'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
what to put in LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-19 10:14 AM
15 replies, 4308 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-15 9:07 PM (#55650)
Subject: what to put in LQ

Veteran

We've just purchased our first trailer with LQ. We've camped before but I've never had my own camper. I'm beginning to think how I'm going to "stock" it with kitchen and bathroom supplies once spring arrives. Can I store products in their original containers or should I plan to put everything in plastic bags or containers? Can products stay in the trailer in extreme temperatures? I live in Ohio and temps can range from 0 to 100 degrees, depending on the time of year. The trailer will be parked next to the barn. How do I ensure that I don't get any unwanted visitors (critters, bugs, etc.)?Is there anything you wouldn't live without in your LQ trailer?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-15 10:25 PM (#55652 - in reply to #55650)
Subject: RE: what to put in LQ

Veteran

small coffee pot,paper towl holder (rubermaid one does great easy to change rolls) extra extension cords,we keep ours pluged up all the time except winter to keep refrig going so we dont have to empty all of the drinks etc when we get home we just restock it. we use a adapter that goes into a regular 110 plug just for that reason not to run air or anything,it also helps keep batteries charged up. good luck with your trailer and happy trails..

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-16 5:21 AM (#55663 - in reply to #55650)

Elite Veteran

Just about every thing I own!!.  You never know what you will need.

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-16 9:21 AM (#55668 - in reply to #55650)

Veteran

I stocked mine with plastic ware, styrofoam cups (hot and cold drinks) cheap knife set (in case you lose one). Paper plates with the camper wicker holders for support. a set of metal real plates and bowls. Have the metal cups that husband won't use. A set of real silverware (cheap also) for steak and such. A medium pot, fry pan with lids. A griddle. 2 long lighters. A thin coleman camper stove for outside. A cutting board. A $20 propane grill that stores under the seat. A large metal coffee pot that I heat water in. I measured my cabinets and found some plastic storage containers that I store the silver/plastic ware in and label.  I have another for the potholders and dish towels. Extra paper towels, napkins, toilet paper.  I keep a large rubber band on my towel holder to wrap around the towels when traveling.

I have a small bottle of dish detergent and liquid hand soap.  I left mine in over the winter one year and they were too full and expanded out the top. Messy.  Canned goods. I have a sealtight container I put instant potatoes, instant oatmeal, hot chocolate, etc. in also.  I leave the plates in the plastic wrap and take from the bottom. The styrofoam the same way.  That way they are protected where you eat.  I bought new towels and took the old ones to the camper.  A fan and electric heater when you don't need to fire the furnace up (and have electric).  And of course those little samples of toiletries.  And everything I found at Walmart.

Edited by Rockinghorserun 2007-02-16 9:23 AM
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-02-16 10:13 AM (#55670 - in reply to #55650)

Elite Veteran

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-02-16 10:21 AM (#55671 - in reply to #55650)

Elite Veteran

Our horse trailer is my "happy place" so I put great towels/bath&body shower gel/good coffee with a expresso machine/down bedding and good sheets/great cowboy polycarbonate glasses and lots of jerky..and bumble bee tuna lunchs from the dollar general... and some canned goods beans..veggies for stew and other stuff. It is a good idea to keep deodorant/toothpaste and brushs/and bengay when you are sore.. Just be ready to add ice and go!!

Happy trails (soon, I hope..it has been so cold here)
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-16 2:46 PM (#55687 - in reply to #55650)

Expert

With the exception of pershiable items, you can stock your trailer with dry goods in original packaging if its sealable. Tupperware containers are a good idea if the stuff can get stale if not used up in a reasonable amount of time and you'd probably know what that would be. Stuff that can freeze shouldn't be left in there but I usually don't worry too much about hot weather. In the fall, I wash bedding and put it back in. In the spring it ready to go. A good spring cleaning, we are all set. Personal items such as soaps, toothpaste and paper products can be left in all summer. A LQ is nothing more than a camper so whatever you'd think was reasonable for a camper applies for a LQ. I guess its a woman-thing to get all nesty with a LQ, men don't seem to have such concerns.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-17 9:30 AM (#55728 - in reply to #55650)

Extreme Veteran

We have duplicated all of the toothpaste, brushes, deodorants, et. that we use and keep a set in the camper. Corell dishes are nicer than paper plates. We have some plastic wine glasses for our pre-dinner 'happy hour'. Wally World and most liquor stores sell small boxes of wine - they say the hold 3 glassa worth. They're handy. lighter than glass, small and easily stored. Unless you're a real wine snob, pretty good table wine. My daughter says they look like juice boxes.

In the winter, we bring it all in to the house and put it in the furnace room, warm and dry. Keep it plugged in over the winter to save the batteries. We don't keep any food, even cans over the winter. Watch out for mice! if they get in, they'll ruin a lot of food, even bedding. We've had them somehow get into the horse compartment and tack room - what a mess there. But, so far not into the camper.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-02-17 9:46 AM (#55729 - in reply to #55650)

Expert

What everyone else said along with a half gallon of "Wild Turkey 101", some clean drinking water, 16oz red plastic cups and my old Lazy Boy recliner. Then I'm set for the evening! As cold as it is today, I believe it's five-O-clock somewhere!!
Iridem99
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-02-17 8:58 PM (#55746 - in reply to #55650)

I'm with Calamity....some NICE stuff. Quality sheets and blankets. Throw rug or runner. Bath and Body Works stuff. Then, some inexpensive stuff, the disposable everythings. Don't forget the extra water and beverages. Then, the TOOLBOX with screwdrivers, wrenches (socket set and adjustable) a box of mixed fuses, duct and electrical tape, a socket to fit the water heater plug, hammer, a few nails and screws, pliers, tape measure, locks for every horse compartment door that are keyed or combo'd the same, spare keys for everything and a strong Hide-a-Key to put under the lip of the top edge of your truck bed. Oh, and a couple of short folding tables from Walmart.
Have a GREAT time with your new house!! Congradulations!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-02-18 9:15 AM (#55766 - in reply to #55650)

Expert

You might want to stash a little $CASH$ in there somewhere. You never know what, when or where something bad may happen (like the wife seeing a new horse she can't leave the show without). Always good to know that you have some extra fuel money just so you can make it back home.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-02-18 11:17 AM (#55771 - in reply to #55650)

Extreme Veteran

Extra set of clothes & boots, jacket, gloves, rain gear & boot slickers (can you tell I've been caught out in the rain?), hand and feet warmers you can put in your socks or gloves, medical supplies for horses & people, flashlight, bug repellent, fire starting supplies like matches or lighters, duraflame firestart, indian fire water (charcoal fluid)  & anything you'd use to cook over fire like hotdog sticks etc., 

Anything I think may not fair well in cold weather I put in boxes and store in our semi-heated garage.  

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-02-18 2:55 PM (#55782 - in reply to #55650)
Subject: RE: What to put in LQ

Elite Veteran

I keep everything in the LQ through the winter, trailer plugged in, and run a ceramic heater all winter set to about 55 degrees.  Don't have to winterize the plumbing and it keeps it from smelling musty.  

So I recommend a ceramic heater for when its being stored in the winter. 

I keep one of those six pack wine holders you get at the grocery store to keep wine bottles safe while traveling.  And I keep plastic wine glasses for happy hour.  I think someone mentioned that already. 

I also vote for disposable everything, when possible. 

Edited by headhunter 2007-02-18 3:00 PM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-18 3:27 PM (#55785 - in reply to #55650)

Expert

Gee I never thought of keep my LQ heated all winter. When its 20 below I am more concerned about keeping my house warm.

I used to have to pack the trailer prior to an event- hauling stuff out of the house only to haul back in again so i went and bought another hair dryer,hot rollers, curling iron  as well as toaster,iron and of course bathroom items ( make- up,lotions,toothpaste and brushes) . That way its ready to go and I don't have to lug it around. For the most pasrt, its used up before winter and I don't have to unpack everything.

pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-18 4:00 PM (#55787 - in reply to #55650)

Regular

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=5626

here's a link to a thread on this last summer with some good ideas,too

I'd add pop-up hamper for dirty clothes, lantern, door mats for outside LQ doors, plastic trash or store bags for yucky stuff.   I really like my fabric 6-shelf hanger, $12 from Walmart, holds lots of stuff, hangs on the clothes rod behind the toilet. Also over the door 12 pocket organizer hangs on door to horse area with cleaning, toiletrie and first aid stuff.  Also wire shelves and dividers  make cabinets way more useful.  I use baskets for storing like things together. That way I can take all of it out of cabinet and put it back with one motion. 

Take more water than you think you'll need and don't forget the chocolate!  Happy Trails.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-19 10:14 AM (#55831 - in reply to #55650)

Elite Veteran

I use a crock-pot a lot. Nothing as nice as coming back from a long ride and having dinner ready. Those frozen crock-pot dinners in a bag work great too. Also don't forget the clothes hamper. I found a cloth one with a nice plastic frame holder at Target. It's light weight and fits nicely in the closet or in the back of your trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)