'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Uhwarrie in North Carolina (camps)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-08 9:29 AM
14 replies, 5785 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-08 7:22 PM (#92791)
Subject: Uhwarrie in North Carolina (camps)

Veteran

I KNOW there are some N.C trail riders on this forum!! I would like to go to Uhwarrie (sp?) National Forest to ride/camp. I have heard of 4-B Camp and Canebrake Camp. Would like some info about the best one and how you like the trails.Let me know if you have been recently. The only negative heard about 4-B was the sharing of water. Are they still doing this and if so, did this cause much problem? (I have an LQ trailer.) Thanks for any help!

Edited by galsgottaride 2008-10-08 7:32 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-10-08 8:44 PM (#92794 - in reply to #92791)
Subject: RE: Uhwarrie in North Carolina (camps)

Veteran

We were at 4B Labor Day weekend and that was our second stay with them. You do have to fill up your tank at the barn before you set up camp (there are only electrical hookups at the campsites). They do have a nice, centrally located bath house so once we figured out we wouldn't be hooked up to water, we saved what we had for washing our face, brushing teeth, early morning potty breaks and took showers in the bath house.

I will say this. I don't know how or why it happened and we did not make a big deal out of it but both my trailer and another family's that was plugged into the same "port" had electrical fires (not sure if that's what you'd call it) with our extension cords. Our extension cord was destroyed and we had to replace the male end to the cord that attaches to the horse trailer. The owner had no explanation for our trouble but told the other family theirs was due to the cord being coiled (ours was not coiled). Maybe someone on the forum could explain it to me? All kinds of crazy, weird things happened that weekend so I figured it was par for the course, bought replacements, and prayed we'd get home safe by the time that weekend was through.

The riding at Uwharrie is great. Talk to the locals about which trails are difficult and lengthy. Horses need to have shoes all the way around and be relatively fit. We will probably stay at Canebrake from now on and just carry the generator with us. We enjoyed our last stay at Canebrake.

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-09 9:13 PM (#92851 - in reply to #92791)

I love Uwharrie. I would be sure about the electricity before staying at 4B again because you can ruin your trailer wiring if they are not set up to accomodate your trailer voltage. I have heard that Uwharrie Stables is a wonderful place to stay. It is on Eldorado Road right before you turn to go to 4B. The people there are wonderful and accomodating. I used to stay at 4 B a lot, but have not for quite awhile. Canebrake is good, but you must have a generator in bad weather. The trails are misleading...they seem not too bad but can really put a hurt on a horse that does not have shoes or is not in shape, so ride easy. Also, if it rains, which it does a lot, they are very slick.
Hope this helps. No liquor at all at 4B. DW Who rides a Medicinehat Paint who is brave and true.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-11 10:38 AM (#92901 - in reply to #92791)
Subject: Extension cords.

Expert

Originally written by Lynn0202 on 2008-10-08 6:44 AM

I don't know how or why it happened and we did not make a big deal out of it but both my trailer and another family's that was plugged into the same "port" had electrical fires (not sure if that's what you'd call it) with our extension cords. Our extension cord was destroyed and we had to replace the male end to the cord that attaches to the horse trailer. The owner had no explanation for our trouble but told the other family theirs was due to the cord being coiled (ours was not coiled). Maybe someone on the forum could explain it to me? 

A coiled cord vs an uncoiled cord could be destroyed because of heat build-up.  The coils hold heat while a stretched out cord can dissipate the heat from too much power.

Length and wire gage are huge factors in extension cords.  Too long and too small for the power drawn will cause the cord to overheat.  The fuse/CB on the circuit will not protect the ext cord.

Having two LQ trailers on the same power post will aggravate the issue.  Two heavy power users will create a voltage drop causing more heat in the wires and connections.

Further, Cords too long and too small are very bad for motors in a/c units, refrigerators, furnaces, etc.  Motors are sensitive to voltage drop.  A/C units are particularly sensitive since the compressor motor is sealed and starts frequently

You would have been better served to plug the trailer cord directly to the power post.  (I'll bet that your ext cord is not as heavy as the trailer's cord.)

Edited by hosspuller 2008-10-11 10:48 AM
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-10-11 11:45 AM (#92904 - in reply to #92901)
Subject: RE: Extension cords.

Veteran

Hosspuller - You are right. The cord from the trailer was much heavier than the extension cord. When we bought replacements, we bought a 12 gauge extension cord because it was the lowest gauge that had the typical plug on it (we originally picked up the 10 gauge but couldn't find an adapter for it). That extension cord is the one we had used since buying the trailer in 07 but figured if the gauge was too high maybe it had finally given up. We think the burned up extension cord was a 14 gauge.

We're hoping for better luck and no surprises when we take it out next to Ward in November.  Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Lynn0202 2008-10-11 11:47 AM
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-11 8:23 PM (#92914 - in reply to #92851)

Veteran

Okey-Dokey, folks....thanks for your help. My guys are barefoot (tough as nails) but I carry Easy Boots (EPIC) for the really rough ones. I figured to put water in the fresh water tank and shower at the bath house may be what I needed to do. Will probably stay only a weekend, so I guess I can survive anything for a weekend. South Carolina folks (North Carolina too)..you should try Cooper-Black Natural Area in the S.C. Sandhills State Forest. I go fairly often and this is the best time to be there.(Too dang hot in July/Aug!) It is a very nice facility for camping and your horses, trails hard packed sand through nice pine forests...easy, .very relaxing. If you haven't been, give it a try. I expecially like it in the fall and winter. There!! My plug for a good place! Can you compare the Uhwarrie trails to anything in N.C., S.C. Va? I'm going to try to get there before the middle of Nov. How does the weather hold up then? Thanks again everyone!
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-10-12 9:46 AM (#92922 - in reply to #92914)

Veteran

Gals - We're heading to H Cooper in about an hour for a day ride. :)
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-27 6:46 PM (#93745 - in reply to #92922)

Veteran

Took me awhile to get back to the forum!How was you day ride at C-B? Going back to camp for a few days second weekend in Nov. You can just about ride there all fall and winter. Lots of people back off because of the dog trials, but we never have had a problem. Once you know the trails, you can navigate around all of that. They are starting to slow up now. Actually, they are having an endurance competition the weekend we will be there , but those riders have their own trails and anyway, we will just "move on over" so they can get on down the trail should we encounter some! That will be interesting. I would like to learn more about the endurance stuff...not to do it...just to see what it's all about.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-10-28 6:37 PM (#93827 - in reply to #93745)

Extreme Veteran

quote: "I would like to learn more about the endurance stuff...not to do it...just to see what it's all about."

Be careful. Once you learn, you might want to try ....

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-10-28 7:29 PM (#93830 - in reply to #93745)

Veteran

It's always a beautiful ride at HC. The trials have never bothered us.

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-28 8:45 PM (#93837 - in reply to #93830)
Subject: RE: Uhwarrie in North Carolina (camps)and H Coo[er Black

Hey-I live about 10 miles from H Cooper and ride there all the time, so if you guys go riding there, give me a shout via email--I'd love to ride with you. Thanks.Deb Medicinehatgirl
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-31 6:39 PM (#94053 - in reply to #93827)

Veteran

I know....you got me! I thought about that after I "said" it...really, the big drawback for me would be that the mileage you do would kill me! Ha! (I've had a knee replacement) The knee usually does fine, but really long days in the saddle (ie: Iron Mtn. Mt. Rogers, etc) sure makes it sore) Don't know if I could handle those. But...I always like to learn about other disciplines...and.....I guess you don't really ever know what could happen. You guys have my respect!
Toranoda
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-11-01 1:03 PM (#94073 - in reply to #92791)

Boy all you S.C. riders sure are bring back memories. I'm from down around Camden but have been in Va. for 7 years now. Been to all those places and had great times. Now I'm just 25 miles from Iron Mtn. Summers are hot there but winters are cold here. Thanks for the memories.
rockin kgin
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-12-07 10:59 AM (#95864 - in reply to #94073)

Jackie,

Where are you in Galax? I'm in Laurel Fork.

Ken

Toranoda
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-12-08 9:29 AM (#95901 - in reply to #92791)

I'm in Galax.  Not really that far from you. Maybe when the weather warms we could get together and ride some.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)