'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New to the forum, finally buying a new trailer after 20+ years with my old WW

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-21 10:04 AM
14 replies, 4527 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-14 10:29 PM (#51493)
Subject: New to the forum, finally buying a new trailer after 20+ years with my old WW

Regular

Looking for a 2 horse slant load GN new or newer. Our plan is to purchase a trailer with a dressing room shell to finish into a weekender for my daughter and I to use while starting up trail riding competitions (where I left off 10 years ago when I had my twins).

Question then for those who have done conversions... would you say an 8' shortwall is adequate to build in a two burner stove, small fridge, mini sink, seating for 2 table area, water storage, gravity propane heat and a bit of storage cabinetry for clothing? Plan to put a chemical toilet and utilize a solar shower (or heat water when it is cold) to bathe in the adjoining stall. Will likely build a soundproofed generator bin in the floor of the rear tack area for our portable Honda 5 hp. We built a slide-in camper w/ lav before, but after looking at some of these horse trailers, we are skeptical of space. What all would you recommend?

Am looking at Exiss, Hart and Sundowner and possibly Trails West. Any suggestions there? Prefer lightweight construction as am pulling with a gas 1996 F250 heavy duty 4X4. Not shopping in Colorado because the prices here are ridiculous. Plan to visit a few dealers down in Oklahoma City next month while seeing family for Cmas down here. Maybe will take a trip to Nebraska too.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Lisa
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-11-15 7:55 AM (#51506 - in reply to #51493)
Subject: RE: New to the forum, finally buying a new trailer after 20+ years with my old WW

Regular

Look on the "horse trailers for sale" area of this site and look at thedifferent floor plans that are out there for sale w/the 8 foot short wall.  You would have to be creative w/space to fit this in....but anything is possible.  If you buy a trailer w/stock sides on atleast one side it is considered "stock" AND if you purchase it at a dealer in some states, OK is one of them....you can buy a permanent tag for under $100. and w/stock sides some states do not require taxes on it each year.  Might save you some $$$$$$$$$$$.  Look at websites for ideas.....see what others have done.  good Luck!
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-15 8:29 AM (#51513 - in reply to #51506)
Subject: RE: New to the forum

Regular

Okay thanks. Will contact the DMV for more info on that aspect. I don't recall any of that when we bought the WW in OKC (though lived here in Colo.), but that was back in 1986. Our tag renewal is $15 per year.

I have looked at many trailers on this site and there are several good deals I believe, but it still makes me cautious to buy something without actually looking at it, walking through it, checking the construction, etc.

My old oversized WW Trailboss has been a definite workhorse and we sure got our money's worth out of it, but it needs so much work (sandblasting, new paint and a few odds and ends). We just installed a new floor and completely redid the wiring this Spring, but it is one rusty/streaky puppy (surprising for our dry Colorado climate). I even kept it waxed, but not covered. Plus we are moving beyond needing a simple 2H bp.

Everyone tells us a GN is the way to go as I often have to haul over mtn. passes and storms come out of nowhere. Wolf Creek or Monarch Passes in a blizzard is an experience not to be forgotten. They are more stable to pull I guess? Sticking with a 2H and smaller DR because often mtn. roads are quite narrow and it is easier to get a 16'-18' trailer into most areas.

Thanks for your feedback ishom, appreciate it very much.
lisa.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-11-15 2:42 PM (#51531 - in reply to #51493)
Subject: RE: New to the forum, finally buying a new trailer after 20+ years with my old WW

Elite Veteran

I camp with a friend that has a 2H GN 4-Star and while it doesn't have an 8ft wall, she was able to fit quite a few things in the space she has.  I think it might be a 6' wall. 7'6" in height

It has a sink, 3.0 propane/elec fridge, 2 burner cooktop, 2 big closets on either side, hot water heater, microwave, and a cowboy shower in the first stall.  The trailer also has the mangers which allows for more storage space and is either 7'6" or 8'wide - highly recommend the wider and taller trailer. She also has a small convection oven that comes in real handy for baking stuff.  (not sure if Exiss makes the wider trailers)

Her generator is in the rear tack which has venting & also a shelf that is quite handy for putting stuff on.  Also has an outside spicket for rinsing the horses off if needed.  (Outlaw conversion did the LQ's)      Make sure you insulate the trailer and get the propane fridge.  good luck  

Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-11-15 7:36 PM (#51551 - in reply to #51493)

Veteran

I think that trlr. width will have a lot to do with it, as mentioned above.  One of ours has an 8' shortwall.  It's 8' wide and 7'6" tall and we have a stove, microwave, full size dinettte, 6 gal. hot water heater, fridge w/ seperate freezer on top, t.v. DVD combo, toilet, bath/shower (seperate of toilet), sink in bathroom, 20? gal. water storage, and lots of cabinets and a wardrobe!  Sooooo, it can be done if laid out right.  Like the man said what did the L.Q. "we put 6 gal. in a five gal. bucket!"   Good luck and have fun!  Talk to y'all later...
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-16 7:03 PM (#51612 - in reply to #51531)
Subject: RE: New to the forum,

Regular

Appreciate your reply and thanks so much. I am narrowing down the search. Should be ready financially to make a purchase after Christmas. Looking forward to this new project. Not really looking forward to spending the money right now, but stuff happens. The old WW trailer is really on its last legs (wheels?). I am sure somebody could sandblast, prime and paint it up and make it look nice again, we just don't want to mess with it at this point.

lisa.
dreamrider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-11-17 3:39 PM (#51640 - in reply to #51493)

I have an 8 ft. shortwall and managed to squeeze a ton of stuff into it. I have a 6 c.f. frig, sofa, shower, toilet, walk through door, cabinet over toilet, hanging closet or pantry next to the toilet, gas stove, microwave over it, and sink. The cabinets are under & over the stove and sink and then over the sofa. I also have a tv nook in the bunk, another cabinet, and the full cabinet across the front of the bunk. Lots of storage! I had a custom plan and I love it! Look on this site at trailer layouts. I do not regret the large frig....especially if you are camping for a few days straight.
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-17 11:20 PM (#51651 - in reply to #51640)

Regular

Wow. Home away from home! Will check out those layouts, thanks!

lisa.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-18 9:25 AM (#51656 - in reply to #51493)

Veteran

I have an 8' SW in my Silverlite & have the toilet/shower combo, fridge, stove top, sink, good counter space, bench type couch, etc - but the table top(s) are the fold down from the wall (on spring loaded hinges) so they work really nicely - up for when you need them & fold down out of the way otherwise.  The trailer comfortably sleeps 2 in the GN, and 1 lg or 2 small on the slide out couch.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-11-18 4:40 PM (#51662 - in reply to #51656)

Extreme Veteran

Just my 2 cents . I have done what you are talking about 4 times and if it were me I would find one with full LQ about 5 or 6 years old and buy it . It is easier to add a room onto your house than it is to do one of these. And a whole lot quicker! Of course you can't stand back and say I did it myself. Whatever you decide good luck!!
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-18 7:13 PM (#51666 - in reply to #51656)

Regular

Thanks Abbey. Sounds like 8' is definitely the route to take. What a nice little nest you have. I am really starting to get psyched for this. Appreciate your advice and thank you again. lisa.
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-18 7:23 PM (#51667 - in reply to #51662)

Regular

Hello Ice CRM, well I can see your point, but there are a few limitations to consider for myself moneywise especially. First I have to pay for this trailer with my own limited part-time job income as it is the only way my spouse will not give me grief for replacing the old trailer. So my budget is pretty pitiful and I have to buy one I can afford. However, I have located one that is 3 years old and may possibly be in my range payment-wise, but I still need to do a bit more research first.

We have built many things before, including the house we live in - 85 percent of it by our own hands (took 1-1/2 years to do it, long story there...) but like you say we can stand back and say "We built this ourselves" and really mean BY ourselves (grin). Plus we built a slide-in camper that nobody believed we did, so, that's okay. We're up for it.

Thanks for your feedback!
lisa
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-11-19 3:41 PM (#51691 - in reply to #51667)

Extreme Veteran

Another thing to consider is that if it is a pro. or factory job it will bring a lot more when you  get ready to sell it than a diy.
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-19 6:30 PM (#51695 - in reply to #51493)

Regular

Yes, that is true ICE CRM. We typically keep our stuff for years and years and don't turn over things often. The trailer I have now is 22 years old, bought new. I finally got a new car after driving the old one for 16 years and 325K miles on it.

But you do have a good point about pro vs. non-pro. Components certainly have improved stylewise for DIY coversions though. Back when we did our camper, many items didn't look so sleek and nice.
GungKay
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-21 10:04 AM (#51757 - in reply to #51493)

hi, have you considered a Silver Lite trailer? They have a model that comes alreay insulated and ready to finish. Our friends have one and love it! good luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)