'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
La Riviere City Park WI Anyone ride there?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-14 2:26 PM
15 replies, 7933 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-06-14 10:16 PM (#85670)
Subject: La Riviere City Park WI Anyone ride there?

Veteran

We've been up to Prairie Du Chien and checked out the campground (in the car), and are wanting to go for a few days in August.  Will I need shoes on my horses?  The trails look awesome, hilly and rocky, anyone want to share  a picture or give me some description of trails? 

We usually take a vacation to Shawnee, but gas is too high, have to travel a little closer to home this year. 

Thanks in Advance!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-06-14 11:20 PM (#85674 - in reply to #85670)
Subject: RE: La Riviere City Park WI Anyone ride there?

Elite Veteran

I love riding there!! IMHO...you will not need shoes. But...please keep in mind that my horse is a barefoot horse. The trails are rocky in spots, but nothing bad. The trails are very similar to Kickapoo Valley Reserve, have you been there? Hum...not as challenging as Shawnee trails.

A few things you need to keep in mind. If it rains...the trails SHUT DOWN. There is no water on the trails!
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-06-15 2:54 PM (#85694 - in reply to #85670)

Veteran

No we never shod for area either.Camped and ridden there 4 different times Yellow River is close and might wanta do day there also.The place across from Pr.DC is for sale again I hear but has nice riding too.Is polace by boy scout area to pickup maps take trail outa camp by road/entrace down by creek nd will take ya to barn/buildings etc.Will be maps and more info there.Is even pine trees and sand in area.Has wicked hill if raining as has rained one day every time camped there.Billy Goat Hill-stay off it if been raining.Is trail always closed because has sign for bees.Also if go on one trails by nice homeowner has put out watertank n hose if need more water.Happy Trails I only have pics of camp area.Also loved camping and riding at Endoftrailequinecampground up by Wild Cat mountains great owners nice park.Reasonable camping fees many positive things if still was up in IL would return to place...
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-06-15 4:02 PM (#85699 - in reply to #85670)

Veteran

Thanks for the info!

My horses have black, hard feet, so they should be ok.  Just making sure about shoes. 

How many miles/acres trails are there? 

(PAINTS) Do they have overnight camping at wildcat?  A friend of mine used to ride there, but I've never been. 

Hows the weather in Missouri?  Guess everyone is flooded with rain this year.  I think you were from Galva (just down the road from me). 

Happy Trails, and thanks again!!!

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-06-15 5:24 PM (#85709 - in reply to #85694)

Elite Veteran

** The place across from Pr.DC is for sale again I hear but has nice riding too.The Children's Ranch? Yes, you can access those trails from PDC campground. ** Will be maps and more info thereKeep in mind...maps for PDC can be outdated ...quick. This is due to the fact that they reroute and change the trails alot due to erosion.**Billy Goat Hill-stay off it if been raining.This is fun trails....but try to go back it instead of down. HA! Like I said before, trails close when it rains, so best to stay off them.>>Also loved camping and riding at End of trail campground up by Wild Cat mountains great owners nice parkJan and Moose's place is very nice. From there you can access Wildcat Mt and Kickapoo Valley Reserve. BTW...both these areas are currently closed due to heavy rains. May not open until end of June. Call ahead to make sure trails are open before making the drive. You need to know that these trails also shut down when it rains!!!
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-06-15 5:41 PM (#85712 - in reply to #85699)

Elite Veteran

** how many miles/acres trails are there? Hum...I'm not sure. On a gaited horse ....we did all the trails in 2 days.**Do they have overnight camping at wildcatat ? Yes. You can stay at Wildcat State Park or at End of the Trail Campground, which is a private campground. BTW...these trails are currently closed due to the heavy rains.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-06-15 10:06 PM (#85719 - in reply to #85670)

Veteran

Thanks for all the info IcePony.  Sounds like great places to ride.  Sorry about all the rains, we've had it too.  Luckily I live far enough away, but I sure feel for those not so fortunate.  Were down to one place to ride (within distance) and the levy broke in their town Saturday, so that's probably out too.  Were about an hour or a little more from Cedar Rapids IA, those folks are being hit really hard too. 

Thanks again, and I hope everyone gets dried out soon!

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-06-15 10:11 PM (#85720 - in reply to #85719)

Elite Veteran

I just found this new place to ride and camp in Iowa.

http://www.hutchff.com/?page=home
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-06-16 8:24 AM (#85734 - in reply to #85670)

Veteran

Appy4me-found papers info on www.endofthetrailcampground.com

They might by now have place or two to stay in ready as said were gonna remodel trailer(mobilehome).We loved place and in in top 3 or 4 in some website rating campgrounds/trailriding places.In Ontario,WI amish stores are must visit in area with tack and sweets etc.Call 608-337-4738.

We just got home from 4J Big Piney and river was up higher than ever before.Had great time as always.

Papers kept on La Riviere Park says 320 acres and trails cross but keep ya busy for few days.Phone # I have for Childrens Ranch is 608-326-5362 they have eletric hookups etc but is for sale and cost more to camp etc.Was free to ride on place from LRP.CR had 470 acres dont know about now.I dont recommend Gov Dodge State Park-outa state we spend $34 on one night fee/tags etc to stay in our lqs and NO watere hookups or eletric and were told NOT to use our honda(super quite)generator.

Let us know if like or ride at places.

Edited by Paints 2008-06-16 8:42 AM
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-06-16 9:43 PM (#85781 - in reply to #85670)

Veteran

Thanks again!  My husband was checking out the place up by La Crosse today!  It sounds pretty cool, especially the shopping and sweets part!  Although, Prairie does have CAbelas!

Thanks again for both sites, I've bookmarked them. 

karynzoo
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-06-25 2:30 PM (#86344 - in reply to #85670)

Regular

also in Prairie I think Coaches has kick A## biscuits and gravy.  There is also a tractor supply co store there .  My mom lives over in Boscobel so i'm out that way every time I visit.  We're planning on camping up there and having her bring us some home made apple pie for dessert!
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-07-18 9:25 PM (#87710 - in reply to #85670)

Veteran

Were going to End of the TRail campground on the 8th  of August, then down to Prairie after that. 

Thanks for all the info!!!

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-08-14 8:25 AM (#89687 - in reply to #85670)

Veteran

Ok, were back from Wiscosin.  End of the Trail was great, Jan and Moose are super nice and really fun too.  Wow, their driveway is steep!  We made it to the top (without 4wheel), and moose met us there only to find out that our site was at the bottom of the drive!

Riding at Wildcat is super nice, loved the over looks, and the weather was perfect.  I was suprised to have to ride the highway to get to the park, but after one time that wasn't a big deal either. 

La Riviere was fun too.  Wow, billy goat hill, for sure stay off when it rains.  My horses did a little huffing and puffing!  The water tank was sure nice too, what great, horse friendly people.  The Elk Farm was really cool.  My horses did good with them, but noticed they weren't deer!  (especially when they bugled). 

It started raining last night, and with the forecast of more, we packed up and headed home at 8:30.

Lots of good riding at both places, but horses and people are happy to be home (for now). 

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-08-14 10:41 AM (#89699 - in reply to #85670)

Veteran

Glad ya had great time LOVE both places too.Didn't ya like campground decor at Endoftrailequinecampground-outhouses(with lights etc)and did ya go into shower/bathroom in cattle barn?We have full lnqrs but used showers once just for fun.Will some day be back up in WI but now down living in southern MO so checking out MO places.Did ya check out Amish shops (bakery,candy and tack)?
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-08-14 12:39 PM (#89705 - in reply to #89687)

Elite Veteran

End of the Trail was great, Jan and Moose are super nice and really fun too. Wow, their driveway is steep!

YES!!! And you don't have the luxury of building up speed for the climb. I haven't been there since I started hauling with my RV.
moose met us there only to find out that our site was at the bottom of the drive!

Shoot....too bad you didn't know that.
La Riviere was fun too. Wow, billy goat hill, for sure stay off when it rains

That's why I said...go up that hill instead of down. HA! BTW...those trails close when it rains. So glad you have a fun filled trip.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-08-14 2:26 PM (#89714 - in reply to #89699)

Veteran

Originally written by Paints on 2008-08-14 10:41 AM

Glad ya had great time LOVE both places too.Didn't ya like campground decor at Endoftrailequinecampground-outhouses(with lights etc)and did ya go into shower/bathroom in cattle barn?We have full lnqrs but used showers once just for fun.Will some day be back up in WI but now down living in southern MO so checking out MO places.Did ya check out Amish shops (bakery,candy and tack)?

Oh ya, we checked out the Amish shops!!!  Lets see:  Cinnamon Raisin Bread (yum, how many Weight Watchers points do you think that is?) Those oatmeal filled cookies (great), and some apple crumb pie. 

The Amish Tack Shop:  Atlee Miller's place, we bought 3 breast collars, cinch strap, and a few buckles.  GREAT stuff and unbelievable prices. 

And yes, we did the milk house shower, neat place.  I loved the office area too.  You talk about nice, honest people.  Sunday night we went up to the office to pay our bill.  I had brought my purse with so I could write a check, and after sitting and visiting I accidentallly left my purse.  So Monday morning, here comes Moose dangling a purse in front of my camper window.  Duh, I left it sit up there.  I had no worries, (or money ), but knew that I was safe there. 

Thanks for the information, were glad we went!!!  Were thinking of going back in October, bet the changing leaves are beautiful there. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)