'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Confused & Concered w/ new truck purchase...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-13 12:00 AM
15 replies, 5258 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-11-11 11:16 PM (#70917)
Subject: Confused & Concered w/ new truck purchase...

Okay, I have been reading some of the posts regarding tow vehicles and what we're hauling.  I am more confused than ever!  This is the deal, my husband is treating me to a new truck (trips to NY w/ my 2 year old child & hauling, guess he doesn't want to take any chances with the current truck)... I currently have an '00 Ford F350-SD w/ the 7.6 turbo disel, 6 speed standard, 4x2, crew cab, long bed, single rear axle.  I have an '06 Featherlite Big Horse 3HS gooseneck w/ 6' dressing room that is bare (and more than likely will stay that way for a while after pricing new trucks, ouch!).  Anyhow, when I haul w/ my current setup it seems to handle everything w/ ease.  Yes, I am very ignorant because I have just believed everyone when they say that my truck could handle way much more than I haul... I have never looked into all of the weight limits & such.  I do know we just put new tires on the truck & went with a higher rated/class of tire than what was on there to allow for more weight.  Yes, ignorant!, can't tell you exacts on the tires either.  I seriously think I gave all of my gray matter to my daughter.  Anyhow,...

Being we are about to get a new truck more than likely this week, I need help.  I am pretty sure I will settle on an '08 Ford F350, disel, auto transmission (can't seem to find any in stock w/ standard - multiple dealers tell me they never stock them), 4x4, crew cab, 8' bed, single rear axle.  We still currently live in FL but start our moving to up-state NY last week of this month.  So far this is kind of what I understand from reading here...
~ very important is weight limit on tires & rear axle
~ one can NOT trust the owner's manual as far as trailer weight but need to take rig to scales (which there is absolutely no way I can do this before the purchase of this new truck)
~ and a bunch of other stuff that has just gone over my head due to lack of knowledge & understanding of the lingo
~ oh, & check your tire pressure on all wheels & check your lug nuts often

Am I going to regret getting the auto transmission?  Any suggestions with disels in the colder areas (FL native here - btw, is there such a thing as snow driving/hauling safety courses)?  Is this a good choice in vehicles considering my trailer?  What is an exhaust brake & its importance?  Is there such a thing as a 4x4 dulley (sp?)?  Should I even consider getting a dulley? cause I'm really not to fond of them but will take into consideration safety to personal preference!  Anything that I must have on the new truck that I'm ignorant to?  I really hope to keep this truck for a very long time & want to make sure I get what I need.

I love my old truck & am kind of sad to let it go but understand my husband's concers.  This has been a great truck!!!  I just hope the new ones are as good as this one.  

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!
Kristie

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 4:42 AM (#70919 - in reply to #70917)
Subject: RE: Confused & Concered w/ new truck purchase...

Veteran

The only necessary change you are making is the 4 wheel drive.  You will want that if you are moving to upstate NY.  And don't forget the engine heater - should be standard, but I don't know if they do that in FLA.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-11-12 4:51 AM (#70921 - in reply to #70917)

Elite Veteran

Why  get rid of the 7.3 if it still runs good.  I just took mine on a 3000  mile trip, and its a 1997;  and left my 2005 f350 at home!!

Mine now has 76000 miles.

3turnsfarm
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 6:25 AM (#70925 - in reply to #70917)

i'm 200,000 miles plus on my 7.3 and am thinking very hard about keeping it after considering a trade for a new 6.4. the new fords are running around here everywhere and i've not heard of any trouble. in regards to your question, you have more than enough truck to handle your current trailer, and would have enough if you ever decided to go to a bigger trailer. and yes, get the engine heater, and also ford has the new supplemental cab heater or something that heats up the interior quickly (we all know a diesel can take awhile to heat up in the winter). and the torqshift is a good transmission, not quiet an allison, and i do prefer a stick, but this will suit you fine. very smart move to go to 4wd, if not for that i would suggest keeping your 7.3, but i would say a 2wd wouldn't make it in ny.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-11-12 6:33 AM (#70926 - in reply to #70917)

Expert

You will love the newer automatics for towing. They are great at helping with the downhill braking.

Yes you will want a 4x4 in snow country.

You will want the engine block heater, (especially if you park the truck outside at night)  It should be standard, but just ask to make sure.

I would suggest you get the All Terrain tires.  Dealers in Florida may not be stocking trucks with that option, but you will want the more aggressive tread patterns in the snow.

Check online and see what dealers have in  stock and what you can order.

http://www54.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/Dispatch.jsp?.CurrentState=HomePageFlash

mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 7:07 AM (#70928 - in reply to #70921)

Originally written by walkin on 2007-11-12 5:51 AM

Why  get rid of the 7.3 if it still runs good.  I just took mine on a 3000  mile trip, and its a 1997;  and left my 2005 f350 at home!!

Mine now has 76000 miles.

I agree & we really don't want to get rid of this truck... just think it is a good choice considering our current situation.  Ours has about 150,000 miles +/-.  Even though we understand that if maintained we could get many more miles out of this truck.  We are starting to see some of the 'little things' starting to show their age, for example my windows as of yesterday won't go down & fuse didnt' fix it, & a few other things.  Also, with moving to NY we really think a 4x4 is a must have with my desire to camp with the horses.  We are looking at at least 3 round trips of hauling decent loads if not 4 with this truck in the next few months moving everything from FL to NY.  We are hoping that my brother would be interested in buying instead of trading it so that it will stay in the family.  But anyhow...  Thanks!

BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-11-12 7:21 AM (#70929 - in reply to #70917)

Extreme Veteran

I don't know where you are buying the truck, this is an option that might not be available in Florida, but you will need it in Upper New York.  Heated seats, especially if you have leather covered seats.
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 8:44 AM (#70938 - in reply to #70917)

Regular

It is my understanding the Ford and GM did away with the manual transmission options, anyway. If you want a stick you have to go Dodge.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 9:28 AM (#70941 - in reply to #70917)

Expert

We used to live in upstate NY and will agree with many of the ideas that you have been given for a new truck purchase. Four wheel drive is a necessity, you do not need a dually, our truck came with a block heater which we don't need down to 0 degrees with synthetic oil, an automatic trans is great when pulling trailers, a mud and snow tire works well.

Some parts of Ny are in the snow belt and some parts are much colder than others. We still go to the Adirondacks several times a year. Beautiful state.

BOL  Gard

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-11-12 9:59 AM (#70946 - in reply to #70917)

Elite Veteran

SRW F350 should be fine pulling the trailer you described.  I am with everyone else though who suggested block heater, 4wd and heated seats on the new truck.  You might consider buying a truck from a dealer up north for better chance of finding one equipped that way, and one with all season tires.   Maybe haul one load north with the old truck and pick up the new truck for the trip back? 

kraigrrr
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 11:36 AM (#70959 - in reply to #70917)

Are you 100% sold on the Ford? I know they have had some problems with the new turbo... Have you looked at the Dodge Cab & Chassis? You can get a Aisin Automatic w/ 180,000 warranty... and built in motor brake... thais is what I drive and I love it... I have put 15000 miles on it with know problems....
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 1:55 PM (#70979 - in reply to #70917)

Expert

Heated Seats???

WIMPS...

Now this is what you need for those cold NE nights...

PROHEAT pads consume less electricity than frost plug/block heater counterparts. Frost plug/block heaters take hours to install with a variety of tools -- PROHEAT pads install in minutes without any tools and are permanent. A typical frost plug heater consumes 600watts while a 6.6l Duramax heater consumes 1000watts. Most applications can be covered by a Pro Heat Model # 512 that only consumes 250watts. PROHEAT pads are SMART, SIMPLE and COST-EFFECTIVE.

• Unlike frost plug/block heaters, PROHEAT pads will not adversely affect newer car and light truck computer systems in cold weather.
  • PROHEAT heats the engine from the bottom up, starting with the oil.
  • Warm oil provides quicker lubrication to vital engine components reducing the need for costly, premature repairs.
  • Overnight use will warm the entire engine.
  • PROHEAT pads consume less electricity than frost plug/block heater counterparts.
  • Frost plug/block heaters take hours to install with a variety of tools -- PROHEAT pads install in minutes without any tools and are permanent.
  • PROHEAT pads are SMART, SIMPLE and COST-EFFECTIVE.

Advantages:

Faster/easier engine cranking in cold weather
      Helps reduce engine wear with easy flow of engine oil Immediate engine oil pressure Easy installation
      Most efficient means of heat transfer available
      No cutting hoses, removing frost plugs, or loss of anti-freeze
      Heats 6 quarts of oil from -40 ºF to +60 ºF in less than two hours (based on 350 Chevy V8 & Model 512)
      Each model thermally balanced to meet your needs
      No danger of oil carbonization
      Permanent. Once applied, unit need not be removed

For more information E-mail: kennedy@tznet.com

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-11-12 3:32 PM (#70991 - in reply to #70917)

Extreme Veteran

Not only is the single rear wheel adequate (as previously mentioned several times), it is preferred where snowy conditions are likely. It will track through the snow much better than a dually. With a dually, you sometimes have to fight the pickup because each rear wheel wants to follow the tracks your front wheels have made and only one can at a time.
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-11-12 6:29 PM (#71001 - in reply to #70917)

Regular

Man, only 150,000 miles....I'd buy it if you lived closer!!!! 7.3s are gold around here!!!!!!
This is just my opinion, BUT HERE GOES....a few of my friends have traded their Ford 7.3s for the 04-07 ford 6.0s and 3 just got 2008 ford 6.4s. They all say they would die to have there 7.3 engines back. Reasons given were terrible 6.0 engines with constant trouble....the new 2008s only get 8-9 miles per gallon and still to new in this area to notice any 1st year problems with engine/tranny.
I have a 02 Ford 7.3 and it will stay till it dies(this puppy will pull anything I think)...just bought a 2005 GMC duramax w/allison-big bad boy...it is comparable to the ford and will flat out run. Both are duallys with 2 wheel drive and I have been in some really muddy big hills around Mississippi with no trouble as long as you use mud tires.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-12 7:36 PM (#71007 - in reply to #71001)

Veteran

I think you would be well served by any of the diesel trucks if you are buying new (Dodge, Ford, or GMC/Chevy)..and given your trailer, a SRW will be fine. IMHO 4WD is a necessity. One thing to consider however and this is a big one is SRW vs DRW. I haul a 4h sooner with 8' lq and fully loaded with 4 horses on a long trip say out in the mountains of Colorado or anywhere, and do it with a 99 Superduty F350 SRW..but ... I would prefer to have the extra safety of those dual rear tires. And my next truck will be a dually for sure..however the main purpose of my truck is to haul a trailer and it's not a daily driver so you need to weigh the inconvenience of the extra tire cost, the wider truck getting into and out of parking spaces etc, etc. If you have any consideration of upgrading to a larger trailer within the lifetime of your new truck purchase give it some thought.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-11-13 12:00 AM (#71030 - in reply to #70917)

Expert

That trailer should be ok behind single wheel 4WD.  The engine block heater is a must, I do like the dually with 4WD, which we have in the 7.3.  I do like a standard for hills,mtns, etc.  An engine brake helps to hold the load back going down hill, a measure of safety in some circumtstances and loads (just got one and love how it helped our downhill in CO on the Loveland Pass)  No experience with anything other than 7.3 in Ford.  Good luck in your purchase, also agree that a purchase up north might get the winter package you would like.  Check into your sales tax differences from state to state, too..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)