'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shoulder replacement surgery

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-11 12:59 PM
14 replies, 8625 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

maypearl girl
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-21 11:31 AM (#117873)
Subject: Shoulder replacement surgery

My sister had shoulder replacement surgery and was told she should not ride.  That's not an option. Would like to hear from someone who may have had this surgery and went on to ride again. I think it would help her to talk about it with someone who's been there. We have been trailridding together for the last 8 years and not ready to give it up yet.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-03-21 11:40 AM (#117874 - in reply to #117873)
Subject: RE: Shoulder replacement surgery

Extreme Veteran

Was it recomended that she not ride ever or just untill the injury heals? A friend of mine also had shoulder replacement, but she rides every day with no issues.

Marla
maypearl girl
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-21 11:54 AM (#117875 - in reply to #117873)

It was recommended she not ride again by her surgeon. She's not sure how much mobility she should expect. She's willing to do whatever it takes to get back in the saddle.
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-21 1:35 PM (#117881 - in reply to #117873)

Veteran

I would wait until she is well into recoery to make such a determinations...IF she does not like what she is told, get another opinion..because basically that is what it is...one mans opinion...everyone heals differently..and regains their strenth at a different rate...
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-03-21 1:58 PM (#117882 - in reply to #117873)

Extreme Veteran

Many a doctor have been proven wrong in telling their paitients that they will "never" do something again. I agree with the waiting. Her shoulder will tell her what she can and cannot do. I would also ask the surgeon WHY for the advice of NOT to ride again.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-03-21 6:09 PM (#117891 - in reply to #117873)

I agree with getting another opinion. The whole point of getting new joints is to be able to keep on doing. I had both knees replaced in June of 07, the end of July 07 I was with my pals and on my horse in SD. We did a 3500 mile 15 day horse camp ride. Now when I got home I had to go back to pt......Also had bi lateral carpal tunnel release in 06, got my stitches out of both hands on a Friday and on Saturday rode my horse in a horse show. In case anyone wants to know, I was 55 in 07....and am still riding.....put the very first ride on my 2 yr old Friday (day before yesterday). And yes, I always wear a helmet (Friday added the body protector vest).
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-03-22 8:43 AM (#117903 - in reply to #117873)

Expert

There are things that happen to us in life that are inconvienent.  There are other things that happen in life that are life changing. We often have no say in when those events will happen or how much they will change our lives. But rather, we just have to change our lives and deal with the challenges that we now have.

I had rotator cuff surgery in 1978.  I was 6 months in recovery before I could return to the things I enjoyed, Snow and Water Skiing, Flyfishing, Basketball etc.  But that surgery has had very little effect on my life since. I particapate in all the same activities that I did prior to surgery.  That injury was an inconvenience.

A friend's horse went over a cliff with him, he broke his back in 5 places and broke his pelvis.  He will never be able to do all the things he did prior to his accident. It's been 4 years and he still has to take a LOT of narcotic pain killers every day, just to cope with the pain. His kidneys and other organs are suffering the effects of long term pain killer use. He has gained weight because of his inability to really exercise. His life will never be the same, But he can be productive and enjoy his life.  He has just had to find new hobbies.

My advice is to see how you recover from the shoulder replacement.  If you feel up to continuing your normal activities, great. If you don't, then choose a new hobby.  Maybe instead of riding a horse, you learn to drive them instead.  You can still be involved with horses, just in a safer situation where there is less chance of being thrown.

I feel like the bionic man at times. Rotator cuff surgery, scoped knees for torn menicus, transplanted ligaments in my wrist, hernia surgery, fingers tore off and rebuit. I wonder how my parents and grandparents made it through life with out the modern medical technology we have. We are blessed to have the option of some repairs to our bodies. Be happy that they can do what they can and learn to live to the fullest of what abilities you have remaining. At some point in time, We all have to graduate from young, strong, flexible to "oh my I ache, I wish I had not done that".

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-03-23 1:42 PM (#117946 - in reply to #117873)

Extreme Veteran

I have a friend (age 48) with juvenile rhuematoid arthritis. She had shoulder replacment a couple of years ago and after about 4 months of healing she was back riding and competing in Competitive Trail distance riding events. It all depends on the individual as to how they recover and what risks they are willing to take. Her doctor advised her she didnt need to fall off a horse on that shoulder. She is probably as safe or safer on that horse than driving down the freeway in DFW where she lives. My husband had total knee replacement last summer. Withen 8 weeks he was back riding and had gone back to work driving a truck full time. Had the surgury in June and Thanksgiving we made several 20 mile trail rides in the mountains. When we asked his doctor (whom hikes in the same mountains we ride in) if he could ride, he replied, " Just dont fall off."
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2010-03-24 5:15 PM (#117973 - in reply to #117873)

Veteran

I had shoulder replacement surgery in Dec.09. I am back riding with pretty much full range of motion now in Mar. No pain. But, it might depend on what was done. For me, they cut the ball off and replaced it with a titanium one. Called a hemi-replacement. A full replacement would be including replacing the socket, also. That may be different. My recovery was a piece of cake. I let the doc know up front how active I am and what I expected. The first 6 weeks I did as told, basically nothing but a few stretching exercises. I did do physical therapy for a little while after tht, but found that it helped by just going out a trying to do what I wanted to do. Good luck to your sister.

Judy
blondiemable
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-05-28 2:53 PM (#120700 - in reply to #117873)

New User

I had my right shoulder replaced in May 08 from being bucked off in the round pen and hitting a pipe post. I was back runing barrels and and working cattle in 4 months. I can't get my arm up past about 120 degrees. I can swing a rope and catch, just don't have a lot of delivery power. You just have to figure out different ways to do what you have always done. Saddling up is a chore for a while, but it gets better. Not riding just wasn't an option for me.
cowgirldi
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-05-28 6:46 PM (#120709 - in reply to #117873)

Not to be nosey, but how old is your sister? If she was in pretty good physical shape before the surgery, no severe osteoporosis or anything, and still strong with her other arm/shoulder, get a 2nd opinion from another orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist. I worked for orthopedic dr.'s for years, and I think that if she doesn't have any real problem after the surgery, go for it! She knows her body, and will realize her limits...if there is any! Actually, most of your physical therapists can give you an idea on what she is capable of.  it's just trail riding, and not steer wrestling!! Some physicians just do not realize how strong we women are, no offense doc's!!! I have a pretty cooked spine, scoliosis, and my doc told me to maybe quit riding, but the neurologist I worked for, said it was one of the best things to "strengthen" my back and support my spine better~~ Just think of how many muscles you use just to sit up correctly in the saddle, using your back, legs,arms, abs.....etc! I just turned 50 last summer, and plan on riding until I can't get my butt up in the saddle. I have trail riding buddies in their 60's 70's and even late 80's.....  I have worked with the elderly in a nursing home doing therapies, excercises...and most of them go back to pushing their walkers or wheelchairs after shoulder surgery...and they are over 85!! Do what you can...while you "still" can!! Best of luck to your sister and hope she can continue to ride!!!!! ( but please do get a 2nd opinion just be be sure!!)
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-05-29 5:40 PM (#120723 - in reply to #117873)

Expert

See how the recovery goes, get a second opinion, talk with a riding physical therapist. My husbands spinal surgery went very well, about 8 months later the doc was in town and called up hubby on the cell and went to see hubby at work, shoeing racehorses at the track. Doc was stunned......had no idea the physics involved...was proud of his surgery (went fantastic) but will never tell another farrier he can be back at work in a month! (Hubby waited 4 months) Point being, a riding doc or whatever has more idea of what is involved, good and bad...don't push too much too soon.
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-06-10 11:27 AM (#121032 - in reply to #117873)

Regular

I was in a car accident in 2000, broke neck 6 vertabrae), shoulder (all muscles torn lose), elbow, wrist( 3 bones removed from it) and was told never ever try to ride again if I wasnt willing to get a metal bar put in my neck. Well I listened to my doctor for 4 yrs til I decide sitting around waiting to die at 46 wasnt the way I wanted to live. So I told hubby I was going to start riding again and quit breeding the mares. I have been riding every chance I get since then, have been thrown, bucked, kicked, bit, stepped on, etc  and still love riding! I know I take my chances each time I ride( along with a lot of alieve lol) but for me the choice was clear. Start living or keep dying by doing nothing.The only change I made was getting a gaited horse ( which was a rescue horse and done all the above to me atleast once lol). I also taught him to "park out" no matter where I was and to let me get on him with the aid of a rock, fender, stump, bucket etc.  I hope she can ride again someday! Good Luck to her.  
IndyRacer
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-10 4:01 PM (#121039 - in reply to #117873)

If we all did what our Doctor's told us, we wouldn't need doctors.I had several back fusions. Doctor told me not to do a lot of things, or he actually said "you can never ride a horse again." I have found that my horse and I have an understanding, she won't run and I won't make her. You just have to use common sense with it and just Do It!
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-06-11 12:59 PM (#121059 - in reply to #117873)

Elite Veteran

I agree with the masses... Let your shoulder tell you what you can and can not do.. I was in Ireland several years ago on a horseback vacation.. learning to jump again after 30 years. Met a lady there from England who was in her 80's..she'd had hip replacement surgery several years before . Was still going to this same place year after year on vacation.. Jumping those big Irish hunters cross country.  Your doctor no doubt is reccommending what he thinks best, but quality of life and personal happiness is a big factor.. I say go slow and see what you can manage.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)