'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ramps ????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-11 2:09 PM
14 replies, 4117 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-04-09 9:43 AM (#58874)
Subject: Ramps ????

Veteran

I am thinking of having a trailer ramp installed, my horses load and travel well but I have noticed after traveling long distance, they are stiff backing out and sometimes drag their front legs after their rear legs are already out. Also sometimes when we leave the well traveled areas the uneven ground make the trailer pretty high. I am interested in hearing PROS and CONS from those of you that actually have and/or have used ramps.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-09 10:26 AM (#58879 - in reply to #58874)
Subject: RE: Ramps ????

Expert

Originally written by Rostrenga on 2007-04-09 9:43 AM

I am thinking of having a trailer ramp installed, my horses load and travel well but I have noticed after traveling long distance, they are stiff backing out and sometimes drag their front legs after their rear legs are already out. Also sometimes when we leave the well traveled areas the uneven ground make the trailer pretty high. I am interested in hearing PROS and CONS from those of you that actually have and/or have used ramps.

I have them, I use them, I am happy with them, the horses appear to be happy with them. Probably the BEST ones are the centre ones on the gooseneck trailer, they allow forwards unloading.

I don't like what I sometimes see when horses back out of step up trailers.
The tenuous little tippy toes on the edge and then the kutzy slide off of both hind hooves at the same time. Sometimes they try to change their mind and lunge forwards again - UGLY !

YEAH their owners have shipping boots on 'em, I think I understand why (-:

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-09 12:04 PM (#58883 - in reply to #58874)

Extreme Veteran

About the only con on the horse side of it is that horses who don't want to load can walk off to the side and bang their legs on the ramp.... I guess some can be slippery too. Ramps can also be hard to close if they get "stuff" in the hinge area.....clean it out be fore closing. Pros are that it can be easier and safer to load/unload. If you have it on the rear that's another layer of protection if you get rearended.
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-04-09 12:05 PM (#58884 - in reply to #58874)

Veteran

Pros - all the stuff Reg said, plus you can load and haul "other stuff" a heck of a lot easier - like refrigerators, big things you don't wanna have to lift onto a trailer or truck deck.

Most horses seem to do fine with a ramp, even a really steep one (ever seen the commercial big rigs?) IF the surface is grippy enough to make their hooves not skid too badly.

A slick ramp will booger even a good loading horse.Cons - some of the ramps I've had to deal with are WAY too heavy to close in a hurry, like the one on our steel 2-horse slant BP. UGH. Some are fine - like the one on our five-horse GN Trail-et! but the heavy ones are a back-breaking proposition for a not really big woman, plus your red face is right there at horse heel level for way too long.....

Unreasonable horses can still step off the side of the ramp and bark a leg or slide under just like they can with a step up. You do have to really keep the hinges and springs etc clean and lubed - a ramp falling off is not a fun deal, especially if it's the back door when it's closed! Wooden fillers do rot. One more maintenance check item.On the whole - I like a ramp, and prefer to have a ramp OVER back doors, and better shorter than longer.

Kate

Edited by halfpint23 2007-04-09 12:06 PM

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-04-09 12:11 PM (#58885 - in reply to #58874)

Elite Veteran

I've had 2 trailers with ramps (since '95) and my new trailer is a step-up.  I find pros and cons for both with my experiences, others may not agree

Ramp:  horses seem to back out easier and less stressful as they hit the ramp, then stepping down.   Easier to reach and put items up on saddle racks, bridle hooks, etc in the rear tack. Safety - my ramps are inside the rear doors, so when the rear doors are opened, the ramp is still blocking the horse from exiting, so you can't get run over from a horse backing out too quick.

Cons: neither ramp was spring loaded & it couldn't be added, so the ramp is a bit heavy.  It's inside my rear doors, so I couldn't sleep in the back of the trailer as the rear couldn't be closed from the inside.

Step up Pros:  some horses prefer to step-up into a trailer

Cons:  my horse is much more tentative backing out and really seems to like the ramp better.  My trailer seems pretty high and while my horse loads great, I have had some issues with other horses loading. I now have to use a folding step to put the saddle on the top rack or to reach the bridle hooks. 

Guess I really prefer a ramp, but I'm not sure I'll bother adding one to my trailer. It's not that critical to me.

good points made by other posters while I was typing.  The ramp came in extremely handy when I moved and used a dolly to load tons of boxes into my trailer instead of having to rent a truck or hire movers. 

Edited by Dunoir 2007-04-09 12:13 PM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-04-09 12:47 PM (#58890 - in reply to #58874)

Expert

personal preference...ramps are nice when hauling in and out stuff but they can also cause problems as listed. I have seen horses just as tentative backing out onto a ramp as stepping down..sometimes the sound and fell of the ramp bothers them. The step up/ down on the ramp isn't so high that a horse can't manage it. Oh and i don't use shipping boots.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-09 1:01 PM (#58893 - in reply to #58874)

Expert

People may think I'm crazy when they read this(if they didn't already). I bought a trailer about 5-6 years ago and had a ramp put on it because of a horse I owned at the time. She was the best rope horse I have ever sit on, she would also do a reining pattern, anywho, when you asked her to back out of a trailer, there had better not be nobody behind her because she would run backwards out of the trailer, then her back end would fall off the rear, and she would throw her head in the air and hit the top of the trailer with her head. Damnedest thing you have ever seen. So not only did I buy the ramp($1,000) but also ordered the trailer 7'6"(extra $1600), that ramp probley saved her and my life, as you can tell I thought alot of this horse, I am now a Dad(adopted a little guy from Quatemala) so I don't rope as much, so I bred her(not personally)(she is grandaughter of Jesse James topside and Grandaughter of Dry Dock bottom) I bred her to a Congress winning Stud that was a grandson of Collins Jesse top and Topsail Cody bottom. Sold her in foal and paid for my new trailer complete.

She did have the baby, A buckskin filly that has Jesse James, Dry Dock, Collins Jesse, Topsail Cody all on her papers.

Edited by HWBar 2007-04-09 1:32 PM
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-09 1:11 PM (#58896 - in reply to #58874)

Veteran

I've had both also. I agree with the posts here - pros and cons, so I won't repeat them. I will add a couple more:

One of the ramps I owned had very stiff springs, so that it didn't quite hit the ground. I had to keep one foot on the ramp until the horse had at least one foot firmly on. She didn't like it lowering underneath her. This was just for loading; unloading didnt bother her.

With a ramp, you need to keep an eye on the integrity. It has to support the weight of your horse, and it gets urine and manure on it, just like the floor of your trailer. So you need to ensure that it is in excellent shape at all times.

If you want to stay with a step up, then consider a stock or slant load. That way your horses can turn around and unload head first.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-04-09 3:03 PM (#58910 - in reply to #58874)

Expert

I had one on an extra tall WW 2H once. It took somebody like Samson to raise it up and lower it both.It was not spring loaded.If I had another one,which I doubt that I would,but if so,it would have to be spring loaded and perhaps hydraulic too! IT was one heavy piece of steel,I can tell you.One of my horses was bad to run around on each side of it  to keep from loading.He didn't mind the ramp because he had to cross over it to the other side,but when he got in that space between trailer and ramp,there was sure no getting him back up there quickly to make him load up.

By the time 3 of us gave him some loading lessons,once,he went up the ramp into the trailer each time.Sounds like we were meanies,but,he wasn't afraid,just didn't want to go in the trailer.

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-04-09 5:57 PM (#58922 - in reply to #58874)

Veteran

I had a ramp for many years and got tired of repairing it.  I also had a lot of trouble with horses slipping and sliding down, or worse yet, falling to their knees with the tiniest amount of rain/manure.  Some trailers have what appear to be less slippery surfaces but they will ALL get slick with rain/manure. 

I went to a step up, BUT, I have a slant load with no rear tack- both horses can walk out forward.  When loading they have to lower their heads so don't have to worry about them balking halfway up the ramp and banging their head.  I don't worry about the weather anymore either. 

Haven't really missed the ramp yet- definately don't miss lifting it up - esp. having my head so near the back end of a horse when bending down to lift it- which is another reason to have the ramp over the doors. Good luck!

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-04-09 6:02 PM (#58924 - in reply to #58874)

Elite Veteran

I don't care for ramps...cuz I use my back tack area for hay, feed, etc when camping. I also use the end of my trailer for setting up a high line/picket line. Which means if the ramp was down...it would be in the way for my horse. And if the ramp was up...I couldn't access my rear tack for hay, feed, buckets, etc. Good luck on your decision!
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-04-09 11:15 PM (#58961 - in reply to #58874)

Regular

Not particularly big on ramps. One more thing to fix, you have to clean out the hinge to shut it, and they are heavy! All of our horses had a problem unloading from a step in, when we bought them. They'd dance around and make a mad dash out. Took one or two training sessions and they all now easily unload. We teach them a couple of simple voice commands when they step out. As they get close, we say, "easy". Then when the first rear foot goes up in the air over the drop off point we say, "step". After a couple of times of doing that, they KNOW that "easy" means it is coming up and "step" means to take the step down. Now, I just untie the horse, undo the divider and call them out of the trailer using the commands. They back out nice and slow taking care with the step down and just stand there when out.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-04-10 12:02 AM (#58962 - in reply to #58961)

Extreme Veteran

I always had a ramp on my trailers growing up, but the last 2 trailers I bought had a step-up. I really prefer the step-up. I thought my horse would balk at backing out (it is a slant load but I want him to know how to unload by backing out as well as turning around) but he did great. I have learned to get out and check the height of the step before turning the truck off though... sometimes you can back up to an uneven place and the step up and or down is really big. That'd be a problem with the ramp too by the way. My horse has fallen to his knees backing out of a friend's Sundowner trailer, on a ramp. I don't really know why as it wasn't wet, but he has never fallen unloading from the step-up.
Haflingers4Me
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-04-10 11:11 PM (#59038 - in reply to #58893)

Gee HWBar, I can't tell if you're foolin' or not. I guess I'm too sober tonite... work is having the random pee test Friday and I want to pass this time! Anywho, if you're for reals, sounds like you should have gone with the "Blue Moon" trailer, extra tall, extra wide and roomy, remote control rear ramp (at least that's what my friend has). You can haul it with your Volkswagon Bug or Cabriolet (if you're a macho man, even your Jetta) and they are made right here in the United States. Puerto Rico, to be exact. All of the professional baseball players get together and manufacture them in the off season. What's even better, they come with a free jock strap AND a box of cigars...so I've heard.
hhecladd
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-04-11 2:09 PM (#59066 - in reply to #58874)

I have a ramp, like the ramp, horse likes the ramp...seems to work well for us.  Yes, you have to worry about a horse backing over the side, or slipping.  I hated the looks on horses faces when they know they are going to have to step off the back of a step up but aren't sure where the end is.  My horse has stifle and hock issues, so ramp is a great alternative to wear and tear on his legs.  Also, he has been trained to wait for me and turn straight to come out head first instead of backing.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)