'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ power/electrical.. how do I?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-18 4:33 PM
15 replies, 6473 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

steelsidedown
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-16 9:28 PM (#91610)
Subject: LQ power/electrical.. how do I?

Just bought a used LQ, a 2003 Merhow. Of course, no owners manual, and the previous owners were.. well.. interesting. I'm not sure how the electrical/propane system is to work, or maybe I should say, how I'm supposed to use it.

For the battery, I have a toggle switch to flip on, to "use" it. Am I to switch that to off to use the generator power? When the battery is run down, how do I recharge it with the generator?

For the propane... I have a fridge, and understand how to start that. The water heater, does that ignite itself, or must I do something in the access panel to lite it?

I think that is all for now...

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-16 9:46 PM (#91617 - in reply to #91610)
Subject: RE: LQ power/electrical.. how do I?

Expert

Google Merhow's web site and contact them for an owner's manual. If you know the manufacturer of your LQ, do the same for it. Every installation has some things that operate differently, from conversion to conversion.

Gard

trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-17 9:25 AM (#91639 - in reply to #91610)

Regular

If your LQ is like most, you can leave the battery switch on while using the generator or plugged in to electrical outlet. The converter will charge the battery. Turn the battery switch off when the trailer is not plugged in to 110 power source as there are things in the LQ that will run and discharge the battery. You will have to determine the brand & model of the hot water heater as they are all different. From this information you can find out if it is self ignition or not. Hope this helps.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-09-17 9:30 AM (#91640 - in reply to #91610)

Extreme Veteran

You could try contacting Merhow and providing the vin number for your trailer.  With that number maybe they could tell you who did the LQ and you could get owner's manuals that way.  This is what I did a couple of years ago when I bought a used Cherokee with no owner's manuals.  Cherokee gave me the name, number and address of the LQ company.  I then contacted the LQ company, and they mailed me copies of most the manuals that I needed.  Good Luck.

shelia
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-17 12:31 PM (#91649 - in reply to #91640)
Subject: HOW CAN YOU MAKE A BATTERY SERVE FOR A HOTWATER HEATER, LIGHTS, AC/HEATER

New User

Originally written by lesliemal on 2008-09-17 9:30 AM

You could try contacting Merhow and providing the vin number for your trailer.  With that number maybe they could tell you who did the LQ and you could get owner's manuals that way.  This is what I did a couple of years ago when I bought a used Cherokee with no owner's manuals.  Cherokee gave me the name, number and address of the LQ company.  I then contacted the LQ company, and they mailed me copies of most the manuals that I needed.  Good Luck.

[/QUOT

WE HAVE A HORSE TRAILER THAT HAS ELECTICAL HOOKUPS AND THE STOVE RUNS OFF GAS AND WE HAVE 2 LIGHTS THAT RUN OFF BATTERY. I WAS WANDERING IS THERE ANY WAY YOU COULD HOOK UP A WATERHEATER, AC/HEATER, LIGHTS TO RUN OFF BATTERY WHEN ELECTRIC IS NOT AVAILABLE. THANKS SHELIA

E]

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-09-17 12:56 PM (#91652 - in reply to #91610)

Expert

(Quote) WE HAVE A HORSE TRAILER THAT HAS ELECTICAL HOOKUPS AND THE STOVE RUNS OFF GAS AND WE HAVE 2 LIGHTS THAT RUN OFF BATTERY. I WAS WANDERING IS THERE ANY WAY YOU COULD HOOK UP A WATERHEATER, AC/HEATER, LIGHTS TO RUN OFF BATTERY WHEN ELECTRIC IS NOT AVAILABLE. THANKS SHELIA

Waterheater would need to run off gas. Air Conditioner needs 110 AC current. Go with a gas heater or a 110 volt AC heater. And use 12 volt or 110 volt lights.... You could alway invest in a nice "QUIET" Honda or Yamaha inverter generator to run all of your 110 volt AC needs.

Not to be short with you or sound like a Smart A$$.... No, you can't run all the things you asked about off your batteries. You would need more batteries and inverters that your truck and trailer would be able to haul. It ain't that easy.

steelsidedown
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-17 5:08 PM (#91667 - in reply to #91610)

Thank you, trguy4820.

Does the truck also charge the battery? (my old finished DR trailer was set up that way)

Another person asked what could be run off battery.
In mine;
Propane: the hot water heater, cook top, furnace, fridge
Battery: the water pump, partial lights, TV
Generator/Hook Up: A/C and microwave (fridge can be switched over)

I was very picky when looking because I wanted absolutely nothing on generator power -- obviously that isn't quite possible. I saw many LQ trailers that were all electric at a much lower price, it was certainly tempting to compromise!

Jen
trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-17 5:21 PM (#91668 - in reply to #91667)

Regular

The truck can trickle charge the battery if it is wired to do so between the truck & trailer. You would have to have someone check that for you. Keep in mind the battery is primarily a safety backup for the lights, etc. for very short periods. Even deep cycle marine batteries will not run much of the electrical equipment for long periods of time. Your setup for what is run by what looks good and is fairly normal in LQ trailers. Happy trailering...
trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-17 5:26 PM (#91669 - in reply to #91649)
Subject: RE: HOW CAN YOU MAKE A BATTERY SERVE FOR A HOTWATER HEATER, LIGHTS, AC/HEATER

Regular

Your trailer battery system is not dsigned to run equipment inside the LQ. It is primarily for backup or short term (matter of hours). You need generator power or direct plug in to run items in the LQ. If you use batteries for long periods you will discharge them rapidly. Even your total electric units are designed to run off of generator or plug in. Hope this helps.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-17 9:20 PM (#91689 - in reply to #91669)
Subject: RE: HOW CAN YOU MAKE A BATTERY SERVE FOR A HOTWATER HEATER, LIGHTS, AC/HEATER

Expert

It is primarily for backup or short term (matter of hours).

Hours?  When we go to the lake we don't use the generator all weekend (usually 4 days).  Frig and water heater and stove are propane and the lights/water pump are on the battery.  We've never killed the battery.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-09-18 7:56 AM (#91703 - in reply to #91610)

I have used mine for days on propane and 12v only. Keep your batteries well maintained, and use them wisely. Remember that things like your water pump and fridge will use 12v. The worst thing about the all electric units is that without 110 hookups or a generator, you have no refrigerator or hot water.
shelia
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-18 10:12 AM (#91710 - in reply to #91669)

New User

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION. I KNEW WE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE TO GO AND GET A GENERATOR. BUT I WAS HOPING THERE WAS A WAY TO DO IT WITHOUT THE GENERATOR. SHELIA 

shelia
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-18 10:17 AM (#91711 - in reply to #91689)

New User

MY STOVE DOES RUN OFF OF PROPANE. BUT MY REFRIGERATOR RUN OFF ELEC. HOW WOULD YOU CONVERT YOUR WATERHEATER AND FRIG. OFF OF PROPANE? SOMETIMES WE LIKE TO GO CAMPING AT PLACES THAT DON'T HAVE ELEC. BUT DON'T BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A WAY FOR THE WATER TO GET HOT AND FRIG. TO WORK. THANK YOU SHELIA

traumajunkie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-18 10:38 AM (#91717 - in reply to #91711)

I'm thinking there is no conversion, only replacement. Look around at your local junkyard and the may have the parts a little cheaper than buying new. A new fridg can be costly. Propane water heaters can be found for a reasonable amount on ebay or at camping world if you want new equipment.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-09-18 11:44 AM (#91719 - in reply to #91610)

The only conversion that I know of is a generator.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-18 4:33 PM (#91738 - in reply to #91711)

Expert

Look at your refrigerator and hot water heater.  In the outside acess door of our hot water heater there is a off/on switch.  That is for the electric heating element.  If it's off it will run on propane if its on it runs on electric.  The switch on our frig is on the front control panel.  It says gas elect and auto.  You can also check your owners manuel and see if they can be or are set up that way.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)