'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Frame Welds that Crack

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-12 6:48 PM
14 replies, 8392 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bellessima
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-28 12:18 PM (#80522)
Subject: Frame Welds that Crack

New User

I took my GN trailer for it's yearly check up yesterday, and was told that the welds that hold the GN Frame onto the trailer are cracked and compromised, and not safe to haul horses!  This trailer, a '96, shows very little rust, and has been well maintained (the floor is in excellent condition!).  I'm baffled!  In the last 2 years we've hauled sheep in it more than horses, and it's not been abused.  I got it in 2001, and it was nearly new at the time.

Anyone else out there ever heard of this?  Suggestions on how to deal with it?  I've called the mfg, but surprise, no one's returned my messages.  I really can't afford to buy another trailer, and can't afford to be without it either....

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-03-28 12:23 PM (#80524 - in reply to #80522)
Subject: RE: Frame Welds that Crack

Veteran

I'd find me a good welding shop and get an estimate on repairing the trailer. Choose a good welding shop that you can trust will do the job right so you won't have to worry about it happening again.
Bellessima
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-28 12:28 PM (#80525 - in reply to #80522)

New User

It seems like too big a job to fix--the welds that hold the beams that run under the tongue are cracked almost the entire length of the beams (6 feet) plus at the right angles where the verticle wall of the body attach.  The guy who's always done my safety check said he wouldn't touch it, but said it would need gussets to make it stable.

Makes me think its more defective than not.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-03-28 12:42 PM (#80527 - in reply to #80522)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like a dangerous defect, but since the trailer is twelve years old and you are not the original owner, I wouldn't bank on getting anything back from the manufacturer.  Seems strange that if your trailer has had regular yearly checkups, nobody has noticed the problem before this. I'd also have it checked out by a reputable welder.  It may be cheaper to fix than to buy new and if done correctly, could actually be stronger than it was originally.  I've had some work done on an '86 stock trailer and it's still going down the road.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-03-28 12:52 PM (#80528 - in reply to #80522)

Extreme Veteran

It very well may be a design flaw, the wrong type of steel was used or some other issue that the manufacturer should have caught. A good welding shop should be able to fix it but it might be a lot of work (might not be too bad either). If by gussets the guy meant welding something over the cracks.... that's not a good fix, cracks need to be gouged out or the whole piece of metal replaced and the reason for the cracks needs to be determined. I would go to a large truck dealership, trucking company or something like that in your area and see who they use or recommend for that type of work. A trailer dealership might be good too but I would try the other places first if you can.
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-28 1:53 PM (#80531 - in reply to #80525)

Veteran

Hard to believe it's "too big a job" considering the whole trailer was welded together out of pieces of steel. It could be more trouble than it's worth if the trailer doesn't have much value. From what you describe it should be worth fixing, though. Any good welding/metal fabrication shop should be able to fix it.

Gussets are triangular braces that are welded into corners to strengthen frame joints. Adding them will make the frame stronger.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-28 3:51 PM (#80538 - in reply to #80522)

Expert

If you don't have the trailer repaired, it is worthless. You can't sell it without disclosing its faults. You can't safely use it without endangering everyone involved.

I would first try to find a "fabricator". They are usually versed in a wide assortment of repairs and welding is second nature to them. Usually their billing is an hourly charge plus materials. A few days of labour with an experienced person can produce a great deal of results. Gussets, doublers and additional materials can greatly strengthen any structure. The repairs will involve much more than simply welding the cracks.

Many trailer and RV dealers are not equipped for this type of repair. If you find a good welder with access to sheet materials and the tools to work them, you will be surprised how well and quickly your trailer can be renovated.

Gard

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-04-03 8:11 PM (#81092 - in reply to #80522)

Extreme Veteran

I am a welder who is certified to weld anything except under water.  I have never seen a trailer with broken welds that couldn't be fixed.  Addition of gussets is an easy fix and not at all complicated.  Any competent welder can do the job, whether the trailer is steel or aluminium.

Marla

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-04-04 12:04 AM (#81110 - in reply to #80525)

Expert

Originally written by Bellessima on 2008-03-28 1:28 PM

It seems like too big a job to fix--the welds that hold the beams that run under the tongue are cracked almost the entire length of the beams (6 feet) plus at the right angles where the verticle wall of the body attach.  The guy who's always done my safety check said he wouldn't touch it, but said it would need gussets to make it stable.

Makes me think its more defective than not.

It sounds like the guy who inspected it is NOT a weldor...

Before you throw the baby out with the bath water...get some estimates from some reputable weldors...then make your decision...

With the economic slowdown...you may get some good prices...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-04-04 12:06 AM
Bellessima
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-04-06 4:30 PM (#81325 - in reply to #81110)

New User

Thanks everyone for you encouragement--you're right, the original inspector is not a welder--took it to a guy who does welding and other work for a lot of trailer cos here, and he said the welds aren't cracked, it's the caulking which has allowed the welds to get wet and rust.  Got a great estimate to get it worked on, and the best news was that it really wasn't that bad, and I was able to use it for a big event this weekend.  I'll be getting it fixed shortly.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-06 4:55 PM (#81329 - in reply to #80522)

Expert

Glad you got a second opinion. After it is welded, make sure the area is properly prepared and painted to prevent further rust. Man, say that ten times fast!

Gard

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-04-06 9:12 PM (#81347 - in reply to #81329)

Veteran

Now that you mentioned properly prepared and painted..... I have a question about wood floors but can't figure how to start a new thread. So I'll just ask it here.

Are the wood floors treated/painted with some kind of sealant or paint to repel water? If so is it a good idea to repaint them and if so, what kind of paint and can I put it on myself. Looks like a job I could handle.

Thanks.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-06 9:53 PM (#81350 - in reply to #81347)

Expert

Some have been made with treated lumber,and,some not,and it's hard to tell.This is what I personally do for mine.

I do not believe in painting them.Paint can flake up and trap moisture and dirt.About twice yearly I scrub mine with a stiff floor broom and some Murphy's Oil Soap.I let it dry well,for say,24-48 hours.THen I take a garden sprayer and apply some decking preservative such as Thompson's Water Seal or Olympic Deck Seal.It doesn't really "seal" it off like varnish,but,well,you probably know what it does.

In between times,I keep mine cleaned out after every use,and rinse it out with plain water if one of my horses urinates in it.I've never had to replace a wooden floor yet,and they always looked like new.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-06 10:13 PM (#81354 - in reply to #80522)

Expert

Did you say it ten times? For a wood preservative to work properly, it has to soak into the wood, and absorb into the cellulose structure. After it dries, it will displace and repel any other fluids trying to do the same thing. This is what preserves the wood.

Most paints don't do this, even some of the better oil bases. They are simply too viscous to penetrate into the smaller spaces. Latex is worse for this application, because it ends up only being a surface coating, which is easily scuffed off.

The best deck sealant, with the longest durability is your best bet. You don't have to worry about UV degration in this application, so a clear, oil based  sealant will work well. You do not want the thick water base products that are very similar to paints. Any big box store has a wide selection. Buy for quality, not price.

I owned a stock trailer that I sealed with a deck product from Home Depot, I'm pretty sure it was a Behr name. When the trailer was sold, the flooring was like new, having been protected with mats and the waterproofing. The sealant can be reapplied if you notice wear.

In the marine industry, there are an assortment of epoxies that are specifically formulated to penetrate and permanently seal the wood. In a trailer's application, I believe they would be overkill and know that they are very expensive. I have used several brands of them for many years with great success.

Gard

corinnelogan
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-12 6:48 PM (#81769 - in reply to #80522)
Subject: RE: Frame Welds that Crack & Floors

New User

As a prior horse trailer dealer, I have my fair share of experiences and stories with welds and floors.
Welds rarely break - especially on the goosenecks. IF you are ever in an emergency situation and find a crack in your weld (and have tools with you) you can drill a VERY small hole at the end of the crack. This will prevent it from spreading. Then you'll want to make sure to take it to a welder soon. If you have a small airport close by, you will normally find a welder not far. Small planes are made with aluminum frames also.

For flooring, you will be better off treating your wood, with a GOOD quality wood preservative at least yearly. Pull the mats out when you're not going to use it for a while to let the floor boards dry. For checking your wood floors, really simple test is to take one of your keys and push in the wood by the edges especially. If the key can go in more than 1/2 inch, that board needs to be replaced. Sure you can wait...some people have even waited long enough to see their horses legs dragging on the ground. Gross? Rude? Maybe, but unfortunately, I've seen and heard most all the horror stories.
Now go check your floors! :-)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)