would be affected by large areas of corn concerns me. I say if we can wean ourselves from buying any oil from the mid-east we need to do so. We don't need to buy oil from folks that would just as soon see us dead.

I say bring on the vast corn fields to make all the E85 and Biodiesel that we can possible make, it puts the farmers back in the fields and hopefully the military kids back in our homes.

Nothing but good can come from us trying to use our own resources to eliminate the need for overseas oil. If that misplaces a rabbit or two than so be it.

Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-09 2:52 PM (#46304 - in reply to #46268)

Regular

Well, like I said this is a very political issue. If you would read my posts I never once said I think it is a better choice to buy foreign oil than to produce E85.

What I did say is that E85 from corn is not completely environmentally friendly. Being better for the environment (in terms of emmissions) is one of the big claims of E85 supportors, but they often forget to tell the whole story.

Whether or not the environment is more important than being dependant on foreign oil is not a topic I brought up. It is too complex and politically charged.  Further, it appears there may be much more effecient approaches to E85 than corn, one is switchgrass. If we you can get off foreign oil AND make a much smaller impact on the land, that is what I am in favor of. I won't blindly agree to turning most of our un-populated land into corn fields because the corn growers convienently forget to mention how ineffecient corn is compared to other sources.  

HWBar,

The fact that you refer to all people from all of our oil producing sources as "ragheads", and that you think converting 50% of this countries land area into cornfields will only "displace a rabbit or two" tells me all I need to know about you sir. Your "comments" will no longer be dignified by a response from me.

-Flush

Edited by Flush 2006-08-09 2:56 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-08-09 7:10 PM (#46316 - in reply to #46268)

Expert

Flush was from So. Cal, I guess you didn't want to seem such a liberal tree hugger so you changed that to Colorado. I don't care if you ever respond to me, I enjoy talking with people of reason, rather than people with liberal ideology.  As you can see I am from a place where we have found another good use for CORN.

Edited by HWBar 2006-08-09 7:13 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 7:34 PM (#46318 - in reply to #46304)

Expert

corn, switch grass. Whats the difference, either way the land will have to be farmed and animals will not be welcomed on the crops.
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-09 8:43 PM (#46323 - in reply to #46318)

Regular

Terri, the difference is that it takes much much less switchgrass in terms of acreage to get same same gallons of E85. So in other words instead of having to switch every square inch of farmable land in the country (which obviously isn't feasible anyway) to corn, you would only need to have some smaller percentage in swithcgrass, which means you can still produce FOOD. I am not making this up, do some research, if we tried to cover all our oil needs with corn, we would need to outsourch produce because all suitable ag lands would have to be in Corn. Not to mention corn is way less cost effective. The environmental aspect is only one little aspect about corn based E85 that makes it less than ideal. Please do some research on this. Corn based E85 is great in some moderate levels, but it simply will never work as a complete replacement for all of our oil needs, that is all I am trying to saying.

I do find it funny being accused of being liberal. I guess you can't give a hoot about the environment with out being a liberal, or maybe if you live in CA you must be a liberal? I love stereotypes. The irony is that I moved to Colorado because I am a hunting maniac and couldn't stand the liberal nature of CA's laws. I have been accused of being a redneck, but never liberal, my hunting buddies willl love that. Interestingly I spend a whole lot of time hunting pheasants, which usually thrive were there is corn. Funny, I still don't think corn based E85 is the perfect solution, but what do I know, I don't think it's cool to be racist, must be the lefty PC stuff I picked up in CA.

Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-08-10 12:02 PM (#46353 - in reply to #46268)

Regular

Oh, I really don't think we'll have to tear up every acre of flat land to grow corn.  Just put quota's on export's.  The countries that corn is exported to will just have to find an alternative sugar, oil and animal feed. 

I'm also have faith that there are research center's looking for different material's to make E85. 

As for the cost, well, what's the difference between paying $5 a gallon for E85 or gasoline/diesel.  At least my dollar's will be staying in the US and maybe, just maybe, won't see ADM posting billion dollar per quarter profit's.

I'm also in favor of wind farm's and solar panel's.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-08-14 10:28 AM (#46552 - in reply to #46268)

Extreme Veteran

I sent email to Wal-Mart is support of E85 and Bio-Diesel and this is the response I got, so there might be a chance that they will sell Bio-Diesel.

Thank you for your message.

At Wal-Mart, we believe we can be a successful business and a responsible steward of the environment. As such, we're committed to finding more ways to utilize renewable energy in our stores, CLUBS and distribution centers, and throughout our supply chain. We're also using our position
in the marketplace to facilitate the continued development of markets
for environmentally preferable products and technologies. Our efforts
are helping to expand the market for and encourage the use of alternative transportation fuels. At the same time we are enhancing the energy security of the United States, providing greater choice for our customers
and helping create jobs here in the United States.

To promote alternative fuels, we are taking a number of important
steps:

As a significant retail vendor of gasoline, SAM'S CLUB is investing
our resources into the necessary research, development and equipment
that will enable us to bring alternative fuels such as E85 to a wide
cross section of our millions of customers per week;

As the owner and operator of one of the largest private truck fleets
and an integrated network of distribution centers in the country,
Wal-Mart is actively exploring the use of biodiesel, hydrogen and "green technologies" to enhance the environmental footprint and efficiency of our operations;

This year, Wal-Mart will launch the Alternative Fuels Sustainable Value
Network to develop ongoing relationships with thought-leaders from the
fuels industry, our suppliers, government, non-governmental
organizations and academia. The Alternative Fuels Sustainable Value Network will complement the other 13 networks established by Wal-Mart and its stakeholders, on topics such as sustainable buildings, greenhouse gas
reduction and climate change, waste elimination, sustainable packaging, global logistics efficiency, textiles, seafood, food and agriculture, and a variety of other product categories. Sustainable Value Networks promote the collaboration between key external stakeholders and associates from a variety of company functions across Wal-Mart US, Wal-Mart International, and SAM'S CLUB. Together these networks develop effective policy and practice that derive economic benefits from improved environmental outcomes. The Alternative Fuels Network will help realize the benefits that alternative fuels may present to our stakeholders and their communities.

Thank you,
Customer Relations

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 10:35 AM (#46553 - in reply to #46268)

Elite Veteran

Besides that if we don't grow corn and make the money off the crops there will be more houses built on the farm land and we will be even more dependant on forign oil.

Fill er up!!

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-15 4:22 PM (#46669 - in reply to #46268)

Veteran

A couple of thoughts . . .

1)  So everyone wants Wal-Mart to jump on this and if and when they do they will be the largest seller of any product they choose to sell.  Then everyone will start complaining about big bad Wal-Mart and how they don't pay a living wage, no health benefits, etc.  They buy products from China (see other generator posts), etc. etc. and someone will call for a boycott.  We want cheap easy access to products we want when we want them but then we speak out the other side of our mouths when we get way we pay for.  PS. I un-ashamedly shop at Wal-Mart when it suits me.

2)  Ethanol. I am involved in the ag industry and there is a cost to everything.  Ethanol is not as simplistic as it seems.  Corn production in the US requries massive inputs such as much water, energy to pump the water, fertilizer which is all petro based, equipment to plant, harvest, and transport - it takes energy to produce these items, plus fuel to operate them.  Farmed land is an aggressive use (but necessary) of the world surface but wind erosion, etc does occur.  In short there are many studies that suggest that the total petro input costs of growing ethanol is about equal to the output energy.  In additon, corn is a government subsidized crop, many ethanol plants are govt (state and local)subsidized, and ethanol plants may encourage increased corn production in areas where corn is not being produced thus resulting in not using surplus corn but creating surplus corn which the govt pays crop supports.  It is easy to say this is a sustainable fuel source but a little more difficult to prove.

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-16 3:34 PM (#46761 - in reply to #46268)

Regular

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/08/21/8383659/index.htm?cnn=yes

Interesting article about the use of corn for fuel and the impact on supply and cost.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)