'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Decent enclosed slant load?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-30 9:52 PM
15 replies, 4741 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 3:28 PM (#50475)
Subject: Decent enclosed slant load?

Veteran

Hey all-  Does anyone have a recommendation for a alum. (all or over steel) 2 horse slant load- not stock sides- with dressing room that can handle a larger horse?  Been looking and looking, love 4-stars but the 2 horse is tiny and the 3 horse is VERY heavy.  Curious about Exiss Event- not Sport model as I've seen how thin the alum. is on the floors. Same with Featherlite- at least per Universal Trailers that brand has the thinnest of them all!  Ha!

Anyone out there with a Merhow slant? I have a 20 year old straight load-no DR,  Verylite (alum. over steel back then) with about 20 years left on it.

Had a great deal on a Sooner but again the thing was an albatross for a 2 horse all alum. straight load at close to 4000 lbs!

Any experiences with good, bad or ugly..........?  Thank you all!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-23 4:28 PM (#50485 - in reply to #50475)
Subject: RE: slant load

Elite Veteran

Are you looking for bumper pull or gooseneck?  I think 4000 lbs for a 2 horse gooseneck is pretty reasonable.  My steel 3 horse gooseneck with all the bells and whistles (extra height, hay rack, water tank, collapsible rear tack, pass through door, no living quarters) weighed in at 5400 lbs. 

I have a friend who bought a Classic 2 horse bumper pull with a dressing room.  Drop down doors on head, slats on butt.  Was one of the lighter trailers she could find as she had towing weight limitations.  I think empty it weighed in at 3500 lbs.  

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 4:40 PM (#50487 - in reply to #50485)
Subject: RE: slant load

Veteran

oops- bumper pull- Merhow makes a 3 horse slant with DR under 3000 lbs - shouldn't have to get a 3 horse when you only need a 2 horse.  I'm sure there is a manuf. who makes a larger 2 horse!  Thanks for your input!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-23 6:46 PM (#50499 - in reply to #50475)
Subject: RE: Decent enclosed slant load?

Expert

Originally written by rider3 on 2006-10-23 3:28 PM

Hey all- Does anyone have a recommendation for a alum. (all or over steel) 2 horse slant load- not stock sides- with dressing room that can handle a larger horse? Been looking and looking, love 4-stars but the 2 horse is tiny and the 3 horse is VERY heavy. Curious about Exiss Event- not Sport model as I've seen how thin the alum. is on the floors. Same with Featherlite- at least per Universal Trailers that brand has the thinnest of them all! Ha!

Anyone out there with a Merhow slant? I have a 20 year old straight load-no DR, Verylite (alum. over steel back then) with about 20 years left on it.

Had a great deal on a Sooner but again the thing was an albatross for a 2 horse all alum. straight load at close to 4000 lbs!

Any experiences with good, bad or ugly..........? Thank you all!

Decent, light, strong floor, big - - ???
You probably need to prioritise - I'd drop the "slant" requirement and stick with the 4-Star that you already seem to like.

Question: "with dressing room that can handle a larger horse ?"
Not what you meant, right ?
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 8:10 PM (#50504 - in reply to #50475)

Veteran

Very good. I can see a horse coming out of the dressing room wearing its PJ's.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-24 7:02 AM (#50524 - in reply to #50475)

Extreme Veteran

Some things aren't mutually compatible, such as "very large horse" and "very light weight trailer".  Just about any manufacturer will build a trailer larger, but the bigger the trailer, the more weight you are dealing with.  I would like to see that 3000# three horse on a scale.  Be aware that most new trailers never are actually weighed.  The weight given is an engineer's "bill of materials" weight, based on the total weight of everything that went into the trailer.  We have had new trailers come in with identical weights on the Certificate of Origin, yet one was a basic model with a 4' short wall dressing room, and the other had an 8' short wall and was tricked out with all kinds of options that added plenty of weight.  Use the weight figures given by the manufacturers as guidelines, but don't assume that they are exact or even really close.
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-24 10:36 AM (#50530 - in reply to #50524)

Veteran

Good point about the weight- my ancient Merhow has 1760lbs stamped but I know it is more as I have added a beefed up ramp and added weight in the divider after my mare kept trying to turn around in it and cracked it! Am just trying to avoid 4000 lbs! I'll probably have to stick to straight load as the 2 horse slants are so tiny and to move to 3 horse adds to much weight.

Thank you for your input/time!

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-24 10:42 AM (#50531 - in reply to #50475)

Regular

You should look at a Cherokee.  I have a 2 horse slant with a 4' short wall dressing room. My 15hh gelding fits just fine, and I've hauled a friend's nearly 16hh 1500 lb Quarter horse monster just fine in it too.  They don't show a 2 horse slant bumper pull on their website, but they also don't show a 2 horse slant gooseneck and that's what I've got.

cherokeetrailers.net

Noonmark
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-24 10:43 AM (#50532 - in reply to #50475)

Dear Rider 3,

All flooring for trailers is based on usage of the trailer, and is designed appropriately for each individual trailer/horse and the amount of usage. When discussing flooring you also need to understand the crossmember spacing, how the floor is secured, and construction of it, along with the rail to fully understand the carrying capacity of each trailer.
The Exiss event and Sooner Bumper Pulls - Current Models - are very large and have the best floor system in the industry. We also have one of the thickest floors in the industry. They are all aluminum,(Lightweight) and are selling well in all markets especially the larger horse market place. We can modify them to any height you desire and they are ideal for large horses and are typically sold with that in mind. Please contact me with any questions you may have regarding trailers for large horses and any flooring questions, we have a number of models that are suitable for your needs. We would like your business!

Sincerely,

Donald Moreau
VP Sales & Marketing UTC Horse & Livestock
dmoreau@universaltrailer.com
405-422-7256

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-24 8:37 PM (#50555 - in reply to #50532)

Expert

you should check out stock trailer the are made for more wight carring  just  a thought good luck
twr
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 1:04 PM (#50602 - in reply to #50475)

DEAR RIDER 3:  I ASK YOU TO CONSIDER A FEATHERLITE MODEL 8552 WHICH IS THEIR BIG HORSE TRAILER. IT IS 7FT 6 IN TALL INSIDE WITH 50 INCH WIDE STALLS, 16INCH WHEELS AND TIRES AND FULLY EQUIPPED TO SAFELY HANDLE YOUR NEEDS. ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL TOLL FREE 888-415-6700  TOM REIER SALES MANAGER FEATHERLITE TRAILERS  PRYOR, OKLAHOMA  THANKS!!!
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 7:39 PM (#50628 - in reply to #50475)

Regular

If you really like a 4Star, ask about a 2 horse in a larger width/height to accomidate your horse.  My friend has a big horse-1250lb and 16 hand.  He has a 4Star 2 horse slant load with more than enough room. 
shequila16
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 8:23 AM (#50644 - in reply to #50628)

Regular

Look up Titan trailers.  We have a 3-horse slant load with plenty of room for our 16.2 gelding.  Robb's Trailers is on this website and Gary is a great guy to ask questions to.  His trailers are galvaneal (hope I spelled that right) but built great.  We LOVE ours! 
tantararanch
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-30 7:28 PM (#50873 - in reply to #50475)

New User

We bought a new 2-horse Keifer Built slant load this spring.  Have used it lots and really like it.  My husbands horse is 1400 lbs and 16.3 she fits in the second stall fine.  Good looking, large dressing/ tack area.  We need to line the horse area of the horse compartment with either rubber or a paint/ spray on product, but nice little trailer for my 1/2 ton to get around easy with.  It weights 2500#'s. 
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-30 8:07 PM (#50875 - in reply to #50873)

Veteran

As you get advice on these trailers, don't forget to keep in mind whether you want all aluminum or aluminum over steel.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-30 9:52 PM (#50885 - in reply to #50532)

Expert

Originally written by Noonmark on 2006-10-24 10:43 AM

Dear Rider 3,

All flooring for trailers is based on usage of the trailer, and is designed appropriately for each individual trailer/horse and the amount of usage. When discussing flooring you also need to understand the crossmember spacing, how the floor is secured, and construction of it, along with the rail to fully understand the carrying capacity of each trailer.
The Exiss event and Sooner Bumper Pulls - Current Models - are very large and have the best floor system in the industry. We also have one of the thickest floors in the industry. They are all aluminum,(Lightweight) and are selling well in all markets especially the larger horse market place. We can modify them to any height you desire and they are ideal for large horses and are typically sold with that in mind. Please contact me with any questions you may have regarding trailers for large horses and any flooring questions, we have a number of models that are suitable for your needs. We would like your business!

Sincerely,

Donald Moreau
VP Sales & Marketing UTC Horse & Livestock
dmoreau@universaltrailer.com
405-422-7256

Is that information REALLY Available to the buying public ?
Are you saying there are tables for this and I could look up what I need from my individual horse's body length, height and weight ?

Lets have the analysis, even a spread sheet would do, broken down by crossmember spacing, depth and thickness of crossmembers, etc. - everything you listed.

I'd like to look up floor recommendations for several different horses.

Ahhh, this Technoid stuff REALLY fascinates me.

tnx,

\R
PS By what criteria do you define "best floor system in the industry" ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)