'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wyoming?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-22 1:21 PM
15 replies, 6259 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-07-26 7:38 PM (#88332)
Subject: Wyoming?

Anyone know of any good, budget-friendly, ranch type places to visit in Wyoming? We would like to be able to visit Yellowstone while there, so within driving distance if possible. Hoping to make a trip out there next summer with my daughter after I finish nursing school. We would not take our horses for the trip, so a place with sensible horses is a must. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-07-27 9:33 AM (#88350 - in reply to #88332)
Subject: RE: Wyoming?

Not sure how budget-friendly it would be, but I would check into the Bitterroot Ranch equitour (some info at http://www.ranchweb.com/bitterroot/).  I think it's approx $2K per week, but it's definitely worth it if you're willing to spend that much..  There are probably others in that area that don't require a minimum stay tho, I just don't know any others.. 44
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-07-27 9:00 PM (#88374 - in reply to #88332)

Extreme Veteran

Contact some locals in the area you want to visit. They are a much better source than the expensive outfitters. Many of them are very willing to have folks to ride with them. It let's them show off their local country. Which they are very proud of.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-27 10:33 PM (#88380 - in reply to #88332)

Expert

I just retuned from Jackson Hole.  We rode our horses in the Grand Teton Park  ( same fee gets you into both Yellowstone and Grand Teton.)

We trail headed from the Jackson Lake Lodge. They had 50+ horses there that they take tourist out for rides, by the hour, half day or all day.  There are several of these concessionairs that provide horse rides in and around the park.  That way you could spend a day seeing the park, swiming in the firehole river, Ride horses one or two days, go river rafting on the Snake River near Jackson, go mountain biking at Snow King Ski resort or try the Alpine slide or Zip Line.  Of course each of these things has a price tag. It may be cheaper to pay the $2000 to the dude ranch and have everything included for the week.

Here are some pictures of what we saw as we rode.

The wild flowers are just incredible. I can not get a camera to capture just how colorful they really are.

We rode out the the Two Oceans trail

You get a great view of the Grand Teton Mountains

We rode to a high overlook called Grand View ( because it has a Great view of the Grand Tetons)

This is looking back at where we came from as we rode around two oceans lake

And this is looking back at the Tetons.  This is Jackson lake in front of the Tetons. Our truck and trailer is parked by the lake.  So it was a good 6 hour ride for us.

We just pulled off the rode and camped in the trailer with the horses highlined nearby.

And rode a different trail each day.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-28 4:12 PM (#88427 - in reply to #88380)

Expert

That area is beautiful but the roads scare me.  I will NEVER forget Teton pass!!!
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-07-29 7:54 AM (#88470 - in reply to #88332)

Veteran

Greetings,

I have a few suggestions. Check out "Horseworks Wyoming" website. Nate and Maecille are very reputable. My friends and I have stayed at the ranch on a number of occasions, and the prices are right. It is not fancy, but good horses, food and fine riding. Nate is 87 and still rides daily! The website does not make clear all they have to offer. Give them a call and let them know your interests. I purchased 2 horses from them, one sight unseen! Cody is an easy drive, and known as the gateway town to Yellowstone. Another way to see Wyoming is on the Outlaw Trail Ride, sponsored in part by the town of Thermopolis, which is also near Cody and Horseworks. This is not to be confused with other "Outlaw Rides." It is a ride for confident riders, as there are long hours in the saddle. You start at the "Hole in the Wall," of Butch Cassidy fame, and ride about 120 miles to Thermopolis over 6 days. Evening entertainment, good time. You can take your own horse or rent one. On the website are rental contacts. We have used Dar Mantle's horses of "Wyoming Horses." If you take your own, make sure they are in tip top shape.

Another possibility is the Darwin Ranch. Also check out the website. You fly into Jackson Hole, then drive about 3 hours over dirt roads to the highest elevation private ranch in the U.S. (as I recall).  We did a pack trip from the ranch into the Gros Vant (sp?) wilderness. Fabulous. Rates are competitive, but not "cheap." As a side note, I now will not fly into Jackson anymore, makes me sad......I visited in the early 70's when it was still a cowboy town, which I loved! The 80's & 90's have brought the glitz and sh_ _ from high end ski town mentality. O.K., I feel better now that I have vented!

Good Luck,

Brenda

freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-07-29 4:41 PM (#88530 - in reply to #88332)

Thanks everyone, for the input! Painted Horse=those pictures are awesome, and exactly the type of scenery we hope to experience while there. My daughter's eyes got huge when she saw those pictures of the mountains and lakes. That Outlaw trail ride sounds like a once in a lifetime adventure, too-if we decide to do that I better do it soon while my 42 year old back is still holding out. :) I also liked the idea of maybe going with a smaller outfit, although if my dear hubby decides to make the trip with us we will need to make sure he has stuff to occupy himself since he is not much into riding. Thanks again!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-29 7:49 PM (#88538 - in reply to #88332)

Expert

Granite Creek is in the Gros Ventre Wilderness. So some of the pictures above are the wilderness that Brenda is talking about.

ALL of Wyoming has changed! Yes the Billionairs have run the Millionairs out of Jackson. You can't ride a trail in the Wind River Wilderness with out hikers telling you what a jerk you are for letting your horse poop on the trails.  If they had their way, they would ban all horses from the wilderness. The tree huggers have succeeded in reintroducing the wolf and have let the Grizzly Bear populations boom. Elk herd have been decimated by the increase in predators. And not just in the Park.

But then again all the western states have changed.  When I was a kid, Utah had a poulation of 350,000. Today it has over 2 million. and it has changed Utah.

Jackson does offer your Hubby other things to do.  Mountain Biking, Alpine Slides, Zipline and other summer activites at the ski resorts , River Rafting on the Snake river, It's a Fly fishing mecca.  Mountain Climbing on the Tetons,  nightly Plays and Melodramas in the Jackson playhouses.  And you can find similar activities at any of the Park Gateways.  West Yellowstone, Gardner, Cody as well as Jackson.

Good Luck and have fun

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-07-30 8:29 AM (#88578 - in reply to #88538)

Extreme Veteran

You can't ride a trail in the Wind River Wilderness with out hikers telling you what a jerk you are for letting your horse poop on the trails.

We spent 3 weeks at Double Cabin(just north of Dubois, in the Wind River Wilderness) this year, and we were pleasantly surprised with the hikers we met. They all welcomed us, were glad we were there, and none of them acted like they disliked our presence.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-30 7:44 PM (#88631 - in reply to #88578)

Expert

I'll stand corrected. Just because I ran into a several doesn't mean everybody will.  In fact the hikers and Mountain Bikers I run into in Utah are so polite that it caught me quite off guard to be verbally attacked by those in the Winds.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-07-30 9:08 PM (#88639 - in reply to #88332)

Veteran

When we rode the winds, there were so many hikers, you really had to watch where you went to the bathroom. They were everywhere.
hoboqh
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2008-08-07 9:17 PM (#89245 - in reply to #88332)

New User

Check out the TCross Ranch in Dubois.  The scenery is indescribably beautiful.  The horses are safe and well cared for.  The staff is friendly, food is mmmmmm good, and even though the ranch is located many miles from town, there are lots of things to keep one busy.  Great fly fishing, too. Accommodations are rustic comfy cabins.  The ranch is close enough to Jackson that we spent a day there and in the Tetons (can anything be more beautiful?)  There are no words, nor cameras, to do the place justice.  You have to experience it yourself!
freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-08-10 6:57 PM (#89436 - in reply to #89245)

TCross ranch? Sounds great...going online to check it out now, thanks for the tip!
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-21 11:42 PM (#90163 - in reply to #88380)

Elite Veteran

Painted Horse...

I am soooo totally jealous! We (husb, 2 kids and I ) travelled all through there last summer/fall.. LOVED the area.. I would have loved to have brought the horses and ridden at both Yellowstone and the Tetons.., however, we flew in to Denver and rented a car before setting out on our 4 state marathon drive ...CO,SD,MT,WY... That is my dream to live where I can ride trails with this kind of scenery.. south Texas just doesn't cut it for the view..(heat, humidity, bugs,etc...)

I've done some camping with the horses, but have never highlined them.. Were they easy to teach?.. My Rocky mare can be kinda silly at times and has been known to occaisionally sit back on crossties while being bathed.  Especially if the hose happens to rest on her front legs when I am spraying the rump... (She really doesn't like the footing there..) She never does this in the barn when crosstied.. How do you break this habit?

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-08-22 6:24 AM (#90171 - in reply to #88332)

Expert

Usually after a long day riding the horses are tired enough that it's not a big deal to get them to stand tied at the highline.  Just remember the rules of Highline. (7' high, 7' apart and  17" of lead) And you shouldn't have any major wrecks. If your horse will stand tied to your trailer or a tree, they will usually stand tied to a highline.  It's gives them more movement than being tied to say the trailer, where they only can move 180*. On the highline they can walk a full 360* from the tie point. And even lay down if they want.

Keep any ropes/leads high enough that they can't get a leg up and over and rope burn their hocks,

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-22 1:21 PM (#90208 - in reply to #88332)

Elite Veteran

Thanks! I wasn't aware of the "7's rule".

I'm sorry I stumbled on this website so late, but I'm glad that I eventually did! I have learned alot and am enjoying having such a large pool of resources to pull from..

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)