'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bison trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-15 5:49 PM
15 replies, 9886 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mountedshooter
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-04 12:50 PM (#121876)
Subject: Bison trailers

New User

I'm thinking about buying a Bison trailer. Does anyone have any experience with owning one? They look nice, but the price makes me wonder if they are cheaply made and will fall apart in a couple of years or whether they'll last a long time. Any feedback, positive or negative will be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2010-07-05 2:41 AM (#121899 - in reply to #121876)
Subject: RE: Bison trailers

Veteran

I cannot speak to the quality of the Bison Trailer myself but it has been discussed here a number of times.  The answers you will get are "They are great!" to "They are the worst thing on wheels and that includes Yugos!"  Search and see what you find. 

Look at the trailer, ask questions of the salesman and then go to another trailer lot and ask the same questions, also ask why that trailer is better than a Bison.  I did that for over a year before we bought our trailer.

Good luck.

Treashtrs
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-05 8:09 AM (#121904 - in reply to #121876)

I am a NEW Bison dealer in PA and I can speak from being a personal Bison trailer owner of a 2005 Alumasport. We had the trailer for a few months when we started noticing little things that were bad like hinges and such that were loose or didnt latch. As for the structure of the trailer we had no issues at all with it. I know that when my wife and I were looking for a company to go with for our first trailer line in our new business of horse trailer dealership we were looking at a few different mfgs. to go with. When we decided to take a trip out to Indiana to check a few out we were pretty set on a different company UNTIL we toured the Bison factory and saw the way things were built. I knew then and there we were going to go with Bison because all of the things that we felt were overlooked with our 05 were taken care of and then some with their new trailer lines. Dont let their amazing price fool you, they are very well built trailers and will last the test of time. They are also able to offer a trailer at an affordable price due to the fact that their is very little down time and even fewer materials wasted in their making of the trailers. I feel it is a great trailer line and I would have not chosen it ahead of a few others if I would have felt differently. My name is Paul Treas from Treas Horse Trailer Sales LLC located in Turbotville PA and if you have any questions you can feel free to call me at 570-649-6968 or 570-847-2344 anytime day or night.
mountedshooter
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-05 7:37 PM (#121923 - in reply to #121876)

New User

Thanks for your responses. I'm leaning pretty strongly towards getting a Bison. I live in Louisiana and have found a couple that I like. They're both trail hands, 2h, 8' sw, one is a 2010 with couch, seperate shower and toilet, cooktop, microwave, fridge and awning, no stereo. The other is a 2011 basically the same as 2010 w/no awning or cooktop, but has stereo. The 2010 is cheaper with everything I want, but 7 hrs. from my house. The 2011 is 2 hrs. Can a cooktop be added? Is it o.k. to ask the closer guy to throw in an awning and cooktop for the same price he's asking for it so I'll by from him instead of from the farther away guy?    
Treashtrs
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-06 7:47 AM (#121932 - in reply to #121876)

I am not sure that adding a cook top would be that easy since it may not be setup piping wise for a cook top with the way the gas lines are run. The awning is a somewhat easier add on feature. Every dealer is different and may or may not want to add these features on. I would consider what you are going to be doing and if you would use the cook top that often and also consider the prices and how far you would have to drive to save what amount of money. Good luck on your trailer hunt and let me know if I can do anything for you.P.S. We just sold a Trail Hand about 3 weeks ago and have ordered the same exact model in that will be here in a few weeks that has all of the things that you are looking for being the cook top and awning with the same floor plan that you are looking at. If you would like you can give me a call and I can go over some numbers if you would be interested in making a trip to PA. Paul Treas 570-649-6968 or 570-847-2344

Edited by Treashtrs 2010-07-06 7:48 AM
Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2010-07-06 6:22 PM (#121971 - in reply to #121876)

Regular

I bought my 2 horse slant load 8' short wall trailer in N.C last year and I live in California. Went and picked it up my self. It was a 3000 mile road trip pulling it back to California. I went through alot of rought road construction and I don't mean a few miles, every state I went through had some kind of construction going on.I thought for sure I was going to have some kind of damage, cracked welds,etc but found nothing. Far as price goes I got one hell of a deal but that was in my favor because of the econame,(spelling). I figured I put about 5000 miles on it last year and no problems what so ever. When I bought my truck in 2004 I was looking for a LQ and looked at the Bisons, then you couldn't give me one, today is a totally differant story. Bison was bought out by a top end motor coach company, I don't remember thier name, but they also fell on hard times and had to file chapter 11, but they kept building Bisons. I'm very pleased with my Bison as you can tell.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-07-06 6:37 PM (#121973 - in reply to #121971)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Wild Bill on 2010-07-06 6:22 PM

I bought my 2 horse slant load 8' short wall trailer in N.C last year and I live in California. Went and picked it up my self. It was a 3000 mile road trip pulling it back to California. I went through alot of rought road construction and I don't mean a few miles, every state I went through had some kind of construction going on.I thought for sure I was going to have some kind of damage, cracked welds,etc but found nothing. Far as price goes I got one hell of a deal but that was in my favor because of the econame,(spelling). I figured I put about 5000 miles on it last year and no problems what so ever. When I bought my truck in 2004 I was looking for a LQ and looked at the Bisons, then you couldn't give me one, today is a totally differant story. Bison was bought out by a top end motor coach company, I don't remember thier name, but they also fell on hard times and had to file chapter 11, but they kept building Bisons. I'm very pleased with my Bison as you can tell.

Hey Bill!

You picked up a new trailer too???? So did we!!!!!!!!!!! We found ours in Oregon right here on HTW. It's a Kiefer Built, wasn't looking at them as I didn't know much about them, but another deal we had going on an Exiss fell through and Mike said get online and start finding the one you really want! It's two horse (again) and a 8' long wall, 4' short. I love it and just got finished a few weeks back insulating and paneling the inside. Much more room in this one compardes to my old Logan. Here's a quick pic. I can email you the whole album if you want, just let me know. Maybe I'll catch up with you at the Fork sometime soon!

Edited by cowpony01 2010-07-06 6:39 PM
mountedshooter
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-06 7:00 PM (#121975 - in reply to #121876)

New User

Wild Bill, I've been waiting to hear some positive words about Bison trailers, thanks. Is yours the trail hand (alum. skin over steel frame)? If so have you had any rust issues? What kind of truck do you pull it with?
mountedshooter
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-06 7:09 PM (#121976 - in reply to #121876)

New User

Paul, thanks for all of your help. I'll probably end up with a Bison. I really can't take a road trip that far, but if I could I'd come see you about one since you've been so helpful. If they're as good as they seem you'll probably be selling lots of them! I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks again.

buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-07-07 5:18 AM (#121986 - in reply to #121876)

Regular

Good Day... I sent you a private message about some trailers that we have in stock...best of luck with your search

Treashtrs
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-07 7:47 AM (#121987 - in reply to #121876)

Good luck with finding the trailer that suites the bill. I know that you will be happy in a Bison trailer. I completely understand that the driving is a bit far and I could not have done it myself when I was working in construction in the past. As for the company that bought Bison it is Monaco Coach which is a division of Navstar and yes they are a very high end Coach company. Once again good luck and enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to call anytime.
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2010-07-07 8:23 AM (#121988 - in reply to #121876)

Veteran

We have had our current Bison since 05 (3h, 10'sw and slide-out). We have had virtually no problems with it. We had an 03 Bison before that and upgraded.
We are retired (and don't have a life other than camping and riding!) so we have put tons of miles on it. (So far 14 different states). We are very satisfied with Bison. Customer service is good, also.

Judy
Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2010-07-07 4:13 PM (#122009 - in reply to #121876)

Regular

mountedshooter. You can see the exact trailer I bought on HTW listing # is 166660. I pull my trailer with a 2004.5 Dodge Ram Diesel with the 325 hp engine with 600# of tork with a exhaust brake. No problems what so ever pulling it in the mountains. I have no rust issues with the LQ what so ever as the under belly is sprayed with a under coating something like they spray in pickup beds,X-Liner or Line-X one or the other.
Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2010-07-07 4:26 PM (#122011 - in reply to #121876)

Regular

Hi Kim, I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age as I'm starting to enjoy all the conforts of a LQ trailer, LOL. Sure beats the hell out of sleeping on the ground when you pack in. I seen your pictures of your trip into Burt Canyon. I've been going into that country since the late 50's. Did you get a chance to ride into Long Valley or any of the other trails? Will be heading to the Fork next Wednesday for a 7 dayer. How is Cody doing? Bill

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-07-07 5:46 PM (#122016 - in reply to #122011)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Wild Bill on 2010-07-07 4:26 PM

Hi Kim, I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age as I'm starting to enjoy all the conforts of a LQ trailer, LOL. Sure beats the hell out of sleeping on the ground when you pack in. I seen your pictures of your trip into Burt Canyon. I've been going into that country since the late 50's. Did you get a chance to ride into Long Valley or any of the other trails? Will be heading to the Fork next Wednesday for a 7 dayer. How is Cody doing? Bill

Lazy, Nahhhhh, LOL!!!!! Mike broke down and bought himself a nice 5th wheel travel trailer to stay in on the away from home jobs, all the comforts of home in it, even satellite, LOL!!!! Now me with the horse trailer, I just insulated it, panelled, added more lighting in the front, got my 12v outlet all ready and more room in front for all my camping stuff, and I'm good to go now. I bet you'll enjoy the LQ up there at the Fork, but it will be weird if I run into you seeing you without your tent and camp kitchen set up! I sure miss good ole' Jerry up there, they got that same lady as last year, and she ain't got a sense of humor, at least Jerry would sit and chat with you as long as you had a meal and after dinner drinks, LOL!!!!!!!

We borrowed a POA for Cody to get used to on his own. He's only 13.3hh, so it's smaller for him. It's a sweet pony and wants to practically sit in your lap. The best part is the family that is loaning him to us, used to pack him everywhere up there where I go. So if all else fails, we've got ourselves a short pack horse!

Take care Bill, post any pics of your trip for me. I prob. won't be going up to the Fork for another week or two. At the end of July I'm meeting up with some of my friends from Nevada and we are riding from just right outside of Bridgeport into the boundary of Yosemite, way up on top. That trip none of us can wait for....

RodeoFoto
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-07-15 5:49 PM (#122429 - in reply to #121876)

I have a 2009 3 HRS 10FT SW & I LOVE IT!

I am so glad I ignored the negative publicity.

The only thing I love more them my trailer is the smokin' deal I got from Uncle Bobs!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)