'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Elastomeric / ceramic thermo-shield coatings (2006 versions)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-21 10:39 PM
14 replies, 4743 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dogtrot
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 5:04 PM (#44983)
Subject: Elastomeric / ceramic thermo-shield coatings (2006 versions)

Hi, Everyone! Thought this topic might merit an updated discussion. Lots of people seem to be attacking the insulation problem from the inside of the trailer (tacking up extruded styro, etc. -- seems labor intensive), but I haven't seen a hearty chat about rooftop heat barriers. (Did a search and found only one reference to Snow Coat dated 2005.)

Given that it's 98 degrees in the shade down here -- and getting hotter -- I figured this subject deserved a little more attention.

I've been corresponding with a few companies about high-emissivity coatings that will adhere to the wide assortment of horse trailer roofing that's out there... Got immediate and professional responses from a few manufacturers, one of which has created a product specifically designed to cool down horse trailers and requires no primer, another of which designed some of the water-based elastomeric heat shield coatings for NASA and is based in all-too-sunny Florida. I'm happy to share the info I've thus far received on these products, but wanted to know if anyone has wrestled with the application of same.

I plan on heat-shielding the matte aluminum roof of a newly purchased Sundowner 777 which is neither double-paneled nor insulated (as are its walls). One of the difficulties will lie in deciding where to end the application, since the roof of this trailer (and most others) curves downward to meet the exterior sides. It would mess up the aesthetics to coat the whole thing, I think. I really like that slick strip of aluminum that shows along the roof edge. There's also the issue of cutting in around roof vents and light fixtures... (Since I'm a lousy painter on the best of days, I may get a paint-and-body shop to do it for me. Spray-on looks better than roll-on.)

FYI -- the new breed of ceramic elastomerics offer heat reflectivity of over 80% with an R-factor of 20 or more (equivalent to 4 inches of foam insulation). How cool is that?

No pun intended.

=======

Edited by Dogtrot 2006-07-18 5:18 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Concrete
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 5:19 PM (#44987 - in reply to #44983)
Subject: RE: Elastomeric / ceramic thermo-shield coatings (2006 versions)

How about a web site. It sounds cool.
Dogtrot
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 5:32 PM (#44988 - in reply to #44983)

There are a bunch of them. I'll give links to the two I've been most interested in, but you can Google "reflective roof coating" or any variation thereof and you'll get a slew of URLs.

Try these:
http://www.icc-astec.com/index.php
http://www.uscoatingsolutions.com/
http://www.thermalcontrol.com/

I'll try to narrow down the product options according to ease of application, cost, warranty, and so forth, and will post my findings.

I hope to make a purchase within the next couple of weeks, although I will probably wait until fall to apply it. The elevated humidity of Florida summer might not allow the application to cure evenly. And I won't be trailering my drafts anywhere 'til the weather cools anyway, so there's no rush to get it done.

Any nifty information y'all get would be welcome.

=====

Edited by Dogtrot 2006-07-19 2:03 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 7:14 PM (#44997 - in reply to #44988)

Expert

My only concern with any of those product is weither or not they will hold up over time with the movement of the trailer.  I'd hate to get my roof done, fix up the inside and then have it start leaking again. 
Dogtrot
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 7:40 PM (#45000 - in reply to #44997)

Terri, I believe that the coatings perform a "double duty" in that they both seal minor leaks AND reduce heat gain. (Don't hold me to this -- the manufacturers may recommend different products for each of these issues.)

With regard to this stuff holding together: That may be why they use the term "elastomeric" -- it suggests that the product is somewhat flexible and will expand/contract with temperature changes without cracking or splitting, as well as flex with the movement of the trailer. I still have lots of research to do, but I'll check this out for you and will post it (along with everything I eventually know about it) at the top of this thread.

=====

Edited by Dogtrot 2006-07-18 7:49 PM
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-07-19 6:46 AM (#45019 - in reply to #44983)

Veteran

. . .heat reflectivity of over 80% with an R-factor of 20 . . .

Does this work only when reflecting heat produced by direct sun? Does it provide the same R-factor when it is cold and you are trying to maintain internal temperatures? I profess to know nothing about insulative properities.
Dogtrot
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-19 8:39 AM (#45029 - in reply to #44983)

I'm going to introduce this forum to three company reps, and will suggest that they offer input. Your question is a good one, but I'm unable to answer it. The URL links in the above post are for the three manufacturers I'm focusing on -- and they've all been excellent correspondents. I'll see if they'll join us online here, and we'll get the low-down on coatings. Keep in mind that these products are extensively used commercially and residentially... I'm thinking of applying a reflective coating to my galvalume roof at home as well as to my trailer. (Used to have more shade, but 2004's hurricanes took care of that for me.)

=====

Edited by Dogtrot 2006-07-19 2:05 PM
Dogtrot
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-19 2:56 PM (#45067 - in reply to #44983)

THERE"S A NEW PRODUCT CALLED "COOL HORSE COATINGS" AND REQUIRES NO PRIMER.

It's designed specifically for horse trailers and barns. You can ask about it through
www.incacoatings.com

The rep (contact Terry McInerney via info@thermalcontrol.com) suggests using Scotchbrite to rough up the current surface and apply two coats of CH202. Then you're done. The rep says it's tough enough for the military and the railroad so it should last the life of your trailer. Spray application is recommended but you can roll it if you don't mind a little texture. It's $145 per gallon, and a gallon should double-coat my Sundowner, which is roughly 112 square feet (15'8" x 6'9").

======
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-19 4:00 PM (#45075 - in reply to #45067)

Expert

Thats a bit pricy, but I guess if it stops the leaks......

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-19 9:23 PM (#45094 - in reply to #44983)

Elite Veteran

I bought something similar that I will use as a paint additive, from a company called HYTECH. I said WILL because as soon as it stopped raining it turned 107 degrees. NOT conducive to painting an aluminum trailer. This can either be in the primer or on top of it but they recommend two coats with the additive. I'm anxious also to hear others experience as I will be doing this as soon as weather allows. It was 11.95 for enough for one gallon of paint; more than enough to do the inside of my 2H GN. Am hoping the white I'm using will also make the insider lighter and more inviting for the horses as well as cooler for me to sleep.

Edited by terri s 2006-07-19 9:26 PM
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-20 7:38 AM (#45111 - in reply to #45067)

Veteran

This sounds like great stuff. I am very interested to hear feedback from any that have used it.  I have been dreading insulating the roof of the trailer. 

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-07-20 9:07 AM (#45122 - in reply to #44983)

Elite Veteran

Not to ask a stupid question, but here goes-

Are you speaking of the elastomeric coatings for the exterior of the roof, or the interior?

I've used Kool-Seal on the exterior before and it is a help. As to leaks, the aluminum roofs pretty much don't leak anyway, I was just trying to reflect heat.

H1
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-20 11:11 AM (#45128 - in reply to #44983)

Elite Veteran

My plan was to use it on the interior, both to insulate and to lighten up the interior of both the trailer and the horse area. Mostly because I was afraid there was no good way to have the outside look good. In checking with the company, they didn't feel it made any difference as long as I was sure to get two coats on.
Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-07-20 9:12 PM (#45161 - in reply to #44983)

You might want to check out the links below. They are for elastomeric insulating paint used on RV's. Should work OK on a horse trailer too. Don't know if they will work on the inside as well as on the outside.

http://www.hytechsales.com/howtopaint/painting_rv.html

http://www.therm-a-shield.com/m/heat3.html

Philippa
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-21 10:39 PM (#45224 - in reply to #44983)

If you coat the exterior of the roof does it also stop the black streaks on the white trailer skin?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)