'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
A/C for horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-04 8:52 PM
14 replies, 11953 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

two-bays
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-30 10:39 PM (#112625)
Subject: A/C for horses

New User

Does anyone have a trailer with a A/C unit for the horse area?  I live in a hot area, and my horses tend to get sweat.  I had (for the first time) a horse over heat and mildly colic from traveling a few weeks back.  So I've been trying to brain storm some options.  I owne a Sundowner 777 straight load and it has small sliding windows on the escape doors and slider windows along the sides, and of course the roof vents.  So I was thinking if I had a A/C unit, I could close up the windows and make it a quieter environment along with control the temperature.  I wouldn't want the horses getting too cool (of course) but some cooler air blowing on them might help them be more comfortable and less stressed from the lack of sounds of passing semi's and cars etc. 

Anyone have a A/C unit and if so, can it be used while in transport? Can you give me details on how you use it and how you like it etc?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-10-31 7:37 AM (#112628 - in reply to #112625)
Subject: RE: A/C for horses

Expert

Most roof air conditioners require at least 13 amps of 110 ac power to operate. Unless you're prepared to run a generator while en route, it will be difficult to obtain the necessary amount of electricity from other sources.

Gard

shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-10-31 8:01 AM (#112629 - in reply to #112625)

Regular

I had a 'hot' trailer at one time, and had a fan installed. Helped a lot!
two-bays
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-31 8:22 AM (#112631 - in reply to #112628)

New User

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about. (Dang!)
sundownerofaiken
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-10-31 8:34 AM (#112632 - in reply to #112625)

Assuming you are currently riding with all four windows open fully and the roof vents opened forward to force air down on your horses.  There are several ways in addition to adding fans to help cool trailers down.  You can ride with the tail curtains open.  If that is not an option you can add windows in your current tail curtains.  You can line and insulate the horse compartment.  Just remember when you line and insulate your trailer; in the winter time it will hold the heat in just as well as it holds the heat out in the summer so you wil need to keep the roof vents open backwards as well as a window or two cracked to let the heat generated from the horses to escape.  You can add drop feed doors to the two escape doors.  You can paint the roof white there are several materials that work quite well avaiable now talk to your local horse trailer dealer.  I just think by adding an a/c you are opening a new can of worms.  The sudden change in temperature from a nice cold trailer to high summer temperature can cause the same problem you are trying to avoid.  And you can do all of these things mentioned for less money than adding a 13,500 BTU a/c and generator that will run it and fuel. Just my 2 cents.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-10-31 8:44 AM (#112634 - in reply to #112625)

Expert

....... Wonder how many BTU's of A/C it would take to keep two, 1000# horses cool in a 14', two horse, uninsulated trailer in say,,,, 95 degree heat. Maybe bring the inside trailer temperature down to 80 degrees...  Remember, you already got 2000# of meat that radiating about 100+ degrees of heat and alot of humidity!!

Who's our resident HVAC person on HTW???

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-10-31 9:28 AM (#112640 - in reply to #112625)

Elite Veteran

I can't add a lot here- but have been through this enough to know that there are several kinds of heat or situations to deal with. As Retento said- realize a horse is like a 1,000# furnace, so we need to get that heat away from him, and to top it off we may have heat trying to come in. Otherwise- there is heat that is an issue while sitting still, and then moving. White on the roof and roof lining/insulation are very helpful while the trailer is sitting still. Once it is moving, their benefits are negligible. (If you don't think so. Touch a trailer roof on a hot day. 120 degrees plus. As soon as you have trailer movement over 30MPH or so, it cools to ambient.) That is when airflow comes to play. You can have roof vents and windows on the front, but if the air cannot exhaust the rear, you'll have nothing but a large cavitation area filled with hot air swirling around. So- make sure there are large openings at the rear of the trailer as there is a large vacuum there anyway. Remember how the rear doors get dirtiest the quickest? On roof vents- I'd suggest you take a ride in your trailer to feel exactly how yours work. Common sense tells us that they should open forward to push air in. On many trailers, especially bumper pulls, the vents are very far forward and there is a turbulent area on the outside of the trailer over the vent. So a vent open forward can be doing virtually nothing. Open the same vent backwards, and it becomes a vacuum sucking air out. Hopefully air that is coming in trough a side or front window, etc. Just my .02$ worth.

Edited by RTSmith 2009-10-31 9:32 AM
sundownerofaiken
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-10-31 3:09 PM (#112651 - in reply to #112625)

Retento from what I understand from some of the show cattlemen I've run across; they say having a/c units keeps there stock very cool.  Some of them brag about having a 30 degree difference in thier trailer and outside.  I just would hate for someone to spend the kind of money it takes to make the a/c work just to find out they created the same problem they were trying to prevent.

RTSmith you are right the white painted roof does help mostly when sitting still.  The 30 degre nose on the Sundowner helps to make sure air does flow thru the roof vents  when they are opened forward.  The 19 X 53 windows in the back are placed so when they are open it helps to move the air out from the roof vents and the windows in the escape doors when the tail curtains are closed.

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-10-31 5:36 PM (#112656 - in reply to #112651)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by sundownerofaiken on 2009-10-31 3:09 PM

Retento from what I understand from some of the show cattlemen I've run across; they say having a/c units keeps there stock very cool.  Some of them brag about having a 30 degree difference in thier trailer and outside. 

Some of the Cattlemen around this area, the ones that show(big time), keep their show steers in a cooler.  That's right, keep that long hair on them.  Us horse people want them slick.   Weird huh!

tico
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-10-31 6:13 PM (#112657 - in reply to #112625)

tico
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-10-31 6:15 PM (#112658 - in reply to #112625)

You might want to try removing the screening in your windows. You would be surprised how little air actually gets through that screen.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-11-01 6:28 AM (#112666 - in reply to #112625)

Expert

The best horses in the world are hauled everyday without A/C and with the outside noises from traffic ect..... If your horses are having "issues" with being hauled it may be to some other underlying issue. I hate to be the bad guy here but It's really not all that hot in WA. there are horses hauled in the 100+ heat in Texas/NM/Airzona heat every summer without issue. I have ridden in the back of a horse trailer and can verify that there is alot of air movement with the vents open, even at low speeds, this is one reason I won't haul with shavings as I couldn't believe how dusty is was with them flying around. I would try to determine what other issues may be causing your horse to colic/sweat from trailering. Not trying to start a fight, but this years Derby winner was hauled 30 some hours to Louisville in the back of a trailer.
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-11-01 5:50 PM (#112683 - in reply to #112658)

Veteran

Tico is right. Removing the screems will grealy increase the air flow, you may want to keep the screen on near the horses face but remove them from the butt side. I was working on my trailer one day and I fireman was talking to me about air flow in a burning building and screens greatly reduce air flow.
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-11-04 6:33 PM (#112804 - in reply to #112625)

Veteran

YOu can have zippers added to the velcro in screens as well. My 4 Star is very hot. I insulated, added fans, and open the screens. Helps a lot, and this is in Texas.
openrangetrailers
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-11-04 8:52 PM (#112808 - in reply to #112625)

we can and have installed vents and ac's nuera transport is where we buy allot of our products for our trailers and they do have ac units with or without heat strips.http://www.nuera-transport.com/en/transport/

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)