'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camp recipes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-27 10:09 AM
15 replies, 5629 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dallye
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-05-08 11:10 PM (#83555)
Subject: Camp recipes

Since we are all gearing up for camping season, I thought it may be fun to post a few good camp recipes!  Happy Trails

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-05-09 6:09 AM (#83569 - in reply to #83555)
Subject: RE: Camp recipes

Extreme Veteran

I am all about EASY stuff!  My favorite camp meal is to prepare a roast with potatoes, carrots and onions at home.  I transfer the finished product into a disposable aluminum pan and cover it with foil.  Once at camp, I lay it over the fire for about an hour and *voila* dinner is served.  No prep, no cleanup!

We also enjoy breakfast burritos.  Again, these are prepared at home.  I wrap the burritos in wax paper and they can be microwaved for breakfast or a mid day snack.  No microwave? No problem.  Wrap them in foil instead of wax paper and they can be laid by the fire.

I go camping for the three 'R's...riding, resting and relaxing.  I do NOT want to spend my time cooking and washing dishes.  I prep all the food at home and put everything in disposable containers.  Sure, this takes a little extra effort before you leave but once you're there, it's 'No fuss, no muss'

And for dessert...peach cobbler can be made in an aluminum pan and reheated over the fire also.  Want something even easier than that?  Open a can of hot fudge, put it over the fire and dip bananas in it.   YUMM!!!

RIDE ON! 

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-05-09 9:52 AM (#83584 - in reply to #83555)

Extreme Veteran

For the first night I pre make enchilladas and put them in aluminum bread pans, wrap two things of foil around them and then when I'm done setting up camp, put them in the coal, WOW! it sure hits the spot and they cook super quick!

I also do Filet Mingots and my Dutch Apple Crisp in the dutch oven. In the morning on the heading out day I do a cowboy omellete(sp) in the dutch oven too. Eggs, cheese, onions, meat, and whatever I have left over from the trip.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-05-09 11:46 AM (#83588 - in reply to #83584)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by cowpony01 on 2008-05-09 9:52 AM

For the first night I pre make enchilladas

Funny you mention that. My wife and I tried enchiladas over the fire for the first time last year. She pre-made them and we basically just heated them up in the Dutch oven. We determined they were delicious. Sorry, I can't help you out on the recipe, but I'm sure the recipe from most any church cookbook would work.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-05-12 7:40 AM (#83742 - in reply to #83555)

Extreme Veteran

My favorite has got to be the omelets in a bag.  Scramble two eggs in a cup or bowl and pour into a ziplock bag.  Don't use the kind with zipper tab use the "old fashioned" zip lock.  Add whatever omelet goodies you like then zip the bag shut pushing out as much air as possible.  Drop the bag in a pot of boiling water and boil 8 - 10 minutes.  If you are doing several and they all have different fillings just write the person's name on the bag before you fill it.

A couple of tips... DO NOT add milk to your eggs, precook any meat.  Make sure you don't crowd the pot.  These are so easy and yummy.

JacciB

djkrash
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-05-12 7:51 AM (#83743 - in reply to #83555)

For a quick painless breakfast we do boil bag burritos. Pot of boiling water, crack an egg or two into a good quality ziplock bag w/ cheese, meat veggies,label it w/ a sharpie, toss it into the water and let it cook. Put out tortillas, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce or whatever. When the eggs are hard put them in the tortilla add toppings and breakfast is served. DO NOt LET THER BAGS LEAN OVER THE PAN SIDE. If everything is in baggies or containers clean up is easy.

A ggod appetizer is a campfire french onion. Using a large vidalia onion peel the outside and core it. In the cored hole place a beef boullion cube and plug both ends with butter. Wrap in foil and throw into the fire or onto the grill. It's done when turning soft. Open cut and serve in the foil. Cover with swiss or mozarella for variety.

A good quick dessert is the old dump cake standby. Using a cake mix of your choice, dump it into your foil lined dutch oven over pie filliung of your choice(just enough to cover the bottom), to this add a 12 or 16 oz. bottle of soda of your choice(try to make it compliment the cake mix), cover and cook until done(test with a fork).

These are some we use with Boy Scouts For more check out any dutch oven cooking site. Happy trails and eating. Yours in Scouting. Dan

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-05-13 10:48 AM (#83840 - in reply to #83555)

Elite Veteran

A fun activity for a group dessert - tell eveyone  to bring cleaned tuna or cat food cans.  Get the grill going good and then open up cans of pineapple rings, prepare a cake mix and put one pineapple ring in each tuna can, add the cake mix 1/2 up the can, and put the can on the grill.  Everyone gets to bake their own upside down pineapple cake. Once the cake is cooked, turn upside down on a plate - frost with frosting if desired. 

The gang I camp with tends to have group meals. About a week before each trip, I email them to see what they want to make for dinner.  We take turns providing the entrees.  That way we each only need to make one thing (salad, veggie, entree, dessert) and someone usually opts for bringing the wine & cups, appetizer if we have a big group that meal. 

If just a couple of us are going, we'll take turns so on a four night trip I may only have to cook one or two dinners, and have the other nights off.

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-05-13 3:31 PM (#83862 - in reply to #83840)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Dunoir on 2008-05-13 10:48 AM

A fun activity for a group dessert - tell eveyone  to bring cleaned tuna or cat food cans.  Get the grill going good and then open up cans of pineapple rings, prepare a cake mix and put one pineapple ring in each tuna can, add the cake mix 1/2 up the can, and put the can on the grill.  Everyone gets to bake their own upside down pineapple cake. Once the cake is cooked, turn upside down on a plate - frost with frosting if desired. 

Hey Dunior:

I got this recipe idea from you last year and made it at one of our campouts.  They were a big hit and impressed all of of campers.

Thanks for sharing this one.

JacciB

PS: Did I mention they were yummy?! 

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-05-14 7:02 AM (#83917 - in reply to #83555)

Elite Veteran

great to hear they all liked it - I learned it from a fellow camper who learned it from someone else, so it just keeps being passed on.

two ladies did a campfire dessert with bananas wrapped in tin foil and I think they added chocolate sauce and I think we also roasted marshmellows - gotta get the actual receipe and post it here.  They prepared everything and put the tinfoil bananas in the coals for a few minutes, then started pulling them out and handed out to the group.   Something different than the regular s'mores though those are always a treat.

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-05-16 11:48 AM (#84073 - in reply to #83555)

Extreme Veteran

Does anyone use "pie irons" or "pudgie pie" cookers when camping?  If so, what are your favorite recipes for pie irons?
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-05-17 10:13 PM (#84144 - in reply to #83555)

Veteran

FIRST!
Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-05-20 10:54 AM (#84325 - in reply to #83555)

Veteran

My sister came with this idea.  They like Kabaska so her quick receipt is:  You need 3 cans of cream style corn for this and potatoes and kabaska.  Get a cassarole dish.  Start with cream corn, then potatoes, then sliced Kabaska, do this over and over again until you used everything.  Add a little milk over the top.  She then bakes this for about 45 minutes in the oven.  Her family loves it and she told me it even taste good cold.  If you are camping you could cook it half way and then finish it over your camp fire.  One dish, happy campers.  I hope this work for you.  Forgive my spelling.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 7:45 AM (#84380 - in reply to #83555)

Elite Veteran

Banana/Chocolate Campfire Receipe

Pull back 1 strip of peel from each banana and cut a vertical slice.  Stuff with squares of chocolate and mini-marshmellows, wrap in aluminum foil.  Place near the fire and let sit til it melts, serve to your hungry guests~

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 11:07 PM (#84426 - in reply to #83569)

Expert

I usually walk out in the garden and grab an onion, some squash ( yellow crook or Zuchinni). I slice them up and cook with buttar on a griddle.  Add meat ( usually a Pork Chop, Chicken Breast)  I bring a tossed salad in bag or make a Pasta salad and put in a Zip Lock bag. Add a fresh tomato just before serving.

I've also cooked an elk roast all day in the dutch oven.  When it's falling apart we add some BBq sauce and make Sloppy Joes out of it, As long as we have the Dutch Ovens we usually make a cobbler.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-05-24 8:23 PM (#84611 - in reply to #84380)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Dunoir on 2008-05-21 8:45 AM

Banana/Chocolate Campfire Receipe

Pull back 1 strip of peel from each banana and cut a vertical slice.  Stuff with squares of chocolate and mini-marshmellows, wrap in aluminum foil.  Place near the fire and let sit til it melts, serve to your hungry guests~

[/QUOTE

This is actually an old Girl Scout recipe that we did called Banana Boats. They are my favorite! Anything that tastes good on/with a banana can be put into it. I found some butterscotch chips to add to mine and they are great.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-05-27 10:09 AM (#84732 - in reply to #83555)

Extreme Veteran

We did a turkey breast in the dutch oven this past weekend.  It was a Honeysuckle brand, which are by far the best in my slightly biased opinion.  We put the turkey in a pan with the gravy packet it came with.  Then, we set the pan on a horseshoe in a dutch oven.  We hung it over the fire.  It was moist and delicious.  I'd say even better than in a conventional oven at home.  A whole turkey would work well, too, provided you had a big enough dutch oven.  An 8 lb breast just barely fit in my 14-inch deep dutch oven, and it took about 3.5 hours to cook.  We'll definitely do that again.

Edit: I'd recommend buying a fresh refridgerated turkey instead of a frozen one.  Thawing a turkey while camping doesn't sound fun.

Edited by jdzaharia 2008-05-27 10:14 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)