'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Turnbow Trailers, 1 axle?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-01 8:37 PM
14 replies, 5264 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lindsey
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-30 2:20 PM (#45675)
Subject: Turnbow Trailers, 1 axle?

http://www.turnbowtrailers.com/398/index.htm

I found this trailer while shopping and noticed the one axel. It doesn't seem safe to me, it's a big trailer and there is no area for the weight in the center. All the weight would be on the truck and on the back. It's price ($6,000) seems way to good to be true, so somthing has to be up with it. Seriously though, how dangerous is a one axel trailer?

Thanks

Edited by Lindsey 2006-07-30 2:24 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-30 2:30 PM (#45677 - in reply to #45675)
Subject: RE: Turnbow Trailers, 1 axle?

Elite Veteran

The price does not seem to be listed.  you called and they said the price was $6000.00? 

Seems like a real good deal to me.

farmboy
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-30 2:58 PM (#45679 - in reply to #45675)

Regular

Its not that safe cause if you have a blow out it could be dangerous.You would have to stop when it happens rather than drivin to a area that you could unload your horses
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-30 4:03 PM (#45681 - in reply to #45679)

Extreme Veteran

Pull it with a ton truck should not be a problem and it should carry the weight just fine that is probably a 10 or 12 thousand pound axle with it being dual wheels. But the priceseems a little too good to be true maybe 16,000, looks like it has a hyd jack.
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-30 4:04 PM (#45682 - in reply to #45675)

Veteran

Ah heck, there ain't nothin' wrong with that set up. It has duals on both sides.  What's the chances of both blowing out at the same time and if you're worried about that then how is your dually pick up any safer?  We have 3 barrett cattle trailers that are standard pup trailers for the semi's.  28 1/2' double decked cattle trailers with only one axle under 'em.  Standard semi trailer axle with duals and all, but considering the height, size, and weight, in porportion to this 3 horse it'd be the same thing.  That one axle is probabaly a 10K axle giving ya PLENTY of weight cap. and braking power.  In short, I wouldn't be "skeered" to pull that wagon!

Just my opinion, however opinions are like.... well um, you know the rest!

Talk to ya later....

M.J.

P.S. I sure can't believe that it's only 6K, that must be a spoof, if it's real tell me where it's at and I'll pick it up tomorrow!                

Edited by Broken Bit 2006-07-30 4:08 PM
CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-30 4:05 PM (#45683 - in reply to #45675)

Veteran

After reading your post, I went to the link to look. It is single axle, but dual WHEEL, which I believe would make all the difference. Sounds like a good buy to me. I had a Turnbow for 12 years and it was a great trailer.
farmboy
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-30 4:42 PM (#45685 - in reply to #45675)

Regular

all the trailers I've seen like that had single wheels.I did't know that some had dulls
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-30 7:18 PM (#45690 - in reply to #45675)

Regular

I know that around Kentucky with the Thoroughbred folks, Turnbow is considered one of the best trailers you can get.  I notice it says new Turnbow.  When I was looking to order my new trailer back at the beginning of the year, I contacted Turnbow to see about one.  The metal ones I have seen and had experience with went years and years and held up excellent.  The only thing that steered me from buying one was the fiberglass roof they use.  If it hadnt been for that I would have gotten one.  But the price then was around $20,000 for a 3 horse slant with 10 foot shortwall and that was dealer cost because there is not a dealer close to Louisiana so I could have ordered from the factory themselves at dealer cost.  Very nice folks to deal with and willing to go the extra mile for a customer.  If someone quoted you $6000 on this trailer, I would make sure to get it in writing and see the trailer before you buy to make sure it is not a scam.  Aside from that, I would pay $6000 in a heartbeat and have no worries about a single dual axle and sell the one I just bought!!!!!!!!!!! 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-30 10:04 PM (#45695 - in reply to #45675)

Expert

I looked at a gooseneck Sooner trailer a couple of years ago that had dual rear wheels on a single axle. The axle was set well back and there was a full width rear tack, no rear entry/exit for horses, just the center ramp. Not sure now why I didn't buy it, it was probably 30ft on the floor.
Lindsey
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-31 4:34 PM (#45749 - in reply to #45675)

Thanks for all the responses!

It looks like a great trailer and if it is really that price, someone go get! I saw in add for it on Equine.com I think, it's in Missouri, I can't find the add yet, so maybe they have taken it and someone had bought it??? We just bought a trailer today it's a Kiefer Built, Grand Prix two horse straight load. It's 7 years old, but has only had a horse in it 4 or 5 times, looks brand new. I will get pictures tomarrow, I am pretty proud of our find!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-31 7:40 PM (#45758 - in reply to #45749)

Expert

Duals vs Tandems ???
Hmmmm, this could spark a whole 'nother controversy (-:

Pros for Duals;
Simpler, fewer moving parts; brakes, bearings, etc.
They probably wear the inside tires a bit quicker than the outside ones due to scrubbing, but heck, tandem tires get scrubbed too.
Ahhh, no overloading of one axle due to a nose high trailer on a high truck with high sides.

Anyone want to do the Pros for tandems ?
Other than possible resale value because thats what folk are used to (-:
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-31 8:54 PM (#45765 - in reply to #45675)

Veteran

Ahhhh, good one Reg,

O.K.  I'll try a few... 

(1)Flat tires are easier to change on the single wheel set up then the inside dual would be.  (2)If ya had a bearing burn up due to LACK OF A PRE-TRIP INSPECTION you could pull that tire and rim off and run to a safe spot for repairs. Not with a single axle.  (3)Depending on how the wagon is set up you would obviously have HUGE interior fender wells. (4)Depending on your terain, duals are a very nice place for rocks to lodge up in generally giving you a gut wrenching feeling untill ya figure out what it is causing that wild thumping sound, won't happen with single wheels.  (5)The single wheel, dual axle set up is much more convenient to keep an eye on tire condition and pressure, that inside dual easily gets neglected!  That's a few... Don't get me wrong, I also can see good AND bad things to each of the two set ups, I was just playin' devils advocate with ya Reg.

Talk to ya later...

Edited by Broken Bit 2006-07-31 8:57 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-01 1:52 PM (#45811 - in reply to #45765)

Expert

Originally written by Broken Bit on 2006-07-31 8:54 PM

Ahhhh, good one Reg,

O.K. I'll try a few...

(1)Flat tires are easier to change on the single wheel set up then the inside dual would be. (2)If ya had a bearing burn up due to LACK OF A PRE-TRIP INSPECTION you could pull that tire and rim off and run to a safe spot for repairs. Not with a single axle. (3)Depending on how the wagon is set up you would obviously have HUGE interior fender wells. (4)Depending on your terain, duals are a very nice place for rocks to lodge up in generally giving you a gut wrenching feeling untill ya figure out what it is causing that wild thumping sound, won't happen with single wheels. (5)The single wheel, dual axle set up is much more convenient to keep an eye on tire condition and pressure, that inside dual easily gets neglected! That's a few... Don't get me wrong, I also can see good AND bad things to each of the two set ups, I was just playin' devils advocate with ya Reg.

Talk to ya later...

OK

Let the DIS_CUSS'ING begin;

YaButt...
1) Those of us with 1 ton trucks ("real" 1 tons and above) have had to learn to deal with changing flats on duallies. Same tools, same process.

2) Lack of a pre-trip inspection ? - WHO would skip that ?

3) I don't think the duallie Sooner that I looked at lost any more interior space to wheel wells then a tandem does. It is different shaped space and putting the full width (minus wheel wells) tack room there was probably the best use of that space.

4) First time that happened to me on a truck was in my own back yard. Durned stick of firewood got in there, came up to whack the frame, scared the heck out of me, wondered what I had hit, got out, nothing there.
Started up again, same thing a few ft farther on, hmmmm, OK so I was thinking kinda SLOW that day (-:
Fist size rocks will confuse the heck of you the first time they get stuck in there too. This is just duallie'ness.

5) Nevah evah neglect ANYTHING on your truck or trailer. No excuses, find a way to get in there and check them tires, same problem as on the duallie truck, same solution. OK, so it takes more than a casual glance at the sidewalls - just DO IT !

(-:

{Spechul spelling of "Never" and "Ever" in respectful memory of someone who appears to no longer contribute to the forum}
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-08-01 2:14 PM (#45814 - in reply to #45675)

Expert

The wheel wells are in the tack room on this trailer so that shouldn't be a problem.  My concern would be making turns with the tires all the way at the rear and the toung weight.  Also, on a dual axl trailers if you loose one tire you still have the other holding the trailer up while you change the flat.  If you loose the inside tire, how are you going to safely change that with horses on board?
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-01 8:37 PM (#45842 - in reply to #45675)

Veteran

AMEN, you preach it Rev.! (I mean Reg.) lol 

You know as well as I do that if it causes more work or time... 95% of the people ain't gonna do it!! (ie. checking inside dual regularly)  unfortunate, but true.  Just like the pre-trip scenario... that is an all too common phrase "pre-trip, what pre-trip inspection?"  Let alone a ... dare I say it... POST TRIP INSPECTION!!  You see it every day out there poundin' pavement just like I do, about 50% of those folks ain't got NO business pullin' a trailer, let alone with livestock!  They're the kind of people that are scary enough in just there 4 wheeler (car for all you non-trucker types,lol). 

Boy, I sure did get a bit  here.  My appologies to all my friends and neighbors, please continue as if I'm not even here while I go get another cup of coffee (maybee it'd better be DECAF.).....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)