'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1998 Valuelite Sundowner

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-13 9:54 PM
14 replies, 4748 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 12:35 PM (#54737)
Subject: 1998 Valuelite Sundowner

Veteran

I am wanting to do a little something to my 4 horse Sundowner to make it better for camping.  I only have a 2 foot short wall, so I know I am very limited for space, but I thought some of you may have advice or pics.  I would like to put in some cabinets and maybe a bench of some sort.  Also, it does not have a walk through door.  Anybody ever cut the wall to make one? Have looked at other trailers and husband says absolutely no new trailer.  Just thought someone out there may have some awesome space saving ideas. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
soundhorse
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-30 2:34 PM (#54745 - in reply to #54737)
Subject: RE: 1998 Valuelite Sundowner

Regular

Talk him into a used trailer with a bigger shortwall, you don't have much room to work with
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 3:07 PM (#54746 - in reply to #54745)

Veteran

Believe me, I have tried.  I just thought that I could do a little something until I can get him talked into it.  I know it's not going to happen this year.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 3:51 PM (#54749 - in reply to #54737)

Elite Veteran

I have a 2 foot short wall also. I have a wide chair that my husband put a shelf on, it fits nicely against the shortwall and my porta potty sits there. The seat of the chair comes off for when I am parked for the night or can be a chair or a step. I keep toilet paper and small items on the shelf. Boots and hat boxes go underneath. I have a short, thin stepladder to get up and down in the bunk, makes a great place to hang towels or jeans to dry. I have a round hole cut where I can run an extension cord if I want to and can run a small dorm fridge that sits beside the door; I can pile "stuff" on that while I'm camped. A short metal rod can rest angled across the slant, makes a fine short term closet. There is enough room in the gooseneck that I have a queen sized mattress and still have room beside the mattress; that's where my reading light, alarm clock, book and kleenex go. The most I've done in there is a long weekend show, but I'm pretty cosy and really not that cramped. Anything that doesn't go in the "LQ" can stow in the trailer over the weekend and not be in my way. I have even done laundry and hung shirts on hangers, then the hanger on the trailer chains. It's really kind of fun to see how many amenities I can improvise. Having said that...I'd kill for a 5 foot shortwall and a real shower!
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-01-31 4:59 AM (#54772 - in reply to #54737)

Veteran

Buy a bag shower thing from Wal-mart or anywhere put in back trailer hang around shower curtain or tarps etc.Getta porta-potty also for back area.Just I believ people clean up trailer an put shavings etc in muck bucket not to let it get wet an reuse on way home.Get big tank in back of truck for horses an your hand washing etc(refilling porta shower).Buy shower shoes-flip flopps.Check with local camping stores or dealers for ideas,contractors so get free estimates etc.If you dont have awaning I would get one on for shade etc.Best of luck on the up grade.Where do you usally camp etc?I'm in IL also Maybe we could meet up at a camp/park this year.Oh almost forgot.If you dont haul 4 Would taking wall back to 3 horse by prof. contractor be an option?
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-31 10:45 AM (#54789 - in reply to #54772)

Veteran

Thanks for the ideas.  Sometimes haul 4 but have it fixed up for temporary storage: hay, etc. when needed.  Really don't want to do anything permanent just in case I need to haul all 4.  We mostly camp Shawnee, just starting to get into it.  We have been to Bear Branch (great facilities, fair riding), Bay Creek (won't go there again until new owners), and High Knob.  High Knob is primitive but awesome riding-people are super nice!  Paints--love to hook up.  Always looking to meet new people who love to ride.  Have no set plans as of yet.  We tend to plan about a week in advance and stay away from the big rides!

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-31 12:19 PM (#54796 - in reply to #54737)

Extreme Veteran

I've made all the comforts of home in my small 2H slant load gooseneck. I use 2 5 gal coleman solar showers in the back of my trailer, with a Crystalx tub for my water runoff and empty when done. My husband put in a 12v outlet for me to use for coffee maker, XM stereo, charge my cell phone, use a portable DVD player, add a refgridge, etc. Tons of lighting inside, he added extra for me wanted it to be very useful. Click on the trailer link below to see what I've done with space alot smaller than you've got. I can just imagine what I'd do with the space you have

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 6:54 AM (#54821 - in reply to #54737)

Extreme Veteran

you can use the gooseneck for storage.  don't know how large your matress is but you can put a small closet or just shelves in the front of the gooseneck, and shelves on the sides. 

which side is your DR door on?  even if it's on the 2' shortwall you still probably have room for  floor to celiing corner corner shelves so you make use of that dead space.  a boot box can be used for storage as well as climbing into the gooseneck.  

years ago my farrier took my trailer for a week and fixed up the DR- used the space very well. before that I pretty much had boxes and crap piled on top of each other.  it was 4x7 so granted there was more space to work with but you could still do something similar.  

is it insulated?  if not thats something you can easily do yourself and it will make it a whole lot more confortable for camping in.

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 7:11 AM (#54822 - in reply to #54737)

Extreme Veteran

p.s. 

awnings are nice too and you can sometimes get one thru RV camping catalogs for around $150-$200.  they're not fancy and you have to put up a metal chanal on the trailer and run the beading of the awning thru it, then set it up w/ tent poles and ropes but once up it sure is nice for the extra space, then you can set up a table, chairs, etc underneath.

and inside the trailer you can get a little propane heater/stove.  turn it on to warm the trailer up in the morning and make coffee.  I got one from (I think) Cabellas for around $40.  

I did endurance and camped out of my trailer for years.. can send pictures if you want.  A larger DR would be nice but you should be able to work w/ the space you've got and come up w/ something pretty confortable.  if you could get walk thru door you could use the horse part too.  or use it anyway w/out a door it would just be more walking.

it's always fun to look at  other people's rigs at the rides.  you can get some good ideas...  I saw a plain stock trailer fixed up pretty nice for camping inside the horse part.  the rider swept the back out, put tarps on the sides, a rug on the floor, set up a table, chairs, and a camp cot.  she had plenty of room. 

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 3:57 PM (#54846 - in reply to #54737)

Extreme Veteran

hey acy,

are those awnings the bag awnings for tent trailers that you're talking about?

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 7:03 PM (#54854 - in reply to #54846)

Extreme Veteran

the awning was in a bag- came with poles, and ropes.  got it years ago from (I think?) a JC Whitney catalog.  it was all I could afford at the time and even tho it was a pain to put up once it was set up it was great to have.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-06 8:48 PM (#55153 - in reply to #54737)

Veteran

I had a 2' shortwall years ago and I was able to convert it to a decent LQ. The gooseneck was huge so I had a queen size mattress, room at the side for cleaning supplies and a duffle bag for folding clothes. I had a trunk made so I could step on it to get into the gooseneck and it opened for storage. I had an open corner cabinet made with shelves for misc. things. I also had a shelf made for the 2' wall and I put a microwave under it and a small refrigerator over it. When I would get somewhere to camp, I would pull them out and put them on a table under my awning. Over the shelf, I had a rod for hanging clothes. I was very fortunate to have a walk through door and I would store things in the first stall and bungie them to the wall. I also had an aluminum strip welded to the ceiling so I could hang up rain coats and other things in the back after I was camped. They used to say that I had everything but the kitchen sink. I enjoyed it for years and when I decided on another trailer, I knew exactly what I wanted from the experiences that I had from my original trailer.
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-07 9:00 AM (#55165 - in reply to #55153)

Veteran

Thanks for the ideas.  My gooseneck area is huge as well; I have a queen-sized mattress and still have plenty of room on the sides. Your ideas really helped.  All of your ideas are very helpful.  Thanks everyone!  Still thinking about cutting that walk-through door.  Called about having the awning installed when we get out of the deep freeze--the local place has to do those jobs outside.

Yippee Ki Yo
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-13 8:13 PM (#55504 - in reply to #54737)

My3Horses,

Send me an e-mail address and I can send you the link to our "work in progress" 2 foot short wall.  Idyllmateacres@aol.com  We will have fridge, microwave, stove, sink, cabinets and boot box.  We are in the process of putting in a walkthrough door.  It is coming together very nicely and cute cute cute. 

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-13 9:54 PM (#55516 - in reply to #55504)

Veteran

Yippee--I have sent you a private message with email.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)